• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection | Review Thread

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just played today and I really dig this collection. Tried a little of each game except punisher so far. Spent a lot of time with mvc2 training mode.

I think I like the game before mvc1 the most? Marvel super heroes vs street fighter? Wolverine and cyclops feel fun.

Mvc1 is cool too with the random assist feature.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
It seems that the European switch version will the code in a box...
Pathetic...
Yeah... in Europe the Switch version will be a code in a box while the PS4 version will be a disc.

The NA & JP release for the Switch is unaffected by this though, so everyone buying the game in these two regions will receive MvC Fighting Collection on the cartridge.

Gambit2483

Yeah... in Europe the Switch version will be a code in a box while the PS4 version will be a disc.

The NA & JP release for the Switch is unaffected by this though, so everyone buying the game in these two regions will receive MvC Fighting Collection on the cartridge.

This kind of crap should be illegal. Releasing a "physical" version of a videogame should come with physical medium. Period.

I hope Europe threatens to boycott and roasts Capcom into back tracking. It's only a 3GB game..!!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A code in the box? That’s crap. People waited years for this collection, just to get a piece of paper with a code. I wonder about CAPCOM sometimes. They were so great in the 90’s and early 00’s.

Impotaku

Absolute joke, crapcom cant manage a physical for Europe but tiny indies can release physical of budget games. Then they act all surprised when their releases sell like shit in the regions they pull this crap in. Thankfully japan is my primary purchasing region and the yen is delightfully weak at the moment so it’s an easy buy just to grab the jpn version.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
This kind of crap should be illegal. Releasing a "physical" version of a videogame should come with physical medium. Period.

I hope Europe threatens to boycott and roasts Capcom into back tracking. It's only a 3GB game..!!
As a European, most of my smaller Capcom physical releases for the Switch are either ESRB or CERO imports. But yeah, the Capcom branch handling physical game distribution here in Europe (and I guess all of the EMEA) is dumb as rocks, and I expect this to keep happening in the future sadly.

It seems that the European switch version will the code in a box...
Pathetic...
Such a shame since this is exactly the kind of game that needs a physical copy. The Marvel series has a history of being delisted and going OOP. Going with a digital-only release for this game in particular is such a huge slap in the face.

Arsic

If you need the physical then get the Japanese version. I believe you can just change from Japanese or English end game for all of the games, because you can do that with the English version.

Karuyag

Mvc2 has weird audio. I dont understand why ports outside of DC version can never get the audio right.

By weird, I mean some audio are sampled weird (low, listen to psylocke and strider vs other chars) or there are some artefact sounds (maybe cuz of rollback). One weird sound is the 'finish' audio on a KO (you know, after you beat all 3 chars, it's not supposed to happen), or sentinel saying his "unit destroyed" line on hit when it should only happen after he's killed.

Last edited:

RaduN

Mvc2 has weird audio. I dont understand why ports outside of DC version can never get the audio right.

Bad emulation.

Theae are not ports, just roms. They probably use some in-house emulator which is much worse than the likes of Flycast/Fbneo, where the games run flawlessy.

SkylineRKR

Yeah 50 is steep, but I caved anyway. The nostalgia is big here. I thought about my Saturn and DC when firing up these games. Its every bit as good as I remember, didn't try MvC2 yet though.

MvsSF had the best OST and I liked the announcer calling out the super finishers. XvsSF is GOATed and MvC1 is just excellent.

And yeah, they will get delisted. However, it should stay active in your library.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This collection fantastic
Can't wait for the next collection to have capcom vs snk 1&2 as well

These will absolutely get delisted once the license runs out so definitely buy

Last edited:
I will be holding out for a physical copy and most likely will buy 2 of them. One for play, one for collection.

If I recall correctly, the original Xbox and PS2 versions of MvC2 were exceedingly rare even years ago. I'd assume that hasn't changed and this probably won't be in print long, either.

Arsic

Honestly? I don't think he's racist if that is what you implying, he has black friends from what i've know.
Lmao. The old “I have black friends” therefore I can’t be racist.

Classic.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJX

Stu_Hart

Neo Member

By weird, I mean some audio are sampled weird (low, listen to psylocke and strider vs other chars) or there are some artefact sounds (maybe cuz of rollback). One weird sound is the 'finish' audio on a KO (you know, after you beat all 3 chars, it's not supposed to happen), or sentinel saying his "unit destroyed" line on hit when it should only happen after he's killed.
I agree that for MvC2, the audio seems off. In the final boss stage, when abyss 3rd form comes out, the audio seems low and muffled. I went back and played the emulated DC version just to see the differences, and it sounded so crisp and loud. There has never been an accurate sounding MvC2 port outside of the DC version. I remember that justin wong feedback that there are audio bugs when he played the game a few months back at evo, and they never did anything to fix it. Even the ps3/360 versions had audio issues and other weird graphical bugs. The other marvel games in the collection seem fine though, at least from what I remember.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Children of the Atom is way harder then I remember lol wow, magneto is an asshole

This was always the hardest game for me, they block nearly everything. MSH arcade is very hard too, while the Saturn port AI was probably broken as even on the highest setting they would eat every attack. This was a strange port in general, even X-Men was solid on Saturn as their first port and no RAM cart support. MSH on Saturn was near unplayable gutter trash.

Needlecrash

Spent some time with the game on PC. Overall, this port is SOLID AS FUCK. There are some tweaks that NEED to be made in the Nvidia Control Panel/AMD and the game's config.ini file too; such as enabling Stereo sound, changing the resolution, frame rate, Anti-Aliasing stuff, etc.

Games are SUPER responsive and the online play has been great honestly. No drops. Matchmaking takes a while on PC though and Capcom is already looking into fixing it. There is 0 cross play, sadly though. I wish this would added to be honest. It would increase the player base too with the amount of people that's playing it.

For what you pay for this collection, it's an ABSOLUTE STEAL. And, there are Characters/Music mods that's out for PC players for MvC2; just like the Dreamcast days. To buy these games alone on the best home platform release??? It's gonna cost ya...
  • MVC2 - $100 disc only for Dreamcast. $105 for PS2 (not a good port)
  • MVC1 - $49 disc only for Dreamcast.
  • Marvel Super Heroes - $69 on Sega Saturn.
  • X-Men vs. Street Fighter - $21 on Sega Saturn.
  • Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - $76 w/ RAM Cart on Sega Saturn.
  • The Punisher - $112 on Sega Genesis (only port available)
  • X-Men: Children of the Atom - $39 on Sega Saturn.
To get all these games individually together? That's $466 bucks.

I know that some people are kinda put off by the collection. Understand that licensing with Marvel for these games has always been a fucking NIGHTMARE. Especially with Spider-Man/Venom too since they're co-owned by Sony - EDIT - it's only the film rights but not the property. MY BAD.

I'm overall happy I bought it. I'll be getting the physical versions myself. I might triple dip because I am trying to play this on the Switch RIGHT NOW lol. For my EU people, you're better off importing the Switch version of the game from Play-Asia so you can get an actual physical copy, none of this "Code in the box" bullshit.

Last edited:
Spent some time with the game on PC. Overall, this port is SOLID AS FUCK. There are some tweaks that NEED to be made in the Nvidia Control Panel/AMD and the game's config.ini file too; such as enabling Stereo sound, changing the resolution, frame rate, Anti-Aliasing stuff, etc.

Games are SUPER responsive and the online play has been great honestly. No drops. Matchmaking takes a while on PC though and Capcom is already looking into fixing it. There is 0 cross play, sadly though. I wish this would added to be honest. It would increase the player base too with the amount of people that's playing it.

For what you pay for this collection, it's an ABSOLUTE STEAL. And, there are Characters/Music mods that's out for PC players for MvC2; just like the Dreamcast days. To buy these games alone on the best home platform release??? It's gonna cost ya...
  • MVC2 - $100 disc only for Dreamcast. $105 for PS2 (not a good port)
  • MVC1 - $49 disc only for Dreamcast.
  • Marvel Super Heroes - $69 on Sega Saturn.
  • X-Men vs. Street Fighter - $21 on Sega Saturn.
  • Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - $76 w/ RAM Cart on Sega Saturn.
  • The Punisher - $112 on Sega Genesis (only port available)
  • X-Men: Children of the Atom - $39 on Sega Saturn.
To get all these games individually together? That's $466 bucks.

I know that some people are kinda put off by the collection. Understand that licensing with Marvel for these games has always been a fucking NIGHTMARE. Especially with Spider-Man/Venom too since they're co-owned by Sony.

I'm overall happy I bought it. I'll be getting the physical versions myself. I might triple dip because I am trying to play this on the Switch RIGHT NOW lol. For my EU people, you're better off importing the Switch version of the game from Play-Asia so you can get an actual physical copy, none of this "Code in the box" bullshit.
Spider-man and Venom are not co-owned by Sony in any way. Sony only owns the film rights in perpetuity.

SkylineRKR

True and they are worse on Saturn too.

I mean, COTA was a great port considering it offered no expansion support. But its still worse than the collection version which is arcade perfect. MSH, unplayable on Saturn. XvsSF and MvsSF were ofcourse amazing on saturn, but still suffers from transparency issues and some slight slowdown during super moves. Its a tad worse than the arcade. MvC1 on Dreamcast I think looked a bit more pixelated on DC due to its higher resolution. MvC2 might be better on DC still, from what I read about sound quality.

Plus, this collection has online play, training modes, galleries etc.

Top Bottom