• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Locked out of my laptop - 0wned is I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
So my sister got a laptop from her work to take home, I was messing around with it and deleted the user that was already on it, and put myself on. And I'm pretty sure I set it to log me on automatically.

But now whenever I reboot the PC it says incorrect user and password, with my details automatically entered.

This is on Windows 2000 Professional by the way. Anyway to get round this?

Not too bothered about formatting or anything like that, and was gonna install XP on it too.

So yeah, I can log back in right? Right!?

gblues

Banned
Does it actually let you enter a different username/password? Try "Administrator" with an empty password and see if it lets you in.

If not.. sing the Dell song:
"Fdisk-format-reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah..."

Nathan

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
heh, cheers for the replies guys. Will try both of those, the laptop is round the other house, so will report back tomorrow if it works.

EDIT - That NTpassword boot disk seems awful complicated, gonna need to print out that page and go through it. Or I might just go with a format, not really anything on the laptop that I don't mind losing seeing as though it's not mine and it's not going back to the old user. How would I set about formatting? Not technically literate folks, feel free to poke and laugh.

gblues

Banned
Just boot off the Windows 2000 CD-ROM (or, if you're putting XP on, boot off that instead). The setup routine does the rest.

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom