• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open GDC impressions and video

offscreen footage - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-2012-mario-tennis/727905?

IGN impressions - http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220294p1.html
A couple of interesting things that should set Open apart from its predecessors are a few of the 3DS-specific control options. Under normal circumstances, the game provides a top-down perspective of the court, one that allows you to clearly see what's happening on either side of the net. However, if the player lifts the system upward a little the camera shifts to over-the-shoulder, which gives you a better view of the ball as it approaches you.

While in over-the-shoulder view you're also able to use gyroscope to aim by moving the system side to side. It'll be interesting to see if this proves useful and is quick enough to pull of to truly effect gameplay and strategy - but my small taste of this option has me eager to test it out more completely.

Games Radar impressions - http://www.gamesradar.com/mario-tennis-open-mario-sports-go-3d-upcoming-game/
Though that hardly means things are unchanged, as we learned early on with power shots. Instead of charging them up to release at your choosing, they now happen whenever one of several different colored circles appear on the court. Hit the corresponding type of shot to match the attack (lob, topsin, slice, etc) and you'll do a much more powerful shot. This new feature added an unpredictable intensity to the matches.

Mario Tennis has always* been great. I turned off powerup smashes or whatever you call it in the Gamecube one, but thought it was excellent. I wanted to get around trying the cheap Wii port.

Sure this one will be excellent, and being that I love playing 3DS in max 3D, I'm sure it'll be memorable.

*even Virtual boy..at the time..

I've been waiting for a new mario tennis. Definitely awesome.

Edit: I'm curious how not using the touchscreen will be. I can't see a problem but trying to hit a shot quickly and hit two buttons one after the other will mess up the shot.

mandiller

R.I.P RPG Mode

It's not a $40 package without it.

Is there definitely no RPG mode? I've been suspecting the worst since I first saw footage but always had a shred of hope. Such a shame if they don't manage to put it in. This game goes from must get to meh.

I'm skeptical on the power circle gameplay, the videos aren't selling it on me either. Maybe it's one of those "you have to play it to enjoy it" kind of deals

I don't care too much about an RPG mode if the online is good(see Mario Kart).

A legit sports(though Nintendo-ey) title online for a Nintendo portable???

Yes.

That use of the gyroscope seems awful..........................ly interesting, hope it adds something as the gyroscope for the 3DS has been used very well in some titles.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
if theres no rpg mode, ill just wait for the gbc game to hit the virtual market.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've never played the GBC version, but all this talk about the RPG mode makes me hope they release it on 3DS virtual console around Mario Tennis Open's as promotion.

Didn't you play as some normal dude in a world where Mario and Co. were celebrities?

Boney

Banned
I've never played the GBC version, but all this talk about the RPG mode makes me hope they release it on 3DS virtual console around Mario Tennis Open's as promotion.

Didn't you play as some normal dude in a world where Mario and Co. were celebrities?
You basically started as a normal dude or dudette that just got into this tennis academy so you run around the place go to the tennis courts and ask for matches. So the overworld stuff was complete filler.

Then, because it's an RPG and you need progression, you start out severly gimped and you move slow and hit slow, and you play with terrible people as well so that makes matches not fun at all. And the major draw of shaping the character is kinda dumb because you can just choose a standard character and not have to deal with making a terrible character have the stats of a regular character.

Wiz

I'll buy it regardless of if it has RPG mode or not. I loved the N64 Mario Tennis enough and I played that in mostly single player.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You basically started as a normal dude or dudette that just got into this tennis academy so you run around the place go to the tennis courts and ask for matches. So the overworld stuff was complete filler.

Then, because it's an RPG and you need progression, you start out severly gimped and you move slow and hit slow, and you play with terrible people as well so that makes matches not fun at all. And the major draw of shaping the character is kinda dumb because you can just choose a standard character and not have to deal with making a terrible character have the stats of a regular character.

RPG characters in both Golf and Tennis eventually become way fucking better then the regular Mario people to the point where eventually you could make someone who hit as hard as bowser and moved as fast as yoshi.

Boney

Banned
RPG characters in both Golf and Tennis eventually become way fucking better then the regular Mario people to the point where eventually you could make someone who hit as hard as bowser and moved as fast as yoshi.

they became better but they couldn't max all the stats. You reached a point, fairly quickly, where you have to give one stat up in order to increase another stat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
they became better but they couldn't max all the stats. You reached a point, fairly quickly, where you have to give one stat up in order to increase another stat.

Useless Technique stats are useless for a reason. Who cares about spin when you can just slam the ball!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Exactly.

Also, this time make it easier to shoot the ball out of bounds, this has always been a pet peeve of mine with Mario Tennis games. I hope there's community features a la MK7 where you can turn off power shots amd also set up a proper tournament. Roland GAFimbledon would be glorious, fightin' for dat wild card

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
That music just makes me want Golden Sun 3DS now.

clemenx

Banned
R.I.P RPG Mode

It's not a $40 package without it.

I feel the same way but online can save this game for me if they do a good job with it which is a must. Arcade Tennis is a drug for me.

Could be the same as Mario Kart 7 which despite being pretty barebones It has gotten almost 80h out of dat online for me.

I hate power shots so much. What a shame it's still there in some form.

was the gba rpg version better? because the gbc one is pretty ass

It's terrible and gets old really fast on GBA too. I honestly don't get the appeal for RPG mode that people keep harping on about here. Then again I've always preferred the mechanics of the console games by far.

Haha! So true, it's amazing how much people eat it up if you take something away from them and make them earn it.

dreamfall

I loved GBC RPG-lite elements. Not really because gameplay started slow but more because of the exploration and talking to other characters before matches. There was a real sense of training at a tennis academy and working your way to the Star tournaments. This is precisely what added charm to the Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip PSP title. I loved walking around before matches, playing in very neat environmental courts and the gameplay was phenomenal.

pakkit

Banned
This is going to have online competitive and system link play, correct? I love Mario Tennis, although the changes to the system regarding power shots sound...suspect.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This is going to have online competitive and system link play, correct? I love Mario Tennis, although the changes to the system regarding power shots sound...suspect.

Yeah. Online play, local play (with 4-player Download Play), leaderboards, all in.

Top Bottom