• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucha Underground debuts on Netflix Feb. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://www.cagesideseats.com/2017/2...d-netflix-feb-15-season-one-two-el-rey-future

Seeing as it airs on a niche channel in El Rey, fans of Lucha Underground have long pointed to availability through a major streaming service as important for growing the promotion’s audience.

In a couple of weeks, that may finally happen. Court Bauer broke the news on MLW Radio that Lucha Underground seasons one and two will debut on Netflix on Wednesday, February 15.

Furthermore, PWInsider reports there’s been talk of the series leaving El Rey and becoming a Netflix original. It would be the service’s first pro wrestling/sports entertainment venture (even if they just air past seasons, that will be true).

El Rey presented LU as central to their plans at the Television Critics Association gathering in January, but it was mentioned in reports as an “unscripted series” that was part of the channel’s shift away from the grindhouse offerings creator Robert Rodriguez is known for and toward “lifestyle programming” - which demonstrates a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what the show even is.

The season three hiatus the show is currently on, with new episodes on hold until an unconfirmed “Summer 2017” date (although earlier today, the company’s Facebook page posted a graphic of “5/31/17” which is likely the return date), is also a curious move if the network is 100% behind the show.

At least while we wait for an indication of the promotion’s future - including oft-promised live shows - we’ll be able to watch the 39 episodes of season one and 26 of season two on Netflix.

Better late than never, pretty good news. Still haven't watched much of Season 3 yet, feels like most of the people who loved the first season (myself included) dropped off hard after that.

RBH

Furthermore, PWInsider reports there's been talk of the series leaving El Rey and becoming a Netflix original. It would be the service's first pro wrestling/sports entertainment venture (even if they just air past seasons, that will be true).
Huge news.

Wish it happened sooner, but it should open up the company to a lot of new eyeballs.

HtRm6RZ.gif

Season 2 was amazing until the final third or so of it. But the first half with final boss Mil Muertes, Pentagon being a huge focus and Matanza being revealed may very well be the high point of the show so far.

Season 3's been bleh though it's getting back on its feet, Worldwide Underground are great.

Hex

Banned
I am torn.
I want El Rey to have it, they need it and I love El Rey.
But a bigger audience is only a good thing.
Perhaps both?
Who knows.

I stopped watching Lucha Underground. However, for what it's worth, people should give Season 1 a watch. Definitely gives a different POV of pro-wrestling storytelling that can be quite captivating.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
US only

which KILLS ME.

FUCK.

Sephzilla

Even if its US/North America only, this is still huge for Lucha Underground and will probably save the promotion. El Rey was too limited of an audience for LU to survive.

Aiii

So not worth it
First season is really really great, but takes a couple of episodes to find its footing, after that till the end it's some of the best and most fun wrestling America has produced in over a decade.

Kind of fell out of it beyond that, but looking forward to checking out Season 2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Even if its US/North America only, this is still huge for Lucha Underground and will probably save the promotion. El Rey was too limited of an audience for LU to survive.

hey Seph... Seph...

tumblr_nei2rsfnO11swlf6ho2_250.gif

Lucha Underground is the greatest show on television and made me swear off WWE forever. Here's the Giant Bomb crew breaking it down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvgMvMcNhQ&t=317s

El Jefe is God. Mil Meurtes is the Emperor God-King of wrestling. Everybody on that show wrestles their ass off and it's fucking amazing. The intro alone from the first season is so insane and over the top that it has to be seen to be believed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bukqWQRp2ds

"Come with me."

NastyBook

FINALLY. Guess nobody else had a deal as good as the one Netflix offered. Works out for me, though. Gonna tear through this show.

EDIT: Still want El Ray Network for current seasons and all their Kung Fu flicks.

Lucha Underground Season 2 opens with Champion Mil Muertes, The Man of a 1000 Deaths, reigning over The Temple from a throne made of skulls - literally lording over the ring, watching every match, waiting for the next #1 Contender.

CXByqfV.png

In the comic, it describes how his minions, the Trios Champions known as the Disciples of Death, go around murdering the band, a wrestler from the first season, and random fans, swallowing their souls, and collecting the skulls to build said skull throne.

This show has more lore and depth than an Elder Scrolls game.

Couldn't be a more perfect fit.

In fact, this might be the best chance for legitimate mainstream exposure wrestling has had in a LONG time.

Manbig

Very excited for this!

However, I listen to Konnan's podcast, and the thing that he makes clear is that AAA is a terribly run organization, and this show is linked directly to them.

They also had a mass talent exodus recently, which included Pentagon Jr., so this show's future might be in trouble on the talent end.

Dario will become even more powerful!

I love LU and it honestly puts WWE to shame. Hope they have a ton of success on Netflix and continue for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom