• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maryam Mirzakhani wins Fields Medal, first woman to earn highest mathematics honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakho

On a related note, Artur Avila has also been the FIRST South American to receive the award, and even more incredibly, the first one to have done all its education outside of Europe and North America.

Riemann surfaces are just a way of visualizing the "multi-valuedness" of complex functions. For example, if z is a complex number, it can be represented in polar coordinates as some radius and some angle from the complex plane. After one complete revolution (360 degrees) you'd expect to get the same result from a function because you should be plugging back in the same point, but that turns out not to be the case, e.g. f(z) = z^(1/2) takes two revolutions to "loop around".

is the simplest I can put it

Congrats to Maryam! Really a fantastic achievement :)

On a related note, Artur Avila has also been the FIRST South American to receive the award, and even more incredibly, the first one to have done all its education outside of Europe and North America.

What makes me sad is that, when reading the link, I was expecting them to at least give a small note to the fact that he's a brazilian born researcher working in BOTH France and Brazil. Not cool really.

terrisus

I'd posted these images in another thread yesterday, but they work in this thread too:

ORgEr6Y.jpg

gMVbzCG.gif

Math!

Welcome to the real world where women can cut their hair short and choose not to wear make-up. I mean...I can't see her as anything but a woman.

Yeah. If anything, she has very attractive features and her androgyny seems to be purely her choice. She could doll herself very easily to appeal to men but obviously that's not her priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom