• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

rozay

Banned
Out of nowhere with a spectre pack, I unlock an N7 Paladin. Any like it better than the Carnifex?
I feel like the carnifex is a more versatile weapon overall at higher levels but a bullet from a Paladin I does more damage than a bullet from a Carnifex X. Ammo can be an issue.

Fuck the unlock system

Got a Javelin but the damn thing weighs as much as 2 Claymore's

The rare system is fucking wack. Taking the Javelin as an example, here I finally get an ultra rare and the thing is gimped by its ridiculous weight and low ammo capacity. Then, to make it viable I have to get it another 9 times when it took close to a month for it to show up once.

Guns should level through use, not by scratching lottery tickets.

The MP is fun, but my god BW fucked up a progression system when they're known for making RPGs. I find that kind of amusing.

Infuriating but amusing.

The Krogan Battlemaster is amazing. One shotting (or hitting?) anything normal on Gold feels good.

Any tips or preferences as to what shotgun to use between the GPS and the Claymore?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Krogan Battlemaster is amazing. One shotting (or hitting?) anything normal on Gold feels good.

Any tips or preferences as to what shotgun to use between the GPS and the Claymore?

I can't even kill a monster in one hit in silver unless its something weak like a Nemesis. Even with the shotgun mod for extra melee damage and the biotic charge skill that improve melee damage for 4 secs... But maybethat's because in the Fitness tree, i took everything for more defense because people said the Rage is broken on them, unless it was ninja fixed?

I can't even kill a monster in one hit in silver unless its something weak like a Nemesis. Even with the shotgun mod for extra melee damage and the biotic charge skill that improve melee damage for 4 secs... But maybethat's because in the Fitness tree, i took everything for more defense because people said the Rage is broken on them, unless it was ninja fixed?

Rage seems to work fine...

sophora

Out of nowhere with a spectre pack, I unlock an N7 Paladin. Any like it better than the Carnifex?

Just my personal taste, but I like the Carnifex 6 shot magazine than the Paladin's 3 shot. Might be more damage but I can't spend time reloading in the middle of a firefight.

Commodore

Just my personal taste, but I like the Carnifex 6 shot magazine than the Paladin's 3 shot. Might be more damage but I can't spend time reloading in the middle of a firefight.

Ahh, that right there might be the deal breaker. Higher damage, but weightier than the Carnifex. But 3 show mag? The whole reason, at least in my opinion, to use the Carnifex is augment a more power centric class with a quick highish damage gun, usually to finish off something in between power recharges. I'll give it a shot after work tonight to see if it can compete.

Commodore

Fuck the unlock system

Got a Javelin but the damn thing weighs as much as 2 Claymore's

The rare system is fucking wack. Taking the Javelin as an example, here I finally get an ultra rare and the thing is gimped by its ridiculous weight and low ammo capacity. Then, to make it viable I have to get it another 9 times when it took close to a month for it to show up once.

Guns should level through use, not by scratching lottery tickets.

The MP is fun, but my god BW fucked up a progression system when they're known for making RPGs. I find that kind of amusing.

Infuriating but amusing.

And this is my favorite comment on this page in the citadel. Level through use would work far better.

Dreamer RD

Retarded high ranked players continue to surprise me. A dude with 1590 rating joined, Salarian Engineer lvl 16 + Paladin V = ok I think... Then he camps in the far off corner of FB White (behind farming rooms) and starts worthless spamming with pistol and casting fire magic. Later dies at 2 wave and leaving game.

His PSN ID is xKeiKurono. Kick that imbecile without hesitation.

rozay

Banned
Rage seems to work fine...
Animation/visual effect appears but people mentioned you don't get any of the DR or melee boosts you should be getting. The battle master does the same base melee damage as the other two krogan yet they do significantly more damage in rage mode.

Cat Party

Is there a chart anywhere that posts weapon damage per level?

I'm not talking with modifiers or anything like that, just base damage, just so I can understand base damage of each weapon.

Search this thread and you'll find a link to a google docs spreadsheet with all the stats. It only gives the I and X values, though, not everything in between.

EDIT: The Valiant is the best sniper, IMO. The Black Widow does more damage per shot, and has piercing by default, but it shoots a lot more slowly, with more kick. The fact that you can pop off all three rounds in the Valiant quickly with good precision outweighs the extra damage features to me. I think people who are ace snipers are going to do better with the Black Widow, but for everyone else, the Valiant is the best.

Cat Party

Are there new weapons on the spreadsheet? I have never heard of the N7 Valkyrie, Argus, or Chakram Launcher before.

And shit, those new ARs look impressive.

EDIT: Is the Raider Shotgun also new?

Chocobro

Are there new weapons on the spreadsheet? I have never heard of the N7 Valkyrie, Argus, or Chakram Launcher before.

And shit, those new ARs look impressive.

EDIT: Is the Raider Shotgun also new?

The "new weapons" are SP weapons; that spreadsheet isn't exclusive to MP. I know the Argus Rifle is a pre-order bonus and the Chakram Launcher is from playing the Kingdom of Amalur, rest I have no clue since I still need to start the SP portion of the ME games >_> .

EDIT: I think this spreadsheet is cleaner and easier to look at (at least for me on the Macbook): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArNVjEsDluBFdF84WkZjc2ozQ2VrTUhkcFR2ZWc5bWc&gid=8

Cat Party

The "new weapons" are SP weapons; that spreadsheet isn't exclusive to MP. I know the Argus Rifle is a pre-order bonus and the Chakram Launcher is from playing the Kingdom of Amalur, rest I have no clue since I still need to start the SP portion of the ME games >_> .

EDIT: I think this spreadsheet is cleaner and easier to look at (at least for me on the Macbook): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArNVjEsDluBFdF84WkZjc2ozQ2VrTUhkcFR2ZWc5bWc&gid=8

But weapons don't go up to X in SP. I don't remember seeing them on the same spreadsheet before, so the fact they were added suggests to me these may be the new guns for the expansion.

Bisnic

But weapons don't go up to X in SP. I don't remember seeing them on the same spreadsheet before, so the fact they were added suggests to me these may be the new guns for the expansion.

They can go up to X if you do a 2nd run with the same character that already completed a 1st run.

Chocobro

Don't weapons go up to X in SP on your second playthrough or when playing New Game+? I also recall those weapons on the spreadsheet a while ago.

Edit: beaten

I'll give the valiant a shot but is it better than my widow vii? Or should I stick with the widow

At level 10, the Widow has a DPS of 365, whereas the Valiant (at level 10), has a DPS of 406. I calculated it out for you:

Re-Edited calculations, there are only 9 levels between a level I weapon and level X weapon:

Widow X (1083.8) - Widow I (867) = 216.8 damage difference between levels 1 & 10. Divide that by 9 and you get 24.09 damage increase per level.

So.

Widow I (867) + 7 levels (7 x 24.09) = 1,035.62 damage per shot.

The DPS of the Widow 7 is Damage/Reload speed:

1018.76 damage/2.97 seconds = 348.69 DPS for Widow VII.

For the Valiant 1, the DPS is 349.

So... it's dead even lol. Just don't miss a single shot with that Widow!

Edit: Did some calculating as well - the Valiant I does more DPS than the Black Widow X (323). Ouch. And the Recoil comparison isn't even fair (3 vs 0.137 for Valiant).

Isn't DPS = Damage/(Reload speed + Time to fire all shots)? Might change your calculations a bit.

Sure is. Widow only has 1 round. If it had multiple rounds in the clip (like the Valiant does), the calculation would have been different.

The calculation to get the Valiant DPS is as follows:

(Damage x Magazine size) / ((MagazineSize/(RoF x 60) + Reload Time)

Which then becomes

__(317.2 x 3)____ = 349 DPS
_ 3 __ + 0.137
100/60

Interesting Side, the statistician in me got the best of me. The Paladin II (which I own), does more DPS than the Valiant, and also has a 3 round clip and same rate of fire... Paladin II = 397 DPS. Should I change weapons?

Mindlog

You have to factor in your ability to land those shots. The Valiant comes with a free scope. On the other hand Sniper Rifles get a huge damage penalty if you don't zoom in.

It's going to be a really long time before I choose the Valiant or BW over my Widow X on Gold. With clip size, barrel and reload canceling *my* Widow X laughs at those other rifles. I kill mooks in one shot and bosses melt.

On Silver I can see the Widow's overkill being a small liability. I can kill a Guardian Train faster with other weapons. However, it's not like the Widow lags that far behind and the bigger bosses fall even faster to the Widow.
I don't know what Bronze is anymore.

Man, very little activity here today... :(

So I went through the list and compiled a list of the most usable weapons by DPS ONLY. Here is the list in order of DPS. All weapons are at level X except for the N7 weapons (III is the highest non-exploiting rank).

SMG - Hurricane III (highest available) - 734 DPS
SR - Raptor - 571 DPS
AR - Revenant - 565 DPS
SMG - Hornet - 564 DPS
AR - Mattock - 538 DPS
SG - Wraith - 511 DPS
SMG - Tempest - 486 DPS
PS - Paladin - 483 DPS
SG - Claymore - 470 DPS
SR - Kishock Harpoon - 448 DPS
SR - Javelin - 434 DPS
SG - Geth Plasma Shotty - 425 DPS
PS - Carnifex - 406 DPS
SR - Valiant III (Highest available) - 368 DPS

High usage weapons to note:
Black Widow - 323 DPS
Widow - 365 DPS
Falcon - 181 DPS

I feel DPS doesn't tell the whole story, but it gives a good picture for effective weapons. What do you guys feel of this list of 'effective DPS weapons' is the MOST usable, and with which class?

I personally thought the N7 Valiant with the Geth Infiltrator was amazing. Until I saw the power of the Paladin given the raw stats.

Most of those High DPS guns require you to stay out of cover for long periods of time, which makes them less viable on Gold.

How, with this picture, are you guys using your weapons/classes? Do you keep this in mind?

Mindlog said:
You have to factor in your ability to land those shots. The Valiant comes with a free scope. On the other hand Sniper Rifles get a huge damage penalty if you don't zoom in.

It's going to be a really long time before I choose the Valiant or BW over my Widow X on Gold. With clip size, barrel and reload canceling *my* Widow X laughs at those other rifles. I kill mooks in one shot and bosses melt.

On Silver I can see the Widow's overkill being a small liability. I can kill a Guardian Train faster with other weapons. However, it's not like the Widow lags that far behind and the bigger bosses fall even faster to the Widow.
I don't know what Bronze is anymore.
Yeah, reload canceling is a great way to factor in higher DPS, which is necessary for the Widow (kind of low on the DPS scale).

Stantron

With a Widow, I can land a head shot on a nemesis crouching behind cover with her head exposed, and by the time I'm done reloading she's either found another hiding spot, or I can just body shot her next because she's already on red health bar. But with a Valiant, after you land the first shot, getting the next two to be head shots can be tricky and time wasting if she starts scattering around like a cockroach.

I ignore guns like the Mattock even though I have it leveled up to X because I don't like spamming RT non-stop.

I'll have to give the Hurricane II another spin. I haven't tried it since the patch where they supposedly bumped all SMG specs. Wonder what the best two out of these three mods are for it: Heatsink V, Spare Clip V, Damage Barrel V.

Kenaras

Man, very little activity here today... :(

So I went through the list and compiled a list of the most usable weapons by DPS ONLY. Here is the list in order of DPS. All weapons are at level X except for the N7 weapons (III is the highest non-exploiting rank).

Some of those numbers are substantially different from the DPS calculated by my spreadsheet. For example, 571 DPS would be the value for a Raptor with no refire delay. According to Coalesced.bin, it actually has a minrefiretime of 0.15, which should limit it to 400 RPM instead of the theoretical 550 RPM. You also have the Javelin listed as 434 DPS, which would be the value if you simply divide the damage by the reload duration. Doing this ignores the 0.25 second charge time, and the 0.86 delay between firing and being able to reload caused by the rate of fire.

I think I'm about finished with multiplayer. I certainly put in enough hours to help justify my purchase after the single-player's disappointments pretty well killed the traditional replay value I've associated with the series, but the reality is that the experience is just too thin to be worth sticking with in the long term. With my friends moving on, and Gold runs with moderately competent randoms becoming fairly trivial, there's just not much reason to continue. Probably the only thing I wish I'd accomplished that I haven't is getting my hands on a Black Widow, but with a Claymore X or a Valiant, to eh, infiltrate with, it's not really a reason to keep grinding. I'll likely tune in for the weekend challenges when they pop up, but that'll about do it for me.

That's probably okay, I did get a good few weeks of fun out of it, but I can't help feeling that it could have been much more with better netcode and balance, and more than a single mode of play. Ah well, certainly exceeded my expectations at the initial announcement--it certainly didn't diminish mass effect's single player, which was thoroughly capable of letting me down on it's own terms :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
Falcon isn't about DPS anyway, it is about crowd control. And if you were going to try to calculate DPS you'd have to add in a multiplier factor since you'd be hitting more than one target at once.

Think I'm done too. New World of Tanks patch tonight, including a bunch of new tanks and a couple maps, plus Diablo 3 next week or so and a number of betas, no time left for ME3 Co-op.

Commodore

Played three or four rounds with the Paladin I on Gold tonight. Gun hits surprisingly hard. My last round I popped an armor III mod on and I was hammering primes. It doesn't have a three bullet clip, it's five, but I was still back and forth running to the ammo box constantly. I think I like it a little more than my Carnifex actually. Need to play more with it though.

rozay

Banned
Played three or four rounds with the Paladin I on Gold tonight. Gun hits surprisingly hard. My last round I popped an armor III mod on and I was hammering primes. It doesn't have a three bullet clip, it's five, but I was still back and forth running to the ammo box constantly. I think I like it a little more than my Carnifex actually. Need to play more with it though.
it's 3, using the magazine mod raises it to 4 (the original clip size)

unless you're a wizard

Revenent X tears dudes up. Popped a scope on the sucker and an ammo mod and when I use marksman it's like I have a fully automatic sniper rifle with 100 rounds. I've also found burst fire to work super well.

rozay

Banned
I posted a link to the best build ive seen for a melee infiltrator (credit to godlesspaladin from the BSN for his writeup) a few pages back, I guess nobody tried it :(

Tactical Cloak (5) Damage, Melee Damage
Proximity Mine (6) Radius, Damage Taken, Damage
Hunter Mode (6) Accuracy, Power Damage, Damage
Networked AI (3)
Advanced Hardware (6) Melee damage, Martial Artist, Power Synergy

All you do is cloak, shoot proxy mines and melee. Throw a claymore on and you will beast through any encounter.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I posted a link to the best build ive seen for a melee infiltrator (credit to godlesspaladin from the BSN for his writeup) a few pages back, I guess nobody tried it :(

Tactical Cloak (5) Damage, Melee Damage
Proximity Mine (6) Radius, Damage Taken, Damage
Hunter Mode (6) Accuracy, Power Damage, Damage
Networked AI (3)
Advanced Hardware (6) Melee damage, Martial Artist, Power Synergy

All you do is cloak, shoot proxy mines and melee. Throw a claymore on and you will beast through any encounter.

Its easier to rock that build with the GPS since its a lot lighter. Most things that get hit by a decloack melee will be on the verge of death if not dying and the GPS's speed makes the mop up so much easier.

Bisnic

I really wish charging a gun wouldnt put you out of cover, its annoying and almost makes me want to switch guns.

Until i realize no shotguns is as good as the GPS. :( Heard about the Claymore, but mine is at rank II only and the weight and low ammo clip is not helping.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really wish charging a gun wouldnt put you out of cover, its annoying and almost makes me want to switch guns.

Until i realize no shotguns is as good as the GPS. :( Heard about the Claymore, but mine is at rank II only and the weight and low ammo clip is not helping.
I got a Claymore X. With the Dethfiltrator, I 1 shot Brutes on Gold. Never had a match below 100k with it.

You can snipe with the damn thing... the only flaw to the Claymore is Phantoms. You can't afford to miss.

Top Bottom