• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matthew Vaughn Wanted to Make a Young Wolverine Movie After X-Men: First Class

Link.

Speaking to Uproxx about his new film, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Vaughn revealed what he really would have liked to do with the X-Men universe.

I didn’t want to do Days of Future Past next. I felt that one should be in a trilogy and Days of Future Past should be the finale of that story. I would have done a film in-between where you meet the young Wolverine and a new character, and then in Days of Future Past became the young Wolverine and the old Wolverine and just really blow it out....So that’s what I would have done, but the studio didn’t agree with me on that. And, to be frank, as I said, it’s not my sandbox so I couldn’t do anything about it.

Oddly, this is slightly different than what Vaughn has said in the past. Previously, he said the following:

I thought Days of Future Past should be the next one and be set in the ‘80s. So, when I wrote the treatment, I then wrote Kingsman and got confused about which film I should direct next. The I said to Fox, ‘Let me do Kingsman now, get somebody else in and we’ll do the ‘70s version, recast Wolverine, and then we do Days of Future Past with the new Wolverine and Hugh, and make it the biggest spectacle we’ve ever seen.

Another story is that Vaughn got wind of a project very similar to Kingsman at another studio and wanted to get his movie up and running as soon as possible.

I'm glad this didn't happen. His tone and direction would be a bad fit.

What I would have liked to have seen tho was aronofskys wolverine :(

Oh well. At least we got Logan

Slayven

Like Wolverine: X-Men Origins should have been?

Yes

851775-howlett2.jpg

I don‘t think Vaughn would have managed to make an X-Men movie that makes less sense than DOFP, he definitely found his master in that regard.

I've never really cared about pre-Weapon X Wolverine to be honest. Even though there are a few good stories set in that period. But I would gladly take any comic-book film directed by Vaughn.

Slayven

I've never really cared about pre-Weapon X Wolverine to be honest. Even though there are a few good stories set in that period. But I would gladly take any comic-book film directed by Vaughn.

I think there is a lot of things you can do with that rather large gap. Especially dealing with mutants before Chucky was even born

Ri'Orius

I think there is a lot of things you can do with that rather large gap. Especially dealing with mutants before Chucky was even born

There's a lot of time, but I always find it awkward to do stuff then because it always involves more people learning about mutants earlier than I think makes sense.

Like, Magneto's big set piece in the football stadium in DOFP (right?) drives me nuts because I don't think mutants should be outed until the 90's at the earliest. So having Wolverine unsubtly fucking stuff up in the 1920's is just aggravating to me. I have trouble suspending disbelief that his love interest, villain, sidekick and every minor character he pops claws out for just keeps mum/is never believed/big cover-up/whatever.

Blader

He's not saying he wanted to do a young Wolverine movie, just that it'd be an X-Men movie featuring a young Wolverine + the First Class cast.

There's a lot of time, but I always find it awkward to do stuff then because it always involves more people learning about mutants earlier than I think makes sense.

Like, Magneto's big set piece in the football stadium in DOFP (right?) drives me nuts because I don't think mutants should be outed until the 90's at the earliest. So having Wolverine unsubtly fucking stuff up in the 1920's is just aggravating to me. I have trouble suspending disbelief that his love interest, villain, sidekick and every minor character he pops claws out for just keeps mum/is never believed/big cover-up/whatever.

Why?

I forgot all about Wolverine's Patch adventures. Damn imagine a wolverine heist or thriller.....
I want a movie that's just Logan telling stories or someone doing interviews after his final death.

Sabretooth telling a story of when they fought and being sad he couldn't be the one to finish it.

Kitty telling the story of how she got brainwashed into becoming a ninja and Logan saving her by making her break free from it.

Fury breaking open a bottle of whiskey and telling a top secret story that can't leave the room without details being changed.

Carol recalling a mission she was on with Logan and how they connected while playing poker at a bar while waiting on their contact.

Jubilee creating fireworks much larger than any before for his funeral.

Nightcrawler mentioning the time he asked Logan if he believed in heaven.

Etc.

End it with the final interview ending with Laura opening a package she got as part of Logan's will and putting on a suit.

Post-credits is Scott stopping Sinister from stealing some of Logan's DNA.

He's not saying he wanted to do a young Wolverine movie, just that it'd be an X-Men movie featuring a young Wolverine + the First Class cast.

Well in any case I'm just glad he didn't get onto the next xmen since I really ended up liking dofp. Even with its plotholes and all.

Crossing my fingers that he doesn't get on superman either

Symphonia

Banned
So if First Class was part one, and his plan was to have DoFP be the finale with this unreleased Wolverine Jr as the second part, does that mean Apocalypse would have never existed?

Slayven

Only if they doing some sky vomiting shit ending, which in a wolverine movie they shouldn't. Wolverine have small stories like how he visits a Ogun ever year to cut a piece of his body off.

Top Bottom