• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night dominates the Razzies

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the movie he's making with Gary Whitta is not his comeback, I will forever write him off....last chance, MNS. He deserves it, for giving us one of the best superhero movies of all time: Unbreakable.

Snaku

Banned
Deserved. At least I got two trips to NYC, a seat at the premiere, and an interview with Night out of it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Snaku said:
Deserved. At least I got two trips to NYC, a seat at the premiere, and an interview with Night out of it.

Did he walk out 5 minutes before the ending to avoid embarrassment

Snaku

Banned
SteveO409 said:
Did he walk out 5 minutes before the ending to avoid embarrassment

No, but they had an "accident" with their filming equipment and the interview was "lost." One of the other interviewers present recorded the audio, but we were not allowed to release it.

noquarter said:
Don't forget that Paul Verhoeven accepted his for Worst Director (Showgirls) in person as well. Believe he was the first one to actually accept the award in person

One of the many reasons Verhoeven is the best.

Hylian7

I'm honestly surprised "TUUUUURRRRRRNNNNN OOOOOOON THAAAAAA LIIIIIIIIIIGHTS!" wasn't nominated for any of these. I didn't see it but I remember everyone just yelling "Fuck you!" when that trailer came on when I went to see Scott Pilgrim. It didn't get good reviews either.

rekameohs

Banned
25jffnn.gif

DaMan121

Hylian7 said:
I'm honestly surprised "TUUUUURRRRRRNNNNN OOOOOOON THAAAAAA LIIIIIIIIIIGHTS!" wasn't nominated for any of these. I didn't see it but I remember everyone just yelling "Fuck you!" when that trailer came on when I went to see Scott Pilgrim. It didn't get good reviews either.
What movie is this?

BobDylan

PounchEnvy said:
At least the backfire was pretty hilarious.

watch
wow somehow I just realized the hilarity in this avatar. mind blown. im also drunk and high. what does that say about sober me

Seriously still one of the worse movies I have ever seen. How could he have fucked it up this badly given the content? What the fuck was he smoking?

trinest

I agree it wasn't great- but at the same time it wasn't bad. I still stand that The Happening was his worst movie.

Also don't forget the fact the guy is a fucking racist.
I'v never seen the Air Bender show but I know its supposed to show lots of different races all with different abilities, M scraped that to being just white (For commercial reasons ) and his race (Cus' he's a cunt).

Kettch

This is the only movie I've ever allowed bad reviews to keep me from seeing. I love Avatar too much to see something apparently so terrible.

Dabanton

damn that's nice said:
so cool seeing all the love for unbreakable... haven't met many people that actually enjoyed it

I love that movie.

Over Christmas i brought a couple of Blurays of his best movies

Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Signs
Lady In The Water.
The Village.

It's a damm shame what his making nowadays as when he started he did have a lot of promise maybe he'll get it back.

Truant

Motherfucker did make Unbreakable, one of the best films of all time. Yes, I said it. Don't even bother with your rolleyes and :lols. It won't matter.

DMczaf said:
[IG]http://wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/mnight_newsweek.jpg[/IG]

:))

A friend of my fathers was the cinematographer for one of his earliest films. When I heard about that after Sixth Sense, I asked him what kind of a director M. Night was. He said that M.Night was a very good script writer but a crap director. I remember laughing at that. (Now I know)

whatsinaname said:
:))

A friend of my fathers was the cinematographer for one of his earliest films. When I heard about that after Sixth Sense, I asked him what kind of a director M. Night was. He said that M.Night was a very good script writer but a crap director. I remember laughing at that. (Now I know)
He's best script was Stuart Little its been down hill since then.

DMczaf said:

In all fairness, his first three movies were well-received and well-liked. Things started to go downhill with no brake when he released The Village.

Although Lady in the Water was watchable - but man some of the acting (the young asian chick?) ...shudder.

BigNastyCurve said:
In all fairness, his first three movies were well-received and well-liked. Things started to go downhill with no brake when he released The Village.
But then any one with taste saw 6th for the boring poorly thought out mess it was Newsweek just jumped on the its popular so it must be good bandwagon.

stupei

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
But then any one with taste saw 6th for the boring poorly thought out mess it was Newsweek just jumped on the its popular so it must be good bandwagon.

It isn't fair to go after The Sixth Sense at this point. Sure it was overhyped, but compared to the monstrosities he would later create, it's fucking genius.

jett

D-Member
What the hell at those gifs. :lol It looks so amateurish, I don't understand it. Night's previous movies at least looked like they were filmed by professionals. I have to see this movie now.

Mr. Sam

I watched The Happening to laugh (which I didn't; it was so bad it was bad) and to see how not to make a movie (which I did). However, I loved the TV series so much that I'm reluctant to watch M Night's version - it could well ruin it for me.

jett said:
What the hell at those gifs. :lol It looks so amateurish, I don't understand it. Night's previous movies at least looked like they were filmed by professionals. I have to see this movie now.

Was about to post this. I avoided the movie on the assumption it was so bad it's just bad, but now it's train-wreck curiosity bad and I need to see it.

JoeBoy101

Truant said:
Motherfucker did make Unbreakable, one of the best films of all time. Yes, I said it. Don't even bother with your rolleyes and :lols. It won't matter.

One of the best. Dunno about that.

But yeah, it is seriously underrated. Very bad ass movie with only a misstep at the end.

stupei said:
It isn't fair to go after The Sixth Sense at this point. Sure it was overhyped, but compared to the monstrosities he would later create, it's fucking genius.
My family rented it on VHS the day first day they could and I fell asleep during it, I want tired before it started and apart from that I have never fall asleep while a film has been on.
I am not saying this in hindsight The only good thing he has ever made was Unbreakable everything else is now and was then crap.

ElyrionX

I didn't catch TLA but it looked awesome in the trailers. However, after catching The Happening and deciding that it was one of the worst films I have ever seen, I decided to trust the negative reviews and save my money.

The real question is, has Night's career come to a halt after TLA or are studios still gambling on him giving them his next megahit?

woahjeez

Banned
This man hasn't made anything I have cared to watch more than once since Unbreakable. It's a shame he went from The Sixth Sense to stuff like Lady in the Water

JayDubya

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I didn't catch TLA but it looked awesome in the trailers. However, after catching The Happening and deciding that it was one of the worst films I have ever seen, I decided to trust the negative reviews and save my money.

The real question is, has Night's career come to a halt after TLA or are studios still gambling on him giving them his next megahit?

Since it apparently made back twice its budget, is it possible he'd make another one?

Dear lord.

JayDubya said:
Since it apparently made back twice its budget, is it possible he'd make another one?

Dear lord.

It's possible, I think he originally needed a rumored $250 mil worldwide gross to make the sequel but given the reception I think the studio might be thinking to change directors anyways.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
He's been on a horrible downward spiral, and while some of his earlier offerings were good movies, I find they're not worth a second viewing.

BertramCooper said:
There's nothing better than watching a movie trailer in a theater and hearing everyone laugh/groan when M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN appears on the screen.

What a difference a decade makes.

That was pure magic. What's even better is how widespread it was. I saw Inception opening night and thought it was just a fluke, but the next day everybody had the same story across the country. Crazy stuff.

Sucks that YouTube took the reaction down. Edit: Break didn't.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dreams-Visions said:
I'm really surprised to see them actually secure a venue for the Razzies. Do stars actually attend?

No. But some (Noteable: Sandra Bullock, I think George Clooney? Wikipedia has a list. I just know Bullock showed up for that one film...) will own up to their terrible films and show up. Which is admirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom