• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysian Prime Minister compares LGBT community to ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite what the thread title suggests, he doesn't compare the two.

LGBT rights and ISIS are probably two of the biggest points of discussion in the Muslim world (as it is incidentally in US politics). His argument is that neither these two are a true reflection of Islam because they are a perversion of the faith. Implying that he is stating an moral equivalence between the two -- whilst not necessarily a remarkable thought -- would be a stretch from that quote.

While I can see where you're arguing from, I do not agree. Firstly, the sheer act of placing both under the same umbrella is hugely damaging to a group that is already heavily discriminated against.

Secondly, gay sex is a criminal offence in Malaysia (as far as I'm aware, the law is silent on lesbian sex), a law Najib is all too happy to enforce, such as when he used it to convict the leader of the Opposition.

Well, maybe it is specifically white foreigners trying to tell him how to run his country.

It wasn't. It was in response to a white lady who ran a whistleblower site that implicated him in a huge financial scandal that has essentially tanked the Malaysian economy.

While I can see where you're arguing from, I do not agree. Firstly, the sheer act of placing both under the same umbrella is hugely damaging to a group that is already heavily discriminated against.

Secondly, gay sex is a criminal offence in Malaysia (as far as I'm aware, the law is silent on lesbian sex), a law Najib is all too happy to enforce, such as when he used it to convict the leader of the Opposition.

It wasn't. It was in response to a white lady who ran a whistleblower site that implicated him in a huge financial scandal that has essentially tanked the Malaysian economy.

The white lady ruined the whole economy? Just one? That's pretty bonkers.

Dryk

These groups, are hiding behind the facade of human rights to approve their acts which deviate from Islamic teaching.
Am I so out of touch? No, it's the human rights that are wrong

The white lady ruined the whole economy? Just one? That's pretty bonkers.

Yes, Clare Rewcastle Brown, perhaps the greatest white lady reporter ever known to Malaysian. Without her whistle-blowing activities, we won't know so much how filthy corrupted is the Malaysian government.

http://www.sarawakreport.org/. This website is running by her and IP banned in Malaysia. A futile attempt to block information since a simple open DNS method can bypass it.

The PM is a bigot and a tyrant. There'll be a massive rally on this weekend in KL and one of the agenda is to demand his resignation. WIsh us luck.

Renekton

Malaysian PM has:

- empowered a sovereign fund losing $11B+ of country's money, which is one of several funds/vehicles

- of which, 700m is unaccounted for and discovered to have gone thru his personal account

- family members live lavish lives with celebrity appearances like Paris Hilton in parties

- implicated in submarine purchasing corruption, and the subs' engine don't work

- links to C4 bombing of translator who worked in the submarine deal

- engaged in racism politics accusing Chinese, LGBT and Jews of all problems caused by ruling party

- silenced critics including prominent business newspaper

- depowered or reshuffled anti-corruption, and public account officials investigating sovereign fund, including attorney general

- declared himself a warrior fighting spirit but dodged every single public debate

Jimrpg

Why don't the people ask him to resign?

That's like asking Saddam to resign.

They've done everything to cover it up including blocking websites (which you can get around by using a simple VPN like Hola).

And they LOVE feeding the public ridiculous excuses. First they said it was a donation and that it shouldn't be clarified further. Only a few days later they said it was from the middle east. Three weeks passed before they said it was for championing islam.

I learned what kind of country Malaysia is when Malaysian teenaged girls nearly got jailed for hugging Korean idols during a concert in Malaysia.

That's like asking Saddam to resign.

They've done everything to cover it up including blocking websites (which you can get around by using a simple VPN like Hola).

And they LOVE feeding the public ridiculous excuses. First they said it was a donation and that it shouldn't be clarified further. Only a few days later they said it was from the middle east. Three weeks passed before they said it was for championing islam.

Not to forget that the PM wanted to sue WSJ for slandering him but he's still considering ''other options''. He unleashed his anger to Ms. Brown of Sarawak Report instead by IP banned her website since he couldn't do shit on WSJ.

Renekton

The PM is a bigot and a tyrant. There'll be a massive rally on this weekend in KL and one of the agenda is to demand his resignation. WIsh us luck.
Demanding resignation is enough justification for pdrm police to teargas and chem-spray your ass. And the newly minted deputy minister has thugs to beat up stragglers.

Malaysian PM has:

- empowered a sovereign fund losing $11B+ of country's money, which is one of several funds/vehicles

- of which, 700m is unaccounted for and discovered to have gone thru his personal account

- family members live lavish lives with celebrity appearances like Paris Hilton in parties

- implicated in submarine purchasing corruption, and the subs' engine don't work

- engaged in racism politics accusing Chinese, LGBT and Jews of all problems caused by ruling party

- depowered or reshuffled anti-corruption, and public account officials investigating sovereign fund, including attorney general

- declared himself a warrior fighting spirit but dodged every single public debate

So many wrongs and yet he's still in power.

Not

Banned
Literally all I know about Malaysia is that it's a developing country and Yuna is from there.

This is hyper-terrible, but it could be worse. I mean, some Islamic governments are funding Isis.

Malaysian PM has:

Please add one more:

- spent over USD 1 Million in a single month on credit card while he was on holiday and his annual salary is like only USD 85,000. Basically, he has Batman Forever credit card.

Literally all I know about Malaysia is that it's a developing country and Yuna is from there.

This is hyper-terrible, but it could be worse. I mean, some Islamic governments are funding Isis.

Even worse, Malaysian PM claimed the USD 700 million he received in March 2013 was a donation to his election campaign and a reward for fighting ISIS from Saudi Arabia.... when ISIS was only established in April 2013. Did the Saudi royal family has already foreseen the creation of ISIS??

On this coming weekend, the police force may consider using tasers to control the rally crowd. Source:

d6tEeFH6PnfCxgmehn_HkJwf6Ai_Xe4i1FsqwP-eqr-OVVh9x1Z0GNTXD684hK2XGzePCcsHZZeJ_jlPxw=w700

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/309748

Yep, showing off their tasers to put down the crowd. Do the American polices officers really use that against peace rally??

RibMan

These groups, are hiding behind the facade of human rights to approve their acts which deviate from Islamic teaching.

a) Teach kids how to accept others
b) Teach kids how to hate others

Which one of the two will have a positive impact on society?

gconsole

What is sad about this is they are moving forward to developed country status soon ( there current gdp per capita is around 24000 ). And their leader is still stuck in last century mindset.

As a Malaysian I'm pretty sickened by it too. Unfortunately, getting the guy to resign is near impossible... his ruling coalition controls the army, police, judiciary and even the friggin' election commission. So it's basically impossible for him to lose an election, get arrested, sued or overthrown, short of a miracle. Malaysia is really only pretending to be a democracy, but in reality it's out and out dictatorship.

Chuckie

As a Malaysian I'm pretty sickened by it too. Unfortunately, getting the guy to resign is near impossible... his ruling coalition controls the army, police, judiciary and even the friggin' election commission. So it's basically impossible for him to lose an election, get arrested, sued or overthrown, short of a miracle. Malaysia is really only pretending to be a democracy, but in reality it's out and out dictatorship.

Sounds like Indonesia under Suharto.

Sounds like Indonesia under Suharto.

Basically, yeah. It's been like that for years now. The opposition couldn't even speak out back then, because all our country's radios, newspapers and television channels are all controlled (and censored) by the government. Only recently did the opposition started spreading the message through social media and out-of-country websites like Sarawak Report... which is why he's trying to get facebook and all those sites banned as well.

Chuckie

Basically, yeah. It's been like that for years now. The opposition couldn't even speak out back then, because all our country's radios, newspapers and television channels are all controlled (and censored) by the government. Only recently did the opposition started spreading the message through social media... which is why he's trying to get facebook, etc. banned as well.

I had no idea this was happening to Malaysia to be honest. I knew there were some shady politicians but not that it went this far

Jintor

I had no idea this was happening to Malaysia to be honest. I knew there were some shady politicians but not that it went this far

Malaysia's just not on people's radars. I only know about it because my folks are from there

Chuckie

Malaysia's just not on people's radars. I only know about it because my folks are from there

My wife is Indonesian, so my radar does point slightly in that direction but it seems I haven't been paying attention for a while now.

Renekton

Well to be fair, majority of Ethnic Malays vote for them.

cameron

"Even if this is difficult to defend at the international level, we should defend the definition in the country," he said, noting that lately, there is a rise of extremist and liberal groups which are trying to dominate the majority of the country's population.

"These groups, are hiding behind the facade of human rights to approve their acts which deviate from Islamic teaching.

The guy sounds like a colossal tit. He's the leader of a nation with ~30 million people and not some tribal chief in a remote village.

I wonder how he feels about the treatment of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, where Buddhist leaders would love to limit human rights to fit their shit beliefs.

bahaha what? Since when did the LBGT community start beheading things?

I suppose if i really really struggled to twist logic and form a "link" you could say there is a militant element of those who militantly seek equality......so militant? nope i'm loosing this its too much mental gymnastics i can't hold down this train of thought it is physically making my brain hurt to make the leap between possibly militant pursuit of rights to a militant pursuit of no rights....nope not enough crazy in me to even get close to where he's coming from

maybe if i ate a bucket of LSD...

Renekton

There's a lot of fuckery going on with our elections. Ask anyone (Malay, Chinese & Indian) and the majority will say they hate him.
Not Malays tho, majority of them still support UMNO.

If Malays so much as split in votes, the popular vote % would have been crazy lopsided to opposition in 2013.

Not Malays tho, majority of them still support UMNO.

If Malays so much as split in votes, the popular vote % would have been crazy lopsided to opposition in 2013.

There's a lot of fuckery going on with our elections. Ask anyone (Malay, Chinese & Indian) and the majority will say they hate him.

Well, the typically fuckery involves openly bribing the poorer Malays to vote for him. There's actually, believe it or not, a special fund provided just for giving handouts to the poor in exchange for votes during election season. Doesn't work with the more educated Malays and other races, but the poor significantly outnumber the educated, so...

(even then, during the last election he lost the popular vote. He only barely won the election due to extreme levels of gerrymandering).

All in all, our country is all sorts of screwed. Our economy is tanking hard right now as a result.

Well, the typically fuckery involves openly bribing the poorer Malays to vote for him. There's actually, believe it or not, a special fund provided just for giving handouts to the poor in exchange for votes during election season. Doesn't work with the more educated Malays and other races, but the poor significantly outnumber the educated, so...

(even then, during the last election he lost the popular vote. He only barely won the election due to extreme levels of gerrymandering).

All in all, our country is all sorts of screwed. Our economy is tanking hard right now as a result.

You're partially right. Actually, most fuckeries are committed in East Malaysia. Some poorer Malays also voted the now ex opposition party like PAS. But what actually kept Najib in place was the majority votes coming from the East Malaysia natives. It was so easy to bribe them by just giving out cash or items like smart phones.

Najib made it legitimate to buy votes through the creation of BR1M that handed out cash and calingl it ''Financial Aid''. He even threatened to pull out BR1M if the people stop supporting him.

http://www.br1m.info/

What is it with conservatives needing to name check IS when talking about gay people?

Ted Cruz, this cunt.

Because ISIS is a group that pretty much everybody hates, so in some people's minds labeling a group as 'like ISIS is an easy way to character assassinate them despite how fucking stupid it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom