• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

Tideas

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
hahahaha yeah 13k is a real good first week when first weeks are 25%-50% of lifetime sales and you need to sell half a million copies or more to break even.

you don't think it'll sell at least half a million WORLDWIDE?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
msdstc said:
yah just like all the wii fanboys saying "dynasty warriors sells 200k on ps3, but 900k on ps2" how many ps2s were there when 5 came out? and the holidays are comin up.

So by this logic no software for the ps3 can be a failure since the console itself is an utter failure?

mutsu

msdstc said:
yah just like all the wii fanboys saying "dynasty warriors sells 200k on ps3, but 900k on ps2" how many ps2s were there when 5 came out? and the holidays are comin up.

Yeah, but it's not me who said it ;)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Stumpokapow said:
hahahaha yeah 13k is a real good first week when first weeks are 25%-50% of lifetime sales and you need to sell half a million copies or more to break even.

ok less than 50% of the total consoles sold so wtf is your point? Such blind fanboyism, you seem to ignore logic.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I'm sad at SMG's numbers. None of my students seem to be aware of it existing even though all of them have/played/100% cleared NSMB. Attention JGAFFERS, lets viral the hell out of Galaxy so it gets the recognition it deserves.

MrDaravon

schuelma said:
Sorry, but it's pretty bad. Tracking below Sunshine= not good.

Seriously. As a stand-alone number for any game it's hardly bad at all, but for a major Mario entry seen as the best in 10 years? Pretty fucking bad. Also baffling, I would have thought it would have produced much bigger numbers, you would think that a lot of the "casual" wii audience would still be interested in Mario. Definitely seems to be the case in the US at least, the game's completely sold out everywhere here within a day. One of my coworkers told me today she called everywhere in town last night, and no one had any left, or they hadn't gotten it in yet (Walmart).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Stumpokapow said:
So by this logic no software for the ps3 can be a failure since the console itself is an utter failure?

Ugh, I think I saw Joshua say that DW2 on PS2 sold less than DW6 did on PS3.

Can someone prove me wrong/right?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
muramura said:
I'm sad at SMG's numbers. None of my students seem to be aware of it existing even though all of them have/played/100% cleared NSMB. Attention JGAFFERS, lets viral the hell out of Galaxy so it gets the recognition it deserves.

Shouldn't that be, you know, Nintendo's job?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
SailorDaravon said:
Seriously. As a stand-alone number for any game it's hardly bad at all, but for a major Mario entry seen as the best in 10 years? Pretty fucking bad. Also baffling, I would have thought it would have produced much bigger numbers, you would think that a lot of the "casual" wii audience would still be interested in Mario. Definitely seems to be the case in the US at least, the game's completely sold out everywhere here within a day. One of my coworkers told me today she called everywhere in town last night, and no one had any left, or they hadn't gotten it in yet (Walmart).

Yeah, I don't think world wide Nintendo has any reason to worry..but in Japan, it should have done much better. I'm really at a loss to explain it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Ratchet came out the same day as the Dual Shock 3 and Sangoku Musuo and all of those had one day of sales. Plus, it's coming after Galaxy. As great as Ratchet is, it didn't have a chance to sell this week. :(

Here's hoping for some better sales next week or during the holidays. Previous R&C games did 200,000+. It shouldn't do much less than that, lifetime wise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tideas said:

The fact that the US will make a product break even doesn't make the 360 successful in Japan and it won't make Ratchet and Clank successful in Japan.

msdstc said:
ok less than 50% of the total consoles sold so wtf is your point? Such blind fanboyism, you seem to ignore logic.

By your logic it's absolutely meaningless to even consider PS3 sales at all, since the PS3 in one year has only caught up to the PS2 after around a month. What can we compare PS3 software sales to in your mind?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tideas said:

it's guaranteed to that's something I'd bet my account on this game will sell more than a half mill worldwide, it's such a joke this guy is just trolling the shit outta ps3

Stumpokapow said:

dude seriously you're one of the biggest fanboys I've ever seen you really have an anger towards sony for some reason.

lets say this... dynasty warriors 5 released 2005, ps2 has an extremely well established user base, sells 900k

ps3 dynasty warriors 6 comes out, so far it starts out at 190k, almost a quarter of the sales, now by the end of it's life time after the holidays and sales it'll wind up with probably about 50% of the ps2 sales... in 2005 there was probably 10 times as many ps2s as ps3s for the record in Japan.

oh yah and by your logic Mr. fanboy, mario galaxy isn't just a bomb, it's a fucking travesty.

edit- by the way, I'm one of those galaxy sales come next week I have nothing against the wii. I admit my bias towards sony I just hate blind fanboyism this guy is a raging fanboy.

fernoca

All I know is that Galaxy better have some..amazing legs..
Or I'll go to Japan and slap every japanese with my "bundled/free" copy of Wii Sports...in the head.. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
reilo said:
Ugh, I think I saw Joshua say that DW2 on PS2 sold less than DW6 did on PS3.

Can someone prove me wrong/right?

You are correct that this launch is bigger (slightly) than the launch of DW2.

Since then, in the Musou series, there has been DW3, DW3 Legends, DW4, DW4 Legends, DW4 Empires, DW5, and DW5 Legends.

Tideas

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The fact that the US will make a product break even doesn't make the 360 successful in Japan and it won't make Ratchet and Clank successful in Japan.

By your logic it's absolutely meaningless to even consider PS3 sales at all, since the PS3 in one year has only caught up to the PS2 after around a month. What can we compare PS3 software sales to in your mind?

13k for a first week of a Western developed game in Japan is actually pretty good. Sure, it won't make a dent on the worldwide sales, but it'll make some dent.

If it goes on to sell say, 50k in Japan, hey that's 50k less it'l have to sell worldwide to make the profit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Stumpokapow said:

Since then, in the Musou series, there has been DW3, DW3 Legends, DW4, DW4 Legends, DW4 Empires, DW5, and DW5 Legends.

aww dw6 did VERY good... lets see how DW7 does after this to follow suit of the last go around... by then MGS4 will have dropped along with DMC4, RE5 and another price drop, and a much more established base, it will also sell phenomenal. Of course you'll ignore this.

FFTA2 is doing pretty good for itself. I dont know how it compares to the other FFT games, but its been in the top 5 since its release I think.

reilo

Stumpokapow said:

So what the fuck are you arguing? Shut up already. Why aren't you crying about SMGs sales then, since it was released on twice the userbase that the Gamecube had when Sunshine was released in JULY?

There's a word for you, but I cannot just quite figure out what it is.

Also, DW6 first day sales > SMG first day sales.

Monk

Banned
msdstc said:
it's guaranteed to that's something I'd bet my account on this game will sell more than a half mill worldwide, it's such a joke this guy is just trolling the shit outta ps3

dude seriously you're one of the biggest fanboys I've ever seen you really have an anger towards sony for some reason.

lets say this... dynasty warriors 5 released 2005, ps2 has an extremely well established user base, sells 900k

ps3 dynasty warriors 6 comes out, so far it starts out at 190k, almost a quarter of the sales, now by the end of it's life time after the holidays and sales it'll wind up with probably about 50% of the ps2 sales... in 2005 there was probably 10 times as many ps2s as ps3s for the record in Japan.

oh yah and by your logic Mr. fanboy, mario galaxy isn't just a bomb, it's a fucking travesty.

edit- by the way, I'm one of those galaxy sales come next week I have nothing against the wii. I admit my bias towards sony I just hate blind fanboyism this guy is a raging fanboy.

Dude there was a time that SSBM was selling at a near 1:1 basis, almost every gamecube owner in Japan had SSBM. If the game is big enough it will sell the console.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People keep talking about how Mario is such a failure, but I look down from his spot and see Mario Party 8 still clinging on at #14.

I honestly can't imagine a situation in which weekly numbers of Mario Galaxy would fall below the numbers for Mario Party 8. MP8 started out not too much over where Galaxy did, but it's had some crazy legs. If Mario Party 8 has crazy legs, I don't see why Mario Galaxy wouldn't.

Satter

Banned
schuelma said:
Yeah, I don't think world wide Nintendo has any reason to worry..but in Japan, it should have done much better. I'm really at a loss to explain it.

I'd really love to hear from some the JapanGaffers, and get their PoV on what the gaming tastes are of the hardcore, and mainstream, gamers over in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
msdstc said:

What am I a fanboy towards/against? I'm just curious.

What part of this is problematic:
- Budgets go way up
- Sales go way down
- This is bad for a series
- When this is true for every series on the platform, this is bad for that platform.

The PS3 hardware is awful in Japan. It is around where the PS2 was after one month, and it's been out for a year. It's taken massive price cuts to even get a pulse, let alone any sort of reasonable sales. As a result, software has bombed spectacularly.

Your point is correct: PS3 software CAN'T sell as well as we're used to with PS2 software, because the PS3 hardware is bombing. The problem is that this doesn't excuse anything. X360 software is pathetic because X360 hardware is pathetic... but the lack of hardware doesn't make the software any less pathetic.

Yeah, it is a fucking travesty. Wii software sales have been awful, and Mario Galaxy is just the latest travesty of many.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Monk said:
Dude there was a time that SSBM was selling at a near 1:1 basis, almost every gamecube owner in Japan had SSBM. If the game is big enough it will sell the console.

this isn't SSBM, it's the same game we're comparing. Attach rate of Dynasty warriors was 900k to however many ps3s there were out there... even if that was a 1:10 ratio.

if we were comparing the same game which is dynasty warriors, it will sell at least that ratio actually beyond. It had a great launch I don't get the complaining about that? It's a popular game, but certainly not a massive system seller like oh say SMG, which by all of your logic is fucking bombing MISERABLY, yet you choose to look past that and talk about how R+C tanked.

R+C has NEVER been popular in Japan, why would this one be different? If it's not liked that much WHO CARES right? It's not going to push consoles, I don't know why someone would choose to believe that. I'd like to think it could've had a chance in that market, but if you thiink about it it really doesn't.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
reilo said:
So what the fuck are you arguing? Shut up already. Why aren't you crying about SMGs sales then, since it was released on twice the userbase that the Gamecube had when Sunshine was released in JULY?

I am complaining about SMG's sales. They're bad. Way bad. So bad I complained about them in the last thread and the thread before that and in PMs with people.

I don't get this thought process
"He's saying something bad about a product on Sony hardware so that must mean that he's a raving anti-Sony fanboy who can't say a bad word about Nintendo".

Edit: I've been posting in these threads for more than a year, I've helped plenty of people with data and numbers, I've made tons of graphs both independently and on request, and I've had lengthy civil debates with countless posters. I'm not sure why suddenly after all this time I'm magically "one of the worst fanboys ever" in this one thread

mutsu

schuelma said:

Casuals hate 3D games because they look too overly complicated? That's the only reason I can think of.

My wife gets scared as soon as she saw Mario Galaxy in 3D. She would have no problem trying New Super Mario Bros on DS though.

Tristam

muramura said:

How old are your students?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
mutsu said:
Casuals hate 3D games because they look too overly complicated? That's the only reason I can think of.

My wife gets scared as soon as she saw Mario Galaxy in 3D. She would have no problem trying New Super Mario Bros on DS though.

no way man, SMS did fine that was 3d. I personally think a lot of the wii sales are based around motion controls, so maybe people just weren't interested in mario? Maybe the old gamecube crowd has yet to go out and get a wii. It's a completely different target audience now.

edit- for the record I know it has motion sensing, but maybe the way it was used was of no interest to people?

reilo

Stumpokapow said:
I am complaining about SMG's sales. They're bad. Way bad. So bad I complained about them in the last thread and the thread before that and in PMs with people.

"He's saying something bad about a product on Sony hardware so that must mean that he's a raving anti-Sony fanboy who can't say a bad word about Nintendo".

Edit: I've been posting in these threads for more than a year, I've helped plenty of people with data and numbers, I've made tons of graphs both independently and on request, and I've had lengthy civil debates with countless posters. I'm not sure why suddenly after all this time I'm magically "one of the worst fanboys ever" in this one thread

So, selling more software on less hardware = bad?

Monk

Banned
msdstc said:
this isn't SSBM, it's the same game we're comparing. Attach rate of Dynasty warriors was 900k to however many ps3s there were out there... even if that was a 1:10 ratio.

if we were comparing the same game which is dynasty warriors, it will sell at least that ratio actually beyond. It had a great launch I don't get the complaining about that? It's a popular game, but certainly not a massive system seller like oh say SMG, which by all of your logic is fucking bombing MISERABLY, yet you choose to look past that and talk about how R+C tanked.

R+C has NEVER been popular in Japan, why would this one be different? If it's not liked that much WHO CARES right? It's not going to push consoles, I don't know why someone would choose to believe that. I'd like to think it could've had a chance in that market, but if you thiink about it it really doesn't.

Oh i see what you are getting at. The thing is that platformer game sales are a shadow of its former self in japan since the n64 days. What was the last platformer that did well in Japan that was 3d?

EDIT: And while we are on the subject, anyone who says that Musou bombed is an idiot.

mepaco

Stumpokapow said:

I see a lot of touchy people moving over here from the PS3 sales increase thread. You have always seemed level headed to me and full of good info. Anyway, Ratchet sales are pitiful, SMG sales are pitiful, and it aggravates me to no end that Mario Party games sell so much better than both of them and a lot of other quality titles.

Tron 2.0

Roat said:
Is it ahead or behind Zelda: TP at this point relatively?
It's ahead, I believe.

Twilight Princess: 145K and 36K. Two week total of 181K.
Super Mario Galaxy: 256K and 78K. Two week total of 334K.

Make of that what you will.

It's comparing Famitsu numbers for TP to Media Create numbers for SMG because that's all I can find.

msdstc said:

ThePeriod.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Monk said:
Oh i see what you are getting at. The thing is that platformer game sales are a shadow of its former self in japan since the n64 days. What was the last platformer that did well in Japan that was 3d?

EDIT: And while we are on the subject, anyone who says that Musou bombed is an idiot.

It's not limited to platformers, any good game that's not an RPG bombs in Japan (relative to other popular games), while shitty anime based games and minigame based games sell by the boatloads.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
reilo said:
So, selling more software on less hardware = bad?

Who's selling more on less hardware?

DW6 is selling less on less hardware than most of its predecessors, although admittedly more on less hardware than a game released 8 installments in a series ago... while simultaneously having a massive increase in budget and therefor a massive increase in terms of number of units that must be sold to break even.

I don't really care if Joshua did it in a previous thread, I don't think comparing DW6 to DW2 is meaningful. I don't think that DW6's numbers are awful considering the hardware base, but I think having to disclaimer everything with "considering the hardware base " makes pretty much all analysis meaningless, especially as it relates to the PS3/X360 in Japan.

The one time I recall saying something did good despite the userbase was Beautiful Katamari a month or so ago, and I distinctly remember several posters--I think jj984jj and ethelred but I might be getting names wrong here--correctly reminding me that that's junk analysis.

Here's the thing--the PS3 in a year is the PS2 in a month. The PS2 at this point in its userbase was still selling launch titles. If you insist on comparing the PS3 to the PS2 at equal userbase points rather than equal lifespan points, you're going to cut off pretty much any analysis that says anything at all.

SMG is selling less on more hardware, which is both unfortunate and pathetic.

Monk said:

It's not a bomb if you consider attach rate. It is a bomb if you consider that all Musou games, no matter how well they've sold, have been exceedingly front-loaded, and that this Musou game in particular has costed more than all previous Musou games while selling less than all but the first two installments (including all of the spinoff installments).

Lightning

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The PS3 hardware is awful in Japan. It is around where the PS2 was after one month, and it's been out for a year. It's taken massive price cuts to even get a pulse, let alone any sort of reasonable sales. As a result, software has bombed spectacular.
You can say that every week and there is not a person here who doesn't already know that. KOEI, S-E, Konami etc... also know that.... but thanks for stating the obvious for us some more.

Now, what we are excited about is that Musou 5 is the highest selling title on the PS3 for the first day, we had the highest PS3 hardware (supposedly, will wait until MC confirms) that the system has had in a LONG time and after a long spell of bad news it's nice to have some positive news once in a while. This is also FIRST DAY sales.... I will wait for next week for condemning the game.

Comparing most things to the PS2 this gen for any console will be rather fruitless, especially in Japan, those days are over for consoles. The Wii won't do it, the PS3 won't do it and the 360 definitely won't do it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Stumpokapow said:
Here's the thing--the PS3 in a year is the PS2 in a month. The PS2 at this point in its userbase was still selling launch titles. If you insist on comparing the PS3 to the PS2 at equal userbase points rather than equal lifespan points, you're going to cut off pretty much any analysis that says anything at all.

It's funny that this is the case when the PS3's price and library is finally at a level similar to what the PS2 launched at. Should be interesting going forward.

reilo

Stumpokapow said:

DW6 is selling less on less hardware than most of its predecessors, although admittedly more on less hardware than a game released 8 installments in a series ago... while simultaneously having a massive increase in budget and therefor a massive increase in terms of number of units that must be sold to break even.

I don't really care if Joshua did it in a previous thread, I don't think comparing DW6 to DW2 is meaningful. I don't think that DW6's numbers are awful considering the hardware base, but I think having to disclaimer everything with "considering the hardware base " makes pretty much all analysis meaningless, especially as it relates to the PS3/X360 in Japan.

The one time I recall saying something did good despite the userbase was Beautiful Katamari a month or so ago, and I distinctly remember several posters--I think jj984jj and ethelred but I might be getting names wrong here--correctly reminding me that that's junk analysis.

SMG is selling less on more hardware, which is both unfortunate and pathetic.

But how else are we supposed to make sales comparisons? Knowing the relative userbase of its predecessor at the time of release and how its sales are trending is the best way we have to predict future sales, no?

Hence why SMG sales are so disappointing because people looked at the userbase of the Wii relative to the NGC when Sunshine was released, and thus predicted "holy shit 500K first day!" sales for Galaxy. When it didn't reach anywhere near the highly predicted sales [even retailers ordered near 700K of Galaxy predicting huge things for it] it has been, such as you said, dubbed 'pathetic.'

Nobody in their right mind is saying "Galaxy sales are lackluster" because of when the game was released, but rather in comparison to the Wii's userbase!

And in no way am I saying that the PS3 userbase is grandiose or even good, it is, such as Galaxy sales in Japan, pathetic. But to say that DW6 sales on the PS3 are bad is just shortsighted.

Linkup

Stumpokapow said:

It's not a bomb if you consider attach rate. It is a bomb if you consider that all Musou games, no matter how well they've sold, have been exceedingly front-loaded, and that this Musou game in particular has costed more than all previous Musou games while selling less than all but the first two installments (including all of the spinoff installments).

What, Koei said about 300k to break even? 200k isn't that far off from at least breaking even and worldwide sales will of course bring them over the line.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lightning said:
You can say that every week and there is not a person here who doesn't already know that. KOEI, S-E, Konami etc... also know that.... but thanks for stating the obvious for us some more.

Now, what we are excited about is that Musou 5 is the highest selling title on the PS3 for the first day, we had the highest PS3 hardware (supposedly, will wait until MC confirms) that the system has had in a LONG time and after a long spell of bad news it's nice to have some positive news once in a while.

Comparing most things to the PS2 this gen for any console will be rather fruitless, especially in Japan, those days are over for consoles. The Wii won't do it, the PS3 won't do it and the 360 definitely won't do it.

agreed.

What you have to look at is, it's not JUST PS3 that's selling like ass in Japan, as of late the wii also isn't selling all that great, albeit destroying the ps3, but not nearly up to par. Consoles are a bit dead right now, I think after games like VF5 or RR7 maybe sony had to worry about 3rd party, but with sales like DW6 doing 190k debut, that's not bad at all. This attracts more 3rd party studios to work on that PS3. Same goes for zack and wiki, the sales were a joke, what does that tell devs about the wii? That's why this news on the ps3 is so great, regardless of how well the others sold, it shows once the momentum is there it can truly sell great, they just need to get more games out, and I don't mean 1 big game, than 3 months, another big game and then another 3 months. I mean like next year when DMC4, RE5, and GT5P all come out around the same time, the momentum will be hard to stop.

Top Bottom