• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. DK: Miniland Mayhem |OT| of hey guys this game is good

RagnarokX

Starwolf_UK said:
The problem with that is how does one explain the Princess Peach and Toad Minis? Like the Mario timeline its probably something not worth thinking about and just enjoy playing the game :lol
Yeah. Mario has never been about story and there's no timeline. I mean, Mario fought Donkey Kong, and that Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong, and the modern DK is DKJr. Best just not to think about it.

It's funny how Mario is such a jerk in the DK games.

DK: "Hello good sir, I would like to purchase one of your delightful toys."
Mario: "Get your hands of my toys you dirty ape."

He was a jerk in Wario Land too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHsX-KJRG4

zigg

RagnarokX said:
It's funny how Mario is such a jerk in the DK games.

DK: "Hello good sir, I would like to purchase one of your delightful toys."
Mario: "Get your hands of my toys you dirty ape."

For some reason, this reminds me of the Trix Rabbit's eternal war with the kids. :lol

Ok, this is a GREAT game, folks. They have this concept down to a seamless science now. I just spent the past hour perfecting the first world, and it's so polished and controls perfectly. And the first Donkey Kong boss battle was actually a challenge to get a trophy on, and it was pretty cool too!

And the music is sooooo charming. A perfect mix of Mario themes and DKC music, befitting Mario vs DK. World 1 featured Super Mario Bros. 2 music, with the stage finish jingle being the world finish jingle from SMB2. World two has the sassy drumbeat tune from DKC (Jungle Japes?). What an awesome month for DK. :D

I though Mario vs DK 2 was good, the DSi game was a nice step up, but this feels like a perfection of the concept. And with the creation and downloadable levels, it will never end! Buy this, people. I feel like a corporate shill, but I want them to continue upping their game with this series, so it needs sales!!! :)

Noone cares about this game *sob*

Bump to say I just polished off the end boss of the main game *spoiler- it's DK* and unlocked plus mode and X stages. So aside from the 8 worlds of 10 stages each and the 20 special stages you can unlock, there's like 10 X (expert) stages and then the entire game in plus mode.

Plus mode is the same stages, except they give you different minis and tell you what order they have to enter the door. (eg Mario then Toad) This totally changes the strategy as you have to figure out how to get them in the right order at the end, and makes for some frantic on-the-fly strategizing.

This game has sooooooo much content. I haven't even touched the online or creation stuff yet.

Spike

Got my copy yesterday and have been having a blast with it. Game is amazing. Sad to see that it will be overlooked.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I went to a few stores in my area yesterday and they are all sold out of this game, which surprised me as when I was out shopping last week, most of them had quite a few copies on the shelves.

Regardless, I'll order it online. :D

Neo Child

Banned
Uh I made such a good level, problem is my router is stupid encrypted to cant go online and share or dl stuff GAHK.

My level is so good though, fucking tricky dicky

Got it about a week ago.

Beat the main game, the 20 Special levels and 4 Extra levels so far.

On Plus Mode I'm up to World 4. I already know the Special/Extra levels are going to be damn hard.

Haven't touched the online aspect. I doubt I'm going to create any levels, but I'll at least download the Nintendo ones.

I've been playing a lot of this game over the couple of weeks since I got it (used, $13 card only, nice :)), and it's a great game. I beat the final boss of Normal mode several days ago, but there's more game after you beat DK "for good" than there is before it, so I'm stilly playing. I have gotten everything in Normal mode now, but most of Plus mode remains, and it's harder. Apparently it's very, very similar to the other two DS MvDK games, but I haven't played them so I wasn't certain what to expect from this game. I was kind of thinking it'd be more like DK'94 than it is, but once I got used to it I have come to really like the game.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis is a quite good puzzle game for the Nintendo DS. While the presentation is clearly "inspired" by Donkey Kong '94 for the GB, the gameplay is not; instead of being a puzzle-platformer, this is a pure puzzle game, in the vein of Lemmings crossed with Donkey Kong '94 and with some unique elements, I guess. The goal is to get all the minis to the goal door without allowing any of them to die. There are enemies, obstacles, and traps in the way, but you can't control the minis; instead they move on their own. All you can do is place environmental objects, which you have limited numbers of, in specific, pre-selected spots. Objects include ladders, platforms, spring blocks, and more. There is a trophy and a medal to get in each stage, and to get both you will have to figure out how to collect the items and get all minis to the exit in as fast a time as possible.

The game starts out very easy. In fact, through most of Normal mode the game isn't much of a challenge. It spikes up in a few stages here and there, but I got through a lot of the main game quickly without much trouble. This concerned me somewhat, but the game made up for it later, with some tricky unlockable bonus stages, and with the harder Plus Mode you unlock after beating the game which requires you to get all minis to the goal in a specific order. This makes some stages much harder, and really becomes quite a challenge, particularly if you want to get the trophies... good luck getting all of them to the goal quickly in the right order! Still though, that you do have to get quite far into the game before it becomes a challenge is an issue with the game, and it would be my main complaint I think. That the game makes up for it later one helps a lot, though.

In addition to the main single player game, the game also has level creation, where you make your own levels. It doesn't just let you make levels though, it also lets you download maps other players made over the internet. This is a pretty cool feature to have; MvDK 4 here has no multiplayer, but even above the map editor, online map sharing is a fantastic feature that really adds a lot to the game.

Oh, the graphics, which are entirely 2d (prerendered characters, drawn backgrounds), are simple, but look good enough. Similarly the music is solid but not exceptional. The game looks solid, though not anything special. It's really the gameplay that carries the game, and not the graphics. Fortunately for it, the gameplay's more than good enough to keep me playing for quite a while. I'm currently in world 3 of the Plus mode, it certainly is more challenging when you always have to get them to the door in order.

So I've got this coming in the post. Is there any reason for me to bother with older entries in the series (btw, I already have the GBA version). I remember the DSiWare version having some feature that it made it radically different to the DS version it was based on.

Bought it for my girlfriend the other day. She LOOOVES this. I think it's great too, but i don't have time to play that many games anymore so i choose tom play other games, but i will try this one on a holiday or something.

Top Bottom