• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Re:Zero or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago, I decided to give Re:Zero a shot after hearing a lot of good things about this anime that puts an unconventional twist on the "stuck in a fantasy world" genre.

I've completed the entire show and, long story short, I enjoyed it.
Animation is excellent, the art design/color palette is vibrant, the soundtrack is pretty good, and most of the main characters have memorable, stand-out designs.

The fantasy world is kind of standard by-the-books lore with witches, magic, elves, knights, etc. Unfortunately, we don't learn a whole lot about Lugunica(?) so there's not much to chew on.
Before I finished the first episode, I could tell that this was, yet again, another light novel adaptation.I already know it will be years before we see a second season. So that means the unanswered questions and plot threads introduced in this season are going to be left hanging.

Re:Zero surprised me in both a good way and a bad way. I was surprised by how quickly the main premise of the show caught my interest. And I was surprised by how the main premise starts to lose its luster in the second half of the show.

I can break down the 25 episode anime into six story arcs.
Episode 1-3: The Loot House Arc
Episode 4-11: The Mansion Arc
Episode 12-14: The Royal Selection Arc
Episode 15-17: Let's Shinji Ikari the Fuck Outta Subaru Arc
Episode 18-21: Battle Against the White Whale Arc
Episode 22-25: The Witch's Cult Arc

But I want to get right down to the main characters, especially...

Natsuki Subaru
ReZero_07_1-700x385.jpg
Subaru, Subaru, Subaru...where do I even begin with this guy?
I have a love/hate relationship with the protagonist. And not just because he shares the same name as a car company. But love is too strong of a word to use. More like a "tolerate/hate" relationship.
He starts off as a genre-savvy obnoxious-yet-endearing shonen protag, then becomes an obnoxious-yet-endearing strategist with a loose mouth, then becomes a flippant, whiny Chris Tucker mixed with End of Eva Shinji Ikari, then finally grows into a determined general who still runs his mouth but is more level-headed.
I would say Subaru, as a character, goes from okay-to-good-to-terrible-to-"zero"-to-hero.
There are so many problems that happen that would have been avoided if Subaru had a) kept his mouth shut or b) did what he was told.
He's one of the few MCs, if not the only one, who is completely weak but has the biggest advantage out of anyone in the main cast.
The show puts him through a near-laughable amount of hardship. It's like episode 5 of Attack on Titan but done over and over again. The suffering he goes through and seeing just how far he can keep going is one of the biggest motivators that kept me watching.

Emilia
Emilia is one of the central figures of the story yet she didn't leave much of an impression on me. Her entire character arc (or semi-arc, since it's left hanging) is to overcome the prejudice placed on her for being similar in appearance to the Jealous Witch. Besides that, she's fairly generic. And it doesn't help that she fades out of the story in the second half when it becomes the Subaru & Rem Show. Which brings me to...

Rem
Knowing barely anything about Re:Zero, I already assumed that Rem would be the typical maid waifu character. And while that's partially true, there's much more to Rem than just a skirt and slim figure. I wasn't expecting her to become one of my favorite characters, but the direction her character went in from Episode 11 to 18 was fascinating and pretty damn emotional. All things considered, Rem could have easily been the main character. Which is not something I can say for her twin sister...

Ram
Ram fell into the trap that Rem managed to avoid. Mostly stoic, distant, and pretty shallow. And she's a verbal savage. She makes for good comic relief when she's paired with her sister and when both are chastising Subaru. When the twins are introduced, she's noted as being inferior to Rem in skills, but our perception of the reason why is turned on its head in their tragic backstory. She has a few scenes with Roswaal that make me suspicious about her motives.

Honorable mentions:
Betelgeuse Romanee-Conti: DESU! I love this guy. Such a good screwy villain. He and Wilhelm almost single-handedly saved the second half of the show.
Wilhelm van Astrea: This dude is a beast. He's like an older King Bradley. Great job making me sympathize for him and his wife in such a short period of time.
Roswaal L. Mathers: He looks like Kefka. What's his deal? Who knows. Find out in season two probably.
Elsa the Bowel Hunter: She's great but she disappears after the first arc. Such a waste.
Puck: Not much to say about Puck, but there's an interesting twist with him in the middle of the anime that's never addressed again.
Beatrice: Stuck-up loli that's only there for exposition.
Reinhard: Also barely shows up. I like him.
Julius: He's alright. Not as cool as Reinhard. They made him such a forced foil for Subaru.
Felt: Another early character who has a story arc that doesn't go anywhere.

Out of all the characters, my top favorites are: Rem Rem, Betel "Not Michael Keaton" Geuse and Wilhelm "Da Gawd' Bradley!

While not the best anime of 2016, Re:Zero was an entertaining spin on the strange fantasy world genre with lots of mental damage and amusing character interactions.

And I want someone to compile all the times Subaru yells and screams dramatically at the top of his lungs. I swear, there's enough hoarse voice cracking to make even my voicebox numb.

wwm0nkey

If I really hated the first episode, would I enjoy the rest of the series? Really just didn't like the whole "Oh Im in a alt world for some reason? Okay I'll just accept this" thing

Dio

Banned
If I really hated the first episode, would I enjoy the rest of the series? Really just didn't like the whole "Oh Im in a alt world for some reason? Okay I'll just accept this" thing

The premise of the series is that the main character is quite aware of the huge, booming popularity of 'another world' - isekai - stories coming out in Japan right now, and his expectations of his role as a 'protagonist' are warped thanks to his knowledge of that trend. You know, main character gets dropped into another world and is super powerful/can use magic/gets a harem of girls.

Here, if you want more info about it I made a thread recently:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329497&highlight=

That depends. Episode 3 and Episode 7 are what I consider strong points in the early parts of the anime. If you aren't feeling it after those two episodes, then it might not be for you.

Subaru doesn't really question why he's in another world after the first episode. He just goes with it.

Edit: What Dio said.

Double Edit:
light novel spoiler.

Don't tell me they repeat the memory erasing fog plot again.

Linkark07

Banned
While I found this entertaining, none of the characters were memorable to me. At least it was amusing watching all the craziness that happened to Subaru and how his sanity was slipping even more after each loop.

LotusHD

Banned
Surprisingly became my AOTY (In part because the other contenders were stuff I had already experienced), but yea, I really liked how they subverted expectations throughout the show.

Yayate

I stopped enjoying this series when I realized it stopped being about parodying light novels series, and fell into the exact same tropes it was supposed to parody.

Rem's episode is one of the most painfully bad examples of why Japanese light novels are awful, ever. It was officially the point where Rem lost all of her personality traits aside from being a fill in waifu for Subaru, and it also dehumanized her into being nothing more than a waifu.

They undid Subaru's breakdown way, way too quickly, showing that just like every light novel, the story has absolutely zero things at stake even when it pretends it does.

I stopped watching it when they finished the White Whale arc, because I couldn't stand it anymore at this point. I enjoyed Wilhelm's little character arc until it ended in him surpassing his wife because screw light novels, seriously.

The part arc before the Rem episode is definitely where I felt like the show stopped being what it sold itself as. Is that what you mean by the second half, OP?

Archon

Woah, this is weird because I just finished watching it yesterday, and much like you, totally did not expect to like it. But having seen enough recommendations I figured I'd give it a try for the heck of it. What could hurt watching the first 3 or so episodes?

Yet, by the end of the first arc I felt for once that this was an "isekai" series that I might not bounce off of. And by the end I was so glad I stuck with it because seeing the main protag
get mind broken multiple times by his deaths
only to eventually figure out the "puzzle" of his current situation was pretty...uplifting?

Also, I think I can agree that Subaru is a protag that is just towing the line of "I like your moxie, but I might not really like you." I think part of the problem is that he still feels a bit like your "viewer insert character" with how he acts -- half anime bravado, half hikikomori (with just enough skill to survive
or not
). What manages to make him work for me is how often enough he fails and how that affects him. I really started to feel sorry for him in parts where
he lives more than a week only to die, realizing all the connections he had with other people in that life were lost
. And let's not even talk about that episode 15-17 arc...Overall, I think the way he was acted and animated in those parts was so well done that I actually felt bad for him. But like you said, he keeps going and going so when he does figure something out it feels a bit cathartic.

And then there's the waifus that I normally can't stand in anime that by the end I actually care for. Put me in "Rem is best girl" column, something I don't think I've said since the age of Ranma 1/2 "best girl" arguments.

There is a part of my brain that is can't comprehend why I ended up liking this show so much. In fact, so much I went out and bought the first 2 light novels and started reading the online translations of the novels that haven't made it over yet. I haven't done that for an anime ever that I can think of. Yet at the same time I can totally see why other people might hate it because as a whole it's far from perfect.

who's rem?
: After anime light novel spoiler, indeed. I just about yelled out in anger when I read about that. Second and Third season please.

Archon

That depends. Episode 3 and Episode 7 are what I consider strong points in the early parts of the anime. If you aren't feeling it after those two episodes, then it might not be for you.

Subaru doesn't really question why he's in another world after the first episode. He just goes with it.

Edit: What Dio said.

Double Edit:

Sorry for the double post but...
You REALLY want to know the truth?

Only sort of. If I read it correctly the White Whale was a "pet" of another Archbishops of Sin, who has a similar version of said power.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Double Edit:

It is heavily hinted in the anime too, at the last arc, no one ever mentioned Rem, not even her sister. This actually revealed a few minutes after the anime ending, but they decided to cut it off there to have a fulfilling ending.

Now suffer the wait for season 2 with the rest of us! hahaha

I have mixed feelings on this series. I understand that they decided to go the "deconstruction route" with Subaru but I feel like, especially with a lot of his actions during the middle stage of the series, he was too far gone for me to take the "redemption" episodes seriously. It almost felt like having a cake and eating it too.

That and I really did not care for the resolution of the romance. I'm not the type of person to get wrapped up in shipping and "best!girl' shenanigans but I felt like the series dropped the ball with the romance.
Like, I can understand that the subtext is Rem was supposed to be the red herring, but it is also at odds with the fact that the biggest emotional payoff in the series is Subaru's bond with her. It's through her that Subau actually goes through his character development. So for him to immediately go back to chasing after Emilia felt like a mistep.

I stopped enjoying this series when I realized it stopped being about parodying light novels series, and fell into the exact same tropes it was supposed to parody.

Rem's episode is one of the most painfully bad examples of why Japanese light novels are awful, ever. It was officially the point where Rem lost all of her personality traits aside from being a fill in waifu for Subaru, and it also dehumanized her into being nothing more than a waifu.

They undid Subaru's breakdown way, way too quickly, showing that just like every light novel, the story has absolutely zero things at stake even when it pretends it does.

I stopped watching it when they finished the White Whale arc, because I couldn't stand it anymore at this point. I enjoyed Wilhelm's little character arc until it ended in him surpassing his wife because screw light novels, seriously.

The part arc before the Rem episode is definitely where I felt like the show stopped being what it sold itself as. Is that what you mean by the second half, OP?

*Shrug* I liked the Rem and Ram backstory.
In episode 18,
I was mostly fine with where Rem's character ended up because even if she was falling for Subaru, at least she developed as a character unlike Ram, who is for the most part still the same. The only part that really bugged me was Subaru choosing Emilia over Rem because "I saw her first" reasoning.

I've never read the light novels so I don't know if they changed the ending to the White Whale arc. Was Wilhelm
not supposed to land the killing blow on the whale?

And by second half, I mean the episodes after episode 17 where the narative shifts to protect the Mathers estate and other characters and story arcs are just dropped.

Woah, this is weird because I just finished watching it yesterday, and much like you, totally did not expect to like it. But having seen enough recommendations I figured I'd give it a try for the heck of it. What could hurt watching the first 3 or so episodes?

Yet, by the end of the first arc I felt for once that this was an "isekai" series that I might not bounce off of. And by the end I was so glad I stuck with it because seeing the main protag
get mind broken multiple times by his deaths
only to eventually figure out the "puzzle" of his current situation was pretty...uplifting?

Also, I think I can agree that Subaru is a protag that is just towing the line of "I like your moxie, but I might not really like you." I think part of the problem is that he still feels a bit like your "viewer insert character" with how he acts -- half anime bravado, half hikikomori (with just enough skill to survive
or not
). What manages to make him work for me is how often enough he fails and how that affects him. I really started to feel sorry for him in parts where
he lives more than a week only to die, realizing all the connections he had with other people in that life were lost
. And let's not even talk about that episode 15-17 arc...Overall, I think the way he was acted and animated in those parts was so well done that I actually felt bad for him. But like you said, he keeps going and going so when he does figure something out it feels a bit cathartic.

And then there's the waifus that I normally can't stand in anime that by the end I actually care for. Put me in "Rem is best girl" column, something I don't think I've said since the age of Ranma 1/2 "best girl" arguments.

There is a part of my brain that is can't comprehend why I ended up liking this show so much. In fact, so much I went out and bought the first 2 light novels and started reading the online translations of the novels that haven't made it over yet. I haven't done that for an anime ever that I can think of. Yet at the same time I can totally see why other people might hate it because as a whole it's far from perfect.

who's rem?
: After anime light novel spoiler, indeed. I just about yelled out in anger when I read about that. Second and Third season please.

Yeah, I agree that seeing Subaru using his wit to save innoncent people and get himself out of dying was what I found endearing about him.
There's this moment right before they fight the Maju where he recounts the dreams of the village kids to Ram. It's a part of his character that I wish got more focus.

This anime is flawed, but for me, it doesn't stop being engaging even during some of the slower arcs.

Sorry for the double post but...
You REALLY want to know the truth?

Only sort of. If I read it correctly the White Whale was a "pet" of another Archbishops of Sin, who has a similar version of said power.

It is heavily hinted in the anime too, at the last arc, no one ever mentioned Rem, not even her sister. This actually revealed a few minutes after the anime ending, but they decided to cut it off there to have a fulfilling ending.

Now suffer the wait for season 2 with the rest of us! hahaha

Well shit. Now this is gonna bother me until the next season.

Yayate

*Shrug* I liked the Rem and Ram backstory.
In episode 18,
I was mostly fine with where Rem's character ended up because even if she was falling for Subaru, at least she developed as a character unlike Ram, who is for the most part still the same. The only part that really bugged me was Subaru choosing Emilia over Rem because "I saw her first" reasoning.

I've never read the light novels so I don't know if they changed the ending to the White Whale arc. Was Wilhelm
not supposed to land the killing blow on the whale?

And by second half, I mean the episodes after episode 17 where the narative shifts to protect the Mathers estate and other characters and story arcs are just dropped.

Nah, I'm just bothered that they gave me the opposite of what it felt like, at the start. Having an absurdly powerful female character in a light novel is something that doesn't happen often, because they're often undersold because light novels. It was really refreshing to see this backstory about how he could never match up, and then it basically ended with... him matching up. I feel like this made Wilhelm's internal conflict and his entire character pointless.

The specific thing bothering me about Episode 18 was that it was resolved in a single episode, over the spawn of twenty minutes from Subaru's perspective. We had an arc with a cartoonishly light novel villain, that was doing extremely evil and horrifying things. And it all just... didn't matter. The only thing gained was meta-knowledge. The other arcs did a good job in showing off the world and characters, but this one just wanted to show a lot of suffering for the sake of suffering.

And while Rem did develop, the problem is that she developed from a rather distinct personality to becoming more like the average light novel waifu. She lost what made her distinct so she could cheerleader him better.

You are right, though, that arc is definitely where I felt the quality drop. While it might've happened early, I'd rather not think about it too hard and ruin the pretty positive thoughts I do have about the first half.

Eylos

Banned
Just watched Rem zero, its a good anime, really enjoyed

Heavy spoilers of the lightnovel!!!
i readed on internet,

dont read!

WTF they kill Rem!?? The Best characters of the anime, ughhhh this killed my hype for season 2

Just watched Rem zero, its a good anime, really enjoyed

Heavy spoilers of the lightnovel i readed on internet, dont read!
WTF they kill Rem!?? The Best characters of the anime, ughhhh this killed my hype for season 2

Oh man, so many people are gonna be so very very angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom