• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for the name of an old arcade game...

I think it was by Atari.

Things I can remember about it:

* Sit down unit
* Futuristic hovercraft type racer
* You could get ship upgrades like wings, guns etc...
* I believe it was wireframe.
* raced along tracks with tubes, ramps etc..

Anyone know what this was called?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ronabo said:
Sounds like Stunrunner.

Yes!
This game was awesome! I played it whenever I got dragged to Chuck E. Cheese for some lame ass party.
Although I believe you sat on a motorcycle, right?

Ronabo

My friend Mike could beat this game on one quarter back in the day.

It sucks that Midway pulled it off the Arcade Classics 2 roster.

mS.T.U.N._Runner.jpg

1067369508.jpg

yS.T.U.N._Runner.png

xS.T.U.N._Runner.png

wS.T.U.N._Runner.png

Hot Damn I loved this game! I would love to buy the sit down unit..

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There's a Williams arcade game (I think it was Williams or Midway) I'm trying to track down.

You're a robot and you could transform into a plane. The robot looked like a Veritech fighter somewhat...

Can't recall the name for the life of me.

Dilbert

DaCocoBrova said:
There's a Williams arcade game (I think it was Williams or Midway) I'm trying to track down.

You're a robot and you could transform into a plane. The robot looked like a Veritech fighter somewhat...

If you didn't say "arcade game," my first guess would have been Thexder...but that was a PC game.

(By the way -- I used to LOVE that game. On the PCjr, it had polyphonic sound and a better color palette, so it was a lot better than the mainstream PC version. Someone needs to remake it for GBA or something...)

Road Blasters>>Stun Runner. I held the top score at my local chuck e cheese on Road Blasters for like 4 years. I should go back and see if its still there...

DaCocoBrova said:

Blaster?

It ALWAYS would just drive me that Atari was NEVER smart enough to port...

STUN Runner,
Steel Talons
Hard Drivin
Race Drivin
T-Mek

to the Jaguar.

These were A titles that people had actually heard about and they never put 2 and 2 together.

vireland

As long as we're identifying obscure or semi-obscure arcade games, here's one I can't remember the name of at all:

It was a overhead vertically scrolling shooter. I think the cabinet was a conversion. Had three levels of ship docking. That is, you could stack your ship upwards. There were multiple powerups, including one that shot pink "O" shaped rays in rapid succession. You flew over cities mostly, but it may have been over other environments. I played it to death at 25 cents a pop sometime between 1982 and 1985. I *think* the name started with a "B", but I'm not positive.

Anyone know this one?

...Bueller?

vireland

Hey, is that you Vic? I haven't seen you post here in ages.

Yeah. I had an account a long time ago pre-board crash/move/whatever, and never signed up again until someone here wanted a LUNAR manual and I couldn't reply, PM, or otherwise contact him to help him out without registering. So, re-registered, and now can post when I get the time to scan the boards here and find an interesting or potentially helpful topic like this.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
vireland - that sounds sort of like ufo robo dangar. also might be terra cresta or slap fight. or something else altogether.

Shouta

Yeah, I haven't seen you post since we traded arguments way back on the Snowboards incarnation of the GA Forums. Good to see you around. Kind of miss the old RPG discussion crew. Now if Artful Dodger and EvilGreenRanger were around.

Oh yeah, I'm going to toss you a PM in a few.

vireland

vireland - that sounds sort of like ufo robo dangar

I think you're right. It's Dangar. There are two weird things about how memory plays tricks on you:

1. I don't remember ANYTHING about the UFO ROBO part of the title. I don't even remember seeing it on the marquee or title screen. But, it's there...strange.

2. I have no memory at all about the first level in the game. I always remembered it as starting in the cityscape.

Oh, and memorization shooters will kick your butt if you haven't played in 19 years.

Thanks for figuring it out!

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a tough one that I've been trying to remember:

This arcade game was very Diablo-esque. Despite being on a 2-D plane, it shared tons of similar traits. A central hub town on the upper world where you could buy items, equipment, etc. You could travel around and talk to NPCs, or head deep underground into the dungeons. I believe the fighting was similar to Actrasier, if I remember correctly. Another cool thing was that Arcade cabinents could be linked, adding 2 player simultaneous action. Any ideas on what the game could be?

Pimpbaa

-jinx- said:
If you didn't say "arcade game," my first guess would have been Thexder...but that was a PC game.

(By the way -- I used to LOVE that game. On the PCjr, it had polyphonic sound and a better color palette, so it was a lot better than the mainstream PC version. Someone needs to remake it for GBA or something...)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,49/

Goin by the pics there, the regular PC version looks more like the amiga version (which should be the most accurate version). I loved this game, what was it originally released for in japan?

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
drohne: Holy shit... you were right. Me and my brother used to play this game religiously back in the day. Time for sweet, sweet nostalgia to kick in. Thanks.

Top Bottom