• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia III E3 Impressions, Interviews, Etc.

dreamfall

Might as well do media roundup/interviews in this thread for all of E3

Start here! 20 MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE! H e r e !

Gamersyde E3 Trailer High Quality Gamersyde

Developer Analysis on their E3 Trailer : Mafia 3 Trailer Analysis

Mafia III IGN Premiere IGN E3 Premiere

Giant Bomb Sitdown Hangar 13 Giant Bomb Hangar 13

Giant Bomb impressions, starting at 22:19: Giant Bomb Impressions

Gamespot Sit Down with Haden Blackman: Gamespot sit down

Sony Livecast with Haden Blackman: Sony Livecast

Polygon Mafia III expanded E3 impressions Polygon Mafia III E3 Impressions

Kinda Funny Colin's Impressions Colin Kinda Funny

Polygon "The Rise of a Black Anti-Hero" Rise Article

IGN "Mafia 3: Tackling a Hugely Turbulent Time" IGN Article

Their Facebook page is a little bit more off the cuff- Q&A with Blackman & Wilson, a Booth tour, Jazz, etc. Facebook Videos

Some of the questions about customization haven't been answered, but there was a strong showing at E3.

Edit: Mods is it alright to do a new thread? Might be more informative

dreamfall

Are the impressions good so far? I'm at work and wondering how the general consensus is without reading all these

I think the gameplay footage was pretty special - the game is dripping with atmosphere. I also think that they aren't holding back on being really violent, and trying to write a compelling narrative. The developers and the writing team are taking a big gamble trying to set the story during 1968, I'm hoping that the narrative they craft is strong. They are not shying away from racism, the Civil Rights movement and are directly confronting the history.

It remains to be seen if they can pull it off - I have faith. I've said this before, but I think maybe the violence and heavy sexual themes might lead to a lot of criticism as an open world videogame based on fantasy (Playboy collectibles, executions) but they can also work wonders with the narrative.

dreamfall

They're also pumping a lot of money in marketing this thing.

This is a good thing. Still my SP game of E3.

I'm really excited about it- probably my most anticipated game since RDR. I think the Mafia series take on narrative and presentation has always been very strong- I'm excited to see how Hangar 13's transition to open world works.

This is the Mafia 3 booth at E3

ck8lfbrvaaaush1udktf.jpg

Along with a live band

0lcj61.jpg

There was a thread about the Take-Two CEO saying that they were going to be at E3 in a big way and many assumed that they were referring to a new Rockstar game. But it seems like M3 and its booth is really what he was referring to.

dreamfall

On the Rooster teeth stream just now, Blackman states that they tie up loose ends with Joe. Not just easter eggs, but proper closure! Leo Galante also sent Vito to New Bordeaux, and is in the story!

The four tenets of Lincoln: Orphan, Vietnam Vet, Mixed-race, Criminal.

Explaining the UI: Two weapons, adrenaline shots, grenades, vodoo doll to spook (Cassandra gives this to him), money in pocket, money in wallet, collectibles.

Ridley327

On the Rooster teeth stream just now, Blackman states that they tie up loose ends with Joe. Not just easter eggs, but proper closure! Leo Galante also sent Vito to New Bordeaux, and is in the story!

Cool. Mafia 2 definitely left a lot open with its ending, so proper closure will be nice to see.

Staf

Hmm, i'm a fan of Mafia 1 and 2, especially 1, but i just don't find this interesting at all. Probably because what initially made me love Mafia was my love of The Godfather.

dreamfall

Lincoln can definitely use vehicle customization, and can acquire a fleet of vehicles. Vehicles have functional upgrades, better grips on tires, and also physical / changing cosmetics!

This is cool. A lot being revealed on Rooster Teeth today, I'll put it up there once it's archived.

The police are really aggressive, and you can't stand your ground usually with the cops. The cops are triggered by where you are in the world, there won't be much persistence of cops in rougher areas - and they won't show up as quickly. In the richer, whiter areas, police respond much more quickly. Civilians can use payphones to contact police to call on you.

The more crimes you commit, the search area becomes bigger for police to look for you. If you invest territory with Burke, you can use his police dispatcher to control the police. Realism and a bit of social commentary!

J_Viper

Everything I've seen on this looks solid as hell. It's definitely one of my most anticipated releases this year.

Any word on clothing customization for Lincoln?

Stiler

I wish they'd go back to have actual traffic laws.

Running red lights/stop signs, having a speed limit, etc.

These things made the world more believable and also made the thrill of going on chases more exciting because simply driving fast would get you in trouble if a cop saw you.

That's something that looks sorely missing in Mafia 3. It looks more like GTA where you can literally drive 100mph through a red light with no one batting an eye.

dreamfall

Everything I've seen on this looks solid as hell. It's definitely one of my most anticipated releases this year.

Any word on clothing customization for Lincoln?

Andy Wilson in the Facebook Q&A said around the 6ish minute mark that Lincoln costume changes during the game, but that there isn't customization in it right now.

"The point of having Lincoln in these different costumes is that we have this curated narrative and there are some specific reasons why we want him to look different in the game" Sneaking in places, or point in time of seeing him in the story.

dex3108

I wish they'd go back to have actual traffic laws.

Running red lights/stop signs, having a speed limit, etc.

These things made the world more believable and also made the thrill of going on chases more exciting because simply driving fast would get you in trouble if a cop saw you.

That's something that looks sorely missing in Mafia 3. It looks more like GTA where you can literally drive 100mph through a red light with no one batting an eye.

Well there is red part on speed gauge like it was in Mafia 2 so i think that there are speed limits.

dreamfall

I'm kind of wondering about the hand to hand combat, and the melee systems. There definitely are takedowns and executions that look to be timing based, but in that new trailer that footage of being in the boxing fight- I wonder if in that set piece, it's more of a tutorial to introduce it to you. The lack of clothing options makes me sad though- I get that they're trying to maintain a serious tone, but I wish we could've selected from certain complete suits/outfits that all were appropriate.

wow I'm honestly blown away. I checked out the 20 minute gameplay video and it's brilliant. Literally everything I've seen is brilliant. The atmosphere with the music playing in the background, the behavior of everyone on ship. It just feels so natural. (This is how I imagine a fight on a ship that is about to give in to the river/ocean any minute must feel like)

and the music oh man so good

dreamfall

Matthias Worch said "if you're swimming around, you got to watch out for Gators" on the Fb Q&A.

Full day and night cycle! Affects car handling, and NPCs carrying umbrellas, hurricanes in the Bayou with fully volumetric clouds, and the wind howling.

New Bordeaux is going to be fun!

Disgraced

The story and world looks kick-ass as ever.

The core gameplay I'm mixed on. On the plus side the kills are deliciously violent and impactful. What I don't like is the superfluous-looking detective vision and the apparent exclusion of the series' signature traffic laws.

This is definitely a get for me, but not on day one. I'll need to soak in the reception and save up since I'm already kind of committed to purchasing Watch Dogs 2 and For Honor around the same time.

dreamfall

The story and world looks kick-ass as ever.

The core gameplay I'm mixed on. On the plus side the kills are deliciously violent and impactful. What I don't like is the superfluous-looking detective vision and the apparent exclusion of the series' signature traffic laws.

This is definitely a get for me, but not on day one. I'll need to soak in the reception and save up since I'm already kind of committed to purchasing Watch Dogs 2 and For Honor around the same time.

Love the Milo Garret avatar - 100 Bullets forever!

Yeah, I think the game has been framed with a mainstream audience in mind for the combat. But while some of the detail may have been left out regarding traffic, clothing, maybe eating/drinking, I think they've focused some of the resources else where. Hopefully the driving has improved greatly, and the weather system is really stunning.

Taking over districts reminds me of Assassin's Creed Syndicate / the way it was structured. 9 heads of each of the 9 districts (I think the last one is the Bayou), and completing activities to tear down that power structure culminating in a big takeover set piece.

Funny that they confirmed Uncle Lou was indeed Buddy Garrity!

Disgraced

Love the Milo Garret avatar - 100 Bullets forever!
Aw, you're too kind. Yours is good too. ;3
Yeah, I think the game has been framed with a mainstream audience in mind for the combat. But while some of the detail may have been left out regarding traffic, clothing, maybe eating/drinking, I think they've focused some of the resources else where. Hopefully the driving has improved greatly, and the weather system is really stunning.
I don't think I'll mind the streamlining so long as I can toggle and tailor it, specifically the UI. If it's their vision to make it more arcadey that's cool. The weather and environments are beautiful. The bayou reminds me of No Man's Land in The Witcher 3.
Taking over districts reminds me of Assassin's Creed Syndicate / the way it was structured. 9 heads of each of the 9 districts (I think the last one is the Bayou), and completing activities to tear down that power structure culminating in a big takeover set piece.
I just picked that one up on sale and I'm really enjoying it. It's a good structure. It's also kind of like Crackdown.

dreamfall

Aw, you're too kind. Yours is good too. ;3I don't think I'll mind the streamlining so long as I can toggle and tailor it, specifically the UI. If it's their vision to make it more arcadey that's cool. The weather and environments are beautiful. The bayou reminds me of No Man's Land in The Witcher 3.I just picked that one up on sale and I'm really enjoying it. It's a good structure. It's also kind of like Crackdown.

I really do hope we can toggle the UI also- there's a lot of clutter on that bottom left hand of the screen. With a weapon wheel, it should be more than manageable to switch weapons on the fly without it being obtrusive. Yeah, No Man's Land was quite swampy - the rain in The Witcher 3 was amazing too. Storms when out on the water, whoawesome!

I liked the structure of AC Syndicate, but I worry that some find it too repetitive. Like you can approach the district in a variety of ways, but the activities are all similar and the objective to take it over remains the same. I think with this, as you're destroying the economy of a district, each big story set piece mission will have a lot of variety depending on how you approached it. I'm excited see how switching your attack methods can change the story a bit, and can allow for some good replayability.

J_Viper

Andy Wilson in the Facebook Q&A said around the 6ish minute mark that Lincoln costume changes during the game, but that there isn't customization in it right now.

"The point of having Lincoln in these different costumes is that we have this curated narrative and there are some specific reasons why we want him to look different in the game" Sneaking in places, or point in time of seeing him in the story.
Hmm that's interesting

Thanks for the info!

Stiler

It'd be nice though if they would have optional "regular" outfits that you could wear and then just have him change for the specific missions where it makes sense for him to hide or go in like that.

Pachimari

After having seen what they have shown off at E3 I think my worst fears are coming true. That this is gonna get super repetetive, and that I have to take down these bosses, just to progress the story which is the interesting part. Needless filler, and the ways you can take down the bosses aren't varied enough to not get boring.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, as I already paid for the PC version.

dreamfall

After having seen what they have shown off at E3 I think my worst fears are coming true. That this is gonna get super repetetive, and that I have to take down these bosses, just to progress the story which is the interesting part. Needless filler, and the ways you can take down the bosses aren't varied enough to not get boring.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, as I already paid for the PC version.

Yeah, the pacing definitely looks like you'll have to partake in some of the open world activities to threaten the economy in the district to trigger the set piece missions. I'm wondering if there are other big missions outside of the takeover ones- and if there are other activities you can partake in throughout the city.

I never played mafia 1 and 2 but I do enjoy open world games with tight mechanics and great shooting, like watch dogs and sleeping dogs

I hope to god the movement is crisp like watch dogs if it's sluggish like gta, asscreed or mad max I'm going to only get a few hours in

dreamfall

I never played mafia 1 and 2 but I do enjoy open world games with tight mechanics and great shooting, like watch dogs and sleeping dogs

I hope to god the movement is crisp like watch dogs if it's sluggish like gta, asscreed or mad max I'm going to only get a few hours in

The first Mafia game definitely is on my list of all time greats I've ever played. I heartily enjoyed the second game as well. I think Sleeping Dogs utilizing gunplay felt a little bit weak to be honest, and I really liked that game - I think the melee focus made it much more interesting. Watchdogs had some of the best shooting mechanics in the open world TPS genre, that I can't disagree with.

But I like my Euphoria/RAGE engines too, a lot of people take issue with the slow cumbersome/wide-turning radius of the character but I never had a problem. Hoping we have a dedicated sprint button like in Mafia II !

The first Mafia game definitely is on my list of all time greats I've ever played. I heartily enjoyed the second game as well. I think Sleeping Dogs utilizing gunplay felt a little bit weak to be honest, and I really liked that game - I think the melee focus made it much more interesting. Watchdogs had some of the best shooting mechanics in the open world TPS genre, that I can't disagree with.

But I like my Euphoria/RAGE engines too, a lot of people take issue with the slow cumbersome/wide-turning radius of the character but I never had a problem. Hoping we have a dedicated sprint button like in Mafia II !

I agree with everything you say, I didn't mind the lack of gunplay in SD, and I LOVED the melee system better than any batman game

I don't hate way rockstar games move, I liked max payne 3, I just prefer a much more responsive control set

I really wish I had a tolerance for momentum based controls like the witcher 3, but I just can't tolerate it for more than a few hours

-BLITZ-

I can't believe that Vito is the only character who manage to appear in all three games. Actor's voice is amazing, I'm so grateful to see him back. Darn, I need to know what happened to Joe :(

The only thing that bugs me is their staring dead eyes to all three at the end of the 20 minute gameplay. They have to work on that, otherwise the characters won't feel real at all, compare to what in Mafia 2 were.

dreamfall

Option to choose between arcade and simulation driving model is in game according to this :D

https://twitter.com/andygwilson/status/743839624984854528

Holy goodness, this is the best news!

I don't hate way rockstar games move, I liked max payne 3, I just prefer a much more responsive control set

If Rockstar can figure out a way to get the precision of Max Payne 3 in one of their open world games (preferably Red Dead 3), it would be a game changer. I will say that on PC, a lot of the aiming problems are nullified with Kb/m shooutouts. But the engine itself is the most impressive thing in MP3- they set the bar for the best shooting mechanics in a TPS game.

I can't believe that Vito is the only character who manage to appear in all three games. Actor's voice is amazing, I'm so grateful to see him back. Darn, I need to know what happened to Joe :(

The only thing that bugs me is their staring dead eyes to all three at the end of the 20 minute gameplay. They have to work on that, otherwise the characters won't feel real at all, compare to what in Mafia 2 were.

Don't worry! Both Wilson and Blackman said that they will be tying up loose ends with Joe!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That really shouldn't be a problem anymore, I'm sure the deals are made with greater foresight now days.

Mafia 2 was available for just under 4.5 years before it had to be taken down from digital stores (March 2011 -> August 2015). I'd expect the same (or thereabouts) with 3.

GTA gets the golden goose treatment, naturally: Vice City and San Andreas were a decade old when some of the licences finally expired. 4's 10th birthday is only a couple of years away now, come to think of it.

How is Lincoln able to see through walls? Did Vietnam give him superpowers?

I like the reinforcement system, quick and easy. Reminds me of AC:Brotherhood.

Shredderi

The soundtrack is top notch. Incredible atmosphere. There are so many elements that look good but as with any open world game set in a city, I'm wary of it getting repetitive with mundane tasks.

Mafia 2 was available for just under 4.5 years before it had to be taken down from digital stores (March 2011 -> August 2015). I'd expect the same (or thereabouts) with 3.
Mafia 2's still on Steam though...?

I'm really excited for this game. The atmosphere seems incredible. Looks like it will fill the Red Dead-sized hole in my heart nicely until 3 finally rears its head.

dreamfall

I'm really excited for this game. The atmosphere seems incredible. Looks like it will fill the Red Dead-sized hole in my heart nicely until 3 finally rears its head.

It only recently went back up on Steam after being unavailable to purchase for years. It's actually a blessing that it went back up on Steam because it seems like there will definitely be strong callbacks to the story and we'll find out what happened to Joe. It'll be awesome to see an older Vito!

I seriously can't wait for the new Red Dead. I think the Mafia games have always had a special place alongside some of the best third person action games. The stories are always strong, and the gun play/driving in both Mafia 1/2 were exceptional for their time.

The soundtrack is top notch. Incredible atmosphere. There are so many elements that look good but as with any open world game set in a city, I'm wary of it getting repetitive with mundane tasks.

This is definitely the main issue - although the nature of the activities to tear down the mob economy of each district seem really varied. Destroying drug boats, robbing orgies, killing smack dealers, interrogating pimps, capturing brothels, robbing bagmen, capturing drug dens - the sheer variety and the ability to pick how you want to approach each district seems to add a lot of replayability.

This structure could start to feel completely repetitive like that in inFamous: Second Son. But if the locations and mission design of these side missions are unique (both in environmental situation and enemy behavior) enough, it might not feel repetitive/tedious. I also wonder if you can trigger mob boss takedowns from the start of entering each district - I like that depending on how you attack each one will affect the story missions.

Hopeful for the best. Blackman also confirmed races and weed runs for Cassandra, so hopefully we'll have explorable interiors, multiple safe houses and side activities we can partake in.

Shredderi

This is definitely the main issue - although the nature of the activities to tear down the mob economy of each district seem really varied. Destroying drug boats, robbing orgies, killing smack dealers, interrogating pimps, capturing brothels, robbing bagmen, capturing drug dens - the sheer variety and the ability to pick how you want to approach each district seems to add a lot of replayability.

This structure could start to feel completely repetitive like that in inFamous: Second Son. But if the locations and mission design of these side missions are unique (both in environmental situation and enemy behavior) enough, it might not feel repetitive/tedious. I also wonder if you can trigger mob boss takedowns from the start of entering each district - I like that depending on how you attack each one will affect the story missions.

Hopeful for the best. Blackman also confirmed races and weed runs for Cassandra, so hopefully we'll have explorable interiors, multiple safe houses and side activities we can partake in.

Yeap. I just feel like the "set in a city open world" formula hasn't evolved in a long time in meaningful ways because it would take years of just prototyping to find something really really good and revolutionary for the genre and no one has that kind of time to just prototype when they gotta start developing the game in order to stay in business. Either that or the only way to really make a wholly satisfying open world experience is to have an absurdly long dev time to make each sidequest unique with set piece moments etc. which is obviously not viable. Anyway I just feel like this genre needs a big revolution. It's the reason I can't get really excited for games like Watchdogs, Mafia 3 or even GTA series because I just assume that they won't cure the big bad of open world games. Games like The witcher 3 and propably Horizon Zero dawn I can tolerate a lot better for some reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Right, it was returned to the store just a couple of weeks ago, after 2K finalised a new tracklist (although the new music depots have yet to be implemented). Those who'd bought the game previously won't be affected, to be clear.

It only recently went back up on Steam after being unavailable to purchase for years.

You're thinking of the original Mafia. That remains unavailable.

Definitely the game that did the best for itself for me at E3. Went from a game I had heard of with no real interest in, to something I have a lot of interest in now.

Top Bottom