• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beau Ties Ltd is also a good source of bow/straight ties.

We should also do daily wear, could add context to my terrible ideas/advice haha...

Some evening attire, plz don't mind the post-vacation-haven't-shaved part lol :(
U4WnO.jpg

SCHA/Fendi/RodartexOC/Balenciaga "Phosphor"

Desi

I wear only Timex's. Never could get into the watch game because of my ignorance of a lot of subtle details. Just matters on the amount you'd like to spend and the type of watch.

If anyone is interested in the latest editorials, ad campaigns, male models, etc. I go to thefashionisto.com. It is like a giant photo library of the past three-four years.

Fritz

_dementia said:
FashionGAF, recommend me a watch.

I often see people wearing Maurice Lacroix over here in Europe. It's kinda like the affordable gateway drug to classy watches.

I am no exception of course, I wear this one:
186531.jpg

Haven't worn a watch in probably a decade or longer, and the last one I owned was a junky casio.

Grabbed one of those CK Collection suits on Yoox; for $207 with free expedited shipping who could say no?

49119150id_12_f.jpg

macuser1of5 said:
Haven't worn a watch in probably a decade or longer, and the last one I owned was a junky casio.

Grabbed one of those CK Collection suits on Yoox; for $207 with free expedited shipping who could say no?

49119150id_12_f.jpg
Holy shit that guy looks tall

ngower

_dementia said:
FashionGAF, recommend me a watch.

A simple Timex face and a bunch of straps, some fun, some classic, would go a long way to stretch your dollar.

I just bought this bag in forest green:

27172_blueb1.jpg

kaskade

Bought my first pair of Authentic Original's. No blisters or anything so far, though I haven't done any crazy walking yet. I did get a blister from my canvas ones(striper I think they're called) on the back of the ankle. That may have helped toughen that area up.

Much more comfy than I thought. That's coming from someone who hates to not wear socks.

Great OP. I've been thinking about buying some hoodies and sweaters and I figured this would be the best place to ask: Are hoodies/jackets with zippers on the side and high collars still in? I'm thinking of buying one

examples
Free_Shipping_Men_Homme_High_collar_Zipper_side_coat_2011_top_brand_men_s_jackets_men_s_dust_coat_sweatshirt_Size_M_L_XL_XXL_.jpg_200x200.jpg

mens-rider-hoodie-jacket-sweatshirt-guess-armani-ck-ccce6.jpg

The top two look busy to me, and not in a good way. High collar hoodies seem weird to me, like shoehorning something dressy into a very casual garment. You can get nice hooded jackets that will accomplish a similar look more successfully.

Fou-Lu

I really need to get some style. :\

How the hell do you afford anything outside of walmart as a uni student though?

lightless_shado said:
Great OP. I've been thinking about buying some hoodies and sweaters and I figured this would be the best place to ask: Are hoodies/jackets with zippers on the side and high collars still in? I'm thinking of buying one

examples
Free_Shipping_Men_Homme_High_collar_Zipper_side_coat_2011_top_brand_men_s_jackets_men_s_dust_coat_sweatshirt_Size_M_L_XL_XXL_.jpg_200x200.jpg

Looks too anime inspired for me.

Ichor said:

Lots of online places have deep discounts and so on, hard to give recs without say a per-item limit. I would say though you can get nice stuff but you'll just have less of it.

Fou-Lu

macuser1of5 said:
Lots of online places have deep discounts and so on, hard to give recs without say a per-item limit. I would say though you can get nice stuff but you'll just have less of it.

I don't even know where to start. I've been wearing clothing from walmart and warehouse one my whole life.

LordCanti

Ichor said:

Website clearance sections. Gap/Banana Republic/Urban Outfitters/American Eagle/Forever 21 mens, etc. I bought like...five shirts (two button up, a polo, and a sweater) and a pair of skinny jeans for like $75 at The Gap's online store, during a 40% off sale a few weeks ago. Most of that expense was in the sweater and the jeans. The shirts were like...$7-$10 each. The sunglasses I wear were $5 at Forever 21 mens, and they literally look exactly the same as a pair of wayfarers ($100+).

Uni-Gaf gets it done on a budget
not that we have a choice

Luckily, girls our age aren't expecting a tailored suit. They're fine with a pair of skinny jeans and a nice hooded t-shirt.

Edit: Oh, and order your clothes off season. Stores dump inventory of winter clothes during the summer, and summer clothes during the winter. That is what I've found, anyway. I've gotten wool sweaters for >$20 in the middle of summer when it was 110F and I was the only crazy bastard ordering sweaters.

BlueWord

lightless_shado said:

examples

Unless you're in great shape, you're not going to be able to pull that off.

CFMOORE!

BlueWord said:
Unless you're in great shape, you're not going to be able to pull that off.

i wouldn't even go as far as saying you need to be in great shape. you just have to be emaciated

LordCanti

CFMOORE! said:
i wouldn't even go as far as saying you need to be in great shape. you just have to be emaciated

You'd better look like a model as well. I don't think the average person could pull a collar like that off.

LordCanti

_dementia said:
I want to buy some button-down shirts for cheap. Any online sales going on?

I think the Gap/Banana Republic have 20-30% sales right now. They always have them though, so that isn't a huge deal. Their selection is kind of picked over compared to a couple weeks ago anyway (only XXL and S left in some shirts). Forever 21 men's doesn't have a sale going, but they have some pretty cheap button downs. Macy's is having a 15% off clearance items sale, but you'll have to wade through junk to pick out winners.

Prentice

Neo Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap, brown leather watch? I'm just looking for a placeholder for when I can afford a better one at the end of the year. Quality/Movement is irrelevant here.

_dementia said:
I want to buy some button-down shirts for cheap. Any online sales going on?

Definitely Gap if you're looking for simpler patterns.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Prentice said:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap, brown leather watch? I'm just looking for a placeholder for when I can afford a better one at the end of the year. Quality/Movement is irrelevant here.

Thrift/vintage shops! Saw some really great brown leather '60s Timex watches this afternoon in the $20-$40 range. If I were a watch person, I'd have grabbed them up for sure.

Grabbed this rockin' '70s red leather bag, though:

Image08062011161134.jpg

JackThreads is such a cool website, thanks for putting me onto it thread.

On a related note, I'm looking for a solid, stylish jacket, since all I have right now are hoodies and a very bulky ski jacket. Any recommendations?

FilthyLies said:
JackThreads is such a cool website, thanks for putting me onto it thread.

On a related note, I'm looking for a solid, stylish jacket, since all I have right now are hoodies and a very bulky ski jacket. Any recommendations?

When are you looking to wear this jacket? Fall or winter? How heavy do you want it to be?

lupin23rd

Anyone familiar with the "rinse" wash from Levi's? Is it anything similar to a one-wash like a lot of Japanese jean companies do?

Tried on a denim shirt today and was curious whether I could expect it to fade reasonably well, or whether I should just take the plunge and get an LVC rigid shirt instead.

overcast

What store has nice button up plaid shirts for decent prices?

I live in California, and I wear them often since they are pretty nice. What would you suggest I wear under? (I usually just rock a white t).

Munin

So I wanna go for a pendant/necklace with something that also holds meaning for me, so I would like something with a bird/wing/feather motif. But I don't know if any of these look too tacky. What do you think?

p0016952541.jpg

p0016238012.jpg

I like the latter one but think it's too big..I would prefer something more subtle. Dunno. Or just not do it at all? :( Suggestions? Just want some accessory that helps me stand out a bit when wearing a shirt.

overcast said:
What store has nice button up plaid shirts for decent prices?

I live in California, and I wear them often since they are pretty nice. What would you suggest I wear under? (I usually just rock a white t).
Forever21 has a decent selection and really cheap, too.

ngower

Aldo are pretty terrible quality, fall apart like paper.

You could get some Onitsuka Tigers, they're pretty cheap and a step up from canvas shoes as far as casual sneakers go. I'd recommend an all black pair as it'd go with everything and won't show dirt as easily.

ngower said:
Aldo are pretty terrible quality, fall apart like paper.

You could get some Onitsuka Tigers, they're pretty cheap and a step up from canvas shoes as far as casual sneakers go. I'd recommend an all black pair as it'd go with everything and won't show dirt as easily.
Really? That sucks. I've never bought a pair, but they sure are pretty looking. Looks like I'll have to try a pair when there's one on clearance just to experience it firsthand.

latinlikeaviolin said:
When are you looking to wear this jacket? Fall or winter? How heavy do you want it to be?
Well I live in Colorado, we get pretty cold from about September to April or so, it'd probably see usage all throughout that period. I've already got the aforementioned ski jacket for real bad weather, so medium to light. Essentially something a bit heavier than a good hoodie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom