• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

With sales like these to start it off and riding off the DS craze, I can see Wii ending this gen number one in Japan and, quite possibly, number one worldwide even though I'm still betting on the 360 taking the U.S. due to it's head start and excellent game selection already and Europe is just a toss up at the moment. Like someone said earlier, I hope this brings Japanese third parties on the Wii boat in full force.

The DS's numbers speak for themselves. Pure domination.

How can you not root for Nintendo? They're the last, pure gaming (or "non-gaming" to the haters) company still in the console race after Sega mailed it in. To them, gaming is their lifeline and not just a department they feel they should invade to complement other successful divisions in their large/diverse portfolio.

Go Big N! :)

NintendosBooger said:
How can you not root for Nintendo? They're the last, pure gaming (or "non-gaming" to the haters) company still in the console race after Sega mailed it in. To them, gaming is their lifeline and not just a department they feel they should invade to complement other successful divisions in their large/diverse portfolio.

While I wouldn't quite put it like that, I do echo those sentiments. It seems like Nintendo concentrates on bringing in new gameplay styles, genres, and pushing the envelope to a far more noticeable degree than either Microsoft or Sony. Nintendo is the "Old Guard. I will always buy a Sony console, simply because I appreciate what the Playstation 1 did for the industry, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to see Nintendo at the top.

Grampasso

Cheesemeister said:
pac-list.gif
Fatality!
Flawless victory!

castle007 said:
sweet :D

nintendo top 10 :lol

WTF is the Wii doing in the DS top 10?? :p

Nintendo top 10 ? Nintendo top 15 you mean !!!! That's what I mean when I say that USA is different then Japan's situation. It is enough to see this chart !!!

Did the PS2 ever have this type of domination in the software chart?
The DS software tie in ratio in Japan must be phenomenal!!
Good start for Wii too, can't wait for FireEmblem and DQ:Swords to hit!!

DQM:J Prediction:

860,820 (Total as of now)
+
106,000 (next week)
75,000 (two weeks)
21,000 (three weeks)

1.1 million

It’ll stay around 10-15k for a while afterwards. I predict 1.5 million when all is said and done.

sphinx said:
People could have some perspective with my example, and have a grasp about how huge some games in japan seem to be.

It was just an example, since I lived in Austria 6 years, it occured to me.

As long we're talking perspective, Animal Crossing has sold approximately the same amount as the entire population of my country.

Go, Singapore!

enishi

DefectiveReject said:
Did the PS2 ever have this type of domination in the software chart?
The DS software tie in ratio in Japan must be phenomenal!!
Good start for Wii too, can't wait for FireEmblem and DQ:Swords to hit!!

Consider the top 10 LTD titles on DS, they sum up to around 26m, which already makes the tie ratio become 1:2... The rest of titles probably give another 15 - 20m. I would say that the tie ratio should be around 1:3.2 if not better......

GBA tie ratio is only around 1:1.x only iirc

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
argon said:
I said wow. What an amazing chart for Nintendo in many ways..

- Top 15 all on Nintendo consoles / top 9 published by Nintendo
- Zelda moves up again?
- Pokemon D/P 4.5 million! both Pokemons 2+ million!
- AC, BA2 poised to hit 4 million. wow!
- Brain Training 1 is closing in on 3 million
- General Knowledge Training passes 1m and the rest of them will surely pass a million as well (Kirby, Wii Play, Wii Sports, DQMJ)

Not to mention, all Top 10 games are >500,000 sellers. Did this ever even happen?

bud

NintendosBooger said:

:lol :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nintendo is foremost a software company, not an hardware one. So uhm yeah they push software over hardware. As a matter of fact, it's Nintendo software what generally sells the most on Nintendo hardware.

cvxfreak

Well, I've officially contributed to the next Media Create chart's Wii sales. :D

On luck I found a Wii and picked up Wario, Wii Play and Pokemon. I almost lost the opportunity too, but I don't want to elaborate on that.
Hint: ****ING credit cards

fresquito

cvxfreak said:
Well, I've officially contributed to the next Media Create chart's Wii sales. :D

On luck I found a Wii and picked up Wario, Wii Play and Pokemon. I almost lost the opportunity too, but I don't want to elaborate on that.
Congrats :)

apujanata

cvxfreak said:

I thought you knew that CC is really the lousiest way to shop in Japan. Cash is King :). Is it from Yodobashi camera ? Any Pics ? :)

cvxfreak

Okay, I'll elaborate since I've blogged it already :lol

Basically, I was in Sofmap in Shinjuku with GAFer Troidal. I had been in Trader's, a used game shop, right before, when Troidal advised that I try Sofmap to see if they had Wiis before I dove for a used one for an extra 5000 Yen. Well they had one so I rush in line (others were buying Wiis -- dunno if they had DSLs in stock).

I manage to snag one with the games I mentioned, and then one by one, all five of my credit cards (one's actually a debit) declined!!!!!!!!! Talk about humiliating. DX

But Troidal saved the day by returning the 20,000 Yen I had given him for a CODE: Veronica Claire Dreamcast and on top of that, he lent me 5,000 Yen in order to get the system in cash. Troidal FTMFW!

Any other GAFers have trouble with Sofmap and credit cards? None of my card companies said I had holds, so it had to be Sofmap's fault.

cvxfreak said:

Basically, I was in Sofmap in Shinjuku with GAFer Troidal. I had been in Trader's, a used game shop, right before, when Troidal advised that I try Sofmap to see if they had Wiis before I dove for a used one for an extra 5000 Yen. Well they had one so I rush in line (others were buying Wiis -- dunno if they had DSLs in stock).

I manage to snag one with the games I mentioned, and then one by one, all five of my credit cards (one's actually a debit) declined!!!!!!!!! Talk about humiliating. DX

But Troidal saved the day by returning the 20,000 Yen I had given him for a CODE: Veronica Claire Dreamcast and on top of that, he lent me 5,000 Yen in order to get the system in cash. Troidal FTMFW!

Any other GAFers have trouble with Sofmap and credit cards? None of my card companies said I had holds, so it had to be Sofmap's fault.

Bummer
Hence why i no longer have any credit cards.
They are the evil of society.

pswii60

With the exception of Squenix, this chart is very worrying for third parties in Japan! Almost all those DS games are Nintendo published. I don't know if all these DS sales will encourage third parties to support it or boycott it. I'd like to think the former is more likely but seeing as its most Nintendo software that is selling on the format, Nintendomination could be worrying for third parties.

EDIT: Not that third parties are doing any better up the chart on other formats, but the potential is there, ie Metal Gear PO

cvxfreak

But one thing's for sure: people in Japan frantically buy Wiis when they're available.

And stacks of PS3s are available EVERYWHERE.

pswii60 said:
With the exception of Squenix, this chart is very worrying for third parties in Japan! Almost all those DS games are Nintendo published. I don't know if all these DS sales will encourage third parties to support it or boycott it. I'd like to think the former is more likely but seeing as its most Nintendo software that is selling on the format, Nintendomination could be worrying for third parties.

EDIT: Not that third parties are doing any better up the chart on other formats, but the potential is there, ie Metal Gear PO

No. Third Party developers can't boycott the DS, that's stupidity. They're actually doing well on the DS and we've seen in the famitsu top 100 charts that lots of them pulled in good numbers. Nintendo's just pulling in the bigger numbers and supporting the system a hell of a lot more than most third party developers care to.

u_neek

cvxfreak said:
But one thing's for sure: people in Japan frantically buy Wiis when they're available.

And stacks of PS3s are available EVERYWHERE.
How much is a Jap PS3 in US dollars?
When will we get last week's hardware numbers?

pswii60 said:

Oh God, not this again....

goompapa

pswii60 said:

hmmmm...

BIG sellers on DS(Love berry, Dragon Quest, FF3) -> exception
big seller on PSP(Metal Gear) -> proof

Nice try...

microsoft must be loving the ps3 software sales in japan right now.

not saying things won't turn around, but in terms of them getting support from japanese 3rd parties, the worse the ps3 does in japan, the more they get.

mgs:po may have sold 50,000+ again, which would be holding steady from last week. if so, very impressive.

and nintendo? good god. ignoring the ds for a minute, nintendo have 6 wii games in the top 30, more than any other system ignoring the wii. four of those games sold better than the best selling game on any other none DS system. that's after just a couple of weeks on what we know is a console that hasn't nearly shipped enough hardware to meet demand.

as for the ds... it is amazing how many games just won't stop selling. it is amazing how diverse the software is that is passing 1 million sales.

i will never cease to be impressed by the system's performance which is so far beyond what i expected it to do now that it isn't even funny.

Crazy things are going on in Japan and it just keeps getting crazier :lol

Edit: Zelda is holding on quite well, climbing up the charts :):)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
plagiarize said:
microsoft must be loving the ps3 software sales in japan right now.

No, they are loving the Nintendo sales. Nintendo is doing Microsoft's bidding in Japan. The longer this keeps up, the more support the Wii gets. Sony not having strong Japanese support is the best thing Microsoft could ask for. It levels the playing field out a lot.

cvxfreak

u_neek said:
How much is a Jap PS3 in US dollars?
When will we get last week's hardware numbers?

For better or worse, the 20GB model is around 50,000 Yen and the 60GB goes for around 60,000 Yen.

Google's rates today:
50,000 = $418
60,000 = $502

Of course the US equivalent doesn't mean much to the average Japanese consumer. But for visitors, it may be a great deal.

Yes, Nintendo games sell the bulk of the software on their systems. However, the vast majority of third party PS1/PS2 games have flopped horribly - you have the reliable, consistent sellers and you have the rest.

Third parties shovelled game after game onto those consoles because taking a far smaller piece of an enormous pie works better for them than certain alternatives.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
NINTENDO LAND AM CONFIRMED.

Holy Jesus, I want to know what does third parties directives thinks of Nintendo nowadays.

cvxfreak said:

Now, that's a Gaffriend. You can't show enought love to him :D

EktorPR

It's pretty definitive that Animal Crossing DS will cross the 4 million mark, and it will do so before the end of January. Amazing. I still remember when people doubted AC's long-term legs, myself included.

:O @ DQM: Joker too. Very nice.:D

tanasten said:
NINTENDO LAND AM CONFIRMED.

Holy Jesus, I want to know what does third parties directives thinks of Nintendo nowadays.
They think what Iwata tells them to think

I have a feeling Iwata tried to sign up lots of support for GC and no Japanese dev's would so he threatned them all with a DS release followed by a Wii release if they didn't.
No one listened so he unleashed the hounds of hell upon Japan...... Now Japanese developers cry themselves to sleep at night and send Iwata fruit and flowers every single day

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
DefectiveReject said:
They think what Iwata tells them to think

I have a feeling Iwata tried to sign up lots of support for GC and no Japanese dev's would so he threatned them all with a DS release followed by a Wii release if they didn't.
No one listened so he unleashed the hounds of hell upon Japan...... Now Japanese developers cry themselves to sleep at night and send Iwata fruit and flowers every single day

Well, I was thinking of something like: "****, those muther****ers are killing our sales. Send some Ninjas Kuta-san!"

Saoh

HOLY ****ING CRAP! at the Top15!!

that is just insane!! :O INSANE. domination is total! **** YEEAAHHH, GO NINTENDO!!!

we need HW ASAP :)

jepense

Taurus said:
Can't wait to see 'em. When were they coming exactly? About 11 hours, right?
Not that I'd know anything about when those numbers are released, but in 11 hours it's saturday morning in Japan. Isn't it more likely that we get the hardware data next week?

Oh, and yay for Nintendo! Those sales are insane.

mollipen

apujanata said:
I thought you knew that CC is really the lousiest way to shop in Japan. Cash is King :). Is it from Yodobashi camera ? Any Pics ? :)

Just got back from Japan, and while I knew about the lousy support for credit cards in the country, I thought maybe it had gotten a bit better since my last visit. It hasn't. I wanted to pick up a game in one store, and didn't have cash on me, and the store required the purchase be at least $50. There was nothing else in the store at the time that I wanted, so I just said screw it.

Nearly everywhere that said they supported credit card transactions was equally a mess. $30 minimum. $100 minimum. (WTF?) 5% additional charge added when using a credit card. For as technically advanced of a country as Japan is, I swear to god they're no better than a third-world country at times. Same goes for their ATM system as well.

cvxfreak said:

I picked up a pink PSTwo at one of the Softmap stores in DenDen Town in Osaka, and didn't have trouble at all using my US credit card. I think I then also picked up a game at the other Softmap store there with the same card, and again, no problem.

ziran

amazing chart!

i didn't expect wii to take off so quickly. wii sports is selling phenomenally well, which is great to see. zelda and warioware are also selling nicely.

ps3 on the other hand, is already facing several troubling issues imo. reading reports of the console being freely available, and seeing how poorly its sw is selling isn't good. the real danger for sony in japan is being left with only the sony fans/hardcore, similar to nintendo with the gc.

the shift in gaming tastes in japan over the last couple of years has been amazing to see, and really shows how desperate the market was for something new and fun.

creamsugar

DSL 344,878
Wii 195,331
PSP 118,186
PS3 69,944
PS2 52,037
Xbox360 18,235
GBM 3,311
GBASP 2,364
GC 1,258
DS 75
GBA 57