• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Soul Sacrifice Delta

norm9

After being bitten by the Monster Hunter (3 Ultimate) bug again recently after dropping it last year when I hit a wall, I decided to find a similar game for my little used Vita. I was down to either Soul Sacifice Delta or Freedom Wars. I decided to pick up a digital copy of SSD.

After playing about seven hours, here's some thoughts on it-

Loved the monster designs. Man are the monsters cool looking. The bosses I mean. The trash mobs look like what they're supposed to, but the monsters are out there in design.

An example- The Three Little Pigs monster
soulsacrificedelta-review3.jpg

Loved the background setting- Imagery from all over combined in a blender and then spit out and painted as a backdrop to fight these monsters. Toppled greek statues, fairy tale imagery, pegasus wings stuck in the gground but moving. Great nightmarish imagery. However, after you see the arenas a few times, you no longer really pay attention to it as the action and bosses are at the foremost of importance.

Loved the little stories so far. These monsters that you're hunting are just greedy sorcerors who let greed turn them into monsters. Well, that's just one of the reasons you become a monster. A great metaphor to guilt, rage, etc. It is presently a little too slowly, but whatever, I can deal with that.

What I've found confusing is the offering upgrades and random shards and whatnot that you pick up automatically and show up in the post battle screen. Not sure what they do but it hasn't stopped me from progressing at a good clip so far.

Similar to Monster Hunter, I found that playing with other people really helps and makes it more fun and gets you upgrades mighty quick. Numerous times by the time I got to the boss, my overpowered teammate had already killed it. Great for grinding offerings. I won't do multiplayer too much, but like in MH, just enough to get some good armor to move me along. Only found a few lobbies in action though when I played, so I created my own and people were pretty nice to my low levelness.

Don't understand sigils and that arm stuff yet nor the factions, but it hasn't affected me all that much. I hope it's not necessary to understand it and I can complete the game without it, much like crafting in rpgs.

Anyways, after almost seven hours, I'm still enjoying it and don't regret picking this over Freedom Wars.

ETA- I only have a 4gb memory card so I had to delete my unfinished P4G game in order to download SSD. Don't regret that either.

Caim

The stories are amazing and the multiplayer was pretty much the cherry on top.

I need to go back and play through them again.

I'd love to see a sequel some day.

Gameplay mechanics I thought were terrible compared to MH3U, but the monster designs are mostly incredible. Like, what the fuck is this thing

cts12_img.jpg

So absurdly awesome. Just wish they went with a standard weapon/attack system instead of the pick four powers and they each have X amount of uses mechanic.

PantsuJo

I don't understand why we haven't a console/PC port of this. It's the only hunting game with enough charisma to compete with Monster Hunter, imho.

joe2187

Banned
I've been tempted by this for a while, but that screenshot just sold me.

The stories behind the monsters are really really well done, and are often really depressing and tragic.

However my favorite is the Cinderella monster.

A girl who loved a prince, and a prince who had an obsessive foot fetish, so she sacrificed her legs to give to the prince transforming them both into a centipede monster who forever licks at her heels.

10726706246_081be7b3e0_b.jpg

rackham

Banned
Never understood what people loved about soul sacrifice. I was only 1 or two trophies away from the platinum in the first game and thought it was very shallow in terms of story, voice acting (English), and map design.

The bosses were cool but the world they were in sucked. The maps all lacked cohesion imo.

I liked the upgrading of spells but found the aesthetic choices really boring.

All made for an ok game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Truly one of the Vita's finest gems. I hope they find a way to bring it to PS4.

Had such a wonderful time going through some of the pacts in co-op with my wife.

Game was great. Combat was fast and fun, it's less hunting like in Monster hunter and more battling amazingly designed bosses in an arena.

The story was also secretly one of the best of last gen, with plot twists no one could predict and a magnificent bittersweet ending

And the music, my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFQoEP3d3pI

Game deserved so much better than being on the Vita

bobawesome

I didn't really care for Soul Sacrifice but Delta is so much better. Honestly one of the Vita's best games and my favorite Monster Hunter "clone".

they need to bring this over to console somehow

I don't understand why we haven't a console/PC port of this. It's the only hunting game with enough charisma to compete with Monster Hunter, imho.

One of my favourites of this gen. Bring the series to PS4 please.

Truly one of the Vita's finest gems. I hope they find a way to bring it to PS4.

Had such a wonderful time going through some of the pacts in co-op with my wife.
hm...

norm9

The bosses were cool but the world they were in sucked. The maps all lacked cohesion imo.

I don't mind that they drop you off in just random maps. There's not really all that much time to enjoy the scenery once you start fighting.

So absurdly awesome. Just wish they went with a standard weapon/attack system instead of the pick four powers and they each have X amount of uses mechanic.

It took me a while to realize all the attacks were limited and I couldn't figure out why my attacks stopped working. And there's almost TOO MANY different types of attacks and that usually gets me overwhelmed, so I concentrated on just cold type attacks. It's served me well so far, but I haven't had to fight a tough cold monster solo yet, so I'll have to rethink the strategy at some point.

I haven't finished it yet- I don't like the gameplay much and it's draining to go for all the Pacts, exam year right now so can't get around to it- but holy FUCK is it one of my favorite games of my all time anyway.

I'm a story, art and music person- SSD is just top fucking notch in all of these areas. Don't tell me you didn't cry at the end of the prologue, jesus fuck.

10/10 music and visual design. Top 10 game.

Finest exclusive on the Vtia alongside Tearaway. Won't be too salty if it does get ported, but I don't ire my favorite system a couple masterpiece exclusives. :p

Delta was such a freaking great upgrade.

They overhauled almost every mechanic, from the weapons to the enemies to the missions to the movement.

The fact that the blink power now lasts so long is a perfect example of how it went from "pretty ok" Monster Hunter clone to a fast frenetic action game.

I've played the first Soul Sacrifice but I'm tempted by Delta. How is the online nowadays ?

I believe you should still be able to find games. If not, search around and there's a Discord server of SSD fans (should be around GameFAQs).

At worst you'll have an incredible single player game for quite a low price anyway (a shitton of content compared to the original trust me)

norm9

I've played the first Soul Sacrifice but I'm tempted by Delta. How is the online nowadays ?

I went online last night. There were only four rooms. One was limited to Japan Only. Two were full. Another one was only for high level people and only had the host. So I made my own, limited it to intelligence 6?) and took about five minutes but two others joined me. They were high level but didn't immediately hop out when I picked the early missions so that was nice. We ended up playing about ten missions in about twenty something minutes because they were killing them so fast. I would have kept playing with them, but my internet cut out and when I got back online, they were gone.

This game is one of best surprises I've encountered on the Vita. I really hope they do more the franchise, I was addicted to both versions for a while when going for platinums.

It was kinda annoying trying to get deep with the actual damage numbers and calculations behind the scenes because the only resource was the Japanese wiki. I should learn the language, as it's pretty valuable for this hobby.

The gameplay is solid, but I have three huge issues with the game:
1) Reloading spells fucking sucks
2) the maps are all very flat and boring to fight on
3) the bosses have insanely inflated health bars, making the campaign a slog, especially with the first point I made.

Ganondorfo

Is Soul Sacrifice Delta a game of the year edition of the original Soul Sacrifice? Or a new sequel. I am just asking, because this game always fascinated me. Also is the original SS worth it if I am going to buy Delta?

This game is a Vita exclusive right? Or did they port it for the PS3/4?

Is Soul Sacrifice Delta a game of the year edition of the original Soul Sacrifice? Or a new sequel. I am just asking, because this game always fascinated me. Also is the original SS worth it if I am going to buy Delta?

This game is a Vita exclusive right? Or did they port it for the PS3/4?

Vita exclusive. It's an expanded version of the original SS with probably enough material that could've been sold as a second game in there.

The stories behind the monsters are really really well done, and are often really depressing and tragic.

However my favorite is the Cinderella monster.

A girl who loved a prince, and a prince who had an obsessive foot fetish, so she sacrificed her legs to give to the prince transforming them both into a centipede monster who forever licks at her heels.

10726706246_081be7b3e0_b.jpg

649.gif

Xenoflare

The lore of this SS is incredible and the game is a labour of love.

This game and Toukiden Kiwami are probably the two sole reasons my vita is not completely collecting dust

derFeef

Started this a few months back as well, really want to go back to it. Librom is fantastic and the stories are great. However, I am never sure I play this game the right way and I have the feeling I miss important things everytime I scroll through the menus, lol.

norm9

Started this a few months back as well, really want to go back to it. Librom is fantastic and the stories are great. However, I am never sure I play this game the right way and I have the feeling I miss important things everytime I scroll through the menus, lol.

I get the same feeling I'm going to be so underpowered later and it's going to be because I don't understand the menus.

Saaaaame

DrFurbs

I need to get this but recently bring enjoying the original SS. IT'S really a brilliant game and hard too.

Btw, the game really shines when you use strategy to beat the monsters.

Top Bottom