• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like the February 2005 OXM reviews are in.

Mrbob

Credit to jagman on the IGNXBOX board. I figure some people might be interested in some of these scores:

Reviews:
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - 8.7/10
NFL Street 2 - 8.0/10
NBA Street V3 - 9.1/10
Phantom Dust - 7.7/10

Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics - 8.0/10
Mercenaries - 9.0/10
Pinball Hall of Fame - 7.0/10
Chicago Inforcer - 2.0/10
The Punisher - 6.8/10
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf - 8.4/10
GunGriffon: Allied Strike - 5.0/10

Some game of the year awards listed too:

GOTY Awards:
Controller Throwing Moment of the Year - Alma Boss Fight in Ninja Gaiden
Top Party Game - Karaoke Revolution
Best Art Direction - Ninja Gaiden
Best Driving Game - Burnout 3 ... "but for best straightforward racing game" - TOCA 2
Best Action/Adventure Game - Ninja Gaiden
Best Story - Breakdown
Best Developer - Pandemic
Best RPG in a non-RPG game - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
Worst Use of a Movie Liscence - Bad Boys II
Best RPG - Star Wars: KOTOR II: The Sith Lords
Best Fighting Game - Dead or Alive: Ultimate
Please Kill this Genre Award - Vietnam War games
Please expand this Genre Award - Mind Control...PSYCHONAUTS IS COMING!!!
Best Sports Game - Fight Night 2004
Bad Timing Award - Tenchu: Return from Darkness
Snail's Pace Award: Mio & Mayu (Fatal Frame II)
Best Download of the Year - Ninja Gaiden Hurrican Packs Volume I & II
Virtual Man of the Year - Riddick
Most Dissapointing Moment of 2004 - the ending of Halo 2.
Virtual It of the Year - The Arbitor (Halo 2)
Worst Song in a Game - "Riders in the Storm" (NFSU 2)
Virtual Woman of the Year - Maya (Yourself!Fitness)
Most Addictive Game - Ultra Bust-A-Move
Best Dialogue (Shakespeare Category) - Chronicles of Riddick
Best Dialogue (Showgirls Category) - Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Best Multiplayer Game - Halo 2
Game of the Year 2004 - Halo 2 - "Halo 2 is a work of gaming art" - great single player and an even more amazing multiplayer.

Game demos and downloads.

Demos
Star Wars: Republic Commando
MechAssault 2 (Live enabled)
Iron Phoenix (Live enabled)
Ghost Recon 2
EA FIFA 2005 (Live enabled)
Greg Hastings Paintball

Downloads:

FSW Epilogue 2
Halo 2 Main Theme Soundtrack

Prine

Banned
ahh gawd. Where the fuck did mercenerys come from? The game is looking like a must buy

dammit

::Musashi you chump, looks like im picking it up (Trail of tears)

Cool. I hope a lot of people try out Greg Hasting Tournament Paintball on that demo. Its a fantastic game that is very much like a paintball simulator. There's not really anything on the market like it. Hopefully the demo is of the "amatuer" skill class because the "novice" class is pretty easy to blow through. Especially if you've played paintball in real life. The enemy just camps behind bunkers in the back row. The game really gets going in amatuer class though. I haven't reached PRO yet, but my friends tell me its incredible.

Mrbob

Prine said:
ahh gawd. Where the fuck did mercenerys come from? The game is looking like a must buy

dammit

MERCENARIES!!!!!!!

Game of the Month! :D Man I hope EB gets it in!

Where can I find Greg Hasting tournament paintball? I can't find it anywhere to buy! I hear it is a good game, and me and my buddies are huge paintball fans. We are looking to play something online over Live! while it is winter.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Prine said:

dammit

NONE SHALL PASS! (picking it up today with RE, good times ahead)

I'd advise people to rent Paintball before buying. Just my take.

demi

Well, the character creation portion was really extensive!

And the fact that your "stats" increase when you equip new clothes also contributes to this as well, mix in the fact that there's plenty of clothes to choose from (that you have to purchase with money no less)...

...I'd say they might be right!

BuG

I don't see Unreal Championship 2 on the list of available demos, and all their promotion videos have been saying that a Live enabled demo would be coming in January (which would mean the February issue of OXM if that was the means of distribution, yeah?), does anyone know how that's getting out to people? Pre-order deal or something?

It's slightly off-topic, I know, but it's just that I expected it to be on the February issue's disc, and not seeing it there made me wonder.

Chi-Town

BuG said:
I don't see Unreal Championship 2 on the list of available demos, and all their promotion videos have been saying that a Live enabled demo would be coming in January (which would mean the February issue of OXM if that was the means of distribution, yeah?), does anyone know how that's getting out to people? Pre-order deal or something?

It's slightly off-topic, I know, but it's just that I expected it to be on the February issue's disc, and not seeing it there made me wonder.

They have an ad for the game in the issue and they list "Live Enabled Demo Available in February!".

Chi-Town

Got my issue today so I figured I'd put my disc impressions in here...

Star Wars:Republic Commando: I played this on the Kotor 2 disc. Graphics look good and it has a great framerate.

Ghost Recon 2: I have the full version of the game, so no point in playing the demo.

Iron Phoenix: This is a Live demo and supposedly also supports system link. No single-player though so I can tell you nothing.

MechAssault 2: This also a Live demo and also supports system link but also has a single player portion. You strap on battlearmor, hop on a vtol and get dropped into a base to steal some enemy mechs. The graphics are actually even better than MechAssault.

FIFA Soccer 2005: Also Live enabled but also lets you try out a single player match. I'm not a big soccer fan but I had fun playing and it looks great.

Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball: They give you a nice chunk of the game to play(a tournament)and it's actually pretty neat. The graphics aren't anything mindblowing but they're effective.

I also got a kick out of the Area 51 trailer. Hearing David Duchovny talking about government conspiracies, aliens, and following up with "I didn't believe any of it.".

Also in OXM...

They have an article covering various military shooters and this little bit about Black Hawk Down jumped out. They're shooting for 50 players over Live. If they don't achieve that the game is still slated to support at least 32 players.

They also have a 2 page preview of MotoGP 3 and it looks amazing.

Top Bottom