• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12

markatisu

t3nmilez said:
According to user reviews, doesn't look like Deca Sports 2 is much better the original, with comments like "100 yen would be too expensive" being the norm. Perhaps it deserves to fail.

Thats the impression I get from review sites and hands-on from places like IGN (which was basically another 10 games and all suck)

Its funny because people bash the "casual" audience for buying shovelware, then when they wise up and do not buy (for whatever reason) they get bashed for not buying it.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
I know it and the Dengeki numbers don't always agree, but going by the Famitsu Software Pie, there was one week prior to Yakuza 3 this year where PS3 software beat Wii: the week of Street Fighter IV. It then did the week of Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5, and one after, but not since.

Code:
Week        PS3%  Wii%
2009-01-05   8.5  [b]21.2[/b]
2009-01-12  13.9  [b]22.9[/b]
2009-01-19   9.9  [b]25.7[/b]
2009-01-26   5.4  [b]13.7[/b]
2009-02-02  11.8  [b]16.5[/b]
2009-02-09  [b]13.5[/b]  11.6
2009-02-16   6.6  [b]11.4[/b]
2009-02-23  [b]27.3[/b]  11.3
2009-03-02  [b]32.0[/b]   8.8
2009-03-09  [b]23.6[/b]  14.6
2009-03-16   9.8  [b]12.6[/b]
2009-03-23   7.7  [b]12.9[/b]
2009-03-30   9.5  [b]13.8[/b]

From Captain Smoker (Dengeki)

Code:
Week		 NDS	    Wii        PS3	  PS2	     PSP	X360

02/02 - 02/08 	 336.350    126.504    128.816	  105.175    198.800	32.791
02/09 - 02/15 	 504.351    114.290    185.817	  122.805    205.945	59.655

The second week after this was Yakuza 3.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Another incredible effect of such a low week: my Famitsu Top 30 Software bar generator can't muster up the will to add a display number higher than 0 for the Y axis. Truly, this week's sales are better than nothing.

:lol

Also, I'm pretty sure that part of Mario & Luigi 3's sales legs are because the DS hasn't had a really big title come out, in a while. When's the next big DS title before DQIX?

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Also, I'm pretty sure that part of Mario & Luigi 3's sales legs are because the DS hasn't had a really big title come out, in a while. When's the next big DS title before DQIX?

There's a new Pokemon game releasing this week.
Also, Kingdom Hearts and the Ace Attorney spin-off in late May

gantz85

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Isn't that for US DVD sales though? I wonder about the market dynamics for DVD/Blu-ray sales and whether it operates on roughly the same proportions (first day roughly half the first week, first week roughly half the LTD). If that's the case then we're looking at something like 400,000 ACC Blu-rays sold? Even with frontloading considered the LTD figure has to be north of 200,000 units minimum.

Japan 2008 Anime Blu-ray Sales Charts (http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10244113817.html)

01位:「マクロスF(フロンティア) 1」34,742枚
02位:「マクロスF(フロンティア) 2」27,137枚
03位:「マクロスF(フロンティア) 3」25,479枚
04位:「マクロスF(フロンティア) 4」22,731枚
05位:「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ R2 volume01」19,134枚
06位:「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ R2 volume02」16,014枚
07位:「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ R2 volume03」14,986枚
08位:「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ R2 volume04」13,520枚
09位:「ルパン三世 カリオストロの城」13,346枚
10位:「時をかける少女」9,162枚

The first four are for Macross F, the next four for Code Geass sequel, then Castle of Cagliostro and then that time travel anime. The top seller for 2008 was 34,700 units and FF:ACC has tripled that in one day.

I am DYING to know the hardware figures for next week and also how many copies of ACC sold are the FFXIII demo SKU.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gantz85 said:
I am DYING to know the hardware figures for next week and also how many copies of ACC sold are the FFXIII demo SKU.

I suspect the hardware bump might not be that impressive. Just a feeling though.

gantz85

Banned
schuelma said:
I suspect the hardware bump might not be that impressive. Just a feeling though.

After the lack of photos or news about people storming retail outlets for ACC and Cloud Black PS3s I have no doubt that the effect on hardware may not be that impressive. I'm still extremely curious though :lol We already know the hardware bumps from Yakuza 3 and RE5, I want to see what FFXIII Demo looks like :D

donny2112

Spiegel said:
There's a new Pokemon game releasing this week.

I had no idea a new Mystery Dungeon game was coming out. :lol Has this been discussed in the MC threads recently?

Spiegel said:
Also, Kingdom Hearts and the Ace Attorney spin-off in late May

Most people who know more about Kingdom Hearts than me (including yourself) seem to not think much of the DS game coming out compared to the PSP game, so I'm not sure what to expect on that front. Ace Attorney 4 did great two years ago, so we'll see how the spinoff does.

Thanks for the answer! :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
I had no idea a new Mystery Dungeon game was coming out. :lol Has this been discussed in the MC threads recently?

Not that I remember. For such a big series it certainly snuck up on us.

markatisu

gantz85 said:
After the lack of photos or news about people storming retail outlets for ACC and Cloud Black PS3s I have no doubt that the effect on hardware may not be that impressive. I'm still extremely curious though :lol We already know the hardware bumps from Yakuza 3 and RE5, I want to see what FFXIII Demo looks like :D

Yeah I am surprised at the lack of pictures, for containing the demo of probably the most anticipated PS3 game outside GT5 you would think we would see at least a pic of that one employee we see all the time during a big release

Tideas

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Probably safe to say it did another 5k this week and should now have crossed 100k. Did I mention that this should have been its initial shipment? I think I might have.

what does it matter if it's initial shipment or not if ppl arent gonna buy it?

Meesh

I don't really have much to add here...but I've been reading a lot of negative feedback on the heels of Wiis slow down in Japan(not in this thread), which seems to have only occurred over the last couple months...now "Wheeze teh d00md" or whatever.

Overall Wii sales are still amazing, considering they blew their load on core titles early on in its life, and still there's the promise of Sin and Punishment2, Pikmin3, new Punch Out, some third party stuff like Murasama, Silent Hill SM, and the on-rails-and-off-again-rails games(RE and DS) of railing Zombies and mutants with branching rails, FF: Crystal Bearers, Monster Hunter3...and god knows what else will be behind closed doors at this years E3(promises of something major?)...and still, "d00md"...

A lot of it reads like angry ejaculatory fantasy, (not the final stuff) and some of it reads as though...if enough noise is made, people are bound to listen and take note...and all because Wii falls short in Japan.

I'm looking forward to game blogs and some news sites slamming Wii when sales spike again with Motion+/Beach Resort(?) is launched...personally I think it'll be another Wiiplay runaway success...I don't think recent numbers indicate Wii is about to crash and burn, but more likely that a number of anticipated games on other systems are leveling the playing field, this translates to "d00md" though...

Does anyone actually think the recent turn of events in Japan, is enough to ripple enough negative press west side to cause a premature Wii abortion? I ask because a lot of early Wii sales were due to hype, a lot of people I know who bought a Wii, didn't even know what games it played, what it did. Maybe a building wave of nega-hype is enough to discourage would be Wii gamers? And could this even discourage potential developers, giving rivals a second look?

For me, this is a legitimate concern because I've been looking forward to a lot of third party games...currently buying more on Wii than I did on SNES.( I loved SNES) I'd hate for the fountain of support given so far to just dry up...aw hell...I'm just all kinds of negative tonight...probably doesn't even make any sense...

cvxfreak

The new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is more of a third version to the ones released in 2007 than a brand new game I hear. Kind of like the Pokemon Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum equivalent to the Mystery Dungeon series.

It should still sell quite nicely though, maybe even more than Mario & Luigi 3.

Evilink said:
A lot of it reads like angry ejaculatory fantasy, (not the final stuff) and some of it reads as though...if enough noise is made, people are bound to listen and take note...and all because Wii falls short in Japan.
It might be helpful if you were a little less combative. If you'd actually been reading these threads carefully, you would've seen plenty of measured statements, including many specifically pointing out that Wii is not doomed. There are always strident voices in any public venue, but I don't think they're nearly as prevalent as you imply. In fact, your post is more "system warrior"-y than the usual fare in the Media-Create threads.

Evilink said:
I don't think recent numbers indicate Wii is about to crash and burn, but more likely that a number of anticipated games on other systems are leveling the playing field...
The data do not show other systems overtaking the Wii this year, though. On the contrary, they clearly show that Wii sales have dropped off dramatically while PS3 holds relatively constant. That's put Wii within striking distance of the anemic PS3 performance.

Wii isn't doomed. Wii isn't about to crash and burn. The PS3 cannot possibly catch up to it in Japan. None of that means you should ignore the facts, and right now it's a fact that Wii's underperformance is not due to sudden unbeatable competition.

Meesh

Liabe Brave said:
It might be helpful if you were a little less combative. If you'd actually been reading these threads carefully, you would've seen plenty of measured statements, including many specifically pointing out that Wii is not doomed. There are always strident voices in any public venue, but I don't think they're nearly as prevalent as you imply. In fact, your post is more "system warrior"-y than the usual fare in the Media-Create threads.

I see what you're saying, I should have made it more clear that I was talking about other forums, news sites, ect, in relation to Media-Create information. I wasn't implying GAF...I guess it was an improper comment for the thread it was posted on? Again, my apologies, I'm really not a system warrior, I'm just largely misunderstood I think...I just write what I think, not what I'm saying :(

*reads my previous post* lol, shit, it reads like I'm a coke-head!

The data do not show other systems overtaking the Wii this year, though. On the contrary, they clearly show that Wii sales have dropped off dramatically while PS3 holds relatively constant. That's put Wii within striking distance of the anemic PS3 performance.

I'm not worried about systems overtaking Wii in the direct system wars sense, so much as I'm a little worried that some game ideas, potential IPs or whatever, will float elsewhere if Wii continues to drop the way it is Japan. It's got a good line up, but will that be enough to sustain or level Wii sales without huge first party stuff. eg, Mario, Zelda, Pikmin?

Wii isn't doomed. Wii isn't about to crash and burn. The PS3 cannot possibly catch up to it in Japan. None of that means you should ignore the facts, and right now it's a fact that Wii's underperformance is not due to sudden unbeatable competition.

I'm not about to question this statement. I thought Wiis under performance was due to a lack of killer games during a time when Sony was gaining momentum from their own quality releases. I mean, I could be wrong, I'm wrong all the time :)

I'm a reasonable guy, can't ignore the facts. :) I'm only replying to this because I think most of the time I'm misinterpreted, or I come off as a loon...or something...

GAF, don't send this hard to understand and poorly articulated buffoon away!

Evilink said:
I see what you're saying, I should have made it more clear that I was talking about other forums, news sites, ect, in relation to Media-Create information. I wasn't implying GAF...I guess it was an improper comment for the thread it was posted on?
Please excuse any excessive sharpness you might have heard in my response. Your post wasn't improper at all, it was just easy to misread as a complaint about GAF, since it didn't specifically mention other sites. Given that alternate gloss, I totally agree that there's some ridiculous sky-is-falling stuff being spouted across the internet (witness the very recent Yahoo post about Wii's falloff that's on GAF right now).

Evilink said:
I'm not worried about systems overtaking Wii in the direct system wars sense, so much as I'm a little worried that some game ideas, potential IPs or whatever, will float elsewhere if Wii continues to drop the way it is Japan.
I'd say your concern about lackluster third-party stuff is justified...but it should've been setting off alarms well before now. For whatever reason, there has been real reluctance from all concerned about putting the biggest IPs out on Wii, or devoting the greatest resources to establishing major new ones on the platform. That's why MH 3 is such a big deal.

So I don't think the current sales climate will cause third-party apathy, so much as it has itself been caused by that. Nintendo may have expected more out of Wii Music or even Animal Crossing, but can you blame them for thinking that by now there'd be a rich ecosystem of varied third-party games available for their clear market leader? Being the tentpole releaser for Gamecube was necessary; having to serve the same purpose for Wii, due to tepid support from others, borders on insulting.

Evilink said:
I'm not about to question this statement. I thought Wiis under performance was due to a lack of killer games during a time when Sony was gaining momentum from their own quality releases.
You're right. But my point was that even with the unprecedented slate of continuous big releases PS3 has seen, it would've had no chance to beat Wii had Nintendo's machine not fallen so drastically since last year. Sony's successes are predictable, and well within the limited range of "good for PS3"; Wii's major stumbles are what needs explanation. The lack of software certainly plays a major role.

Finally, don't take my response too much to heart. It was meant as advisory, not as a warning; if it came across bitter or angry that's my failure and not yours. I'd love to see more interested people engage in the Media-Create discussions.

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
Being the tentpole releaser for Gamecube was necessary; having to serve the same purpose for Wii, due to tepid support from others, borders on insulting.

Just wondering, but what else do third-parties need to do to push it all the way over to insulting? Maybe Square-Enix announce a FFXIII port, and then put out a press release the next day consisting of "Yeah, right! LOL Pwnt the kiddy consolez!!1!"

:D

donny2112 said:
Just wondering, but what else do third-parties need to do to push it all the way over to insulting? Maybe Square-Enix announce a FFXIII port, and then put out a press release the next day consisting of "Yeah, right! LOL Pwnt the kiddy consolez!!1!"

:D
Good point! :)

But I imagine that if I were Nintendo, it would be pretty tough to get too pissed off at anything. "Wow, our Japanese money pile is slightly less monstrous this year. ...Oh well."

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
bcn-ron said:
Probably safe to say it did another 5k this week and should now have crossed 100k. Did I mention that this should have been its initial shipment? I think I might have.

It crossed 100k a week or two ago, according to an issue of Famitsu. Barely though, it was like 100,007 or something :lol

Rolf NB

John Harker said:
It crossed 100k a week or two ago, according to an issue of Famitsu. Barely though, it was like 100,007 or something :lol
It's a pretty good turnaround for a game that was basically sent to die eight weeks ago with a 40k shipment or thereabouts. I still can't believe how they could have underestimated demand like that. Action RPG on PS3. Totally overcrowded genre, uh-huh.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Liabe Brave said:
Good point! :)

But I imagine that if I were Nintendo, it would be pretty tough to get too pissed off at anything. "Wow, our Japanese money pile is slightly less monstrous this year. ...Oh well."
I'm sure Nintendo is pretty pissed behind closed doors, actually.

It's like they'd have to send a busload of hookers over to a publisher just to get a Wii version of a title, let alone an exclusive that's actually worth a shit.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
In all the Deca Sports 2 "sky is fallingness," it might be useful to recall a theory postulated as to why Deca Sports 1 sold. It had the words Wii Sports in its name and launched at a time that Wii Sports was still popular. I don't know if Deca Sports 2 has Wii Sports in its name, but Wii Sports definitely isn't anywhere near as popular on a weekly basis in Japan as it used to be. Also, legs, and, yes, Wii software is generally very down, right now, because jack-all has been released for the system for pretty much the entire year.
I think it says something like "Wii de Sports" on the cover of Deca Sports 2 as well (under the main "Deca Sports 2" title). But ye, as you said, Wii Sports doesnt seem to be as popular on a weekly basis in Japan as it used to be, so maybe the "Wii de Sports" title on Deca Sports 2 doesnt have too much effect, but i dont know.

shykyoichi said:
Any 1st day numbers?
1st day numbers usually arent out before on Fridays. The last 1st day numbers we have (i think) is the numbers with Deca Sports 2.

pseudocaesar said:
So probably an extra 5 or 10k PS3 hardware. Whens Killzone 2 hit? That wont be until the next batch of data after this weeks will it?
Ye, Killzone 2 is being released in Japan tomorrow (Thursday), so we wont get the 1st week Killzone 2 numbers until the next batch of data as you say :) We might get some first day numbers of Killzone 2 on this Friday though :)

gkryhewy

cvxfreak said:
I wonder if it'll be a slow, miserable crawl to 10 Million...

In fact, they may not sell a single additional console from here on out.

(man these discussions are going to look really stupid by the end of the year)

Spiegel

Sinobi:

NDS Pokemon Fushigi no dungeon 142k
PS3 57k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi

Famitsu 4/13-4/19

1. NDS Pokemon Fushigi no dungeon (Nintendo)
2. PSP Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes (Capcom)
3. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (Capcom)
4. NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo)
5. PSP Fantasy Golf Pangya Portable (Takara Tommy)
6. NDS Hitman Reborn (Takara Tommy)

7. NDS famista 2009 (Bandai Namco)
8. WII Wii Fit (Nintendo)
9. PS2 Powerful Pro Baseball 2009 (Konami)
10. WII Deca Sports 2 (Hudson)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PS3 > Wii YTD? I wonder if MHG/Tri demo will reverse it again next week. It's certainly getting interesting.

spwolf

pseudocaesar said:
So probably an extra 5 or 10k PS3 hardware. Whens Killzone 2 hit? That wont be until the next batch of data after this weeks will it?

you know, what will be awesome is that all the peeps wil now point out that only 40k was gained from FF? :D

Spiegel

Sinobi comments that PS3 is the best selling system for the week. This only happened once in the past, when MGS4 was released.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I said it, at least 50k. Damn!

Now where's that software :lol :lol

Spiegel said:
Sinobi comments that PS3 is the best selling system for the week. This only happened once in the past, when MGS4 was released.
That is quite a feat. And on Golden week of all weeks.

markatisu

botticus said:
Either Deca Sports had a (relatively) fantastic weekend or this will be an exceptionally low software week.

I am thinking its a low software week, I mean the top game was under 150k

schuelma

Wow, a lot better than I expected for PS3 hardware. Depending on the MC numbers, it might have overtaken Wii in YTD.

androvsky said:
I'm still trying to figure out why people are expecting a sales boost in Japan from Killzone 2.

No one is, people have just been discussing its potential for SW sales, I think were all well aware that it wont push hardware in the slightest.

schuelma

Sage00 said:
PS3 > Wii YTD? I wonder if MHG/Tri demo will reverse it again next week. It's certainly getting interesting.

I was going to say the MH Tri demo won't do that much, but I didn't think the FF13 demo would do much either.

Top Bottom