• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech investigating feasibility of a subscription based 'forever' mouse (possibly keyboards too)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-a-forever-mouse-thatrequires-a-subscription/

Logitech CEO Hanneke Faber recently discussed the possibility of one day selling a mouse that customers can use "forever." The executive said such a mouse isn't "necessarily super far away" and will rely on software updates, likely delivered through a subscription model.

Faber, who Logitech appointed as CEO in October, said that members of a "Logitech innovation center" showed her "a forever mouse" and compared it to a nice but not "super expensive" watch. She said:

... I’m not planning to throw that watch away ever. So why would I be throwing my mouse or my keyboard away if it’s a fantastic-quality, well-designed, software-enabled mouse? The forever mouse is one of the things that we’d like to get to.

Speaking with Faber, Decoder host and Verge Editor-in-Chief Nilay Patel suggested that a "forever mouse" could cost $200. While that would be expensive compared to the typical mouse, such a product wouldn't be the first software-heavy, three-figure-price computer mouse. Still, a price tag of around $200 would limit the audience to professionals or enthusiasts.

To be clear, Logitech hasn't announced concrete plans to release such a product. But Faber seemed optimistic about the idea of a mouse that people never need to replace.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah when the cloud goes down you can’t do shit.

But when is the cloud gonna go down ?

Ah I prefer to keep my stuff as my stuff this rent to own model is where I draw the line for physical items.

I’m annoyed that software seems to be taking this route.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
$200 and $100 a year for updates? Sign me up! We will own nothing and like it. Paying once and getting away with it. Not on their watch.
I don’t think it’s going to be a 2030 conspiracy that turns the world like this but the big businesses.

If they can make it that we pay to buy then Pay to continue to use something they will damn well sure try and do it.

I can see this coming a mile off
You can opt out but I bet the FOMO will be a big big selling point, that an enforced obsolescence of older products.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I have mice that I bought 7 years ago. The only reason why I actively buy new mice is to get everything unified to USB-C.

There is no such thing as a forever mouse as you're still going to have physical wear and tear, so unless you're including a lifetime warranty, that's pointless, not to mention that any subscription cost would be largely pointless.

For enterprise, I wouldn't even buy a 200 dollar mouse with a lifetime warranty, unless I could use that warranty anytime I wanted for any reason I wanted. When a new end user comes through, they want a new mouse. Maybe I'd do this for government/military, but not corporations.

ssringo

The only "forever mouse" (or keyboard) I need is one that doesn't break/fail from use. And while I've used some for a long time, they all have hardware failure at some point. If they can make one that never fails then I'm in. If I can forgo software updates and keep using it then great but if my shit stops working because I didn't pay a subscription fee you can get fucked with a rusty spoon.

All that said, I love Logitech. Their stuff always lasts the longest for me and performs perfectly fine for my work and gaming needs.

BlackTron

Logitech is straining hard to apply a sub model. You'd think the only reason someone would buy a super expensive mouse is because it's extremely dependable and lasts forever. That kinda goes away by tying it to a subscription meaning it's a product for fools with a lot of money to feel like they're getting a premium experience.

Garibaldi

There'll be a subscription on my toilet seat soon enough. Jesus, this recurring revenue push for every damn thing is getting tiresome.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s going to be a 2030 conspiracy that turns the world like this but the big businesses.

If they can make it that we pay to buy then Pay to continue to use something they will damn well sure try and do it.

I can see this coming a mile off
You can opt out but I bet the FOMO will be a big big selling point, that an enforced obsolescence of older products.
I mean that phrase isn’t a conspiracy - it was proudly on the WEF website. The WEF isn’t a governmental organisation, but a private group consisting of the leaders of big business and individual politicians.

I saw a YouTube video recently about an EV with a subscription to operate the sunroof. Personally, I am going to resist this garbage for as long as possible.

Last edited:

kikkis

This not going to work, so only other solution is to decrease workforce to account reducing sales. Which anti-capitalists condemn as well, so its really damned if you do damned if you dont.

Comandr

helena bonham carter what GIF

Am I dumb? How does this model even make sense? Fundamentally, a mouse just needs to move a cursor and click to perform various actions. What possible updates could they provide that could justify an annual subscription? Furthermore, I feel like a $200 mouse SHOULD last virtually forever. I've been using a Logitech MX Anywhere 3 for nearly 3 years, about 10 feet from the computer, even as far as 30-40 feet in the kitchen and it's been flawless. I don't even have the logi software installed.

The general computer mouse is such a inherently simple product, I can't conceive how you could get away with something like this, unless you were doing it for
exploitation.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Currently use the MX Ergo trackball as my main mouse. I like it. Its comfortable, wireless blutooth, rechargeable and Buttons are remappable. But it still recharges using the old micro USB.
Are there any other trackballs out there that can do everything? I’ve found several that do everything except the button remapping.

Last edited:

Miles708

helena bonham carter what GIF

Am I dumb? How does this model even make sense? Fundamentally, a mouse just needs to move a cursor and click to perform various actions. What possible updates could they provide that could justify an annual subscription? Furthermore, I feel like a $200 mouse SHOULD last virtually forever. I've been using a Logitech MX Anywhere 3 for nearly 3 years, about 10 feet from the computer, even as far as 30-40 feet in the kitchen and it's been flawless. I don't even have the logi software installed.

The general computer mouse is such a inherently simple product, I can't conceive how you could get away with something like this, unless you were doing it for

The Office What GIF

These companies are high on their hubris.
This and this

lmimmfn

No, these mouse clicks fucks up easily.
That's a better model for a mouse subscription, limit the number of clicks that register on the PC per month. 3 months free, €5 per month for 1000 clicks, €13 per month for unlimited.

Double the subscription price after 4-5 years and continue to increase it moving forward.

Three

The only way I would ever pay $200 for a "forever mouse" is if it's a smartwatch with hand and gesture tracking and syncs to whatever device I point at. Otherwise you can get lost with that pricing and definitely get lost with a sub on top.

Astray

Yeah this will not fly in the gaming space, where chinese mice that match or beat flagship at cheap prices are rife on AliExpress.

The only way such a plan works is if it's done in the enterprise channels. And even then it might not work.

MikeM

Gold Member
The audacity of some of these companies. Everyone is chasing the sub revenue. Buy and own what you can now I guess…

Three

Currently using a Logitech M-S48A ball mouse from 1998.
It's older than a lot of Gaffers.
Works perfectly.

I expect it to last the rest of my lifetime.
I have a 1996 ball mouse with scroll and a 1999 MS intellimouse Explorer (first ever optical mouse) and they both still work too. Nobody is going to pay $200 for further durability.

Still using an MX518. That thing is already forever, as it should be.
Less satisfied with its succesor the G500, which needed to be replaced after buying it, the laser sensor being fucked, out of the box, and now and then the left click does not work correctly since a few months.

Audiophile

I expect it'd get hacked and folks 'll just create a third party piece of software (that probably works better, for free..) that'll cover any complex functionality.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They make my favorite keyboard atm but no I would never pay a subscription for such a thing.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Their mice are shit, so good luck.......cant even tell you how many of their ordinary mice with just normal everyday use, the left click starts double clicking on its own with a single click.

Trogdor1123

my first thought is how are they going to justify the costs of the subscription? It’s not like mouse software changes much. Maybe if they sent you a new piece of hardware yearly or something but it doesn’t sound this way. It just doesn’t make any sense at all.

I’m not opposed to subscriptions that provide value, I think they are a great option. But this, provides no value and isn’t a good option

Shubh_C63

Subscription based Wires and Chargers
Subscription based Special "WASD" replacement premium package
Subscription based Mouse Pad, they gift you new one every month with a new Art and takes back the old one

Top Bottom