• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lovely Planet |OT| A Katamari Damacy FPS

Cheddahz

Banned
VR01vcu3SdObTDJLshqE_lplogo1080_450.jpg

Gameplay Trailer
Release Trailer
Steam Page

What is Lovely Planet?
Well according to the Steam page, it's "A First Person Shooter Gun Ballet set in a cutesy abstract world. Jump and shoot your way through five worlds full of treacherous enemies with your trusty semi-automatic!", but in my eyes, it looks like a game that shares the design of Katamari Damacy and brings a first person game to the market that separates itself from all of the other first person games on Steam!

Screenshots:
1.png

5.png

6.png

Reviews:
PC Gamer - 82/100
Gizorama - 4.5/5

Coverage:
Kotaku
Polygon
Rock Paper Shotgun

The soundtrack for the game was done by Calum Bowen (who also releases music under the name bo en) and the soundtrack for the game is pay your price on Bandcamp

Blizzard

Banned
I love clean art styles, and simple/flat shading can look awesome in stuff like The Witness.

That said, I think this looks super ugly. D: Some sort of lighting or even mild variation in the solid colors might make it nicer.

Not the best take on the art style, but I'm more excited by how fast you move and how high you jump. Hopefully that's not the only gun you get to wield.

I keep finishing levels just a few seconds away from the world record. Gah.

By the way, if anyone else is having issues with the mouse sensitivity (my default sensitivity was super low), click F on the main menu and keep clicking down. The mouse sensitivity setting is buried in there.

Ozium

This game is like the adventues of Scout in Pyroland and that is OK to me..

Loving the character movement...

^also bought the game due to the GB QL

25 min and loving the shit out of this cute yet challenging speedrun platformer FPS! Already onto world 2 and it's getting the good kind of tough. Bouncing all around with those strafe jumps shooting the baddies to a phenomenal soundtrack by Calum Bowen (Cloudface).

I've talked to the publisher and they say that they intend to release ports of the game on other platforms depending on how well the initial response is from the PC version.

daydream

Banned
This plays at 60fps on my sister's laptop (integrated HD 4000 graphics), so anyone can play this.

Have people mentioned the absurdly low price?! £2.96 here. Well worth it.

Marjar

Banned
I'm honestly not so sure about this one. I liked it at first, but then they introduced the flying apple things that you have to shoot before they hit the ground and it just got really frustrating.

Maybe I'll try it again later, but the difficulty was a bit off putting.

I've only played the first dozen or so stages and wow, this is good fun. It's like Katamari and Jumping Flash had a speed running baby.

This is me doing 2-3 for like 5 minutes lol (a bit choppy because recording on my sis' laptop), it's quite tricky.

Lovely Planet 2-3

I could've just cut that video to show my best run but I wanted to show this game is no joke.

Ardvent

Absolutely loving this game so far. I'm gonna get a world record. I will do it.

MSoogNW.png

I was .6 seconds over on 2-8. I'm getting plenty of close calls but how the hell are people completing some of these levels so fast.

Also, to bunny hop or not bunny hop? I can't tell if it actually increases speed, but sort of feels like it does.

How many levels are in this game out of curiosity? Will probably pick it up later tonight.

100 levels. 5 worlds and 20 levels per world, they introduct new mechanics in each world as well

Frologic

Love this game! Managed to get full stars on first three worlds. The swamp is insane though, those apples and that fog are too much for me, I'm just happy the levels are short. The assassin level was a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75uqGrvlwPA

2-20 is fucking impossible.

Shoot at the apples peak height and go for the furthest one last. If you just want to complete it then spam bullets towards the peaks of the two closest apples as you jump up.

TGMIII

One of the biggest surprises of the year for me and one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year which also happens to have a great soundtrack.

The later end of world 4 and the whole of world 5 really start to test your reactions.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
This game is crack! Bought it yesterday and couldn't put it down until I reached the 4th world (6 hours in). SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

... but the 4th world is seriously kicking my ass, I'm in 4-4 and can't imagine how hard the rest of the chapter is. o_O

This game is fantastic. World 4 is in need of some serious Quake 3 Arena style reflexes to 100% the levels.

Absolutely worth the asking price for the amount of levels, the great music and super clean and chirpy art style. More people should play this!

Frologic

Is that hardcore fog by design? That stuff bugs me in games...I guess the game still seems worth it though

It's only World 4. The levels there are short but test your reaction speed to bullets and enemies that suddenly appear and need to be shot instantly

Frologic

World 5 is pretty hard. Managed to clear the swamp but losing motivation with this last world, Can't handle the speed of these new homing purples and the panic and disorientation after teleporting.

Myggen

World 4 is kicking my ass right now. But I really love this game. Would make for some sweet speedruns too.

goglibody

By the way, if anyone else is having issues with the mouse sensitivity (my default sensitivity was super low), click F on the main menu and keep clicking down. The mouse sensitivity setting is buried in there.

Thank you for this. I'm really surprised how little discussion there is surrounding this game. I've been having a blast with it, sluggish mouse speed and all.

Top Bottom