• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Verdun: 1914-1918

Blues1990

2153dd65-b2dc-468b-9e13-6618e6f2e894.jpg

Among the excitement of the upcoming Battlefield 1, I decided to replay possibly one of the few Tactical First-Person Shooters (at least the only one that I know of) that was able to authentically re-create the claustrophobic trench warfare of"The Great War".

The game itself takes place in one of the bloodiest conflicts in world history, on the western front between the year 1914 & 1918. More specifically, the game is inspired by the infamous Battle of Verdun France in 1916, and you can choose to be part of one of the 2 historic sides of the First World War (the Central Powers & the Entente). Among Attrition Warfare (Deathmatch), Squad Defense (Survival Mode), & Rifle Deathmatch (Free-For-All), the the main game mode Frontlines gives players the task (in 4 man squads) of capturing multiple sectors, with the goal to capture the enemy's Headquarters. Staying true to the typical attrition warfare of that time, both sides attack and counter-attack each other in turn, so you will be forced to defend each captured sector of trenches. If the attacking team is successful with capturing strategic points along the enemy trenches, they'll be forced to retreat to a trench further back and hold that ground. However, if the Defenders succeed at repelling the attack, they can keep their territories & immediately be able to launch a counter assault on the opposing team. Verdun keeps the focus on teamwork, and it achieves this by appointing an NCO (A.K.A. The Captain) to every squad who can issue orders throughout the game. The game will punish you if you go Lone Wolfin' and try to rush into battle, so taking your time and scouting out your enemies is key to victory.

You can choose up to 12 squad types, all of which are historically accurate units (from the British Tommies to the German Stosstruppen), that have a set of abilities & perks based on its type (Assault Infantry, Light Infantry, etc.) Attacking/Defending these targets and/or remaining within your NCO's command range will award you with extra points, which will help your squad level up unlocking different uniforms, equipment, perks, all of which is equally divided among your squad-members. Choosing which squad and class you play will greatly affect how your outcome, so it'd recommend giving each squad/class a try until you find one that clicks with your gaming sensibilities.

The gameplay is as immersive & gritty as it can get, with authentic weapons need to be handled with skill, with no floating crosshairs to aid your aim. The realistic bullet physics require you to lead your shots when firing on a moving target at long range, so you need to make every shot count. If getting shot by infantry men isn't enough, there are artillery barrages (which are called in by NCO's) that can pin you down & possibly obliterate your entire squad. There is also the very claustrophobic experience of avoiding enemy fire and traversing though a cloud of poisonous mustard gas, while wearing a gas mask that obstructs your vision, forcing you to take precaution.

I wanted to bring this game up, as most players seem to dismiss it from straying away from what you would find in a modern FPS, in addition to it's deep learning curve. However, this is the games major advantage to other FPS's, as you'll find yourself learning to play strategically & focus with co-operating with your squad to achieve victory, rather than hoping that sheer, dumb luck will be on your side. In addition, the development team (M2H/Blackhill Games) had done extensive field research at Verdum, along with being advised by knowledgeable historians to make sure the game is as historically accurate as humanly possible. Verdum: 1914-1918 is tailored to recreate the grim atmosphere that is so typical of the first World War, from the gloomy clouded skies to the mud covered trenches, whilst peering over your rifle to spot the enemy.

So, if you're looking for a FPS that feels equal parts challenging and rewarding, along with being the closest we can get to being an authentic re-creation of the First World War, I can heartily recommend this game. It's available on Steam if you want to give it a go, & the community is still pretty active.

Blues1990

Currently on sale for $14.99 on Humble
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/verdun

How newbie-friendly is this game? Are there any offline modes/bots/tutorials?

Yep, as mentioned, the game has a high learning/skill curve, so be prepared to die. A lot. But it feels incredibly satisfying when everything clicks and you are advancing onward with your well-coordinated platoon to secure victory. I'd recommend playing the Survival Mode to practice getting used to the different classes & experiment with what suits your sensibilities.

Yep, as mentioned, the game has a high learning/skill curve, so be prepared to die. A lot. But it feels incredibly satisfying when everything clicks and you are advancing onward with your well-coordinated platoon to secure victory. I'd recommend playing the Survival Mode to practice getting used to the different classes & experiment with what suits your sensibilities.
Can you play the survival mode solo?

There's also a really good WW2 mod for Insurgency called Day of Infamy.

It's not super duper tactical but it would compare nicely with Red Orchestra.

Would like to try Verdun, really does look interesting, on my Steam wishlist atm.

Blues1990

Can you play the survival mode solo?
I need to double check, but I'm certain that you can solo Survival Mode.

There's also a really good WW2 mod for Insurgency called Day of Infamy.

It's not super duper tactical but it would compare nicely with Red Orchestra.

Would like to try Verdun, really does look interesting, on my Steam wishlist atm.

Insurgency is a game that I need to check out in the future, but like with you and Verdun on your wishlist, Insurgency is just sitting there.

I know Verdun took a shot at BF1 the day of its reveal, but honestly, I'd expect Verdun to benefit from increased interest in WWI. Rising tide raises all boats and all.

Blues1990

I know Verdun took a shot at BF1 the day of its reveal, but honestly, I'd expect Verdun to benefit from increased interest in WWI. Rising tide raises all boats and all.

I hope so, as Verdun is a great alternative to most FPS's that are on the market right now, despite it's steep learning curve & heavy emphasis on teamwork.

Top Bottom