• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals |OT| A New Look for Lufia

Aeana

Man God said:
It's the Rune Factory font! :lol
I wouldn't know, since I don't play those games. However, it's a welcome sight when I'm used to seeing crap like this:

VsURy.jpg

mjc

Got my copy but I have to study for a couple hours before I even contemplate playing it or anything else.

"Cooking is about guts and creativity!
Are you ready? HAAAA!"

Tia is still a terrible cook. Can't wait to party up with her and Dekar all day everyday.

Question: Does this game have some sort of seasonal aspect to it? Like if I play the game during different times of the year I'll see different things? I walked into the Doc's lab and he's got zombie jack-o-lantern thingamajigs wandering around. One of them was named Ichabod, another Jack. Pretty weird.

Rpgmonkey

Might get this if it ever pops up somewhere for a cheap price.

Gunloc said:
But there was no need to dig up the corpse.

It could of got almost the same press if it had been a new installment in the Lufia series instead of a "reimagining" of the most highly praised entry of the series. As Aeana said, it's so vastly different than the original Lufia II that it's almost unrecognizable, so I still don't see why they chose this route other than to play on people's nostalgia for the game.

Eh, if they're trying to "reboot" the series, deciding to redo the series in chronological order (or at least redo the beginning of the Lufia timeline) before getting to the fourth entry is an interesting approach.

I'm actually almost as interested in them doing something similar with I or III as I am in seeing Lufia IV finally happen.

Okay the first dungeon was good. It's got a bit of Lufia 2's puzzles but with the freedom to jump around and stuff. Block-pushing/pulling is tolerable at least and I like being able to walk on most anything provided I can land on it. Maxim has an air-dash too which is fun to move around with.
The combat lacks the finesse of Ys and I could do without the slowdown but so far I'm liking it.

First boss nearly clobbered me though. Yeesh.

kiryogi

Banned
Picked it up during lunch. Haven't had a chance to play it. Might not until I finish last window. That said I'm impressed with natsume. It might be a 20pg manual, but its full color!

Volcynika

Amazon might have suddenly bumped my copy from three day (I had it on two day) to one day shipping, so I might have it tomorrow evening :O

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aeana said:
I wouldn't know, since I don't play those games. However, it's a welcome sight when I'm used to seeing crap like this:

VsURy.jpg
The image of Suiko Tierkreis' bad fonts somehow aren't complete without the MC's ridiculously sped up VA, though.

Anywho, I got my Amazon shipping notification a few hours ago. Can't wait.

Rpgmonkey said:
Eh, if they're trying to "reboot" the series, deciding to redo the series in chronological order (or at least redo the beginning of the Lufia timeline) before getting to the fourth entry is an interesting approach.

I'm actually almost as interested in them doing something similar with I or III as I am in seeing Lufia IV finally happen.
This should of been Lufia IV. We aren't gonna get remakes of the rest of Lufia games. (The first Lufia maybe.) So I don't know where the series goes from here, if anywhere at all.

This game didn't make much of an impact in Japan and I don't see it doing that well in the US either. The Lufia fanbase as whole isn't enough to sustain it right now, let alone divided, as it is concerning this game.

I don't know if we'll ever see classic Lufia again, and that's a depressing thought.

Yeah so I just finished this fire dungeon. This was a very platformer-heavy dungeon with the occasional switch-throwing and even some sections that involved riding platforms over lava. Curse also switched it up on me by only allowing Selan and Tia playable, which is fine since there wasn't much in the way of combat(though I am digging Tia's reach).
Aside from the framerate getting pretty bad(didn't really affect my playing) it was a good ride. If every dungeon tries something different like this game should remain quite entertaining the entire way. It might be hit or miss for some but it's certainly different.

The story is pretty bland but it can be fun if you're a fan of Lufia 2.
I ran into the bumbling thieves who ran off with the ruby apple earlier. While characters may carry over the same personalities and other aspects they'll be doing different things at different times.

I also unlocked the mystic board which doles out abilities provided you have the pieces for them. I guess it's like FF12's license board but with a crapton less grinding. Aside from finding pieces that boost stats I can gain new abilities for each of the six party-members. For example most of the characters have the ability to not taking damage from falling in pits. It certainly helps. :lol

Progression is also rather unique as there are checkpoints throughout the dungeons and if I've lost someone important and don't feel like using a revive I can hit reset to basically re-do the entire section (puzzles that involve keys or similar things will remain solved even if I leave the dungeon and come back. Nice). Experience levels aren't that important and the game has designed them to be more of a crutch than anything. In fact if I get stuck at a boss or something I can opt to re-do the fight with an additional five levels of EXP.

Volcynika

Appreciate the detailed impressions, PepsimanVsJoe. Is there VA aside from like yelling something when attacking? I remembered Natsume mentioning there was a team of people doing VA for both this and Rune Factory 3.

Volcynika said:
Appreciate the detailed impressions, PepsimanVsJoe. Is there VA aside from like yelling something when attacking? I remembered Natsume mentioning there was a team of people doing VA for both this and Rune Factory 3.

Most if not all of the cutscenes aren't voiced aside from a few scant sections(the entire intro before the title-screen is voiced but it cuts out seconds into the actual game intro). Actually it's kind of odd how it works out as there will be times where the heroes will talk amongst each other while exploring or when something special occurs
(like the Thieves mentioned earlier have their intro voiced and they'll trade words with the heroes at certain points)

I dunno what the JP version was like but I can't imagine every little thing being voiced there either(should I really care if I can actually hear some guy tell me to fetch some whatever from wherever?)

Oh and towns are definitely Lufia 2ish. There's no thousands of items to find in every little cabinet, drawer, and patch of grass like Lufia 1. Between that game and Blue Dragon I dread any RPG that attempts to punish my OCD tendencies.

Speaking of I'm juggling this game with a replay of FF7. Yeah I dunno how I got roped into that one but here I am, a third of the way through disc 2.

Rpgmonkey

This game is starting to sound tempting...

Maybe I'll get it along with Golden Sun 3 for a DS RPG marathon.

Gunloc said:
I don't know if we'll ever see classic Lufia again, and that's a depressing thought.

Well I'm sure classic Lufia (whatever one's definition of that is, this series changes significantly from game to game) died long before this came around. :lol

I'm also not very confident that Lufia IV would be treated much differently if the new gameplay direction and character design style were still intact.

Rpgmonkey said:
I'm also not very confident that Lufia IV would be treated much differently if the new gameplay direction and character design style were still intact.
But at least it would be something actually new, instead of masquerading as something it's obviously not.

Some of the character redesigns are so different that they should be new characters. I really have no qualms with the designs themselves, it's who there are trying to pass them off as. Have you seen Dekar & Tia? Unrecognizable.

I just can't shake the bizarro world vibe this game gives off.

lucablight said:
Is the original battle theme still in this? Since there are no more random battles is there still a place for it?

I've heard a ton of music from both Lufia 1 & 2 so far.
Boss-fights, special enemy encounters, plenty of opportunities for different music in the game.

DrForester said:
Can't wait.

Was I the only one that liked Lufia 1 more than 2?

No, I liked the first game more too. Although it looks like Curse fixes one of the problems I had with Lufia 2's story right there in the opening, so I'm thankful for that.

I'm having fun, but wow the pacing can be pretty bad.

You'll sometimes go from playing for a few minutes to watching ten minutes of exposition or explanation.

Aeana said:

VsURy.jpg
Damn are "H" and "W" the same exact letter with this font?

..."Wero". Where did he "net" him again?

"What the heck HAS that thing?!"

Volcynika

I put in about an hour last night, so quick impressions

-Interesting to see that the basic plot exists but is taken in a new direction
-Music is awesome as always
-Voice acting doesn't seem too bad but of course seems sparse and also appears following cutscenes
-I never pronounced Sinistrals like that!
-Fighting seems ok, but I forget that I have a dodge/roll button so I get hit a lot. Not sure if there are evident enemy visual cues for them to attack
-I've died a few times, mostly due to lack of dodging or jumping off edges of things :lol
-The 3D moving around is only slightly troublesome as usual with the D-Pad, but nothing game breaking.
-Dialogue back and forth is pretty amusing sometimes. Seems there were a good bit of jokes between characters.

Game seems very forgiving with the whole five level boost thing if you die, but I don't care to use it.

Still very early in (almost done with the first dungeon), but it is enjoyable so far. It's a nice counter to Etrian Odyssey III where your movement is very limited and the different battle system.

Nekobo

So what's the verdict so far? Is this game challenging? How long is it?

I'm enjoying Ys Seven and I'm looking for a solid action RPG to follow that up. I also loved Lufia II, so this game intrigues me. Nostalgia is always nice, but I don't mind changes, either. I'm thinking about picking it up during my lunch break, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Just got the game! :D

I'm really liking it so far.

And a question to J-GAF...how long is this game? It looks like it'll be around 20-25 hours, but just wondering how long it is and if there are a lot of side quests to do.

Thanks.

bubnbob said:
I fell asleep at the Bridge level. Are all dungeons needlessly complex like that?

I haven't played this (probably going to tonight), but you asking that instills me with a little hope that this retains at least some of the key features of Lufia 2. Those dungeons stepped on my "must find all treasure" OCD pretty hard.

Nekobo

After reading Shouta's impressions from the other thread, I just picked up the game. Someone should start a GAF Plays Lufia II thread. I'd love to replay the game if/when I finish this DS re-imagining.

Nekobo said:
After reading Shouta's impressions from the other thread, I just picked up the game. Someone should start a GAF Plays Lufia II thread. I'd love to replay the game if/when I finish this DS re-imagining.
I really want to play the original. I wish it was released on VC. :(

Volcynika

ShockingAlberto said:
Do all characters gain experience or should I be switching evenly?

I did some quick testing, but it seems that the one you're using gets full experience while people that are not being used get half experience. Like I got 45 experience for killing an enemy with Maxim, but Tia only got 22 (it appears to round down).

Beat the game!
It's not over yet though.

Notes:
All blue items are carried over to the next game. I did a handful of Ancient Cave runs so needless to say I'm a bit overpowered even though I was kicked back to level 1 on new game+.

Time spent on game so far: 15 hours.

Looking forward to accessing the full 100 floor Ancient Cave

Now then...
Pros:
-Inter-party banter is great.
-Combat is fun. Doesn't have the finesse of a Ys title but the pacing is good.
-Dungeons are really good for the most part. The first one kind of threw me off with how it's structured but they're all good with some even being really great.
-Ancient Cave is a simple but very effective way to extend play-time. Really addictive.
-Dekar
-Minimal amount of time spent in towns
-The multiple-character setup is really well done.
-Looks to be a good amount of extras in the game. I'd expect nothing less from Neverland.

Cons:
-Framerate tends to stink. This can affect the game at times and it doesn't help that Neverland didn't do much of any optimization. In some very large dungeons everything is constantly rendered despite the player being nowhere near any of it. Also they could have cut back on the special effects.
-Story pacing is just plain yikes at times. There are portions late in the game where the party has to visit every town multiple times with different goals in mind. These scenes take maybe thirty seconds to a minute at the most but they're just so pointless and meandering that they threaten to grind the game to a halt.
-Definitely a game made on a budget. Everything from the cutscenes to the actual game seems to have been affected by what time & money Neverland had to work with.
-Could have used more dungeons and more types of enemies.
-
Now I'm wondering how much additional content there is in new game+. On one hand I hope there's cool stuff like new dungeons but on the other hand it would kind of suck to have to beat the game just to access everything that could and probably should have been in the first playthrough as well.
-Some of the dungeons involve going back to previous areas. Sometimes these previous areas lead to new areas so it sort of balances out but eh..a bit lazy.
-The game really could have used a stand-out final dungeon.
It plays out almost entirely like the one in original Lufia 2
-The bosses could have used quite a bit of work. The final battle
?
is rather cruddy. It's one of those points where all of the framerate and budget problems come to a head. A bit disappointing.

+/-

-The story to this game is definitely catered towards gamers who have already played through the original Lufia 2. A number of scenes are changed/removed since the game assumes the player already knows what all is going to happen.
I still have to do the new game+ to find out what happens next though so there's that.
-As far as action-rpgs go (especially ones with Zelda-esque dungeon design like this one) 10+ hours for the story is par for the course. It makes for good replay value but some might be turned off by this.

All in all I'm leaning towards a 7 for this game. I'm not a fan of scores and I'd rather just let an actual review do the explaining but that'll have to wait until I actually finish it.

Willenium

anybody else getting frequent freezes? it seems like every 5th time i try to enter a new map, the music hangs, screen freezes at black and i have to reset.

Volcynika

Willenium said:
anybody else getting frequent freezes? it seems like every 5th time i try to enter a new map, the music hangs, screen freezes at black and i have to reset.

Only played like two hours, but no, I've not seen any freezing.

zigg

Willenium said:

Are you playing on a Flash card? I read that this was an issue there; anti-piracy is being thrown around. If so, try your original copy. Would love to hear if this is actually an anti-piracy measure or just bad coding—I don't have my copy yet, so I can't check for myself.

Willenium

zigg said:
Are you playing on a Flash card? I read that this was an issue there; anti-piracy is being thrown around. If so, try your original copy. Would love to hear if this is actually an anti-piracy measure or just bad coding—I don't have my copy yet, so I can't check for myself.

i've gotten it to freeze once on the original copy. ran a very unscientific test after the flash card froze several times. I entered and exited the elcid map until it froze, took maybe 10 times. is it even possible to code an anti-piracy measure that's completely random?

zigg

Willenium said:
i've gotten it to freeze once on the original copy. ran a very unscientific test after the flash card froze several times. I entered and exited the elcid map until it froze, took maybe 10 times. is it even possible to code an anti-piracy measure that's completely random?

I really have no idea what's possible in that regard... but it sounds more like it's just slightly buggy code, maybe timing-dependent, than actual anti-piracy code. Bummer.

I just have to say that the graphics look really good for a DS game.

It's amazing how the DS has come a long way to have developers doing visuals like this.

Volcynika

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just have to say that the graphics look really good for a DS game.

It's amazing how the DS has come a long way to have developers doing visuals like this.

Yeah you can appreciate the graphics up to the point where the framerate takes a divebomb.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Willenium said:
They can, and they have. I haven't played mine yet to test, yet.

Volcynika

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's typical of games that push the hardware limitations.

It's still impressive though.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. It'd be impressive if it looked as it does while staying steady. But that's just me.

Top Bottom