• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAMEoX v0.84.b1 with Virtual Memory is out!

aerofx

http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1026.nfo

=========================================================
Important Notes - Read EVERYTHING here before complaining
=========================================================

--------------
Virtual Memory
--------------

There is a file called VM.TXT that must be placed alongside the DEFAULT.XBE
and MAMEOX.XBE files. It contains game-specific VM settings.

Not every single game will work "as-is". A lot of games are defined in the VM.TXT
file and thus will "just work", but there are undoubtedly many that you will have
to define for yourself. This should (hopefully) be easy for anyone.

Furthermore, updates will be made to the VM.TXT file and can be downloaded from
http://mameox.sourceforge.net/vm.txt when they are ready.

Feel free to use the forums to let us know of any changes you make to your VM.TXT
file so we can add it to the official one.

-----------
Be Patient!
-----------

Some games, like the encrypted NeoGeo games (Metal Slug 3, King of Fighters 2000) and
pretty much all the Psikyo games, take a LOOOONG time to load. Even after it says
"Done Loading" you will sometimes have to wait a couple of minutes before it starts.
When in doubt, let it run for a good 5 minutes to be sure that it's not still
trying to load.
check out that last line... OUCH!

bjork

So... someone explain the advantage of emulating on Xhouse instead of PC... even my old 233 didn't take that long to load mame roms.

COCKLES

being watched
The Faceless Master said:
check out that last line... OUCH!

It's just like owning a C64 with a tape loader! :D

Great stuff. I'll be keeping my Neo stuff seperate with Kawaks so I'm not bothered about those. Should be intresting with the new MAME core how some of the polygon games run. Shit I need a major update on my romsets. :p

COCKLES said:
It's just like owning a C64 with a tape loader! :D

Great stuff. I'll be keeping my Neo stuff seperate with Kawaks so I'm not bothered about those. Should be intresting with the new MAME core how some of the polygon games run. Shit I need a major update on my romsets. :p
you gonna try anf run tekken tag on xbox?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

aku:jiki

I haven't had a 5-minute issue with any game so far. Vasara took a little while to load (maybe a minute?), but god damn, that game sure was worth it. Hadn't played it before.

Haven't messed with it much yet. Outfoxies is unfortunately not very playable. Choppy as hell and, well, MAME has never had sound emulation for it to begin with.

Tip: Sexy Parodius and Salamander 2 run on the same hardware as Daisu-Kiss, which is in the VM.txt file (but the former two aren't, for some reason). Just copy+paste the daiskiss line and add SP and S2 if you want to play 'em. They all run perfectly fine from what I could see. Maybe with a little frameskip, but what doesn't on the Xbox?

(In emulators! That was not a diss on Xbox, calm down!)

Belfast

Speaking of MAME emulation, I haven't checked it out for awhile. Anything that new technology (good 3d support, etc.) would warrant looking for? You don't have to tell me where to get it or anything, just what's worth checking out. :)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Can anyone show me how to get KI/KI2 to run on MAME32(PC)?

I can't figure it out.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DaCocoBrova said:
Can anyone show me how to get KI/KI2 to run on MAME32(PC)?

I can't figure it out.

IIRC you need the rom files plus the CHD file in the same folder/zip. Your best bet would be to find a rom of the game already ready to played on MAME or another emulator.

Renegade

Banned
If you want 5 minute loading, load GunBird 2. Yeesh.

If you own a lightgun, this version of MAMEoX is worth HUNDREDS of dollars. It's literally THAT good.

And that arcade Sonic game is THAT damn good as well. Excellent game.

Renegade

Banned
bjork said:
So... someone explain the advantage of emulating on Xhouse instead of PC... even my old 233 didn't take that long to load mame roms.
It does not take long to load the smaller (15MB and under) roms at all. The 25MB and higher roms need virtual memory, because unpacked they can get as large as hundreds of megabytes.

eso76

aku:jiki said:
Tip: Sexy Parodius and Salamander 2 run on the same hardware as Daisu-Kiss, which is in the VM.txt file (but the former two aren't, for some reason). Just copy+paste the daiskiss line and add SP and S2 if you want to play 'em. They all run perfectly fine from what I could see. Maybe with a little frameskip, but what doesn't on the Xbox?

I didn't have to do anything in order to play Salamander 2.
i just selected "force virtual memory" from the options menu and it worked :)
Twinbee Yahoo runs fine too. Cute.

Vagabond said:
It does not take long to load the smaller (15MB and under) roms at all. The 25MB and higher roms need virtual memory, because unpacked they can get as large as hundreds of megabytes.
I've been messing with it all day, figuring out configurations for games I like. Still haven't had to wait for five minutes. Granted, I skipped on Gunbird 2 since I have the PS2 compilation for that. Vasara is still the longest one for me, at about one minute. That ain't bad at all. I'll just go smoke half a cig or something while I wait.

I'm kinda disappointed, in the end, though. Most games run with some kind of chop or major frameskip. And since I'm a shooter kind of guy, that completely ruins them for me. Why is Kawa-X' VMM code better at this? Or can it be the MAME core, since so many different people make it, they might be differently optimized? Cause, well, ESP Ra.De. and Guwange run even better than in FBAX (imo, after 1 round with each) here, but something from 1994 can frameskip out the wazoo without being any more technically impressive.

eso76 said:
I didn't have to do anything in order to play Salamander 2.
i just selected "force virtual memory" from the options menu and it worked
Twinbee Yahoo runs fine too. Cute.
Yeah, but different games run different configurations in that menu. Finding out which, and then adding them to VM.txt is a lot less of a hassle.

Of course, if you wait a few weeks, some crazies out there will have made a VM.txt optimized for every MAME game out there.

Renegade

Banned
Most of these games run MUCH better in FBAXXX

Buriki one IS the longest loading game for me by far. 4 1/2 minutes.

I mighta exxaggerated GunBird 2's load time :| I just wanted to play it soo bad

Renegade

Banned
I'm kinda disappointed, in the end, though. Most games run with some kind of chop or major frameskip. And since I'm a shooter kind of guy, that completely ruins them for me. Why is Kawa-X' VMM code better at this? Or can it be the MAME core, since so many different people make it, they might be differently optimized? Cause, well, ESP Ra.De. and Guwange run even better than in FBAX (imo, after 1 round with each) here, but something from 1994 can frameskip out the wazoo without being any more technically impressive.
This is the first iteration of frameskip done by ONE person, and this is his first time really doing virtual Memory. It'll be tweaked in later versions for sure.

Look at Xport's history:

Stella, Gnuboy, SMSPlus, FCEUltra, HUGO, NeoPop, DGen, Bochs, HUGO-CD,
FMSXBox, Bliss, WinSTon, Gens, Z26X, StepmaniaX, PCSXBox, XBoyAdvance,
DOSXBox, AtariXLBox, MirrorMagicX, KoboX, MaelstromX, MarblesX, Vice64X,
Vice20X, VicePETX, KegsX, XPired, AdamX, WonderSwanX, BeatsOfRageX,
PowermangaX, LynxBox, BlueMSXBox, GladiatorX, AmphetamineX, StarfighterX,
PachiX, BlobWarsX, OdysseyX, ArnoldX, X68000X, WinUAEX, MAMEoX+VMM...

While VERY impressive, only the latest entry uses VMM. Even PCSXbox does not need it because it implements HLE. It'll get better.

Both FBA-X and Kawa-X are more specialized emulators and run fewer systems (Capcom CPS1/2 and NeoGeo, right?). Systems they're designed to emulate are probably going to run much faster on those emulators than on Mame. Mame has more general drivers without any speed hacks or things like that. The philosophy for Mame is completeness and accuracy above speed. That's primarily why I use them instead of Mameox for the systems they emulate.

Anyway, if those games run better on other emulators, just stick to them. Mameox is nice because it runs a ton of other systems that no other emulator will run.

Rabid Wolverine said:
Has anyone tried Run and Gun on this ?

I did. It loads the roms and gets to the check rom screen but it goes into a reset loop from there. It does this in MAME32 for the PC so I think I have a bad set. :(

Either way, it does load the roms so I assume if I get a good working set, it'll run the game.

Hell, just the few games I've tried that I knew wouldn't work with the old Mameox are working now with the update.

Renegade

Banned
Even so, the fact that certain roms take so long to load could be an exhibit of XPorts 'newness' to virtal memory management.

eso76

Yeah, but different games run different configurations in that menu. Finding out which, and then adding them to VM.txt is a lot less of a hassle.

Of course, if you wait a few weeks, some crazies out there will have made a VM.txt optimized for every MAME game out there.

Well, but....i don't know, all i did was opening the options menu and putting a nice little 'yes' near "force virtual memory" or something like that. I didn't touch anything else and everything runs fine now.

Vagabond said:
This is the first iteration of frameskip done by ONE person, and this is his first time really doing virtual Memory. It'll be tweaked in later versions for sure.
That's not a very good excuse. MHz (Kawa-X) is one person and he had never done anything on the Xbox before, yet he came through with the best VMM and best-looking graphics of any emulator.

Not saying I don't appreciate Xport's work or anything, I just thought with all his experience it'd be watertight. There's always hope that he can tighten up the code, though, I guess. And I have played some amazing new (to me) games today, so it's all good in the end.

eso76 said:
Well, but....i don't know, all i did was opening the options menu and putting a nice little 'yes' near "force virtual memory" or something like that. I didn't touch anything else and everything runs fine now.
Which probably means you're running at the default commit size of 1024. Yeah, more games will run on that setting, but games that don't need it will be loading slower and sometimes running choppier than they need to be. Your loss, so I don't really care. Do what you want. :p

eso76

Which probably means you're running at the default commit size of 1024. Yeah, more games will run on that setting, but games that don't need it will be loading slower and sometimes running choppier than they need to be. Your loss, so I don't really care. Do what you want. :p

Oh, I didn't know that. honestly i just rushed to try the emu without reading anything that came with it, so i may be missing something, but so far all the titles i'm interested in run smooth and load relatively fast. Thanks anyway, i'll try tweaking those settings

eso76 said:
Oh, I didn't know that. honestly i just rushed to try the emu without reading anything that came with it, so i may be missing something, but so far all the titles i'm interested in run smooth and load relatively fast. Thanks anyway, i'll try tweaking those settings
Just messing with you a little. ;)

(Not that I was joking about the settings, errr.)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The Shadow said:
Anyway, if those games run better on other emulators, just stick to them. Mameox is nice because it runs a ton of other systems that no other emulator will run.

Or you can have the best of both worlds and get a mini tower 3.0ghz PC, roughly the same size as box, with TV out, ATI remote and not have to trip on speed or load times...AT ALL ;)

xoxide_1802_13828015

*killer PC cases*

DJ_Tet

Banned
The Shadow said:
Both FBA-X and Kawa-X are more specialized emulators and run fewer systems (Capcom CPS1/2 and NeoGeo, right?). Systems they're designed to emulate are probably going to run much faster on those emulators than on Mame. Mame has more general drivers without any speed hacks or things like that. The philosophy for Mame is completeness and accuracy above speed. That's primarily why I use them instead of Mameox for the systems they emulate.

I did. It loads the roms and gets to the check rom screen but it goes into a reset loop from there. It does this in MAME32 for the PC so I think I have a bad set. :(

Either way, it does load the roms so I assume if I get a good working set, it'll run the game.

Hell, just the few games I've tried that I knew wouldn't work with the old Mameox are working now with the update.

I've been waiting for Run N Gun to work to get back into MAME. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

aerofx

Xport just released this an update with some fixes. v0.84.b2.

What's new :

- Fixed Namco System 1 bug - this should fix the following games:

- shadowld
- dspirit
- quester
- blazer
- pacmania
- galaga88
- ws
- berabohm
- alice
- bakutotu
- wldcourt
- splatter
- faceoff
- rompers
- blastoff
- ws89
- dangseed
- ws90
- pistoldm
- soukobdx
- puzlclub
- tankfrce

- Fixed bug with DigDug, Xevious, Bosconian

- All cleanup activity is now skipped when exiting a game and the launcher is
simply reloaded. This should fix most of the freezing issues during exit.

- Fixed input mapping bug where changes made to game-specific mappings were
being applied to the primary default configuration file.

COCKLES

being watched
Anyone noticed Outrunners pedal bug is fixed?

You can actually bomb around at full throttle now and complete the game. :D

Top Bottom