• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

I still don't understand why TP flopped so hard in Japan... it was the best game in the top 20 by far... I mean... come on, Japan... Wii Play? 9 spots above Zelda? *vomits*
Yakuza 2? A Gundam game? If I were given a list of the top 20 in a random order, I would easily say that TP would sell best... what happened...

Kuramu

moku said:
I assume you dont know that these are Japanese sales. Super Mario2 In Japan was different from Super Mario2 in the States.

I thought the same thing, but it says NES not FC

KINGMOKU

bigmakstudios said:
I still don't understand why TP flopped so hard in Japan... it was the best game in the top 20 by far... I mean... come on, Japan... Wii Play? 9 spots above Zelda? *vomits*
Yakuza 2? A Gundam game? If I were given a list of the top 20 in a random order, I would easily say that TP would sell best... what happened...
Flopped? Its been out 3weeks now. Give it time, its a launch title. Most Zeldas have a siginifigant install base when released.

It will put up good numbers, it will just take time.

bigmakstudios said:

What happened? A game with (relatively) limited appeal on a console with less than a million userbase happened. Some people seemed to be expecting it to sell at a 1:1 ratio with the console, and that just wasn't going to happen given the situation.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
bmf said:
This really comes from people (who think that they're gamers) that started with the Playstation and the start of the cinematic gaming cycle. We're reaching a new phase of gaming (more social and interface based) and since all these people know are the cinematic cycle, they think that the new games are not games.

This article delves deeply into the theory of cycles in videogames that are outside of the console cycles, and is very interesting, even with it's pro-wii bent.

Great article indeed. Thanks for the link.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
BorkBork said:
All of which feeds into my disappointing supply issue comment. They screwed up somewhere along the line in delivering the system to meet the demand. Obviously, the demand is higher than they expected, but the supply situation still plays a big role.

It's not really a matter of how difficult it is to manufacture. Nintendo overproduced the Gamecube during Iwata's first year as president, and that turned into a huge problem for Nintendo. Iwata has already said recently that they will wait until they ramp up production targets for the Wii, they probably won't meet demand because it's too high right now, but their original target remains the same. Nintendo might ship more than 6 million Wii's before april if sales keep up in the first quarter, for now they seem to be taking a wait and see approach.

Top Bottom