• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection | Review Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
gKoxoYA.png

Game Information

Game Title: Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 12, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 12, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 12, 2024)
  • PC (Sep 12, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Capcom

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 86 average - 92% recommended

gVfJebc.png

Metacritic - 86 average based on 19 Critic Reviews

x5kqRpr.png

Critic Reviews

8Bit/Digi - Stan Rezaee - 10 / 10
The Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection is a reminder of why the '90s is looked back upon as a golden era for both Marvel and Capcom.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 90 / 100
If you're an arcade fan or have even the slightest interest in the subject, I'd say don't pass up the chance to get a copy, either digitally or wait for the physical release. It's not every day that these kinds of gems come around, so it's important to preserve them before the license expires again.

Bazimag - Hamidreza Ghaneei - Persian - 8 / 10
Overall, Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classic brings a pleasant experience of these old titles to fans of the series, which is mostly designed for multiplayer players. If you're looking to pick up this collection just to experience the single-player, you may be somewhat disappointed.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 9 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection collects seven arcade-accurate ROMs in one comprehensive collection.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 80 / 100
Marvel Vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics includes some of the best fighters in the genre and is a must-have for enthusiasts. Packed with a range of features such as the ability to alter display filters, online options, training modes, and even a music player, the game is comprehensive. Although I would have liked to see a museum-style mode with interviews and commentary on the game’s creation, the quality-of-life improvements and rich selection of fighters make this a standout collection.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10
Capcom has gone above and beyond with this compilation. It’s a must-have for any Marvel or fighting game fan.

Console Creatures - Recommended
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics delivers an incredible experience. It's easily one of the best collections for fighting game fans.

Game Rant - Liam Ferguson - 4 / 5
Although its framework is similar to Capcom's last fighting bundle, Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection's contents shine too brightly to care.

GameBlast - Carlos França Júnior - Portuguese - 9.5 / 10
Even with fewer games than the previous collection, we must recognize that MARVEL vs. CAPCOM Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics contains six titles that have a huge impact on the history of fighting games. The aura they exude from the first play is absurd, to the point of giving goosebumps to the most ardent fan. It's something that other more current names in the genre seem to have lost; that mix of charm and dynamism that ends up leading whoever is in control to always play just one more game after the "last one". If you've never played any of these gems, now is the time. If you were already a fan, feel blessed with the best collection of fighting games currently available.

Gamefa - Arman Zarmehr - Persian - 8.9 / 10
It can be said that while Marvel vs. Capcom Collection may seem like just a collection of classic fighting games on the surface, but it actually much more than a simple collection. We're treated to a rich collection of Capcom's classic fighting masterpieces, some of which haven't been officially available for decades. This collection not only gathers all these works together, but by making targeted changes and very effective improvements, it turns the experience of each of these works into the best experiences that each of them has offered to date.

Gameliner - Delano Seliman - Dutch - 3.5 / 5
"The MARVEL vs. CAPCOM Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics feels like a love letter to longtime fans, with nostalgic music, sound effects, and retro graphics reminiscent of the '90s. Thanks to the Switch, these classic games can now be played anywhere, although the screen's sidebars could have been omitted. The gameplay is fast and accessible, perfect for newcomers, while offering enough depth for experienced players to master combos and counters. However, the price tag of fifty euros may feel steep, especially for new players, considering the games appear somewhat dated and similar to each other."

Glitched Africa - Sam Aberdeen - 8.5 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection Arcade Classics is a blast of nostalgia wrapped in a premium package with thoughtful quality-of-life improvements and consideration for preserving the legacy of some excellent fighters of a bygone era, though slightly dated mechanics might not cater to everyone.

God is a Geek - Sean Smith - 10 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is a beautifully curated selection of some of the best one-on-one combat games ever created.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 5 / 5
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is as stellar as it gets when it comes to classic rereleases. Not only are these some of the best fighting games out there, but they’ve been revived with such excellence that it’s worth applauding. I hope this leads to more Marvel vs. Capcom games, as this collection serves as the perfect reminder that there’s no crossover quite like it.

Nexus Hub - Ryan Pretorius - 9 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fight Collection Arcade Classics provides easy access to some of the most beloved crossover arcade titles in history, packed with quality-of-life improvements and a wealth of content.

Nintendo Life - Tom Massey - 9 / 10
There is a decade of gaming evolution here, including what is arguably the pinnacle of Capcom's fighting game craft. Perfectly preserved and presented, everything is beautifully formed and wonderful to play. Assembled with real clarity in regards to fan expectation, Capcom has thoroughly delivered the goods, from its ton of bonus features to its rollback netcode, with years' worth of combative nuance to explore, learn, and exact in the online arena. Oh, and The Punisher is awesome, too.

PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is the collection that fans have been waiting for for years. In addition to bringing back Marvel vs. Capcom 2, we also have titles that have been forgotten for a long time, such as X-Men vs. Street Fighter. It's a must-have title for any fighting game enthusiast.

Press Start - James Berich - 9 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is easily the best and most robust collection of classic Capcom fighters so far. While the lack of crossplay is still a disappointment carrying over from Capcom Fighting Collection, everything else about this collection shines bright. It is a truly exhaustive compilation that celebrates so much no matter how much you're into Capcom, Marvel or both.

Push Square - Scott McCrae - 8 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is an essential release if you're after one of the most prolific parts of fighting game history. The museum mode is a treat, and the games themselves seem to be arcade-perfect conversions, apart from MvC 1 (which should hopefully be fixed in a patch given it's fine in the PC release). While some bonus features from the console versions of these games would've been nice, it's still undeniably a great collection of titles.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10
A comprehensive collection (at least until MvsC2) with enough improvements and quality-of-life elements to make this by default the best way to play these games.

Spaziogames - Silvio Mazzitelli - Italian - 8.6 / 10
Capcom is doing a great job with its Collections dedicated to fighting games of the past and this Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is another jewel that collects seven titles that have made the history of the genre.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 9 / 10
This will make waves purely for being the most feature-rich and accessible way to play Marvel VS Capcom 2 that the fighting game community has. At the same time, Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is also packed with the games that led to that defining moment, and loads of impressive art-gallery content for each of them makes this ride so much sweeter.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8 / 10
The MARVEL vs. CAPCOM Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is a fantastic celebration of the series, showcasing some of the best fighting games released by the Japanese publisher in the late '90s and early 2000s. Although the lack of cross-platform play reduces the collection's appeal, the additional options and extras are welcome enhancements that make playing these timeless classics on modern hardware even more enticing, especially on consoles.

Zoomg - Afshin Piroozi - Persian - 8 / 10
Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics is a special work created for a specific group of gamers—those who have nostalgic memories of the games in this series and are now seeking to relive those experiences with new features, such as online play. So, if you belong to this group, you’ll derive great enjoyment from playing Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection, and you’ll find yourself immersed in its experience for hours.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve been looking forward to this for a while. MvC2 is one of my favorites, and it’s a pain in the ass to play these days.

I haven’t looked through the details yet, but does this have cross-platform play? And if so, how’s the netcode for the Switch version? This would be a great game to take with me.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I had a lot of fun with children of the atom on the Saturn back in the day. I'm looking forward to playing these again.

Doubt any of these reviewers care but any mention about input lag on the Switch version? Good? Bad?
Nobody ever talks about it but the Switch Pro Controller inherently has more input lag than the Dualsense and Xbox controllers because it has a much lower polling rate over Bluetooth. This is why the Switch Pro Controller gets much better battery life than the others but there is a cost

Porcile

Nobody ever talks about it but the Switch Pro Controller inherently has more input lag than the Dualsense and Xbox controllers because it has a much lower polling rate over Bluetooth. This is why the Switch Pro Controller gets much better battery life than the others but there is a cost

Switch just has more lag overall undocked and docked inherently. There's a few videos about it. ShmupJunkie and Electric Underground on YouTube have done multiple lag tests. Joycons are least laggy, Pro Controller over Bluetooth has less lag than Pro Controller wired due to the USB interface it is assumed. But then some controllers perform better wired rather than wireless. It's not always a big deal but if the input lag is four frames or whatever on Xbox or Playstation then you are looking at 5 frames with Joycons or 6+ depending on your controller on Switch.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Will pick this up on payday this Friday.

I've been wanting to play MvC2 foreeeever.

MMaRsu

But no crossplay.. That is the only reason I wouldnt buy it. Cant play with my console friends at all, while I'm on PC.

A game like this SHOULD support crossplay so the online doesnt die out.

Fuck man. I love MvC2 but I dont know if Ill play online much if not against my friends

I’ll get both digital and physical versions on PS4. It’ll be the first time ever that I buy PS Plus. I was gonna get it on PC but fuck Steam.

I played the PS3 version for years and recently the Fightcade one with a wifi connection, so I’m ready.

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
I heard that they are charging $50 for this. I don't think it's worth that much considering you can get all of these games for "free" by other means and you can even play them online with some really strong players that have been playing these games for a while.

kunonabi

I heard that they are charging $50 for this. I don't think it's worth that much considering you can get all of these games for "free" by other means and you can even play them online with some really strong players that have been playing these games for a while.
Had they not altered anything and used the proper version of XvsSF I would have bought it at that price despite owning everything, sans punisher, since I find playing games on fightcade to be a chore.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
So does this have the truly definitive version of MvC2? Were there any significant advantages for the 360/PS3 versions?

RaduN

So it's just emulation, nothing more.

Do they at least have some nice sprite smoothing/crt effects options?

Retroarch has been doing great justice to these games with its amazing shaders for many years now.

GinSama

Why Capcom keep (they are doing the same thing with dead rising rising) releasing first the digital and after one month they release the physical?? I just want to busy the physical game for day one, is that too much to ask??

Gambit2483

These staggered digital and physical releases are absolutely done on purpose. They want people to double dip with the impulse buy of digital and the fomo of the physical.

It sucks for us consumers but its a good way to maximize sales

Futaleufu

Why Capcom keep (they are doing the same thing with dead rising rising) releasing first the digital and after one month they release the physical?? I just want to busy the physical game for day one, is that too much to ask??
Most likely the physical editions are being outsourced

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really wish these collections had everything. Like, why not bundle in the DC version of MVC2? Or the crappy PSX version of MVC? Just feels like a missed opportunity.

Gambit2483

I really wish these collections had everything. Like, why not bundle in the DC version of MVC2? Or the crappy PSX version of MVC? Just feels like a missed opportunity.
As long as there's no missing content or cut features then I don't mind them using the arcade versions.

Like if Dreamcast had an exclusive character/stage then yes they should definitely use that version. Otherwise it's no big deal for me

Krathoon

Gold Member
These seem to be straight arcade ports.

I think the Japanese version of Marvel vs. Capcom had some weird Japanese character that is not in the US version.

Dzab

Apparently the Juggernaut tag-out glitch in MvC2 is patched out, as well as the Gambit game crashing one

MMaRsu

Still no key from cdkeys... Oh well.. stuck at work now anyway for the next 8 hours :<

-Edit-

Got my key

Last edited:

demigod

Disappointed in the Steam version. Display settings in the menu will not save. Not sure why but there's a ton of scanlines in Marvel vs Capcom. Tried both 4k and 1080p versions.

Edit : n/m on the scanlines, the default filter added it, had to turn it off.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The Punisher arcade game is such a cool addition. Wish they added X-Men as well though.

As it is this collection is pretty fuckin awesome and I dont even play fighters. Very nostalgic.

thatJohann

Played on Switch for a bit. Not sure if it's just me being rusty since it's been so many years since i played this but finding it kinda laggy even navigating the menus when pausing the game like it's chugging a bit, maybe it's placebo dunno.

Top Bottom