• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like there is a way to play imports with your brand new PSTwo

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And it doesn't require a modchip. I am a total ass when it comes to hardware, but it looks like you just need to perform a very simple operation with an internal switch.

Link (I hope there is nothing there against the TOS)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
whoa, if the news is true, buy your PSTwo immediately and get in the first batch. I don't think import methods are bannable (this info). If we can have thread after thread about the HDLoader which is a total pirate utility. Basically, swap discs work with slight internal modification. Very slight.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Screw the PM, just post it. Such a switch wouldn't let you play burns anyway.

(ok, PM me if you insist)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
For fuck's sake - playing imports isn't against the law, last time I checked. Post the goddamned information and quit playing pussy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well, it uses the swap magic DVD, so I guess the pirates will be happy too. In my case I was waiting for this because I am a shot'em up nut and my god awful DVD drive skips like mad. I'm getting a new PSTwo as soon as I can, I just hope the drive is better.

Edit: There is a link now on the first message.

bjork

bishoptl said:
For fuck's sake - playing imports isn't against the law, last time I checked. Post the goddamned information and quit playing pussy.

iawtp

bish mods for great justice

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
acording to a ps2ownz forum user swapmagic works on the new ps2 you have to dismantle your new console and tape down a few micro switches so you can open the lid without the console knowing about it
Not as excited anymore.

bjork

What's the big deal of taking the system apart? You had to do it for the other PS2 models too, to mod them. This looks pretty easy and I think we can all afford a $2 roll of duct tape.

neptunes

DarienA said:
...oh come on you're surprised?!?!??!

well, I got excited thinking all you had to do was use a paper clip or something :lol

What's the big deal of taking the system apart? You had to do it for the other PS2 models too, to mod them. This looks pretty easy and I think we can all afford a $2 roll of duct tape.

Once it breaks down, free repairs :(

neptunes said:
well, I got excited thinking all you had to do was use a paper clip or something :lol

Once it breaks down, free repairs :(

Why couldn't you just use the old PSX paper-clip. The one picture I can see has duct tape obscuring the trigger point, and all the rest are locked if you're not a forum member. But why couldn't you use this? Explain.

neptunes

I'm still waiting on my account activation. :lol

but it was this quote that scared me quite a bit.

Yes, that's right, Swap Magic DVD ver. 2.0 and CD ver. 3.2 work with the new Mini PS2s (aka PSTwo). It does take some doing though. $ony got very clever this time and has an internal switch to tell the PSTwo whether or not it's cover is closed, so you have to dismantle your PSTwo and void the warranty in order to access the switch inside. However, once you take care of this minor issue, it works with Swap Magic and plays games like a pro!

Brannon

$2 roll of duct tape.

First Doom 3, now PSTwo. Is there anything that duct tape CAN'T take care of? It's like having the power of the Sun in the pal.... crap. I'm going to shoot my foot off if I ever say that again.

Emo Spidey for Prez '04!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm debating doing this, but the safe way would just be to get an import PStwo in a few weeks. Doing this would save me $200, but I'm not sure if I want to risk it.

Lyte Edge

Okay, temptation got the better of me. I looked at the pics taken on that site, removed the screws, opened the system, and a few pieces of tape later...

...I'm playing Japanese games using Swap Magic 2.0. :D

It really is THAT easy. Now I wish I hadn't bought that $15 1 year warranty (it's gone) and KOF Maximum Impact today (since I can now play the superior import version on this machine).

I guess I can cancel my pre-order for my Japanese system now; I've got two of them and now I'll just take one and sell it and use the money to pre-order a DS.

Lyte Edge

Ravingloon, no; Sony was clever and put in TWO sensor switches in the PStwo. One you can see when the lid is open, and the other that can only be accessed when you open the system up. You just take a few tiny pieces of some strong tape and push them both down, and you're good to go. :)

adelgary said:
How is the Japanese version of Maximum Impact superior?

I take it you haven't heard the dubbing yet? o_O :lol

They also removed at least one of the stage BGMs because of the lyrics. That sort of thing. Game play is of course the same, but I'll take the Japanese version.

Lyte Edge

hirokazu said:
no censorship?

Well, I thought Mai was censored originally, but it looks like I was wrong about that, so this time around they just screwed up the voices and removed music. I guess you could say they're getter better. :/

I read that the UK version will have both English and Japanese voices selectable, and that the Japanese voices are still on the American DVD, you just can't access them in-game. THANKS PLAYMORE THAT'S AWESOME I LOVE YOUR NEW CRAPPY VOICES.

This is why I will continue to import these titles.

Top Bottom