• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Girls of the Wild's 216

okay so he's been confronted about not leading daldal around now that he's going out with queen
and he's alone with daldal

please don't fuck this up
im begging you

Quasar

Girls of the Wild's 216

okay so he's been confronted about not leading daldal around now that he's going out with queen
and he's alone with daldal

please don't fuck this up
im begging you

I really hope the Japanese cliches don't get all pulled out in an effort to hit the reset button. Starting with Queen walkiing in on them next chapter.

Revo

I really hope the Japanese cliches don't get all pulled out in an effort to hit the reset button. Starting with Queen walkiing in on them next chapter.

yeah, that'd probably be the lowest point of the series if they keep daldal in the dark

Re-Life 110

god hishiro is so awkward cute

Zweizer

Banned
Tenkousei, Ridatsu Suru (One-shot) by Komori Youko

0hPoadi.jpg

A cynical schoolgirl meets a whimsical transfer student. Makes for a cute short story about having a brighter view on life.

dramatis

Its still more of an arc then she ever had before, and besides of the cast trying to help her Soma who she's tsundere for is the least interested in helping her out.
What arc? The one where she has no agency, and her grandpa is asking a guy she openly dislikes to 'save' her from her father? All these male figures who decide what she is and what she should do?

lol

You can write a tsundere character development arc without resorting to rescue mission, surely. I don't consider damsel in distress better than tsundere because Erina the character had more agency and room to change herself as a tsundere compared to now where her development and path is being forced on her by everyone else.

Perhaps from your standpoint you see it as an improvement. But with the sexist tinge this development takes, I can't see how it is an improvement at all. Fanservice is upfront about its intentions, whereas story and character writing are insidious.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
34-Sai Mushoku san 1-8 (reread)
I think i did an impression of this one before, but what the heck, let's do this again!
A manga about 34 years old unemployed single woman. It's relaxing and sad at the same time. See her going through trivial thing like thinking hard about buying new vacuum cleaner or sleeping in during trash collection day. Despite not much is happening, but the way she live her life is probably something that most of us can relate too. Something that make you goes, "oh yeah, this happen to me too!"
So give it a read if you're into relaxing SoL that's kinda bittersweet.

What arc? The one where she has no agency, and her grandpa is asking a guy she openly dislikes to 'save' her from her father? All these male figures who decide what she is and what she should do?

lol

You can write a tsundere character development arc without resorting to rescue mission, surely. I don't consider damsel in distress better than tsundere because Erina the character had more agency and room to change herself as a tsundere compared to now where her development and path is being forced on her by everyone else.

Perhaps from your standpoint you see it as an improvement. But with the sexist tinge this development takes, I can't see how it is an improvement at all. Fanservice is upfront about its intentions, whereas story and character writing are insidious.

Would you be as upset if Erina was Azami's son and was in the same kind of situation? Or it simply because Erina is a girl and has to be helped by others that this is a sexist plot point? The only part that I would even remotely cry foul to was grandpa asking Soma to help Erina which Soma didn't even seem all that interested in doing. I don't think this story arc is insidious at all, I also think it's silly to deem this whole arc shit when it's still ongoing.

Kyuur

So I guess there's no :re till next week or later this week huh. :(

Jump

Toriko was pretty good, back to delicious narration with ridiculous events. I really like that style, must be why I loved the Chimera arc in HxH too. Rest of the chapters were pretty non-noteworthy.

dramatis

Would you be as upset if Erina was Azami's son and was in the same kind of situation? Or it simply because Erina is a girl and has to be helped by others that this is a sexist plot point? The only part that I would even remotely cry foul to was grandpa asking Soma to help Erina which Soma didn't even seem all that interested in doing. I don't think this story arc is insidious at all, I also think it's silly to deem this whole arc shit when it's still ongoing.
If Azami's son was written that way, I would also complain that he has no agency. But there is no Azami's son, there's Azami's daughter surrounded by men making her decisions.

From a male standpoint, the pretty genius girl turning into a trophy is not insidious at all, I suppose? Joking about tsundere, saying that female characters who spurn the male characters are just trying to hide their feelings, and they really want the male characters, that's not insidious, I mean what girl would actually say no to a guy right? The grandpa may have asked a complete stranger to rescue his granddaughter, but that's fine and not insidious because the male character didn't even seem interested—I mean, girls don't have their own opinions about what they want for their own futures!

It's sexist. That's only one of the problems with the story arc.

Go and find me a story where a guy is the trophy without agency in his own future and talked over like Erina has. The multitude of "rescue the love interest girl" stories makes the story tired, old, and uninteresting. Sure, the arc isn't over. But what's the difference? I already know the ending. Soma is going to win, Erina gets some slapdash moment to shine because it's lip service rather than naturally written, and the school goes on. The journey itself was mighty unpleasant when it started and I don't expect it to get better.

It's boring and old, and a better arc could have been written to progress Erina.

She is in a situation where she could form her own opinions and change her own future, but her grandfather approaches the main male character instead. She is arrogant to chefs of all ages and incredibly confident about her abilities, but all these character traits disappear the moment her father is in the picture—because for all those years she spent recovering, nobody in her whole family thought maybe we should sit down and tell her what her father did was wrong? For the convenience of the main male character, the Nakiris wait for the school to implode and for an outsider to come in order to rescue Erina? She can't challenge her father by her own decision, on her own merits, and rally the students against him, learning humility from requesting help from the people she originally spurned? That isn't a better storyline?

Perhaps all this time you're surrounded by people who say, "It's okay in the context of the story", but it's given people excuses for poorly written female characters, excuses for when female characters get shafted, excuses for crappy plotlines. It's not okay. It could be better. And it should be, but it's not, so why complain when others drop it? If the best arguments you can come up with to defend the current arc is, "You don't like because it's sexist?!" and "The arc is not over yet", then it's probably time to consider if the arc is any good.

Kurita

Mainichi Futeneko
Got this for Christmas.
This might be one of the most specific 4koma out there. The stories are almost exclusively dedicated to music (it's published on a music website), it's filled with references to bands I love so part of the humor will be lost on people who aren't into Japanese music...
The "futenekos" are the most loveable things ever. They're weird cat-like creatures always getting into funny situations like in your traditional 4koma, but their unique style make it better than the rest. The series is quite popular amongst music fans in Japan and the author is friends with a ton of artists.
It's still a good way to practice your Japanese though cause it's not that hard to understand.
http://www.m-on-music.jp/series/futeneko/

Grexeno

My Hero Academia 73

Villains showed up wayyy too early. The author's greatest fear is clearly someone saying "this is dragging."

So I went to a local library today and they had the whole Toriko and OP up to date manga set but instead of the usual soft backs they were all in hardcover formats.

I asked if they modified them but apparently the got them shipped via Viz Media in that hardcover form.

I mean regular stores and consumer websites don't have this but the library gets a special superior version lol (likely due to durability)

Viz Media WHY DO YOU DO THIS

Yuri Danshi-kun 01-02

when you love yuri in a BL world

eh, premise is amusing but kinda meh reading it through
too many characters to keep track of

wonzo

Banned
So I went to a local library today and they had the whole Toriko and OP up to date manga set but instead of the usual soft backs they were all in hardcover formats.

I asked if they modified them but apparently the got them shipped via Viz Media in that hardcover form.

I mean regular stores and consumer websites don't have this but the library gets a special superior version lol (likely due to durability)

Viz Media WHY DO YOU DO THIS

library editions are pretty common and for obvious reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom