• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12

markatisu

JoshuaJSlone said:
I can think of at least 4. :D

point taken :lol

Rolf NB

markatisu said:
The PS3 is dropping back to it's no big game norm of 13-17k while the Wii for the most part has remained at stable sales of 15-20k for a little more then a month

Depending on which tracker you are using, in Famitsu the Wii tied PS3 last week and surpassed it this week. Regardless both trackers show the same stable pattern of Wii sales
And here I was thinking you were sufficiently humbled by four weeks in a row of you predicting "next week it will all be back to normal!" ... and being wrong.

On a general note, yes, significant changes are unlikely. It is far more likely that things stay the way they are. But don't let that make you forget that a significant change was what brought us here in the first place, and with "here" I mean Nintendo utterly dominating this generation in all territories.

donny2112 said:
Here's an interesting fact
/trollbait
. DSi has 2xCPU and 4xRAM as the DS/DSL. Wii has 2xCPU and ~4xRAM as the GameCube. The DS -> DSi upgrade in CPU/RAM is about the same %-wise as the GCN -> Wii upgrade.
[/extreme nitpick]Wii is almost exactly 1.5x the CPU, but it's possible that other efficiencies were introduced. One of the ram chips increased in capacity from 16 meg to 64 meg for an increase of 48 megs. The other two ram areas stayed the same at 24 and 3 meg respectively. A total of 2.11x over the Gamecube. The GPU speed also increased by 1.5x, but once again it's possible that other efficiencies were introduced. The really key improvements over the Gamecube were the remote style controller, and the introduction of integrated wireless technologies for connectivity.

The DSi is almost certainly a bigger upgrade %-wise over the DS than the Wii is over the Gamecube.

Even given all of this, I'd still like to see another improvement on the DS that improves the screen resolution. I was bored one day and made this:

nintendo_ds_lite.jpg

I imagine the upper screen to be 512x288.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't have the DSi spec changes memorized, but I think you're being too kind to Wii in this. The processors in Wii are 50% faster rather than 100%.

D'oh! You're correct. CPU/GPU are 150% of the GCN values. Were early reports that it was 2x the MHz? I must have got 2x in my head from somewhere.

JoshuaJSlone said:
And Wii's RAM is only almost 4 times as much as GameCube if we completely ignore the slower 16 MB of A-RAM.
Interestingly, the 16 MB of relatively slow 81mhz DRAM was what was improved in the Wii. It moved to 64mb of GDDR3, but the 24 MB of 1T-SRAM was mostly unchanged, along with the 3 MB of embedded GPU ram. In fact, so little was changed, that in order to display on 16:9 screen, instead of rendering a 16:9 window (say 854x480) it renders to a 640x480 window and lets the TV stretch the image.

markatisu

bcn-ron said:
And here I was thinking you were sufficiently humbled by four weeks in a row of you predicting "next week it will all be back to normal!" ... and being wrong.

Well yes the PS3 had a longer run at higher levels that I had though, but do not even act like I was the only one who thought things would level out quicker then they did.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
Well yes the PS3 had a longer run at higher levels that I had though, but do not even act like I was the only one who thought things would level out quicker then they did.

I definitely thought it would fall back sooner. Of course, I also didn't think RE5 and Yakuza 3 would do as well as they did.

bmf said:
Interestingly, the 16 MB of relatively slow 81mhz DRAM was what was improved in the Wii. It moved to 64mb of GDDR3, but the 24 MB of 1T-SRAM was mostly unchanged, along with the 3 MB of embedded GPU ram. In fact, so little was changed, that in order to display on 16:9 screen, instead of rendering a 16:9 window (say 854x480) it renders to a 640x480 window and lets the TV stretch the image.
So what you are saying is that Wii is really New Play Control: Gamecube

BlackNMild2k1 said:
So what you are saying is that Wii is really New Play Control: Gamecube
It is very much so. There were a couple of key architectural improvements and additions, the biggest of which was the wiimote. The biggest real difference is the advertising and the target demographic. The Wii is firmly aimed at the 80% of PS2 users who bought late into the lifecycle of the system for Guitar Hero, Eyetoy, or Singstar. Nintendo is bringing some key traditional titles to the system, and 3 or 4 high-visibility casual titles to the Wii each year. That casual crowd is known for only buying a scant few games per year and Nintendo's 1st party strategy seemingly meets it fairly well.

I have to come to the conclusion that Nintendo somewhat expected the 3rd parties to fill out the traditional catalog, but it appears that they calculated wrong on that count, and that's why we're seeing the New Play Control! series of games. It's Nintendo's attempt to have something *anything* to meet that demographic's expectations while they finish up their current projects and reallocate resources to better meet all of their target demographics.

The Wii is not a console targeted at the traditional gamer, but any traditional gamer would be remiss to not having one under their TV as there are and will be some unique traditional gaming opportunities on the system.

Spiegel

bmf said:
I have to come to the conclusion that Nintendo somewhat expected the 3rd parties to fill out the traditional catalog, but it appears that they calculated wrong on that count, and that's why we're seeing the New Play Control! series of games. It's Nintendo's attempt to have something *anything* to meet that demographic's expectations while they finish up their current projects and reallocate resources to better meet all of their target demographics.

I don't think so, they were planned well before the wii launch. In an old interview (mid-06) Miyamoto talked about these "wii-makes"

markatisu

Spiegel said:
I don't think so, they were planned well before the wii launch. In an old interview (mid-06) Miyamoto talked about these "wii-makes"

Yeah I think we all know by now Nintendo really did assume that Wii Music and Animal Crossing would carry them as Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii had months before

Spiegel said:
Then why didn't we see them earlier? Why did it take 2 years? I fully agree that Miyamoto talked about them, but I doubt they had any concrete plans until 2008 (late 2007?) at least.

birdchili

bmf said:
Then why didn't we see them earlier?
they desperately need them now? iwata seems really proactive about strategically timing software releases to drive hardware. they might have been keeping these more-or-less "ready" for an opportune moment? they telegraphed their existence so people would get a chance to get used to the idea? it's the kind of thing that could anger the demographic you're potentially trying to sell to...

The idea was there, some work may have been done early on, but I think most of the conversion work happened later. I think New Play Control! was a contingency plan or even originally expected to be very late cycle. The lack of any major architecture or API change might even bring the majority of the work to QA work.

donny2112

birdchili said:
they telegraphed their existence

The "telegraphing" you're referring to was Miyamoto off-handedly mentioning that games from last generation could be remade to take advantage of the Wii controls and be a new experience. I always took the comment itself as being geared towards third-parties who skipped out on the GameCube for some of their games last generation. There was no mention of Nintendo bringing back old GameCube games with new controls. In other words, the existence of these games was in no way, shape, or form, "telegraphed" years ago.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
The "telegraphing" you're referring to was Miyamoto off-handedly mentioning that games from last generation could be remade to take advantage of the Wii controls and be a new experience. I always took the comment itself as being geared towards third-parties who skipped out on the GameCube for some of their games last generation. There was no mention of Nintendo bringing back old GameCube games with new controls. In other words, the existence of these games was in no way, shape, or form, "telegraphed" years ago.

"The machine [Wii] is based on [the previous-generation console] GameCube," Miyamoto explained to the magazine. "We'll be upgrading the development tools, but GameCube code can be used for the most part as is. In that sense, I believe that it would be good to remake GameCube games for Wii, and that some titles would become better with the change to the Wii remote controller."

"Even now, [GameCube titles] are sold at used shops, so we don't feel we could sell them for full price," Miyamoto stated. "However, development costs have been taken care of, so we could probably sell them at a more accessible price. If we make it so that such GC to Wii remakes can be produced quickly, it's possible that many titles will also be released from third parties."

He's implying that Nintendo was going to re-release Gc games

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Anyone know how many FF13 demo/bundles were made available?

Spiegel

bmf said:
He was in no way implying that. All he said was that they had looked into the possibility. You boggle my mind.

I think He's making a declaration of intentions in that interview.

But my point was to show donny that Miyamoto did mention of Nintendo bringing back old GameCube games with new controls.

schuelma said:
Anyone know how many FF13 demo/bundles were made available?

Sinobi mentioned 700k-1 million copies (in a month?) in an entry talking about FFVII ACC but I suppose these are total shipments. Google doesn't make it very clear

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/theme-10002101933.html

It'll be great if someone can translate what Sinobi says.

Spiegel said:
I think He's making a declaration of intentions in that interview.

But my point was to show donny that Miyamoto did mention of Nintendo bringing back old GameCube games with new controls.
You could certainly connect his awareness of the possibility as a sign that they would be likely to do so eventually, but it would be incorrect assign specific intent based on this.

I could verbalize my awareness that it would probably be a good time to refinance my house, but I have no specific plans to do so right now.

donny2112

Spiegel said:

Interesting. The quote still comes across (to me) as aimed at third-parties to get them to quickly put out games for Wii from their last generation back catalog, but I can see where you might think they had started working on it themselves. If you recall, a level of Metroid Prime was backfitted with Wii controls as an early Wii demo. However for these New Play Control games, I can't see the development lasting over a year and probably more like 6-9 months, so I do not believe Nintendo has been working on these games since 2006 or 2007. Also the announcement of these games suddenly last Fall after the core-gamer fallout of E3 2008, screams "quickly developed titles to tide over core fans" to me.

Spiegel said:
Sinobi mentioned 700k-1 million copies (in a month?) in an entry talking about FFVII ACC but I suppose these are total shipments. Google doesn't make it very clear

I can't access sinobi's entry, at the moment, but Google routinely misinterprets the Japanese for 10,000 as 1 million. In that case, it'd make the total 7-10K, but maybe it's 70-100K? Can you post the actual statement from sinobi's blog?

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Interesting. The quote still comes across (to me) as aimed at third-parties to get them to quickly put out games for Wii from their last generation back catalog, but I can see where you might think they had started working on it themselves. If you recall, a level of Metroid Prime was backfitted with Wii controls as an early Wii demo. However for these New Play Control games, I can't see the development lasting over a year and probably more like 6-9 months, so I do not believe Nintendo has been working on these games since 2006 or 2007. Also the announcement of these games suddenly last Fall after the core-gamer fallout of E3 2008, screams "quickly developed titles to tide over core fans" to me.

Definitely, I don't think they were working on the wiimakes at that time.

donny2112 said:
I can't access sinobi's entry, at the moment, but Google routinely misinterprets the Japanese for 10,000 as 1 million. In that case, it'd make the total 7-10K, but maybe it's 70-100K? Can you post the actual statement from sinobi's blog?

Yep.

Original
"今週発売のゲーム(と言って良いのかは悩むが)のメインは、
発売1ヶ月で70万枚、累計出荷は100万枚を突破している
「ファイナルファンタジーVII アドベントチルドレン」のBlu-ray版に、
PS3版「ファイナルファンタジー XIII」の体験版をセットにした
「ファイナルファンタジーVII アドベントチルドレン コンプリート 限定版」。"

Google Translated

Games released this week (how good it is suffering from) the main,
To release 70 million a month, total shipments have topped 100 million copies
"Final Fantasy VII ADOBENTOCHIRUDOREN" version of the Blu-ray,
PS3 version of "Final Fantasy XIII" was set for trial
"Final Fantasy VII Limited Edition Complete ADOBENTOCHIRUDOREN".

Maybe he's talking about the sales of the original release (i.e Advent Children DVD)?

They're talking about AC, not ACC.

Edit: What the guy above me said.

Edit2: Just got off his site

OMG GODZILLA CLASSIC ON MUTHAFUCKIN BLURAY!!!! BOXSET!!!!! *has panic attack*

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Yeah, but re-reading again I think he's talking about the sales of the original release. 700k first month / 1 million LTD

It does read like he's saying 700k 1st month/1 million LTD for the Blu-Ray of Advent Children, but I think it's also saying that the Advent Children Complete bundle with FFXIII demo is a subset of that number.

Regarding the talk about whether or not PS3 is hanging on something special. A couple weeks ago I made a comparison between PS3's hardware behavior now with the Gundabump of 2007. I've just taken that image and stretched it out three weeks more for further comparison. Right now it just goes through week 7, but whenever the new MC numbers are added in the next day it will go through week 8.

2009-02-16

What color PSP bumped it back over the DSi? With strong sales like those, whenever the new PSP with the sliding touch screen, built in camera and accelerometer (right?) releases in Japan, I'm almost 100% sure that the PSP will probably outsell the DS for the rest of the life of the handheld, barring some huge gap in price.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
31. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
32. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
33. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
34. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI)
35. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA)
36. [PS2] Winning Post World (KOEI)
37. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
38. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
39. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
40. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
41. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
42. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (Konami)
43. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami)
44. [PSP] Harvest Moon: Sugar Village and Everyone's Wish (Marvelous)
45. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo)
46. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami)
47. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami)
48. [PSP] Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen! (Konami)
49. [PS2] Amagami (Enterbrain)
50. [WII] Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Nintendo)

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |    YTD    |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    47,542 |    62,409 | 1,117,835 | 26,237,478
PSP      |    40,886 |    48,118 |   788,870 | 12,152,889
WII      |    13,349 |    15,525 |   418,612 |  7,897,513
PS3      |    16,701 |    20,362 |   385,173 |  3,007,601
360      |    10,134 |     7,812 |   162,475 |    993,015
PS2      |     4,351 |     5,394 |    85,784 | 21,485,308
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    40,673 |    53,680 |  853,133 |   2,123,165
DSL      |     6,869 |     8,729 |  217,170 |  17,526,844

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

SOFTWARE | HARDWARE | CONSOLES | HANDHELDS

tn_mc-1-total-weekly-pie-124.png
tn_mc-1-total-weekly--MS-124.png

Rolf NB

Anyone remember the big race of PS3 to 3 million LTD vs Xbox 360 to 1 million LTD? We have a winner. Was close though. Looks like Xbox 360 might make it across next week.

edit: found something

jeremy1456

The Abominable Snowman said:
What color PSP bumped it back over the DSi? With strong sales like those, whenever the new PSP with the sliding touch screen, built in camera and accelerometer (right?) releases in Japan, I'm almost 100% sure that the PSP will probably outsell the DS for the rest of the life of the handheld, barring some huge gap in price.

I actually seriously doubt that, but hey, we've all got predictions and whatnot.

iceatcs

Do you think PS3 will overlap Wii YTD for few while after FF7AC/FFXIII demo (about 33K diff), maybe not first week after but MH coming soon after right?

AranhaHunter said:
So this is the reason for the 360 boost.

Jasper Arcades have been available in Japan for quite some time. I should know, I almost bought one in February through NCSX.

Come on guys, we all know the real reason. The Japanese caught wind of VO:OT 5.66 exclusive to 360 Arcade. MS finally found it's killer Japanese ap.

Arpharmd B said:
Jasper Arcades have been available in Japan for quite some time. I should know, I almost bought one in February through NCSX.

Come on guys, we all know the real reason. The Japanese caught wind of VO:OT 5.66 exclusive to 360 Arcade. MS finally found it's killer Japanese ap.

Follow the link and see the release date.

AranhaHunter said:
Follow the link and see the release date.

Apr 05, 2009

Haha, well you guys nailed it then.

I guess the Jasper I saw from NCSX a while back still had the cards packed in.

Who would of thought you could ever say this sentence without hell being frozen over:

"The Xbox 360 has outsold the PS2 and DSLite combined this week."

jeremy1456

Arpharmd B said:
Apr 05, 2009

Haha, well you guys nailed it then.

I guess the Jasper I saw from NCSX a while back still had the cards packed in.

Who would of thought you could ever say this sentence without hell being frozen over:

"The Xbox 360 has outsold the PS2 and DSLite combined this week."

To be fair that's kind of like saying that the Xbox 360 has a higher YTD than the Dreamcast. :lol

cvxfreak

Tideas said:
is MS doing a promotion for the 360? why is it rising?

I bought the RE5 bundle last week because it was on sale.

But it was a timed sale and only at ONE store. Other than that, beats me as to why it rose.

AFreak

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Anyone remember the big race of PS3 to 3 million LTD vs Xbox 360 to 1 million LTD? We have a winner. Was close though. Looks like Xbox 360 might make it across next week.

edit: found something

What the hell are you talking about? going by MC #s, PS3 already won that race.

Top Bottom