• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mlatador

Banned
Jesus Christ, I'm FREE!!!

The Last 500 points or so was probably the most UNFUN I've ever had with a videogame. No wait, not probably, it definitely was, and it was due to 2 things: Online Problems (mainly no hit registration when you play worldwide, especially with people from Japan) + the New Item Balancing (which SUCKS ASS beyond belief!!!)

New Item Balancing:

It's unbelievable how much you get hit in this game. There are soo many things you just can't block and with 12 people spamming everything they have, it's just ridiculous: Boomerang = can't block. Fireflower = can't block. Horn = can't block.

Add to this the fact that you now get absolutely useless coins out of item boxes, EVEN if you already have 10, basically inviting everyone to fuck you up, it's almost unbearable.

But the worst Item out of them all is new and "improved", goddamn Green Shell... I've got hit by "random" Green Shells sooo many times, it may left me traumatized. The sound of "randomly" traveling Green Shells is the worst thing in the game, because that's the point: Green Shells are not RANDOM!!

They are programmed to "seek & destroy" players. They have a form of auto aim and if they don't hit, they just continue traveling around looking for their next victim. It is absolutely RIDICULOUS! Even if you have a defensive item attached to your back (Red/Green Shell or Banana), they hit you from the side, or worse, from the front. They literally find a way to hit you no matter what you do.

Whoever complained about a blue shell in Mario Kart will forever hate the new Green Shells, because they are 10x worse than a Blue Shell (and I'm not even kidding).

Call me crazy, but I also think the Fire Flower projectiles have some "slight" auto-aiming to them.

There is NOTHING truly random in this game. It is a huge fuck you to every competitive player.

So all in all: the New Item Balancing just feels very bad. The feeling of getting hit by random objects repetitively that are not random, no matter how good you drive, invokes the feeling of unfairness and makes you just not want to play the game anymore, because it's ass much fun as rolling the dice. So when the developers said "we improved the balance", they didn't mean, "we address one of the complains about previous Mario Karts: luck", but rather "we made it even MORE random than any Mario Kart before".

Online Problems:

In the first month or so, this game was severely plagued by overloaded servers, which caused tremedous lag and reduced the game speed significantly (it felt like you were constantly driving in water) and made your item wheel spin 5x longer and shit. FUNNILY enough, and I'm sure people in the GAF races have noticed this, too, it also caused super boosts to last longer. I remember games on Gaf where you could win multiple times in a row with just a koopa + pripeframe, so handling + boost was > speed.

Now, fortunately the servers are faster now (2 month after the game was launched), but instead of being super slow, they actually SPEED UP occasionally, which again, is absolutely ridiculous, as it feels like driving at 250cc. I know, some F-Zero fans will be happy to hear this, BUT the hit detection is fucked up at the same time. So you throw shit at somebody, but the hits doesn't register and the player just drives away as if he was never hit by anything. Especially if you play people from overseas, for example Europe <-> Japan), it is better to keep you item and ue it defensively.

SO WHAT ARE THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE GAME??????

The New Cart Handling:

Seriously, the new cart handling just feels great. Drifting is rewarding, but a bit riskier than before, and just more fun than in previous games. Every Kart/Tire combination has a very distinct feel to it (although UNFORTUNATLEY light characters are almost useless)

The Graphics:

The game is just super beautiful. The lack of anti aliazing sucks, but this was never a problem to me, because I prefer playing on the Gamepad (downsampling for the win!).

The Sound:

Freaking amazing.

VERDICT:
The New Item Balancing has somehow ruined the game for me (as a competitive player). I've played Mario Kart 7 waaay longer than 8 and never was I seriously disgusted by its Item Balancing. In Mario Kart 7 I never felt the same helplessness. Getting hit never felt so bad in MK7 like it does it MK8 (I probably got hit by more Green Shells than Red Shells, seriously...)

MK7 has some game-mechanic-problems (certain karts allowed you to drift offroad and shit among some other things), but it just felt more balanced and not as downright vicious as MK8. However, the pure Kart-Racing (the driving and handling of the karts) is much more fun in MK8.

Exentryk

^ I think I've run into you before.

Anyway. Play more Frantic friend tourneys here at GAF from now on, and just enjoy the wreckage :D

Mlatador

Banned
^ I think I've run into you before.

Anyway. Play more Frantic friend tourneys here at GAF from now on, and just enjoy the wreckage :D

Yeah, tournaments are a good idea. Frantic with a crazy, but fun (not neccessrily "winning") Character/Kart combination would be something I would enjoy. But worldwide races? Never again!

hazukash

Played as Koopatroopa and Lakitu yesterday. They attracted so many green and red shells respectively that we thought the shell on their backs cursed them.

Cathcart

idk I think if you ever find yourself using the phrase "as a competitive player" wrt Mario Kart you're kinda asking for it. You may as well write a post about chocolate pudding as a building material.

I know this post kinda makes me an asshole but c'mon, son.

Revven

Waiting till the patch cause I need that patch.

I'm just gonna play in pub rooms and maybe other tournaments (like GameXplain's tournament every Saturday) until the patch comes out. Hopefully the patch will revitalize interest for GAFfers (hopefully.......)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I was gonna play more Mario Kart after beating Divinity.

But then I started replaying Xenoblade, and yeah. ReynTime

Really glad the patch is coming, though.

I'll be back tomorrow, I've been working completely insane hours at work since last weekend. Finally some rest and days off starting... now!!!
Really glad the patch is coming, though.
Whoa, what's this? Did I miss some news???

Edit: never mind, in my tiredness I misread this as "coming tomorrow" :/

I'll be back tomorrow, I've been working completely insane hours at work since last weekend. Finally some rest and days off starting... now!!!

Whoa, what's this? Did I miss some news???

Edit: never mind, in my tiredness I misread this as "coming tomorrow" :/
well i going to play some game tonight on frantic lobby

Jeez playing in WW and can't seem to get anything but mushrooms...

New Edit: Finally got in the 4300 range and it's extremely chaotic. Every five seconds something is hitting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom