• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. DK: Miniland Mayhem |OT| of hey guys this game is good

Salsa

IEGj8.png

yC0CY.png

At the grand opening of Mario's new theme park, where Pauline is a special guest, the first 100 guests will receive a mini Pauline toy. Donkey Kong is the 101st guest to arrive. Instead of walking away empty handed, he grabs Pauline and heads into the park. Now Mario must rescue Pauline by guiding Mini Marios through over 200 new action-puzzle levels filled with traps set by Donkey Kong. Grab your stylus and place girders to cross pits, build conveyor belts, set springs, or even place warp pipes to solve these puzzling levels. Mario VS. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! is the latest installment in the Mario VS. Donkey Kong franchise that offers plenty of new challenges for new players and fans alike.​

JIc90.png

• Use your stylus to strategically place items and solve different puzzles. Once you tap the Mini Marios, be ready to react quickly to help guide them safely to the exit.
  • With an intuitive interface, players of any experience level will be able to enjoy Mario VS. Donkey Kong. Players can access the in-game Help Mode that lets you get more information on key items. Additionally, if players get stuck trying to solve a level, they can now use the new Mini Guide to demonstrate a possible solution.
  • Feeling creative? Construct your own levels in the Construction Zone with an easy-to-use level building tool. You are also able to share your new levels with friends over local wireless or post them online using the Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.
  • Access new levels created by fellow users with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Store up to 160 additional puzzles to always take the action with you, wherever you go.
  • Participate in the all new Challenge Mode where you will create a level based on certain criteria. Players can vote for their favorites and the top rated levels will be announced.
  • The new Mini Pauline toy has been added to the roster of familiar toys in the series (Mini Mario, Mini Toad™, Mini Princess and Mini Donkey Kong).

NIIu8.png

MariovsDonkey_box.jpg

n41fm.png

ss0.jpg
ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg
ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg
ss5.jpg

ss6.jpg
ss7.jpg

ss8.jpg
ss9.jpg

QCD3f.png

Gaming Target - 9.6/10

If you like puzzle games, Mario games, Donkey Kong games, games you can pick up any time on the go and jump into without missing a beat, adorable games, or even if you just like a good brain-teasing challenge, you will absolutely love it.

IGN - 9.0/10

The ability to create your own levels, share them online, and compete in Nintendo sanctioned design contests gives Mini-Land Mayhem major replay value.

Game Informer - 8.3/10

This endless stream of player levels mixed with plenty of unlockable stages will keep MvDK fans busy for quite a while

GameSpot - 8.0/10

The only real problem with Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem is that it feels too much like the last two games in the series--both in terms of aesthetics and gameplay. That's not much of a complaint, considering how much content is loaded into this hefty little package, but it is hard to stave off the feeling that this is just another tweaked round of the same stuff.

more coming...

uXKbC.png

Rich!

Looks great, but here's hoping they get rid of the minis for the next outing. DK'94 is still the best of the series.

Do want! The last ones were enjoyable and for some reason, shortly after launch Nintendo just stops printing copies..? The last entries are hard to find and Gamestop charges a lot for the pre-owned iirc.

Salsa

richisawesome said:
Looks great, but here's hoping they get rid of the minis for the next outing. DK'94 is still the best of the series.

In a way i kinda miss the first GBA one, it was really great.

On the other hand this is the perfect fix for a lemmings craving.

I can't wait for this tomorrow. I love DK '94 and the first Mario vs Donkey Kong, but wasn't a huge fan of the first DS one. This one seems to be a lot better though.

GhaleonQ

I think this is 1 of the top 5 underrated franchises of this generation. I don't even like either subgenre (1994-1; 2-4) that much, but I have a lot of fun with them.

Salsa

GhaleonQ said:
I think this is 1 of the top 5 underrated franchises of this generation.

Agreed!

I think most people dont have the patience for games like these. Its a very old-school kind of gameplay.

loosus

Banned
I really liked games like Lemmings, but for some reason, the Mario versus Donkey Kong just are not my cup of tea. I think it might be partially subconscious: it's almost like the fact that because Mario and Donkey Kong are in the game, I feel like I should have more freedom.

Salsa

loosus said:
I think it might be partially subconscious: it's almost like the fact that because Mario and Donkey Kong are in the game, I feel like I should have more freedom.

Well that's interesting :lol

Another thing to keep in mind: this one's music is FANTASTIC. It has new versions of songs from every Mario game (including SMB2 songs, wich are ussually underrated), and even some DK tunes thrown in there.

GhaleonQ

SalsaShark said:
Another thing to keep in mind: this one's music is FANTASTIC. It has new versions of songs from every Mario game (including SMB2 songs, wich are ussually underrated), and even some DKC tunes thrown in there.

*goes to confirm*

If I recall, the previous 3 had 2 or 3 remixes of their 27 or 28 total songs. So, this has a remix-dominated soundtrack? Are the worlds Super Mario-based, too?

Brannon said:
What's up with that hand position she's pulling off. Normally you'd only see that in Megaman games.

And unless Mario's WAY in the foreground, imagine how screwed up his dimensions are compared to normal people using Pauline as reference. Mario has some sort of disease and he's STILL able to save the world!

Salsa

GhaleonQ said:
*goes to confirm*

If I recall, the previous 3 had 2 or 3 remixes of their 27 or 28 total songs. So, this has a remix-dominated soundtrack?

These games always had great music, but i think this is the best one yet.

I wouldnt call it remixes as they are more like revisions of old tracks, but there's some new stuff as well.

You can get a glimpse of what im talking about HERE.

GhaleonQ said:
Are the worlds Super Mario-based, too?

Not necesarelly, but there's clearly some inspiration.

GhaleonQ

SalsaShark said:
I wouldnt call it remixes as they are more like revisions of old tracks, but there's some new stuff as well.[/url].

That's all I meant.

RagnarokX said:
I like how the Giant Bomb guys couldn't recognize the original Donkey Kong arcade theme. "Is that from Mario Tennis?"

*laughs* They are many things, but "cognizant of video game history" is not 1 of them (Jeff being the occasional exception).

RagnarokX

GhaleonQ said:
That's all I meant.

*laughs* They are many things, but "cognizant of video game history" is not 1 of them (Jeff being the occasional exception).
"Why is Pauline up there?" "DK kidnapped her." "She is so much hotter than Daphne" "You mean Peach?"

Foffy

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Yeah, bummer since all the other Mario games have completely different storylines

NOT TRUE! If I recall right, the first DS game had DK kidnap Pauline because she chose Mini-Mario over Mini-DK! So it's not the same story! :D

Same premise, maybe~ :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon has already sent my copy on its way.
I am amazed that these seem to slip under the radar so easily.

stuminus3

For some reason I thought this was going to be another DSiWare game. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just thought it was. Added to the Christmas list! :D

donny2112

Is this just a fleshed out version of the DSiWare game? That game had a ton of content, and probably could've passed for a retail game. :lol

Regulus Tera said:
Wait, Mario is dating both Pauline and Peach now?
Nope, just business partners. >_>

Ever since Mario vs. Donkey Kong, I've been really digging Pauline's updated design. I really wish they'd use her more with the other characters, she should get a shot at a spot in Mario Kart or Party.

Salsa

Mejilan said:
Amazon has already sent my copy on its way.
I am amazed that these seem to slip under the radar so easily.

Awesome, be sure to post impressions. I should be be getting mine by the end of the month.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
While I enjoyed March of the Minis I was hoping this would be like the first. Still looks good I would just enjoy the puzzle platforming instead of the Lemmings like gameplay.

Going to get it. I wonder if it shares content with the DSiWare game?

After this, I hope they do a new one in the style of the first. I actually liked MvDK better than DK94, then again I played it first so I don't have nostalgia for the latter.

Salsa

Allan Holdsworth said:
After this, I hope they do a new one in the style of the first. I actually liked MvDK better than DK94, then again I played it first so I don't have nostalgia for the latter.

Yeah i think its time for me to replay Mario Vs DK gba. Only played through it once, i think im gonna try this out. :D

Regulus Tera said:
Wait, Mario is dating both Pauline and Peach now?
I think that in the current canon Luigi is now boning Peach while Mario is dating Pauline and cheating her with that galaxy chick

OMG Aero

donny2112 said:
Is this just a fleshed out version of the DSiWare game? That game had a ton of content, and probably could've passed for a retail game. :lol
Wasn't the DSiWare game just a straight port of the original March of the Minis game?

RagnarokX

PetriP-TNT said:
I think that in the current canon Luigi is now boning Peach while Mario is dating Pauline and cheating her with that galaxy chick
Nah, Mario is just playing all of them for his true love; delicious cake.

OMG Aero said:
Wasn't the DSiWare game just a straight port of the original March of the Minis game?
No, not at all. It was a full sequel with significant gameplay differences (most notably in how you control the minis). Mini-Land Mayhem is actually the third game in the minis-based MvsDK series, after MvsDK2:MotM and MMA. MvsDK1 (GBA) was closer to the DK94 style of gameplay.

Davey Cakes

PetriP-TNT said:
Wasn't Luigi boning Daisy as well?

Right now I'm still trying to complete the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong on GBA. Gave up on it years ago, but now I'm back. Probably won't need another MVDK fix for a while now, but it's good to know that Miniland Mayhem will be a good choice down the road, even though it has the mini-Mario gameplay (which I haven't yet experienced).

zigg

I'll throw in that the DSiWare title was also an almost totally new game as well—the levels had to be, because the mechanics were very different—but the boss battles were recycled.

Don't care one bit, though. It was a fantastic value. Didn't we once figure there were about 140 levels available from Nintendo alone? Then you add in what was available online, from user submissions, etc.

Salsa

zigg said:
I'll throw in that the DSiWare title was also an almost totally new game as well—the levels had to be, because the mechanics were very different—but the boss battles were recycled.

Don't care one bit, though. It was a fantastic value. Didn't we once figure there were about 140 levels available from Nintendo alone? Then you add in what was available online, from user submissions, etc.

This is still the definitive version if you want to buy just one though, we'll probably see a lot of the old levels online thanks to the level creator.

cooljeanius said:
I think the Mario vs. Donkey Kong universe is a different reality from the Mushroom Kingdom universe where Peach lives.
The problem with that is how does one explain the Princess Peach and Toad Minis? Like the Mario timeline its probably something not worth thinking about and just enjoy playing the game :lol

Top Bottom