• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2 |OT| Wallet Warriors Welcome

Drayco21

3bcTynK.png

Developer: Playdom
Publisher: Marvel Games
Global Release Date: March 31st 2016

Avengers Alliance 2 is the sequel to the hit browser/Facebook RPG from 2012, Avengers Alliance, released exclusively for iOS and android mobile devices. Years following the initial event that lead to ISO-8 being scattered across the Marvel Universe and the numerous plots spinning out of the event as seen in the first game, the player must once again assemble a team of Avengers, Guardians, Defenders, Asgardians, and other street level heroes of distinct legal difference from ones that Fox might have a stake in the success of.

Like the first game, Avengers Alliance 2 is a turn-based, team-building RPG. Players gather crystals that unlock new characters and slowly upgrade them over time to create an optimal team to compete in single player story missions and PVP tournament battles. While the first game was sprite based, and one of your three team slots was taken by your player avatar, AA2 now features full polygonal models, and your character is replaced by a third hero. Another major change is that costumes are no longer just add-ons for characters; each costume is a character all its own, and can be placed on the team separate from other forms of the character. Thus, a full team of three Spider-Men or Iron Men is fully viable.

Features
  • Assemble the ultimate team to defeat notorious Super Villains
  • Strategize and defeat evil forces in epic 3-on-3 combat
  • Level-up and customize Super Heroes
  • Collect and equip unique abilities for each Super Hero
  • Take on dozens of replayable missions
  • Win bonus rewards for completing Daily Operations
  • Get powerful rewards in PVP tournaments
  • Team up with friends’ Super Heroes to conquer missions

Characters

Blasters:
Blasters are typically ranged characters that focus on dealing extremely high damage numbers. They deal additional damage to enemies and characters from the Bruiser class.

• Electro (Classic)
  • Hank Pym (Yellowjacket)
  • Hawkeye (Marvel Now!)
  • Hawkeye (Age of Ultron)
  • Iron Man (Bleeding Edge)
  • Iron Man (Age of Ultron)
  • Nova (Sam Alexander)
  • Rocket Raccoon (Cinematic)
  • War Machine (Modern)
  • Winter Soldier (Civil War)

Tacticians:
Tacticians are ideal leaders and strategists; they use their knowledge of the battlefield to buff allies, debuff foes, and take advantage of tactical weaknesses. They deal extra damage to enemies and characters from the Blaster class.

• Agent 13 (Civil War)
  • Black Widow (Age of Ultron)
  • Captain America (Marvel Now!)
  • Captain Marvel (Marvel Now!)
  • Heimdall (Cinematic)
  • Iron Man (Civil War)
  • MODOK (Modern)
  • Spider-Woman (Classic)
  • Star-Lord (Cinematic)
  • Wasp (Modern)

Scrappers:
Scrappers are all about getting into the thick of things and fighting with martial arts skill and raw brutality. They deal extra damage to enemies and characters from the Infiltrator class.

• Angela (Modern)
  • Drax the Destroyer (Cinematic)
  • Falcon (Civil War)
  • Iron Fist (Marvel Now!)
  • Nebula (Cinematic)
  • Spider-Man (Classic )
  • Thor (Marvel Now!)
  • Thor (Age of Ultron)

Bruisers:
Bruisers are the muscle of the Alliance; they're big, usually kinda slow, and hit like a truck. They deal extra damage to enemies and characters of the Scrapper class.

• Captain America (Age of Ultron)
  • Captain America (Civil War)
  • Groot (Cinematic)
  • Hulk (Marvel Now!)
  • Hulk (Age of Ultron)
  • Luke Cage (Modern)
  • Moon Knight (Marvel Now!)
  • She-Hulk (Classic)

Infiltrators:
The sneaky members of the Alliance, Infiltrators are ideal for striking from the shadows and dealing high damage surgical strikes. They deal additional damage to enemies and characters of the Tactician class.

• Ant-Man (Cinematic)
  • Black Panther (Modern)
  • Black Widow (Modern)
  • Daredevil (Marvel Now!)
  • Gamora (Cinematic)
  • Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
  • Vision (Marvel Now!)
  • Vision (Age of Ultron)

Generalist:
The final class of character is the Master of None; the Generalist. They don't deal special damage to anyone, but aren't especially vulnerable to anyone either. At launch, none of the playable characters are members of this class.

Announced Forthcoming Characters:
  • Black Panther (Civil War)
  • Mister Hyde (Classic)
  • Thor (Jane Foster)
  • Valkyrie (Marvel Now!)
  • Lady Sif (Marvel Now!)

FAQ

Q.) So is Avengers Alliance...over?

A.) Nope! AA1 is continuing as usual. This is a separate project, for a separate audience, with a separate story. Playdom is going to be working on and updating both from here on.

Q.) I have most of these characters on the first game, do I get them now?

A.) No, your progress does not carry over. This is a new experience.

Q.) Dare I ask? X-

A.) You know the answer to this already, c'mon now.

Q.) How are the microtransactions?

A.) According to the early players from pre-release, it's not Future Fight-generous, but it's not quite Contest of Champions-gross either. The crystal unlock methods are a little too similar to CoC for my tastes, but it's hard to judge right this second.

Reviews
TouchArcade- 4/5

At least at the moment, Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2 is a player-friendly free-to-play game with a well-designed battle system and satisfying party-building choices. I sincerely hope it stays that way, and I would like to see the developer address things like crashing issues and balancing out some of the more overpowered characters. Although it cut a couple of things from the original game that I liked, I feel like this is a considerably better game all-around. It's worth checking out, but I'd get in on it quickly if you're interested, because it could easily end up going down the same road as the original game.

Gamezebo- 4/5

Positives:
Straightforward tactical gameplay with a ton of Marvel characters.
Customizable abilities add intriguing depth.
Visuals and audio a big step up from its predecessor.

Negatives:
Doesn't take many chances on the existing formula.
Random hero acquisition could prove a frustration for those hunting their favorites.

PocketGamer- 8/10

That sounds okay

It does. In fact I think it might be better than okay. I've put a good chunk of time into Marvel Avengers Alliance 2 and I've yet to get bored of it. There's always plenty to do, and the game rewards you with plenty of cash and energy. It might not be the most tactically minded game out there, but there's enough going on that it acts as a pretty impressive diversion. And you get to be Rocket Raccoon some of the time, and he's a raccoon with a massive gun.

It's All Connected:

Ashby

Might try this now that I know it's turn-based. I didn't take to Future Fight because of the real-time combat, didn't feel visceral at all.

curb

Banned
I've been messing around with this for a month or so (I guess Canada had it early?) and I'm finding it to be solid but maybe not overly remarkable. I find the loading times bad even within the menus but my biggest problem isn't really isolated to just this game.

I'm really getting tired of the random character unlock scheme these games have. Let me buy Captain Marvel and don't charge me an arm and a leg. If I have a character I really like I'll play it more and be more likely to spend extra funds on it in the long term. As it stands, I'm not going to play it with any seriousness until I have a character I care about. I get the business behind it but they're not getting any money out of me any time soon at this rate.

Drayco21

I've been messing around with this for a month or so (I guess Canada had it early?) and I'm finding it to be solid but maybe not overly remarkable. I find the loading times bad even within the menus but my biggest problem isn't really isolated to just this game.

I'm really getting tired of the random character unlock scheme these games have. Let me buy Captain Marvel and don't charge me an arm and a leg. If I have a character I really like I'll play it more and be more likely to spend extra funds on it in the long term. As it stands, I'm not going to play it with any seriousness until I have a character I care about. I get the business behind it but they're not getting any money out of me any time soon at this rate.

I'm with you for sure on that; at the very least, let me grind for specific characters I want ala Future Fight. I'm sure the random lottery style prints money though, based on how much people spend on Contest of Champions.

curb

Banned
I'm with you for sure on that; at the very least, let me grind for specific characters I want ala Future Fight. I'm sure the random lottery style prints money though, based on how much people spend on Contest of Champions.

Yeah, Future Fight isn't too bad for it ]as long as it's not the Carol Corps costume. Gotta get them whales.

The loading times in this game are driving me crazy. It makes me not want to do anything menu-related. And it doesn't help that the UI is so ugly.

curb

Banned
The loading times in this game are driving me crazy. It makes me not want to do anything menu-related. And it doesn't help that the UI is so ugly.

The menus are pretty bad. A full loading screen for moving between tabs on the same menue is pretty rough.

Here's my ally code if anyone wants to add me. I only have Moon Knight and Luke Cage so far.

575-463-931

Will be going to bed soon, but if you send me an invite, I'll accept in the morning.

Drayco21

My code is 911-548-009

Currently hit the leveling bottleneck for Hawkeye, Vision and Gamora. Have an Age of Ultron Hulk, Age of Ultron Iron Man and a Drax in reserve.

Carcetti

The MCU-verse instead of comics-verse makes this an automatic miss for me. Loved the crazy roster in the first one, and it was a good time-waster. Shame.

Drayco21

Shocking news: There's a Civil War update coming

MAA2_Civil-War-1200x675.png

Falcon and Sharon, plus new versions of Cap, Iron Man, War Machine and Black Panther.

Im enjoying this game. I loved the Playdom one and almost had all the characters. The only problem I have is the constant loading in the menus.

Dalek

I'm really enjoying this game-it has a surprising amount of depth. I'm really addicted to getting more heroes and leveling them-more so than Conquest of Champions.

I just picked Hulk as my free Avenger for logging in for 7 days.

Dalek

is anyone playing the Spec Ops missions for the Civil War story? I'm getting creamed and I'm wondering if my characters are too low leveled.

Yeah that was pretty hard for me to go through at first, but I managed to pull through and complete Captain America's path to unlock Falcon. I wonder if I have to wait for the event to end for me to be given a key, in order for me to unlock Iron Man's path. I very much used 2 heroes that were over level 20 and the rest I used were under that.

Also, not certain if this is the right place to leave one, but I have a code for a free Guardians of the Galaxy hero for anyone that plays it on a mobile device that has an Android device.

First come, first serve!

5LQ6BFJLWCND2MMQ6FQXV1T

Dalek

Is there a reason why the Scouting mission timer barely refills? I wore it down to zero yesterday, and I still only had enough today to do one mission. Seems really shitty to me.

Drayco21

Cap's anniversary is bringing new Cap variants to each Marvel game:

Marvel Avengers Alliance 2 (Mobile Game): Captain America 1901 - Jeremiah Rogers, known as Captain America 1901, is America's first defender of freedom from an alternate timeline who rode with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders during the Spanish-American War. Armed with his iconic, extending shield, and Iso-8 powered armor he has become a symbol of American freedom, capable of safeguarding those who fight by his side.

aett

I just started this game the other day and it seems pretty good - it doesn't hurt that I got two (supposedly) great characters on my third re-roll - and I'm surprised this thread is so dead. Anyone still playing, or does the game lose its luster really quick?

mrjohill

I just started this game the other day and it seems pretty good - it doesn't hurt that I got two (supposedly) great characters on my third re-roll - and I'm surprised this thread is so dead. Anyone still playing, or does the game lose its luster really quick?

The devs don't update it enough

Dalek

I still play it-when Marvel Puzzle Quest isn't monopolizing my time. My best advice is to focus on leveling up Wasp and her Queen Bee skill.

Top Bottom