• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 31 July - 6 August

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I laughed.

Glad to see that NSMB will easily sell 3M.. for a slight moment there I was worried when people were already predicting it when it debuted. Never again shall I doubt Nintendo's magical cult powers.

GoldenEye 007 said:
I guess with Command, the controls were reportedly pretty good. So, what makes this Starfox so bad? Is it just the mission style again? More stuff added than necessary? Also, what about the multiplayer aspects of the game?

I never said anything about Command being bad, haven't played it yet. It just the last 2 Starfox games were so poor, that people are naturally cagey about this new effort. Unfortunately, I don't think we've had any impressions of it on here, anyone actually pick it up?

cae

Mrbob said:
What the heck is Rhythm Tengoku?

Rhythm.gif

Or this.

Wink

That's what you get for
a) letting Rare make an adventure game and at some point paint the Starfox franchise over it.
b) giving Assault away to Namco

Not even the DS in Japan can save Starfox. It's over for this franchise (unless Nintendo themselves makes a kickass Starwiing).

Edit: Just watched the Rhythm Tengoku vids and HOLY SHIT. Do I need to import or will it be localized?

bluemax

Banned
How import friendly is Rhythm Tengoku? I'm going to order MMZ2 this week since it's cheap, but I'm tempted to go in on Rhythm Tengoku if it's reasonably easy to get into.

I can read Japanese, but my comprehension is so so.

cae

Very friendly. It only has 2 or 3 stages that depend on some Japanese. The two i remember now are migi-hidari (left-right, don't remember which one is which one) and 3 different syllables (ka, ne, ko/yo) for 3 different patterns.

I don't really think this could get a local release. Lots of japanese text, lyrics, style, folk, etc.

mutsu

bluemax said:
How import friendly is Rhythm Tengoku? I'm going to order MMZ2 this week since it's cheap, but I'm tempted to go in on Rhythm Tengoku if it's reasonably easy to get into.

I can read Japanese, but my comprehension is so so.

I remember people said it's fairly import friendly. There are occasional instructions in Japanese, but most minigames will do without any Japanese knownledge.

mutsu said:
I remember people said it's fairly import friendly. There are occasional instructions in Japanese, but most minigames will do without any Japanese knownledge.
Rhythm Tengoku is one of those games where if you care enough, you can figure out what you're supposed to be doing even if you don't understand the verbal instructions. There's a game, for example, with a drill instructor telling you to march in place, stop, turn left, turn right. But even if you don't know Japanese, you'll eventually learn which command is which. And most games don't have this stuff.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chibbi Brady said:
The Starfox name has been completely run into the ground. I remember both Adventures and Assault sold pretty well on the GC, definitely a case of twice bitten, stay the feck away from anything with Starfox in the title.

No, Adventures sold well. Assault sold like ass. (under 300k if I remember correctly)

Also, it seems all over for Mario. :(

Chibbi Brady said:
I never said anything about Command being bad, haven't played it yet. It just the last 2 Starfox games were so poor, that people are naturally cagey about this new effort. Unfortunately, I don't think we've had any impressions of it on here, anyone actually pick it up?
Oh. Yeah, I'm looking for some definitive answers myself. Control-wise, it sounded great from the stuff I've read, but I just want to know about other parts of the package.

cvxfreak

wonderfuldays said:
Bandai wins!:)

No kidding. They know which properties go best for each portable and didn't do something retarded like bring Tamagotchi remakes to PSP or Tekken 5 to DS. Capcom's done well with Monster Hunter Portable, but their other efforts haven't done that well.

Lapsed

Banned
Oblivion said:
I just noticed that AC is further out of the top 10. :(

Yes. It's all over for DS. PSP will dominate! Wii will get canceled. Nintendo goes third party. Is there anything else I can add to the doom and gloom? :)

I hope the success of NSMB has Nintendo make a 2D console Mario game. I want more 2D Mario!

...and Kid Icarus.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
No kidding. They know which properties go best for each portable and didn't do something retarded like bring Tamagotchi remakes to PSP or Tekken 5 to DS. Capcom's done well with Monster Hunter Portable, but their other efforts haven't done that well.

Yup. I said that in the last MC thread, too -- between Gundam, Digimon, Tamagotchi, Tales, and on and on, Namco Bandai's just been doing a really great job overall with both systems. A bit surprising that they switched gears after Tempest's development and have seemingly decided to go balls out with Tales on the PSP, but I guess we'll soon see if that was the right decision, too.

It's good for them, though not so great for me. I hate pretty much every property they've been putting on the DS, Tempest aside (taking into account the cancellation of Baten Kaitos).

Oblivion

ethelred said:
It's good for them, though not so great for me. I hate pretty much every property they've been putting on the DS, Tempest aside (taking into account the cancellation of Baten Kaitos).

Don't worry. Once Namco's accountants realize they're actually successful on the DS, they'll divert everything to the PSP.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PA PA PA PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCH

i love the 7th remix stage

expect a minor animal crossing revival next week as they started another cm campaign recently

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oblivion said:
Don't worry. Once Namco's accountants realize they're actually successful on the DS, they'll divert everything to the PSP and put sales expectation at 10 times higher than actual sales.

Fixed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oblivion said:
Don't worry. Once Namco's accountants realize they're actually successful on the DS, they'll divert everything to the PSP.
Ridge Racer and Tales of Eternia say otherwise. It all depends on how RR2 and the other tales ports do now.

sp0rsk said:
expect a minor animal crossing revival next week as they started another cm campaign recently

(soothing music)

さあ、夏と言えば... やっぱり、動物の森。

爽やかな感じ。Happy refresh Animal life.

GoldenEye 007 said:
Oh. Yeah, I'm looking for some definitive answers myself. Control-wise, it sounded great from the stuff I've read, but I just want to know about other parts of the package.
A few people on here do have StarFox and have written a sentence or two about the game, but nobody has gone into great detail. Anyway, personally I think flying with the touchscreen is great, but there are slight control problems when it comes to boosting, breaking and rolling, as by performing these moves, your flight path is thrown off course.

So, the game boils down to firstly a turn based section, where you choose a path for your craft on the over head map, if one of your ships meets an enemy there's a battle. If any of the enemies reach your base, it's game over... this becomes quite tactical.

When a battle occurs, there are a few variations:

-Fly around a square arena, shooting down randomly moving enemies.
-Fly around a square arena, shooting down a randomly moving enemy (which is armored)
-Fly around a square arena, shooting down randomly moving enemies but avoiding a lazer beam.
-Fly around a square arena, shooting at a boss.
-Fly around a square arena, shooting down StarWolf.
-Fly in a straightline, through speed-up rings, to catch up with a missile and shoot it down.

I played the game for around 5 hours I think, and that's all I ever did.

On the other hand, multiplayer is FOCKING ALL LEVELS OF AWESOMENESS

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
neo2046 said:
[OT]

wow! really love this :D
are there any more Rhythm Tengoku gif ?

Thanks! Only got this one but I can make a custom gif if you want one

speedpop said:
Holy shit I just discovered the drum kit in Tengoku. My life is now complete.

The drumming minigame needs to be a Wii game. Seriously. They already have a drumming tech demo...just make it like the minigame and release it!

cae

sp0rsk said:
i love the 7th remix stage

6th remix > *

speedpop said:
Holy shit I just discovered the drum kit in Tengoku. My life is now complete.

The drumming minigame is amazing and gets unbelievably hard.
BTW, in the Studio mode, you can save your own drumming sessions on top of the game's main songs. But when you choose drums, there are like 20 other options below that i got locked. Does someone know what are these options/how to unlock them?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
HeadsUpSevenUp said:
Is there a thread for all this Rhythm Tengoku spooge? 'cuz this game deserves it.

I played the game this morning and I could'nt get past this bit when it beeps and you have to tap with it? ... I have no idea what to do help me GAF :lol

marvelharvey said:
I see. Thanks for the writeup. Seems unconventional, but that'll be fine. As long as the multiplayer is good, I'm happy. And from your impressions, it is pretty good. So, I guess for me, all is right in the StarFox world. Well, for the most part. I'd still prefer the standard approach to the singleplayer missions, but I'll see if I get used to the Command style. Another DS game to buy, though...

cvxfreak said:
1. (PSP, Bandai Namco) SD Gundam G Generation Portable - 155,634

XX. 360 Bomberman Act:Zero - 2594
XX. PSP Every Extend Extra - 2458

PSP #1 wtf, world is ending? Bomberman :'(. EEE :'(. Nice legs on Ds games all around. Starfox command weak start, will it pull a MPH?

apujanata

Will PSP keep up their H/W increase next week ? Hopefully.

Will Gundam keep their #1 spot next week ? Most probably not. Still, it is a good first week sales for Gundam.

AniHawk

Starfox sucks ass now. EAD needs to take it back and give it a SF64 style treatment for Wii. On rails. **** the rest.

Oblivion

Shard said:
Hmmm, I guess Amitron took the night off or something.

Careful, I hear if you say it 3 times, he'll appear.

AniHawk said:
Starfox sucks ass now. EAD needs to take it back and give it a SF64 style treatment for Wii. On rails. **** the rest.

I don't think it's a matter of developer, just stupid direction.

Amir0x

Banned
Archie said:
Amir0x will be here soon enough.

I wasn't ever pimping Every Extend Extra - free PC games shouldn't be pay 50 dollar games, not ever, not on any system.

P.S. I'm heeeeere.

Top Bottom