• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGICAL BEAT |OT| - Drop it to the beat

Shinriji

38bUZMH.jpg

Welcome to the Official Thread of MAGICAL BEAT. The arcade hit puzzle game from the creators of Guilty Gear and Blazblue comes exclusively to the PS Vita. Mixing the gameplay of puzzle games like Tetris, Money Idol Exchanger and Lumines, featuring an original Vocaloid soundtrack created by Kikuo, a well-known Nico Douga remixer. Enjoy fast and furious battles against the CPU or a friend.

INFORMATION

DEVELOPERS: Arc System Works
CATEGORY: VS Puzzle Battle
PLATFORMS: PS Vita
RELEASE DATE: June 17, 2014 (US), December 12 2013 (JAPAN)
PRICE: $9.99, 1200 yen
REVIEWS: 32/40 (Famitsu)
FEATURES: 175 MB, Ad Hoc multiplayer.
DEMO: Yes
BUY IT? Buy it.
WAIT FOR PS+? Lol

HOW TO PLAY

TQWFaM7.jpg

- The game works like Tetris (drop down pieces), but only L-Shaped pieces. The pieces keeps on the top of the screen, and you can rotate it.
- The objective of the game is to match 3 or more same color pieces.
- Meanwhile, a metronome will keep track of the BPM of the song currently playing. Each stage has it’s own BPM.
- If you match 3 same color pieces, the game won’t remove for you automatically. Instead, you must wait for a full metronome cycle for the game remove it for you.
- If you keep dropping pieces to the beat, the combo will keep going, until you mess up the tempo or wait to remove the pieces.
- Blocks erased from a side will disrupt your adversary side with dead pieces.
- The “drop it to the beat” system is completely intuitive, you probably already did that on Tetris. So matches in Magical Beat is a matter of speed, rhythm and keep your nerves into check.

BASE SONG LIST AND CHARACTERS

magicalbeat_thumb.jpg

MAGICAL BEAT (Arcade Mode, VS Mode, Free Mode)

Magical Greeting
Magical Beat (200)
Let's Rock the Beat
The Beautiful Magic (140)
Cute Robot Soldier (128)
UwaUwa-FUNK Gogo (110)
LALALILU Trip (70)
The Pico Pico World (180)
Tuntun Moonlight (80)
Twinkle Tiny Story (100)
Nehan Spellcasting (180)
Obaka Rythm Festival

And 12 more instrumental songs

GUILTY GEAR (VS Mode, Free Mode)

Nothing Out Of The Ordinary (220)
D.O.A. (160)
Keep The Flag Flying (126)
Launch Out (120)
Keep In Gates (145)
Feal A Fear (120)

BLAZBLUE CHRONO PHANTASMA (VS Mode, Free Mode)

Chrono Phantasma (138)
Memory Of Tears II (138)

XBLAZE (VS Mode, Free Mode)

XBLAZE (140)
Azure Maiden (130)

DLC SONGS AND CHARACTERS

mb.jpg

- Guilty Gear pack ($1.99 /4 songs/No avatars):

Keep Yourself Alive II (Sol - 120)
Holy Orders (Ky - 122)
A Simple Life (Bridget - 162)
Writhe In Pain (Millia - 130)

- Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Pack 1 ($4.99 /6 songs + Characters)

Under Heaven Destruction (Ragna - 131)
Rebellion (Ragna - 247)
Bullet Dance (Noel - 125)
Condemnation Wings (Tsubaki - 128)
Blood Pain II (Kokonoe - 147)
SIX-HEROES (Hazama - 125)

- Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Pack 2 ($4.99 /6 songs + Characters):

Catus Carnival (Taokaka) 127
Thin RED Line (Arakune) 166
Active Angel (Platinum) 141
Alexandrite (Makoto) 134
White Requiem II (Rachel) 140
X-Matic II (Carl) 168

- XBLAZE Pack 1 ($4.99 /6 songs/Avatars):

疾走 145
翠のやすらぎ 61
覚悟を胸に 140
殺戮ショータイム 140
血染めの忠臣 170
紅蓮のココロ 110

- XBLAZE Pack 2 ($5.49 /7 songs/Avatars):

情の奔流 170
マガキケモノ 133
いつもの景色 120
カレー屋 まは★ら~じゃ 120
零度の微笑 140
紫苑の巫女 85
世界はキミの為に鳴る 160

DLC dates and prices of the US version is currently unknown. Will update the OT as the info gets out there.

Special Thanks to VitaGAF and Arc System Works US

bigkrev

Wait, so ALL the music is from Blazblue/Guilty Gear?!?

I did not know this. I was set to buy this without even trying the demo, but I was assuming that this had a curated or original soundtrack. Now, I don't think i'm buying the game :(

Is this available overseas?

I have the JP release but find it super hard. Don't think I could get anywhere near the Platinum, but might give it a try again now that we have an OT.

No there is quite a large amount of original Vocaloid content, don't know where OP is pulling setlists from.

Also, the day when people recognize fuggen Money Idol Exchanger over Puyo...

Quixzlizx

Wait, so ALL the music is from Blazblue/Guilty Gear?!?

I did not know this. I was set to buy this without even trying the demo, but I was assuming that this had a curated or original soundtrack. Now, I don't think i'm buying the game :(

In what world is GG music a turnoff :(

so this is like lumines but with only L shaped pieces and you have to time the drops as well to the beat? let me try the demo first.. ^_^

Shinriji

And are the DLCs confirmed for tomorrow too?

Not sure.

Also, the day when people recognize fuggen Money Idol Exchanger over Puyo...

I thought that MIE> PUYO was a well-known fact.

so this is like lumines but with only L shaped pieces and you have to time the drops as well to the beat? let me try the demo first.. ^_^

The Lumines influence is that the basic strategy to win is that you can drop several pieces in the same metronome cycle or wait the metronome cycle to clear the pieces for you.

Shinriji

Wait is that setlist correct because I really don't want to listen to GG/BB music the entire time. :(

The arcade mode is only with original Magical Beat songs. You only can use the GG/BB/XBLAZE songs on versus or free play.

Later today, I will change my vita to the JP account and check all the soundtrack of Magical Beat. If anyone can send me the full soundtrack from the game, I'll add to the OP

linid0t

Looks pretty interesting! Song list looks a little short (if that is the full list), but I guess it is a cheaper title... Will probably pick up.

Wait, anyone know how the frame rate is? Only asking because I wouldn't have expected Project Diva F to be 30fps, but it is.

Shinriji

Looks pretty interesting! Song list looks a little short (if that is the full list), but I guess it is a cheaper title... Will probably pick up.

Wait, anyone know how the frame rate is? Only asking because I wouldn't have expected Project Diva F to be 30fps, but it is.

60 FPS. And there is almost 20 songs in the core game and many more in DLC.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seems like an interesting game, thank goodness there's a demo. & the fact GG and BlazBlue music is included & as DLC is tempting as well.

antibolo

Banned
Oh fuck, I didn't know the game had GG and BB DLC with songs from the respective games. This could get expensive fast...

Yasumi

Banned
Giving a page not found error on the Canadian webstore, and it's not showing up on the Vita store either. Hopefully this isn't another Black Rock Shooter situation.

zeopower6

Just played a bit of the beginner stage. It's... a bit hard on the quicker songs, lol.

The O/X confirm thing is probably going to be a bit confusing for people...

I just played through the beginner stages. When it gets past the second song or so the BPM is a little much for my brain to keep up with. :lol

Its like they need some more slow songs before the speed ratchets up.

antibolo

Banned
Giving a page not found error on the Canadian webstore, and it's not showing up on the Vita store either. Hopefully this isn't another Black Rock Shooter situation.

My blood is boiling right now. I was looking forward to that game.

Maybe this is just a fuckup. It's published directly by Arc System Works (not Aksys), who IIRC did a similar fuckup in the past, they pushed Guilty Gear on XBLA in the US only with Canada coming later.

Not holding my breath though. There is definite possibility of a dumb licensing issue with the music.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Tried the demo and it seems interesting. Granted, it's rather annoying wearing headphones & hearing the loud noise from getting a Great or whatever when placing blocks down a lot. Can make listening to the music hard at times because of all the noise going on, though maybe there's an option to change the different volume levels in the full version.

Also, it's not an issue with me since I've imported PS2 & PS3 titles before, but wonder why they kept the whole "O = confirm, X = cancel" thing that Japan uses, yet is swapped in the US. I can see that throwing people off that aren't used to that.

Won 4 out of 5 matches on my first attempt (lost the 4th round because the computer kept sending me blank blocks). I'll have to see about getting this. I could use another good game that's easy to pick up & play for a short amount of time, especially on a handheld.

Shinriji

The base game on the JP version is bigger (210 vs 175 of the US version) and DLC is an unlock code. Hopefully the DLC isn't cut out of the US version.

Roubjon

Played the demo and thought it was pretty fun. I'm worried I'll play it for a week and then never touch it again though. There doesn't seem to be many songs and there are only 3 modes, one of which is adhoc VS :(

EDIT: Well that didn't take long for me to give in.

apricot

Been waiting for this! While I could've bought the JP version and switched regions on my Vita, I really didn't want to go through all the hassle. I haven't played the demo yet but will gladly throw in my $10! And probably more when the DLC comes out @_@

Bwendin

Banned
Page Not Found!
It's not you. It's the Internet's fault.

More like it's the fault of arbitrary HEY FUCK CANADA rules. It's things like this that "almost" make me wish you could pirate Vita games.

Roubjon

This is pretty damn fun. When you get into the rhythm it feels really good. Also the timing seems to be on the early side, which is something I have to get used to, but once I do it should be even more fun.

Top Bottom