• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Pokémon Scarlet........this is painful.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I wouldn't call myself a huge Pokémon fan. My first time playing the series was back in 2013 with my son when he got a 3DSXL and Pokémon X.

Fun little game that he enjoyed, and from there we played White, White 2, Omega Sapphire, Sun and Ultra Sun.

Fast forward a few years and my son is no longer interested in Pokémon, so I never bothered with Sword/Shield. However, a few weeks ago I had an itch to buy a new game to play while travelling around Poland and thought "fuck it" I'll pick up Pokémon Scarlet.

Big mistake because it's easily the worst game on the Switch and the worst Pokémon game I've played.

First the positives. I like the idea of an open world Pokémon game and glad they had a stab at it. Oh and some of the new Pokémon designs are pretty good.

Now onto the bad.

The introduction is easily the longest and most tedious I've encountered in this series. It fucking drags and feels like hours before your let off the leash to roam the world. How is it that Game Freak haven't included an option to skip the tutorial? Keep it there for new players, but give veterans the chance to skip it FFS.

After pointlessly going round the school, you're then let out to roam the open world, but is it really open? No.

Technically you can go wherever you like, but go too far (as in not far at all) and all the wild Pokémon will be so powerful that they'll easily one shot your team. It's actually not possible to freely roam without grinding up your Pokémon first. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? It just means you're forced to go where the game wants you to go.

The map is fucking laughable. Like, really bad. For some reason it autorotates when you open it, so you get lost with what direction you should be heading. Also there are some nice markers on the map. Shame I have no idea what they mean because Game Freak didn't include a map legend. How the fuck does something simple like that not make the cut?

The open world is also bland. There is fuck all to really do. It's grass fields, dirt paths, an odd beach......it's just lifeless and dull. Exploring is boring.

Yeah, there is the big city and towns to explore, but you can't go into loads of buildings. Even the school is a sham. You can't explore the school freely and instead just teleport to different rooms. Why?

Gym tasks are boring and too easy.

The Titan encounters are just fighting an oversized Pokémon.

Star Bases..... pointless

Trainers now just stand at the roadside and will only offer battle if you talk to them. Boring.

I'm going to leave it there.

3/10.

Worst game in the series. Either that or these games are really not designed for me.

I wouldn't call myself a huge Pokémon fan. My first time playing the series was back in 2013 with my son when he got a 3DSXL and Pokémon X.

Fun little game that he enjoyed, and from there we played White, White 2, Omega Sapphire, Sun and Ultra Sun.

Fast forward a few years and my son is no longer interested in Pokémon, so I never bothered with Sword/Shield. However, a few weeks ago I had an itch to buy a new game to play while travelling around Poland and thought "fuck it" I'll pick up Pokémon Scarlet.

Big mistake because it's easily the worst game on the Switch and the worst Pokémon game I've played.

First the positives. I like the idea of an open world Pokémon game and glad they had a stab at it. Oh and some of the new Pokémon designs are pretty good.

Now onto the bad.

The introduction is easily the longest and most tedious I've encountered in this series. It fucking drags and feels like hours before your let off the leash to roam the world. How is it that Game Freak haven't included an option to skip the tutorial? Keep it there for new players, but give veterans the chance to skip it FFS.

After pointlessly going round the school, you're then let out to roam the open world, but is it really open? No.

Technically you can go wherever you like, but go too far (as in not far at all) and all the wild Pokémon will be so powerful that they'll easily one shot your team. It's actually not possible to freely roam without grinding up your Pokémon first. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? It just means you're forced to go where the game wants you to go.

The map is fucking laughable. Like, really bad. For some reason it autorotates when you open it, so you get lost with what direction you should be heading. Also there are some nice markers on the map. Shame I have no idea what they mean because Game Freak didn't include a map legend. How the fuck does something simple like that not make the cut?

The open world is also bland. There is fuck all to really do. It's grass fields, dirt paths, an odd beach......it's just lifeless and dull. Exploring is boring.

Yeah, there is the big city and towns to explore, but you can't go into loads of buildings. Even the school is a sham. You can't explore the school freely and instead just teleport to different rooms. Why?

Trainers now just stand at the roadside and will only offer battle if you talk to them. Boring.

3/10.

Worst game in the series. Either that or these games are really not designed for me.

You still play Pokémon? 👀

The Wire Roland Brice GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When it comes to monster collection games I'm more in to Shin Megami Tensei series because I like Demon design waaaaaaaaay more than Pokemon design.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
When it comes to monster collection games I'm more in to Shin Megami Tensei series because I like Demon design waaaaaaaaay more than Pokemon design.

Never played that series. Is the game more of a challenge, or is it kid friendly.

Now onto the bad.

3/10.

Hopefully you bought a physical copy. Sell it and buy Pokémon Legends Arceus, one of the best games in the series.

KXVXII9X

Never played that series. Is the game more of a challenge, or is it kid friendly.
SMTIV and SMTV will kick your butt without mercy if you aren't careful. It is like the polar opposite of Pokémon on the difficulty. Persona is a bit more forgiving. I haven't played enough Devil Survivor to make an informed decision.

Saber

Lol.

I think because my son and I had a blast with them, I thought I'd enjoy the newest one.

Maybe that's the problem. The games aren't designed for adults. Could explain why I hate it.

Nah. Thats a lame excuse.
Pokemon was made for all ages. That concept was made so the kids can grow up with the game and parents can also play along their children.

No, the reason Scarlet and Violet is bad its because its a very garbage game overall. Like real low tier shit that an indie company can come up. The reason the quality is bad is because they probably knew theres no need to put any effort on it(in conjuction with GF being a trash tier group of developers), the franchise is bigger than the game itself. You guys need to remember this all started with the lies promoted by them when they excluded most of the mons models but there were no trade offs (and strangely no one minded). At this point they already knew they could use this to minimize the costs and still earn a shitton of money even if the game doesn't hit like the predecessors. They are now selling dlcs over a full infested bug game that never had any hope of fixing or improving performance, mostly because they probably moved on to the next project(they probably gonna wait the next Legends being released). I wouldn't be surprised if they go full microtransactions with those games, thats how low their consumers are into their games.

Last edited:

E-Cat

I haven't played the game, but the fact that the wild Pokemon can KO your team if you wander too far off is actually nice to hear. The world in Pokemon Red and Silver (the only ones I have played) never felt dangerous.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

What you talking about?

It was a proper success and obviously was an amazing game going by sales - Game Freak, Probably.

Also it runs like absolute horse shit (and looks it too) game freak aren't trying anymore and it's very obvious too and when the games keep selling they won't put the effort in.

Top Bottom