• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wolfenstein The New Order and Doom. Damn.

DJwest

I am usually not a fan of First Person Shooters. But after a 100 hours poured into Persona 5, I decided to try something different, preferably fast paced. Doom and Wolfenstein TNO are highly regarded on this forum so I decided to give them both a try. I am glad I did.

Wolfenstein:
First FPS I played this generation. The dual wielding is extremely satisfying. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I have 2 shotguns lol. I also really liked the fact that quite a few levels can be cleared silently (throwing knives is OP). I finished the first timeline on Normal difficulty (Bring them on) and immediately did a second playthrough on Hard (I am Death Incarnate). Yeah, I'm not trying Uber lol. I'm waiting for a sale to pick up The Old Blood and I'm definitely getting The New Colossus day one.

Doom:: I mean, that goddamn intro. Dat music. I played the game on Ultra Violence. Each weapon has its purpose: it's clear id balanced your aresenal around the horde of demons they throw at you. I always save the chainsaw for the annoying teleporting wraiths for instance. The BFG is a life saver in the last levels where rooms are stacked with barons, pinkies and mancubus. But the star of the show for me was the super shotgun. Absolutely deadly. Doom was also a change of pace compared to Wolfenstein. Forget cover, you need to move constantly to survive.

A sequel is inevitable right? Hope that the game was a commercial success because I really need to kill
Samuel Hayden,

TL,DR: Do you like FPS? Buy Doom and Wolfenstein TNO if you haven't already. Also, any other recommendations for great FPS campaigns this gen ?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Shadow Warrior 2 might be right up your alley.

Wolfenstein: TNO had the best shooter campaign since Half Life 2 tbh with its charming characters and scripted events.

although solely on a gameplay standpoint Doom and FEAR are definitely up there too.

these iD properties have gotten freaking amazing again. I hope Wolfenstein 2 gets a weapon wheel system similar to Doom with the slow-mo. Would make for switching up guns and not interrupting the flow of mayhem a lot easier.

SledGod

Almost finished with TNO, Doom is next on my list. Played through E1M1 already and it was pretty sweet.

I haven't been into a single player campaign in a minute, but TNO is pretty damn compelling. I know making Nazis unlikable isn't a challenge, but that lady really sucks.

scitek

yep... i'd argue it's the best of the old school shooter renaissance

not particularly for everybody but it deserves way more love than it gets

Its menus could be more streamlined, and the loot aspect scares some people away, but it's a lot of fun, for sure.

Raptomex

How have I never heard of this game? It looks stellar. Thanks!
It is stellar despite what people say. You grind for weapons and upgrades. Maybe that's what people don't like? I loved the arsenal and the gameplay was fun so I thought it was great. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

120v

It is stellar despite what people say. You grind for weapons and upgrades. Maybe that's what people don't like? I loved the arsenal and the gameplay was fun so I thought it was great. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

there's some legit complaints against the loot system but i think what generally drove people away was the level structure. everything is essentially one big killzone

i personally liked the gameplay loop of finishing a level, cue story, sort out loot then get back to mindless shooting and slashing but people are more accustomed to a more curated experience now, it was too "video gamey" for lack of a better term

if they could refine the loot system, throw in more level variety for shadow warrior 3 or whatever they take on next, could be pretty big

ducksauce

I'm playing through TNO now, I just have to beat the final boss. While I enjoyed the story and characters, I did not enjoy the gameplay. I think I've just gotten so use to open world games that something as linear as TNO just isn't as satisfying to me anymore. Anyway, going to play Mafia III next, I think I might enjoy it more.

Wolfenstein tno feels like the next generation half life with a different tone. Due to recent events I only think more and more positively of the game, it's a masterpiece to me.

Doom is also a masterpiece, because it did something no game has ever done. Everything about it has a flow that's just perfection.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Both were fucking exceptional games. Breaths of fresh air in the current climate of single player FPS games

Wolfenstein 2 is going to be fucking satisfying...

Raptomex

there's some legit complaints against the loot system but i think what generally drove people away was the level structure. everything is essentially one big killzone

i personally liked the gameplay loop of finishing a level, cue story, sort out loot then get back to mindless shooting and slashing but people are more accustomed to a more curated experience now, it was too "video gamey" for lack of a better term

if they could refine the loot system, throw in more level variety for shadow warrior 3 or whatever they take on next, could be pretty big
I didn't mind the loot system. It was sorting through all of the stuff that sucked. But applying new upgrades, abilities, or whatever they were called was fun. I was always looking for something better. And it has a huge arsenal. I like the killzone concept as long as it's fun and it delivered in my opinion.

Brizzo24

Doom was also a change of pace compared to Wolfenstein. Forget cover, you need to move constantly to survive.

Played em both, and I have to admit that DOOM is more my style simply bc you have to adhere to this type of mechanic. Plus, I love the atmosphere and locations you visit.

I thought we'd get a crazy DOOM sequel announcement at this past E3....but alas, nothing but VR. Sigh. I think a sequel is inevitable though.

Both were fucking exceptional games. Breaths of fresh air in the current climate of single player FPS games

Wolfenstein 2 is going to be fucking satisfying...

Very satisfying.

The Old Blood is good but not quite as fun as TNO. It seems to go on sale often so I bet you will be able to get it for $10 pretty easily.

Also UBER isn't really that hard. Just gotta take a stealthier approach and use cover.

I need to replay Doom. I never did beat it on ultra violence.

Falchion

I beat Doom a few nights ago and can vouch that it's an incredible adrenaline rush. The super shotgun was spectacular to use.

Very satisfying.

The Old Blood is good but not quite as fun as TNO. It seems to go on sale often so I bet you will be able to get it for $10 pretty easily.

Also UBER isn't really that hard. Just gotta take a stealthier approach and use cover.

I need to replay Doom. I never did beat it on ultra violence.

The Old Blood has an awful start, but stick with it. Tighter controls than TNO and a fantastic game until the final boss which was awful, but inbetween those and its a must play

TNO was absolutely amazing. I played it initially on PS4 when it came out and loved it. I'm working my way through that and TNB on PC. Still as fun and awesome as before.

Played em both, and I have to admit that DOOM is more my style simply bc you have to adhere to this type of mechanic. Plus, I love the atmosphere and locations you visit.

I thought we'd get a crazy DOOM sequel announcement at this past E3....but alas, nothing but VR. Sigh. I think a sequel is inevitable though.

Oh yeah. A Doom sequel is most likely happening. It'll probably be in 2 more years or so. Given that Wolfenstein II is coming out this year and TNO came out in 2014.

Nicolada

DOOM is an absolute blast, no other game makes me feel like such a badass. The music really makes it more intense. I have TNO installed, but haven't started it yet since I'm working on other games atm. I've seen others play it though and it looks great.

Crumpo

I just finished Doom, after buying on GAF hype, as people said its fast, well-balanced gameplay loop is really satisfying. Environments were also great. Just lost a bit of puff at the end with similar encounters and no new enemies. Great basis for a sequel, though.

The new order was surprisingly good but I was slightly disappointed with the length of the campaign. Overall it's a really solid game.

scitek

Wolfenstein tno feels like the next generation half life with a different tone. Due to recent events I only think more and more positively of the game, it's a masterpiece to me.

Doom is also a masterpiece, because it did something no game has ever done. Everything about it has a flow that's just perfection.

Do you mean the killing Nazis aspect?

C.Mongler

OP are you me? I also literally went from finally finishing Persona 5 into Wolfenstein TNO because I wanted something fast paced and in-my-face, which I just beat last night.

I really liked Wolfenstein, but I feel like a bit was lost on me since I had played Doom already at launch, which I found to be a much better game. Granted, I like my FPS games to have tight, satisfying, and fast-as-fuck gunplay, and I usually don't care too much about story. Wolfenstein I felt was a little too slow at points (forced or "highly suggested" stealth parts for example, or the run around the base and find stuff parts), lacked a little bit of variety, and I never felt particularly challenged either. Probably should do another run-through on a harder difficulty, or just start TOB (which I haven't played yet) on a harder difficulty outright. Still thought it was lots of fun though, the story was pretty good (though being in a world where Wolf II exists,
I found the ending kind of groan worthy since Wolf II will obviously begin with "We rescued you in the knick of time Blazkowicz!", though I guess Blazkowicz being practically indestructible is a running trope in this series so whatever
), and in this political climate, having a game that's nonstop giving-a-finger to Nazis sure was satisfying.

The Old Blood has an awful start, but stick with it. Tighter controls than TNO and a fantastic game until the final boss which was awful, but inbetween those and its a must play

How did you think the final boss of TOB compared to the final boss of TNO? Because that's kind of disappointing to hear that TOB has a shitty final boss as I really didn't care for TNO's final boss, personally.

noomi

Wolfenstein was great! I just beat The New Order and The Old Blood for the first time in preparation for The new Colossus.

October can't come soon enough!

LordofPwn

I just recently Platinumed The New Order and felt like I enjoyed the story and characters far more than the gameplay, felt there was a little bit too much of an emphasis on stealth. Still great though and I'm very excited for The New Colossus.

DOOM i played last summer and absolutely loved it. In your face, balls to the wall action.

aravuus

I really want to play more DOOM, played it for a bit during the free weekend and enjoyed it, but it froze my whole computer upon exiting so I'm not very excited about paying money for it and seeing if it'd work now.

Still planning to check out Wolfenstein soon. The new one looks great.

Struct09

DOOM was my game of the year last year, best shooter in years IMO. Also check out Titanfall 2's campaign if you haven't already.

Top Bottom