• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech investigating feasibility of a subscription based 'forever' mouse (possibly keyboards too)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
As yes lets compare it to a high end luxury watch which has a fixed one off cost and no subscription. Makes perfect sense.

Tams

They aren't even trying to hide it.

Logitech are in the doldrums, so what do they do? They hire a CEO from the make-up and cosmetics world. You don't need to guess where that is going to go...

Hence we get the 'innovative' idea of a 'forever' mouse. Geez, how much did that genius in their Irish 'innovation' centre get paid for that zinger. Of course, that's not enough. No, let's add a subscription! It'll 'enhance' the user experience! 'It's what people want!'

Fuuuuuuuck off. Make a new G13 and some interesting mice for a change.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This has D.O.A. written all over it, how can they not see this considering how utterly fickle the PC market is when it comes to attempts to fuck them over

Solarstrike

Looking at her resume. What a little demoness she is. From a VP at a chemical company who's poisoned the world (Procter & Gamble Co) to another higher position at Unilever who poisoned people (Unilever in India 2016, Mercury poisoning, among others). Now she's at a company which makes computer peripherals. Wear gloves while using Logitech!

Last edited:

Akuji

Get this. Slightly related.

Toyota has a patent that will let them charge you a monthly fee to keep using your keyfob after your car reaches 10 years old.

Luxury carmakers have patents that will let them turn on or off your heated/cooled seats and certain other luxury features if you don’t pay a subscription fee.

None of these are in use yet, but the patents exist.
Doesnt matter, if.they dont put it in the contract when i buy, its not happening.

Just dont buy from asshole companies.

BlackTron

Logitech's problem is that I've been using the same mini wireless mouse daily for over ten years with zero malfunctions and it cost like ten dollars. The thing is I never have any idea if new tech is as good or dependable as old so I'm always territorial over my old stuff. My experience aligns perfectly with this guy:

The second reason is because Logitech is designed to last. A few years back, I traveled to the Logitech headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, and showed one of the engineers a well-worn Logitech laptop mouse that I'd been carrying around in my backpack for about a decade. When I mentioned that it still worked perfectly, the engineer replied, "Why wouldn't it?"

So the laptop mouse was designed to last already but now that's two hundred dollars plus sub. What a stunt.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Maybe the US Government will fork over money for hardware subscriptions.
My taxes wasted at Intel, might as well increase the national debt some more on this crazy.

Solarstrike

7AOtcGt.png

Is it logical to use Logitech?..
article credit: Newsweek

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Any mouse is potentially "forever". The scroll wheel rubber usually goes bad first. Buy a backup and you're set for life.

Last edited:

Robins

This is insane to me. I have £6 Chinese brand wireless mice that I've used for years without failure. Madness.

nikos

Doesn't make sense to me. My G915 cost over $200, Viper V2 Pro $150, and I still don't want to keep them for too long. Aside from technology always progressing, this stuff starts to feel worn after a while even if you take really good care of it.

I'd maybe pay a sub to get a fresh flasghip mouse and keyboard every so often, but it would have to be worth it.

MacReady13

Honestly and truly, when does this subscription madness end? I'm at a loss at to how anyone could think this is a viable way to run this stuff. Yet I say this and there are probably 10's of 1000's (possibly millions) who lap this nonsense up.

TheBreezyBB

I just wanna say that i replaced my g9x (yes G9x) last week. If i could find another g9x i'll buy it again.

Subscription based mouse, i'll just say This now anyone who supports this shit should be publicly treated like a witch in the middle ages.

Top Bottom