• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic Gate busted open 16,32 & 64Mb Mem cards Now available from Datel.

thefit

Bout damn time and just in time for PSP too.

What started out as a RUMOR across the net has now become a reality it appears... Datel now has available their own Memory Cards that surpass $ony's initial 8MB storage limitation while requiring no additional "Memory Manager" software! How is this possible? As detailed in the 16MB Max Memory Card PCB scan below, the new cards utilize a chip labeled "Gate Crasher" by RAWSCiENCE which gets around $ony's patented Magic Gate Encryption storage system.

Those looking to buy one of these new PS2 Memory Cards can check out Datel's US & UK Resellers located at CodeJunkies.com. They are currently selling the Max Memory 16MB ($19.99), Max Memory 32MB ($29.99), and Max Memory 64MB (49.99) varieties... more to come soon on this

Gate_Crasher.jpg

thefit

Yeah well originaly sony's early mem cards had a tendency of losing their info by simply being bumped around.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hurry before the inevitable Sony lawsuit/cease and desist order!

Drek

I've never been burnt by a Sony card, neither has anyone I know. Almost everyone I know of who has a 3rd party card however, and every 3rd party cards I've owned, have had problems.

I'll stick with Sony, besides, its late enough in the generation now so that I have all the cards I need. I'm sure that applies to almost all other PS2 owners as well.

thefit

Well I'm mostly excited about the fact that sony's supposed inpenetrable magic gate has been cracked cuz aren't their memory sticks also magic gate?

Drek said:
I've never been burnt by a Sony card, neither has anyone I know. Almost everyone I know of who has a 3rd party card however, and every 3rd party cards I've owned, have had problems.
Just to provide the rare counterpoint, I bought a used PS1 that came with a memory card which still works fine. The Sony cards I later bought eventually went bad. The bizarre thing is that one of the cards is SO bad that putting it into the system (on PS1; haven't tried with PS2) causes the system to think there are no memory cards or controllers plugged in... it's as if I accidentally got the lamest James Bond gadget ever.

Sho Nuff

Banned
As nice as it is to see this happen, it probably is illegal under that stupid DMCA.

By the way, despite the size of the memory card, it will always appear as "Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation(R)2)". Games aren't coded to display any other message...

Top Bottom