• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario toys coming to British Happy Meals!

LordKano

20170107_231408.png

Is this a tease for Super Mario Frost Land ?

That mario and bowser ones look horrible.
At least they are different from other years.

Before amiibos this was cute. But with amiibos existing, me giving a fuck about mario figures in mcdonalds is zero.

TannerDemoz

Also worth noting you can buy the toys separately at 99p if you ask nicely (I did this a couple of times)

Might depend on management

EmiPrime

No thanks, I'm an adult.

Please ignore the 100 amiibos on my shelves, they're uhhh, someone else's. No idea how they got there.

samn

so the happy meal option they promote is... a bottle of water, a few chicken nuggets and some apple slices? does anyone really buy that?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I hope they make it to Europe. A while ago we also got this line:

I got the Mario + block one, and you get the coin sound effect every time you bash the block, love it.

Jesus Christ what is that new mascot they have? What was wrong with Ronald McDonald?

Well, you know, Clowns have been getting some odd exposure in the media throughout 2016... McDonald s is actually downplaying Ronald McDonald right now and putting more emphasis on their less-creepy but still-creepy Happymeal Box mascot. That thing looks like it belongs in Sausage Party.

NEO0MJ

They're in the middle east as well. But no way am I stepping near a McD, especially not to ask for a toy.

Somebody told me once that Happy Meals in the UK are called "Cloudy Meals".

Just sharing. Toys look cool. Have a good day everyone.

Edit: This was a small jest. I know that UK Happy Meals are not called Cloudy Meals.

DonShula

so the happy meal option they promote is... a bottle of water, a few chicken nuggets and some apple slices? does anyone really buy that?

That's the healthiest combo possible of all the available options. So they advertise it but no one buys it.

It's interesting that Mario is popular at all in the U.K. after the NES's failure. But I guess that sentence shows how old I am.

KDR_11k

Somebody told me once that Happy Meals in the UK are called "Cloudy Meals".

Just sharing. Toys look cool. Have a good day everyone.

No, branding for happy meals was unified worldwide some years back AFAIK (besides "cloudy" probably being BS) so now it's Happy Meal everywhere, untranslated. I have forgotten what the German name used to be...

It's interesting that Mario is popular at all in the U.K. after the NES's failure. But I guess that sentence shows how old I am.

With Sonic now mainly on Nintendo systems that was bound to happen :p

Piers

The cynic in me wonders if Nintendo would do this (and Universal Studios) if Wii U wasn't sure a big flop.
But apparently they did this before, though, with NSMB Wii?

Side note: some of the McDonalds look crazy now. One near me also has touch screen displays to order your meal from, and wooden cubes to sit on at ground floor.
Props to them if they change those cubes to Mario-themed blocks.
Edit: Photos:

KDR_11k

The 10 year old me would have been over the moon!

Can I get them without the garbage food?

Usually yes, depends on the mood of the cashier. My family used to buy extra toys when I was a kid because sometimes we kids wanted more than one of the toys.

The cynic in me wonders if Nintendo would do this (and Universal Studios) if Wii U wasn't sure a big flop.
But apparently they did this before, though, with NSMB Wii?

Side note: some of the McDonalds look crazy now. One near me also has touch screen displays to order your meal from, and wooden cubes to sit on at ground floor.
Props to them if they change those cubes to Mario-themed blocks.
Edit: Photos:

Ehh, yes, they have done the mcdonalds stuff various times before, and the Universal teheme parks is not about the wiiU flooping is about expanding the brand (and also it was planned before the wiiu flopping).

Those screen machines have been in mcdonalds for more than 3 years ago (or even much more, I dont remember when they were brought but they are really not new, at least in Spain. I think its was at the time when they changed all their brand logos from red to green).
Also, is that second photo the mcdonalds near the madame tussaduds in London? Its the one I went last year when i went there hahaha.

I thought the Game Boy was popular plus Miyamoto himself greenlit this*:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nF92mu8X0
It was actually in the UK charts. I wonder if Hip Tanaka has ever heard it...

*-No seriously, the guy just got on a plane to Japan after getting nowhere with whatever Nintendo UK was at that time.

it's available in Saudi Arabia is well from week ago

C1s7-FbWIAEYtMG.jpg
These selections are always slightly different from country to country and I see the UK doesn't get the mushroom. I wonder if it makes the same sound as the red one (which is the power-up coming out of a block sound effect).

Top Bottom