• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

looks like Infamous gonna get the classic playstation backseat treatment

A fairly popular game last gen, Infamous from sucker punch has only received one sequel this generation. and to be frank probably the only one we're gonna get for a while. Infamous SS was a warmly received game, but not as well as the first two

I personally rank infamous II as the best super hero game along with Batman Arkham City. and its better than Batman arkham city in some aspects. but I like batman too much to give it the title . anyway. I think both Infamous 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games, the first one had that comic book style story telling which is similar to the one we saw in Sly cooper. and I thought it was great

the gameplay was very repetetive in the first game and it had repetetive missions. but the combat was satisfying feedback wise and the story was top notch. so I didn't care too much for that

but infamous 2 improved on every aspect, graphics, gameplay, variety, controls, the actual world. it was an amazing game and I probably had the most fun in it . I didn't think I would like the infamous franchise but Infamous 2 was just so much better than the first even tho I liked the first a lot too.

SS was an improvement graphically. was still a really good game, but the powers seemed rather quantity instead of quality, the story wasn't very likeable neither were the characters but the world was well built. but not exactly the best setting.

overall its a shame to see this IP probably be shelved for an another 4-5 years before its given the -outsource-to-some-cheap-3rd-party-dev-situation-then-be-surprised-its-mediocre-pikachu-face

we saw that happen with Sly thieves in time, which was originally to be developed at SP but later canceled because they couldn't work on two games at once in the mid 2000s. given to Sanzaru which were not capable of making the game as they are a very small studio. and we ended up with an unfinished product

the only studio that actually made good games for Sony IPs is Ready at Dawn (which despite 1886 sony should acquire them btw) with Daxter, and the amazing GoW psp games. otherwise everything else was a fail . (LBP 3)

it has a lot of potential being a super hero game around decision and karma and all. its my favorite Sony IP along with Resistance from last generation.

I never get Why sony seems to willingly abandon games that review and sell well and have fans. I mean I get that you don't have enough staff to make Ghost of tsuishima and infamous 4, but can you hire more people so they can make both? that'd be great

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think you'd have a hard time selling InFamous in a world where we're about to get a whole bunch of Marvel games. Second Son didn't exactly set the world on fire and Crackdown 3 seems to be generating a really low amount of hype.

I do love the first two, though. Will definitely play the 2nd again.

I think you'd have a hard time selling InFamous in a world where we're about to get a whole bunch of Marvel games. Second Son didn't exactly set the world on fire and Crackdown 3 seems to be generating a really low amount of hype.

as far as I know SS sold the best in the franchise. its better than the first gameplay wise. but not the second. it wasn't the best upgrade but I guess it was a cheesy spin off.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
as far as I know SS sold the best in the franchise. its better than the first gameplay wise. but not the second. it wasn't the best upgrade but I guess it was a cheesy spin off.

A lot of people got InFamous bundled in with their PS4s, any sales data is pretty corrupt on that end. I did like SS, but I think it demonstrated that the series was a little stale. You'd have to really find something unique in the next one.

A lot of people got InFamous bundled in with their PS4s, any sales data is pretty corrupt on that end. I did like SS, but I think it demonstrated that the series was a little stale. You'd have to really find something unique in the next one.

I think the lesson from SS is just to not make an edgy teeny story and focus on one power with a couple of subsets instead of many genericly similar powers.

Halo0629

One of the few games last gen that introduced me into open worlds and love the series even though It was also a repetitive collect a thon game , still kinda bummed out that they got rid of Cole MacGrath when he was like the face of the series, Delsin was ok but Cole was just more iconic.

One of the few games last gen that introduced me into open worlds and love the series even though It was also a repetitive collect a thon game , still kinda bummed out that they got rid of Cole MacGrath when he was like the face of the series, Delsin was ok but Cole was just more iconic.

cole was cool. the lightning at the end of 2 made it look like he was still alive. they should have just kept him honestly. he was learning new skills and all in the second game. and festival of blood was a fun side game for halloween.

My first Infamous game was SS and I loved it! Have been really wanting a sequel since. The setting and atmosphere was perfect for me. Felt old school. I hope it comes back!

Akira1983

Banned
Classic backseat treatment?

It got one major sequel and a stand-alone expansion pack / spin off

Sucker punch is now doing ghosts of Tsushima which looks amazing

You’d rather Sony peddles ips to other first party devs to crank out sequels ?

I’m sure we’ll see another someday, but no platform holder invests more in big budget AAA single player focused games than sony

So your criticism seems unfounded

Classic backseat treatment?

It got one major sequel and a stand-alone expansion pack / spin off

I’m sure we’ll see another someday, but no platform holder invests more in big budget AAA single player focused games than sony

So your criticism seems unfounded

It does. has nothing to do with what I said

no read what I said again. expand or open more studios. problem solved?.

if they are so willing to invest in first party how did microsoft outnumber their first party studios in few months? i mean sure. we will see if they pay off? but realistically i expect the games to be decent. and Sony won't be the clear cut winner in first party anymore.

Ka-Kui

I must be one of the few that preferred Infamous 1 over 2. For some reason I feel that the original is more polished than 2, and not only that I thought the story was also much better executed.

I haven't played Second Son so I can't judge that. However this is a franchise that I like so I'd of course hope it'll make its way back again at some point.

I must be one of the few that preferred Infamous 1 over 2. For some reason I feel that the original is more polished than 2, and not only that I thought the story was also much better executed.

I haven't played Second Son so I can't judge that. However this is a franchise that I like so I'd of course hope it'll make its way back again at some point.
the story is better than 1 but its hard to say to me that gameplay is better in 1 because the missions were just too repetetive

hyperbertha

Infamous has always been a B tier series for me. It never quite reached the quality level of top AAA contemporaries. And shame on you for comparing it to Arkham city. Not even in the same league imo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The first 2 Infamous games and Resistance trilogies are two huge games I want ported to PS4. They need to be played again.

Fbh

I can't be too mad since Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing.

But yeah, It's a shame to see Infamous be left behind. SS had potential but I think it ultimately suffered from having to be ready for the launch window and being the first "next gen" game from the studio. The side content was really bad, I agree the powers felt like quantity over quality and it's the only game that has negatively surprise me with its length this gen, I remember seeing the credits and being like "wait, that's it?".

I think someone like Insomniac could take over the franchise but financially it would make no sense since there's no way it would sell as well as a hypothetical Spiderman 2

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh infamous wasn’t that good imo. To me it’s short popularity was only because it was a exclusive at the beginning of the gen.

Whole bunch?

AV

Last edited:

Bluecondor

I played the first Infamous, but never really got into it. Last year, one of my students wrote about the plot of Infamous: Second Son in an ethics paper. It sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a try. I loved the game and played it all the way through last summer.

I recently bought the follow up to Infamous SS - Infamous First Light, which is based around the SS character, Fetch. This is probably going to be my Christmas Break game, as I have been played RDR2 for awhile and am ready for a change of pace.

A.Romero

I liked it (got SS bundled with my PS4) but I'm not sure I'd pick up a new entry. I think its a fun and competent game but at this point I'd like to see other super hero games before going back to it. I think Sucker Punch will make big bucks if Marvel games intends to increase their output in the near future.

I mean, I could see an X-Men game having pretty much the same story and maybe similar powers but by using more iconic characters.

Vawn

Banned
I'm fine with these studios treating new IPs, rather than Assassin's Creed-ing the hell out of them.

I'll gladly take Ghosts of Tsushima over another inFamous.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

For one in the first InFAMOUS you have nice amount powers without ever need to pause to switch out powers like you have to in 2nd game and shield in first game pretty useful unlike 2nd game. What I liked about the 2nd game that you crazy amount of enemy types you can fight and some of them as bing building.

InFAMOUS Second Son has waaay more powers but none of them is developed or fun to use as electricity in first or even second game. If you played First Light DLC, Fetch's Neon powers is better than all Delsin's powers put together because her neon power much better developed. You can even unlock Deslin in Fist Light to play the challenge stages but he controls like a tank by comparison. But worst part about Second Son for me is the enemy diversity is went waaaaaaaaay down especially compare to InFAMOUS 2.

gioGAF

You are not :)

I agree, I enjoyed 1 much more than 2. I would say 1 >> 2 >> SS. The story in 1 is leagues ahead of 2 or SS. While the game play can be considered clunkier, the "improvements" did nothing to improve the feeling of power I got on Infamous 1.

On Infamous 1, your powers became better and better as you progressed through the game. For example, your Shock Grenades went from normal to +"Increases knockdown time.", then +"Increases blast range and damage." and finally +"Increases damage and weakened enemies are automatically restrained." when you followed the good karma path and evil karma had its own path. By the end of the game, your powers were amazing and Cole was a bad ass.

The other games (2 / SS) did not follow this model. You gained additional powers, but you would end up switching them out. Instead of being the absolute beast that your were by the end of the first game, now you were kind of like early game Cole with a base power and you could switch that for a variation that did something different. By the end, you had several variations of the same power, no thanks!

I spent more time messing around with full power Cole on Infamous 1 than I did playing 2 and SS combined. I'm pretty sure SS wasn't even really done when they released it judging by the state of the different powers.

In short, I would love to see Infamous 1 again :)

WaterAstro

Because it's not about sales, it's about letting Sucker Punch make something new after making inFamous for a decade.

You don't slap on a few hundred members to a team and think it'll be okay. A studio's culture gets ruined by ideas like that. That's how EA and Microsoft thinks, and they blows up their studios that way.
They're done with inFamous for now and is trying something new and exciting, just like how Naughty Dog can end Uncharted. Sony let's these studios flourish.

GMan72

Neo Member
I never get Why sony seems to willingly abandon games that review and sell well and have fans. I mean I get that you don't have enough staff to make Ghost of tsuishima and infamous 4, but can you hire more people so they can make both? that'd be great

Let me break this down for you right quick. In short it's known as "creative freedom."

Would you rather have Sly, Infamous, and Ghost Of Tsushima from SP or 6 games in one series akin to Halo?

Last edited:

makaveli60

I didn't like the first and the second game, but SS is one of this gen's favorites for me. Technically still amazing, unique setting and mood that I loved (grungy Seattle). 4 very different powers that all were more interesting for me than lightning. So yeah, I like GoT too, but would rather take a sequel to SS. Maybe one day.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A fairly popular game last gen, Infamous from sucker punch has only received one sequel this generation. and to be frank probably the only one we're gonna get for a while. Infamous SS was a warmly received game, but not as well as the first two

I personally rank infamous II as the best super hero game along with Batman Arkham City. and its better than Batman arkham city in some aspects. but I like batman too much to give it the title . anyway. I think both Infamous 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games, the first one had that comic book style story telling which is similar to the one we saw in Sly cooper. and I thought it was great

the gameplay was very repetetive in the first game and it had repetetive missions. but the combat was satisfying feedback wise and the story was top notch. so I didn't care too much for that

but infamous 2 improved on every aspect, graphics, gameplay, variety, controls, the actual world. it was an amazing game and I probably had the most fun in it . I didn't think I would like the infamous franchise but Infamous 2 was just so much better than the first even tho I liked the first a lot too.

SS was an improvement graphically. was still a really good game, but the powers seemed rather quantity instead of quality, the story wasn't very likeable neither were the characters but the world was well built. but not exactly the best setting.

overall its a shame to see this IP probably be shelved for an another 4-5 years before its given the -outsource-to-some-cheap-3rd-party-dev-situation-then-be-surprised-its-mediocre-pikachu-face

we saw that happen with Sly thieves in time, which was originally to be developed at SP but later canceled because they couldn't work on two games at once in the mid 2000s. given to Sanzaru which were not capable of making the game as they are a very small studio. and we ended up with an unfinished product

the only studio that actually made good games for Sony IPs is Ready at Dawn (which despite 1886 sony should acquire them btw) with Daxter, and the amazing GoW psp games. otherwise everything else was a fail . (LBP 3)

it has a lot of potential being a super hero game around decision and karma and all. its my favorite Sony IP along with Resistance from last generation.

Infamous: Second Son was my favourite entry in the series. Nice story and great acting, gorgeous graphics and a cohesive giant city that felt genuinely alive. I like the powers and the way each would change the way you approached a scenario and how you could expand each and switch quickly between abilities and become a true powerhouse during the game. Neon, video, and smoke allowed different combat, video rewarded stealth quite nicely, and they also had a heavy impact in how you traversed the city.

This is another thread where the narrative seems to be that Sony is in decline (although one of the few that did not start with a question and came with a monologue... it is next to a thread aiming to show all Sony FPS’s have failed and are now on the verge of death with PS4) and it is another thread where IMHO you pick a wrong example of this...

Last edited:
Top Bottom