• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysian Prime Minister compares LGBT community to ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was reported in the Malaysian news about a fortnight ago, but didn't create much of a splash given the country's strongly social conservative leanings. I felt it important to share given that Malaysia bizarrely enjoys a reputation for being a good example of a moderate Muslim nation despite bullshit like this:

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak (pix) said that human rights should be defined according to the context of Islam and syariah in the country.

"Even if this is difficult to defend at the international level, we should defend the definition in the country," he said, noting that lately, there is a rise of extremist and liberal groups which are trying to dominate the majority of the country's population.

"These groups, are hiding behind the facade of human rights to approve their acts which deviate from Islamic teaching.

"Such groups includes the Islamic State (IS) and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community (LGBT) are targeting the younger generation to spread their ideologies - and it seems like they have managed to influence them," he said.

The source: http://m.thesundaily.my/node/324672

Tagyhag

z05.jpg

Yeah and religion doesn't target the youth at all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Prime minister of Malaysia bad!

Martial arts good!

Kill naughty man!

Obey my dog

Last year mytThai trans friend was arrested, had her hair shaved off in custody at the police station, jailed for 3 days and then raped within those 3 days in Malaysia.
Cops raided a bar she was working at, said she was a prostitute (she wasn't) and arrested just her despite other non trans women working there too (so why weren't they thought to be hookers?)..

Shit country for LGBT's....and dog lovers too.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's so bizarre that people like this can still reach positions of power in the XXI century.

bionic77

What are the odds that this guy is gay himself?

In the good ol US of A it often seems that the Republicans and politicians who are most anti-gay are often secretly gay themselves.

Yagharek

Given the campaign against Anwar Ibrahim who should be the Malaysian PM this is no surprise sadly.

The current Malaysian government is a dictatorship of corrupt ideologues and recalcitrants.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Guys like him who apparently believe that being LGBT is a choice, and that others can influence you to make it, just have to be 'struggling' with the occasional gay fantasy themselves.

"Of course it's a choice. I would fuck a guy immediately if it wasn't forbidden."

Despite what the thread title suggests, he doesn't compare the two.

LGBT rights and ISIS are probably two of the biggest points of discussion in the Muslim world (as it is incidentally in US politics). His argument is that neither these two are a true reflection of Islam because they are a perversion of the faith. Implying that he is stating an moral equivalence between the two -- whilst not necessarily a remarkable thought -- would be a stretch from that quote.

dream

Isn't homophobia latent even in moderate interpretations of the Quran? I remember reading a passage about Sodom in which Al-Araf said something about those who "approach men with desire" being "a transgressing people."

Isn't homophobia latent even in moderate interpretations of the Quran? I remember reading a passage about Sodom in which Al-Araf said something about those who "approach men with desire" being "a transgressing people."

The moderate position distinguishes the act from the desire, not the actual sin.

Jimrpg

As an Australian living in Malaysia right now i'm quietly going insane.

Also a couple of weeks ago Najib said this -

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...ould-stay-out-of-malaysias-affairs-najib-says

“Under 22 years of Tun Dr Mahathir (Mohamad’s) rule, there were problems too… But it was not like this now when everything is put out on Sarawak Report, as though outsiders are trying to determine who leads our country,” he said in his speech at the opening of the divisional meeting.

“I cannot stand for this, ladies and gentlemen. I cannot allow white people, the foreigners determine our future. What is their right?” Najib charged to the crowd of over 400 Umno delegates.

Then there was the 1MDB scandal where they were allegedly siphoning money out of the country and into Najib's bank account see here.

It's best to stay out of the politics here otherwise its just too depressing.

LGBT rights and ISIS are probably two of the biggest points of discussion in the Muslim world (as it is incidentally in US politics). His argument is that neither these two are a true reflection of Islam because they are a perversion of the faith. Implying that he is stating an moral equivalence between the two -- whilst not necessarily a remarkable thought -- would be a stretch from that quote.

Agreed, he doesn't compare the two. But more like he put them in the same basket of 'bad' eggs...

bionic77

Leaders should try and protect their minorities and those susceptible to prejudice, bigotry and in this case maybe even physical violence.

I find it very cowardly when people in positions of power don't take a stand for people who need it in their country. To be clear I am making a lot of assumptions and I really don't know much about Malaysia, but I am assuming that the LGBT community there is not well protected. Its low hanging fruit and I hate it when politicians or people with a position of influence do it in any country.

As an Australian living in Malaysia right now i'm quietly going insane.

Also a couple of weeks ago Najib said this -

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...ould-stay-out-of-malaysias-affairs-najib-says

Then there was the 1MDB scandal where they were allegedly siphoning money out of the country and into Najib's bank account see here.

It's best to stay out of the politics here otherwise its just too depressing.

Agreed, he doesn't compare the two. But more like he put them in the same basket of 'bad' eggs...

I don't see what's wrong with that quote, really. Why should foreigners get to decide how the country is run? Don't people give America all kinds of shit for trying to tell countries how to handle their business?

bionic77

I don't see what's wrong with that quote, really. Why should foreigners get to decide how the country is run? Don't people give America all kinds of shit for trying to tell countries how to handle their business?
He certainly could have phrased it a lot better.

He calls out white people. At best that is distasteful and worst that is racist.

The guy sounds like a moron. He could have just said that he want to keep his country independent, strong and free from outside influence.

He calls out white people. At best that is distasteful and worst that is racist.

The guy sounds like a moron. He could have just said that he want to keep his country independent, strong and free from outside influence.

Well, maybe it is specifically white foreigners trying to tell him how to run his country.

mieumieu

Guys like him who apparently believe that being LGBT is a choice, and that others can influence you to make it, just have to be 'struggling' with the occasional gay fantasy themselves.

"Of course it's a choice. I would fuck a guy immediately if it wasn't forbidden."

A lot of homophobes are not of the 'it's a choice' camp but of the 'you're natures abomination and has to be executed' camp. At least it is the case in my country. Which makes them even worse I know.

Jimrpg

Leaders should try and protect their minorities and those susceptible to prejudice, bigotry and in this case maybe even physical violence.

I find it very cowardly when people in positions of power don't take a stand for people who need it in their country. To be clear I am making a lot of assumptions and I really don't know much about Malaysia, but I am assuming that the LGBT community there is not well protected. Its low hanging fruit and I hate it when politicians or people with a position of influence do it in any country.

Malaysia in general is just not as progressive in their thinking as the west. Fifty years ago, western politicians would also say things like this.

Despite everybody in Malaysia having access to the world wide web and being able access the latest information, old habits especially those in the older generation die hard. It's just disappointing that people can't determine what's right and wrong these days, and why they can't be more tolerant.

Jimrpg

It's in reference to the US$1.8b that 1MDB allegedly siphoned out of Malaysia with $700m into Najib's account. In regards to 'white people', Najib is saying that Malaysians do things differently and 'white people' shouldn't mess with malaysian affairs. i.e. in Malaysia political donations equals corruption equals business and there's a grey area between all of them and that's just the way things are here. Whereas in the US or Australia its an absolute no-no.

Keep in mind this is basically $1.8 billion dollars of tax payer's money if the reports are to be believed.

In Australia politician Bronwyn Bishop took a helicopter ride and got dragged over coals in the media for that.

And also this. Its funny David Cameron was visiting Malaysia around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom