• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

kassatsu

Banned
moku said:
I hope Nintendo sees those Mario Party DS numbers, and gets it thru thier dumb-as-hell skulls that maybe, JUST MAYBE, ANOTHER console game moved to the DS could garner sales on a scale that would dwarf Mario Party.

Why they havnt done it yet makes me want to punch someone high up at Ninty in the face.

Anyone wanna guess the game i'm talking about?
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. ?

MisterHero

moku said:
I hope Nintendo sees those Mario Party DS numbers, and gets it thru thier dumb-as-hell skulls that maybe, JUST MAYBE, ANOTHER console game moved to the DS could garner sales on a scale that would dwarf Mario Party.

Why they havnt done it yet makes me want to punch someone high up at Ninty in the face.

Anyone wanna guess the game i'm talking about?
Guys I think he means Nintendogs

it began as a GC game

KINGMOKU

Odysseus said:
:lol Smartass.

Yeah, Smash Brothers*Mejilan*#1. With the install base of the DS, that game could sell numbers that would boggle the damn mind. I would guess around 20million.

papercut

moku said:
:lol Smartass.

Yeah, Smash Brothers*Mejilan*#1. With the install base of the DS, that game could sell numbers that would boggle the damn mind. I would guess around 20million.

It's probably a good idea, but I think Sakurai is getting sick of making these games. He's probably not going to want to make a full-fledged Smash DS game, so Nintendo will have to have one of it's internal teams do it. I can't imagine it being quite as good.

Flakster99

Very impressed with the amount of 3rd party DS titles on the list. It looks to be doing a fine job of being the successor of the PS2 3rd party wise, and to think the DS is only 3 years in. Also nice Wii Fit sales, and as the weeks fly by my anticipation for Wii Fit is growing by leaps and bounds. Can't wait. :)

MisterHero

Smash Bros DS even without Sakurai's input (heaven forbid) would mop the floor with Brawl and that's why Nintendo won't do it.

Guys just get the Kirby Superstar remake when it comes out. :p

Mario Galaxy is definitely showing some serious sustaining power. I wasn't sure how it would pan out after several weeks but it's looking like it'll hold strong for a long while. Mario Party DS is one of those games I would have expected to do well but it still surprises me to see it beat out WiiFit.

Busaiku

donny2112 said:
Yeah, it's only better than every other Final Fantasy re-release except for Final Fantasy III DS. It even beats the Final Fantasy IV re-release on the PS1. Really bad.

:lol
Yeah, but it also involved A LOT more work than previous versions.

FFIV is performing way below my expectations. I really thought it'd be a surefire million seller. Hopefully it will be able to get there.

The Japanese sales resurgence of Super Mario Galaxy is highly welcome. Let's hope it breaks a million before the holiday sales season is over.

KINGMOKU

papercut said:
It's probably a good idea, but I think Sakurai is getting sick of making these games. He's probably not going to want to make a full-fledged Smash DS game, so Nintendo will have to have one of it's internal teams do it. I can't imagine it being quite as good.
Just port smash1 and sell 10million copies then.

Any other company would have done it years ago. I understand quality control and all that, but FFS get on it already.

How sick would handheld Smash, ONLINE be? Crack? Heroin? Cheese?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Galaxy doing so well after a relatively muted start makes the empty cavity where my heart should be all warm and fuzzy.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
06. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 105,000 / 317,000

That should be Sega, shouldn't it?

donny2112

medrew said:
Easter is Golden Week in Japan (vacation time, so sales go up at that period). But I thought DS sales really went up at the end of 05; and DS Lite came out around Easter?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

The DS went ahead of the PSP in weekly sales the week Touch! Kirby came out after being behind for a couple of months. Someone suggested that the DS was seeing an increase due to Easter. Easter is not a nationally celebrated holiday in Japan. Meme born.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sage00 said:
06. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 105,000 / 317,000

That should be Sega, shouldn't it?

Not in Japan

Very happy to see DQIVr >>>>>>>>> FFIVr.

The remake is far too close to the GBA game. Counting Anthology, FFIV has been released 3 times in about 8 years.

The 3D in that game looks shit to me too. I'm only gonna buy it to hear the music - which was severely butchered on the GBA.

Galaxy back up there makes me giddy as hell.

jgwhiteus

Yeah, those FFIVr numbers aren't great (60% of the shipment according to Famitsu?), especially compared to the DQIVr numbers, but I guess DQ's always been more popular than FF in Japan, and I don't think DQIV has been re-released like three times in the past decade or so. Plus, apparently all the previous FF ports/remakes (FF1&2 on Wonderswan/GBA/PSP/PS1, FF IV/V/VI on PS1, FFIV Advance, etc.) weren't huge saleswise (I don't think any of them reached a million?) so maybe it's in line with expectations (if on the lower end).

FFIII DS is the big exception, just clearing over a million, and perhaps not so coincidentally it's the only FF game that hadn't been previously ported/remade before it was released. I don't think this affects the chances for (more) FFV and VI remakes, since Square's never been one to avoid remaking and porting everything in its back catalog.

On the "this remake took more effort" - didn't FF Collection on PS1 have full CG movies? Besides that, they've reused the FFIII engine, and added VA, which I guess would be the biggest "new" cost, but even that can't be that expensive. So I'm pretty sure with 280,000 first week they're already raking in major profits.

Nuts. DQIV is hitting a million next week and Galaxy should definitely be at a million by the end of january.

Any major releases coming up next week or the week after?

ethelred

donny2112 said:
Yeah, it's only better than every other Final Fantasy re-release except for Final Fantasy III DS. It even beats the Final Fantasy IV re-release on the PS1. Really bad.

:lol

I'm going to assume that's a joke.

Busaiku

DanielJohnson said:
Nuts. DQIV is hitting a million next week and Galaxy should definitely be at a million by the end of january.

Any major releases coming up next week or the week after?
Nothing really major, but Nodame Cantabile may be somewhat popular (low, low chance). The manga, anime, and live action are all really popular. The DS game is at about 100k as well.

This is only for Wii of course.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm one of those WiiFit purchasers... It's actually kind of fun and it motivates me to continue doing sit-ups / push-ups / other muscle-building excercises.

Considering it's the holidays here in Japan these kind of sales are pretty much expected. All you see in the front of stores is Wii, WiiFit, DS Lite, Dragon Quest IV and Final Fantasy IV.

I expect 2008 to be a huge year (comparitively) for the PS3 in Japan, though. The only games I really see being pushed for the system right now in Japan are Gran Turismo 5: Prologue and Uncharted. Neither of those games are system sellers (at least in Japan) so it's pretty easy to understand why the PS3 isn't able to put up much of a fight this holiday season.

donny2112

Rancid Mildew said:
FFIV is performing way below my expectations.

Then let's adjust those expectations, shall we?

Ordered by first week sales:

Code:
NDS Final Fantasy III                    502K .. 52K .. 53K ... 1 million (20070701; probably would've done better with more stock early on)
[b]NDS Final Fantasy IV                     309K[/b]

WS  Final Fantasy                        147K .. 56K .. 44K ... 377K (20011230)
GBA Final Fantasy V Advance              147K .. 33K .. 14K ... 243K (20061231)
WS  Final Fantasy II                     147K .. 28K .. 17K ... 242K (20011230)
GBA Final Fantasy VI Advance             137K .. 36K ..     ... 280K (20070701)
GBA Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls  137K .. 34K .. 26K ... 269K (20041226)
PS1 Final Fantasy IV                     119K .. 49K .. 23K ... 261K (19971228)
GBA Final Fantasy IV Advance              99K .. 35K .. 21K ... 219K (20061231)
PS1 Final Fantasy II                      57K .. 25K .. 14K ... 138K (20021229)
PS1 Final Fantasy                         55K .. 23K .. 14K ... 122K (20021229)
PSP Final Fantasy                         53K .. 41K ..     ... 118K (20070701)
PS1 Final Fantasy V                       51K .. 20K .. 11K ... 152K (19981227)
PSP Final Fantasy II                      34K .. 12K ..     ...  46K (20070617)
PS1 Final Fantasy VI                      27K .. 10K ..     ...  37K (19990321)
WS  Final Fantasy IV                      20K ..  6K ..  4K ...  30K (20020414)

ethelred said:
I'm going to assume that's a joke.

I'm going to assume you haven't looked at the numbers. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
moku said:
Just port smash1 and sell 10million copies then.

Any other company would have done it years ago. I understand quality control and all that, but FFS get on it already.

How sick would handheld Smash, ONLINE be? Crack? Heroin? Cheese?

You forget, this is the same company that didn't feel the need to start on the sequel to their best selling Gamecube game until 4 years after it came out, giving priority to shit like Kirby Air Ride. Same thing with Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and SMG.

I like Nintendo, but some of the decisions they make causes the mind to boggle.

ethelred

donny2112 said:
Then let's adjust those expectations, shall we?

Ordered by first week sales:

Okay, so you weren't joking. This is a bit worrisome. Methinks you need to reevaluate this stance a bit, Donny.

donny2112 said:
I'm going to assume you haven't looked at the numbers. :lol

I'm well aware of the numbers. Comparing this full remake to straight ports is kinda dumb, to be honest. The only real comparison point there is FFIII and it's underperforming that by a lot.

Odysseus

Banned
ethelred said:
Okay, so you weren't joking. This is a bit worrisome. Methinks you need to reevaluate this stance a bit, Donny.

I'm well aware of the numbers. Comparing this full remake to straight ports is kinda dumb, to be honest.

remake or not, it's still a game the market has seen multiple times over and not too long ago, at that.

ethelred said:

I'm well aware of the numbers. Comparing this full remake to straight ports is kinda dumb, to be honest. The only real comparison point there is FFIII and it's underperforming that by a lot.
But the same source material came out less than a year ago...how could that not affect sales??

Raw64life

Excellent sales for Mario Galaxy and Dragon Quest IV. DQIV should easily pass the PSX remake number.

Mario Party DS and Mario Party 8 are on track to be the 1st and 2nd best selling Mario Party games ever both in Japan and worldwide.

ethelred

DanielJohnson said:
But the same source material came out less than a year ago...how could that not affect sales??

If by "less than a year ago" you mean "more than two years ago," then yes, you're correct.

donny2112

ethelred said:

So the only worthy comparison point is to the one game that started better? Interesting.

>60% of the initial shipment sold. This is not some "no one bought it" bomb. Would it have been nice for it to have done better, especially considering the extra work (outside of the game engine itself?) that went into it? Sure. However, saying that it did less than FFIIIDS and therefore was "not good" is too pessimistic, in my opinion.

Mr. Pointy said:
FFIV will probably crawl to 700k, which is about as much as Crisis Core did LTD. I don't think Square will be unhappy.

I expect it to sell about the same as Crisis Core when it's done.

jgwhiteus

ethelred said:
I'm well aware of the numbers. Comparing this full remake to straight ports is kinda dumb, to be honest.

Well, the previous ports were somewhat "enhanced" (CG movies, additional levels and weapons) to justify their re-release value, but of course nothing on this scale. Though reusing the basic FFIII engine probably cut down costs a lot.

But I think all those changes (3D engine, VA, etc.) were necessary to reach even this level of sales and justify it to consumers. If it were another port, sales would probably be far lower.

And for why it should sell notably better than previous re-releases/ports - VA, new gameplay mechanics, character conversations, etc. are nice "touches" but aren't the sort of thing that would sell it on its own. Probably the biggest reason is the move to 3D with better graphics, but I thought we'd established that Japan wasn't really an "OMG 3D graphics" sort of place (and that 2D games sold from about equally well to much, much better).

ethelred said:
The only real comparison point there is FFIII and it's underperforming that by a lot.

Yep. That's the only thing that matters. FFIVre was the far more ambitious undertaking and the more popular game. Even if the quantity of prior releases should have mitigated my expectations (I disagree with this by the way), surely no one expected that it would drop this significantly in comparison to FF3.

botticus

ethelred said:

Comparing it to previous iterations is dumb, yet comparing it only to a game never before revisited isn't? Looking at it in context, it is understandably doing worse than the latter, and better than the former (which is good, since as you have mentioned, more work was put into it).

Top Bottom