• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

PantherLotus said:
Wait.

Did you say that the Wii has two million sellers at the same point in its life cycle that the PS2 had none?
Well, GameCube had one far earlier than PS2, too, but yeah. Or at least Wii has one, if we count Wii Play as a controller with a bonus.
PantherLotus said:
I'm not convinced that Mario Galaxy will overcome the Mario Sunshine after-effects. It's still Mario-in-3D, and I don't believe it's going to be as huge sales-wise as people think that it will be. I put it in the same class as Twilight Princess as far as sales expectations go.
If SMG's tie ratio to the console is half of what SMS's was in late 2002, it should still sell better and pass a million.

Cheesemeister said:
Final Fantasy II is being released on the PSP this week. To illustrate its position in relation to the rest of the series, here's a Venn diagram...

ff-venn.gif

You forgot Wii.

mclem

TheKingsCrown said:
Can we please determine a sales number that is officially "failing", because selling 400k of a game might seem like a failure compared to New Super Mario Bros., but was it a profitable game to make?

I hope this point hasn't been made, but I'm staring somewhat bleary-eyed at the screen before bed and I noticed something about this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Wii's userbase in Japan is a bit shy of 2M units, correct?

400k sales are therefore 20% of the userbase.

Sounds good enough to me.

mclem

Cheesemeister said:
Final Fantasy II is being released on the PSP this week. To illustrate its position in relation to the rest of the series, here's a Venn diagram...

ff-venn.gif

Personally I'd put the GBA circle wholly inside the DS circle to represent backwards compatability. Same with the PS1/2/3, but that nesting makes my brain hurt.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
PantherLotus said:
Cellphones are the third most important invention/evolution of the 2nd half of the 21st century, after the credit/debit card and the internet. Do not underestimate the power of instant money, information, and communication...
I don't doubt it, I'm just sick of people bugging me over trivial shit all the time.

Sharp

I'm confused by some of the assertions in this thread. Is Zelda:TP suddenly not a megaseller? Not in Japan, but worldwide it did (and is still doing!) pretty incredible numbers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Sharp said:
I'm confused by some of the assertions in this thread. Is Zelda:TP suddenly not a megaseller? Not in Japan, but worldwide it did (and is still doing!) pretty incredible numbers.
Yes it did great WW (shipped 4.59 million through March for the GCN+Wii) but of that only 630K was shipped in Japan.

Innotech

Banned
mclem said:
I hope this point hasn't been made, but I'm staring somewhat bleary-eyed at the screen before bed and I noticed something about this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Wii's userbase in Japan is a bit shy of 2M units, correct?

400k sales are therefore 20% of the userbase.

Sounds good enough to me.
the wii is at 2.7 m units in Japan now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sharp said:

Actually, it's an above-average seller that sells primarily to the same exact people for the since LttP. While many Nintendo fans (and nintendo trolls) point to it as the saving grace of Nintendo, the series itself rarely represents the high-water mark in anything, be it graphics, gameplay, or especially, sales.

A million units is great for ANY series, even Zelda.

(in Japan)

===========

JJ:
You make an EXCELLENT point about tie-ratio and SMG sales that I hadn't even considered. Good stuff.

mclem:
Good point. Your numbers are off (400,000/2,500,000=15%), but still. 1/5 of 2.6 mil would be 520k (half a million!).

Basically, Nintendo will discover with the Wii what they've already discovered with the DS, and what Sony's third parties already discovered on the previous PS systems--if you hit critical mass (20 million) before your competition...even shovelware can sell millions.

Imagine, if 50% of the PS2 sales (lets say 50 million) were even remotely legitimate (not replacements or 2nd systems) and still buying games, and only 5% of them bought your product...that's 2.5 million in sales.

Now imagine getting 50% of your userbase to buy one of your products on your market dominate hardware. It's disgusting how much money you could make on a compelling but not necessarily high-budget entry. (Tetris, Sims, MySpace, etc.)

Innotech

Banned
PantherLotus said:
If you're going to correct people, at least have the right number.

(2,604,964)
well that was from Media create last week, but another week has started so its probably a bit closer to 2.7m, assuming the rate continues this week. Not QUITE 2.7m but close enough.

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
Protip: ethelred can't be lousy at AniHawking if people actually take notice and respond.
Well, true enough. I admit, though, I think I regret saying what I did right over here. (Yeah, I said Ami rather than Ani, but still.) Maybe I underrated seriousness, because now I miss it. >_>

cvxfreak said:
Protip: ethelred can't be lousy at AniHawking if people actually take notice and respond.
True. But he also sort of creeped into the stupid argument poster of the week area for a couple of posts earlier. I've been away from my computer all day so I haven't really seen if he took it anywhere though. For all I know he could have creeped back towards Anihawk's direction since.

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
Well, true enough. I admit, though, I think I regret saying what I did right over here. (Yeah, I said Ami rather than Ani, but still.) Maybe I underrated seriousness, because now I miss it. >_>

Thanks, I was actually looking for that thread the other day. :lol

mclem

Innotech said:
the wii is at 2.7 m units in Japan now.
PantherLotus said:
Good point. Your numbers are off (400,000/2,500,000=15%), but still. 1/5 of 2.6 mil would be 520k (half a million!).
Yeah, sorry. Like I said, it was late. I knew the Wii was approaching *some* million milestone that it was looking to hit before the PS3 hits 1M, but my lack-of-sleep-addled brain got the wrong one.

swerve

Anecdotal bulletin: DS and Wii are both notably more present at retail since yesterday in the Osaka/Kyoto area. Either shipments are up in Japan, or demand is slowing a bit (although every shop that has them in is still shouting about it loudly, with 'won't be here long' added to the end).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
swerve said:
Anecdotal bulletin: DS and Wii are both notably more present at retail since yesterday in the Osaka/Kyoto area. Either shipments are up in Japan, or demand is slowing a bit (although every shop that has them in is still shouting about it loudly, with 'won't be here long' added to the end).

From Vinnk's reports it does seem like the DS are readily available the last 2-3 weeks.
Interesting about the Wii- maybe Japan is going to consistently see higher shipments now?

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
They did not sell.
They were also developed by the LA studio iirc, which got closed down. Maybe Square should start up another American studio for PC/360 ports?

Kafel

Banned
C.T. said:
Some forget that wii sales won't stagnate when SMG will be released.

Some forget that we still can't notice any impact by games on Wii hardware since the console has always been sold out.

Kafel said:
Some forget that we still can't notice any impact by games on Wii hardware since the console has always been sold out.
This, although convoluted since it does not tell us anything, is really a very good point.

The Wii...has always been sold out :lol :lol

I mean come on people, THINK about that for a second....it is ****ing June and the Wii has always been sold out

AdmiralViscen said:
SNES vs Genesis wasn't close worldwide, only in the US. ~50M vs ~30M WW.

Well that had a lot to do with Sega dumping the Genesis/MegaDrive way too early. As far as I'm aware the Mega Drive came out on top in Europe, in the UK at least it seemed like it utterly dominated.

Avrum

So where are PS3 sales at overall now that we're in 900k territory in Japan? I know from April NPD it was something like 1.3 million in North America, and then 1 million for Europe and Australia combined.

But that numbers is only like 3.2 million right? And I remember Sony stating they sold 3.6 million through March 31st in their fiscal report. I know I'm missing something, so what are the numbers at this point?

schuelma

Avrum said:
So where are PS3 sales at overall now that we're in 900k territory in Japan? I know from April NPD it was something like 1.3 million in North America, and then 1 million for Europe and Australia combined.

But that numbers is only like 3.2 million right? And I remember Sony stating they sold 3.6 million through March 31st in their fiscal report. I know I'm missing something, so what are the numbers at this point?

I have PS3 at almost 3.3M.

Without hard numbers for 360 and Wii, I have 360 at 9.2M and Wii at almost 7.5M (not including May NPD's).

dyls

TheKingsCrown said:
This, although convoluted since it does not tell us anything, is really a very good point.

The Wii...has always been sold out :lol :lol

I mean come on people, THINK about that for a second....it is ****ing June and the Wii has always been sold out

Even more amazing is that it is ****ing June and the Wii has always been sold out in three continents. Many countries with completely disparate tastes and habits and yet this product has been in exceptionally high demand in all of them. I can't think of another product that was so immediately popular the world over and that didn't seem to flag in any way over 6+ months.

Avrum

I'm thinking I should just delete my notepad files. I usually don't track numbers myself but I've been going around trying to compile the latest data I could so I could try to keep up and none of the numbers make any sense. I'm also a member on Nsider and argued the point that with Sony's March fiscal report along with information after the fact, they were closing in on 4 million, now I learn that is wrong. My Wii data isn't even at 7 million, but 360 is pretty close at just over 9.1 million.

So if Sony is only at 3.3, where did the other 3 million come from? I would assume shipped but apparently that is where their 5.5 million number comes from. And I don't even know where to begin where I went wrong with Wii.

Avrum said:
So if Sony is only at 3.3, where did the other 3 million come from? I would assume shipped but apparently that is where their 5.5 million number comes from.
Yeah. Shipped. If they keep manufacturing at full speed, eventually, they'll probably have to ship to the New Mexico desert. Kinda like ET.

678m2ck.jpg

Jokeropia

Avrum said:
So if Sony is only at 3.3, where did the other 3 million come from? I would assume shipped but apparently that is where their 5.5 million number comes from.
5.5 million production shipments. (Shipped to warehouses.)
3.6 million regular shipments. (Sold to retailers.)

Wiitard

Banned
bmf said:
Yeah. Shipped. If they keep manufacturing at full speed, eventually, they'll probably have to ship to the New Mexico desert. Kinda like ET.

Seems to me that the pile of unsold PS3 maybe the only thing standing on the way of Stringer pulling the plug on the project.

Wiitard said:
Seems to me that the pile of unsold PS3 maybe the only thing standing on the way of Stringer pulling the plug on the project.
I have trouble arguing with that idea. Most estimates that I see say that the PS3 is at 3.3 million, and is selling about 150k per month worldwide, TOPS. I think we can assume that it will stay that low through the end of October. The questions, and the really important questions at this point are:

How small of a Christmas will they have?

and

How small will it have to be for Stringer to pull the plug?

Of course the other bit is, How funny will the PS3 forums be at that point?

:lol :lol

AniHawk

I don't see Stringer pulling their plug on the PS3. While it's a failure as a gaming system, it's a success as a BluRay player.

schuelma

bmf said:
PS3 is at 3.3 million, and is selling about 150k per month worldwide, TOPS. I think we can assume that it will stay that low through the end of October.

I think its higher than 150K- about 90K N.A, 40K Japan, and probably 75-100K in PAL regions.

Wiitard

Banned
bmf said:
I have trouble arguing with that idea. Most estimates that I see say that the PS3 is at 3.3 million, and is selling about 150k per month worldwide, TOPS. I think we can assume that it will stay that low through the end of October. The questions, and the really important questions at this point are:

How small of a Christmas will they have?

and

How small will it have to be for Stringer to pull the plug?

Of course the other bit is, How funny will the PS3 forums be at that point?

:lol :lol

My honest opinion is that the plug should have been pulled a couple of months ago.

Or rather, instead of making big announcment and all that, just shift all available resourses to PS2 and PSP support and try to get the PS3 games finished as soon as possible or just ax them.

AniHawk said:
I don't see Stringer pulling their plug on the PS3. While it's a failure as a gaming system, it's a success as a BluRay player.

Really? The installed base has already tipped the balance in Blu-Ray's favor. But what does a marginal PS3 sold adds? Every PS3 sold in Japan or US includes a $150-250 gift to the new consumer. Do you really see any evidence pointing out to the new US or Japanese consumers being worth this bribe?

schuelma

Jammy said:
Still pathetic either way you look at it.

Yeah I know.....but its not quite as dire as 150K a month, and it will pick up in the Fall I would imagine.

Sharp

Wiitard said:
My honest opinion is that the plug should have been pulled a couple of months ago.

Or rather, instead of making big announcment and all that, just shift all available resourses to PS2 and PSP support and try to get the PS3 games finished as soon as possible or just ax them.
You'd like that, wouldn't you. Would you rather that Nintendo had axed the N64 so we never saw Zelda:OoT? Beause if you would you are not my friend.

Wiitard

Banned
Sharp said:
You'd like that, wouldn't you. Would you rather that Nintendo had axed the N64 so we never saw Zelda:OoT? Beause if you would you are not my friend.

Why should Nintendo have axed the profit making N64?

I was talking from a business perspective. Is axing of PS3 bad for gaming? Probably. There is a possibility that supporting the PS3 till the end would make Sony withdrawl more likely, but I don't feel it's a terribly important effect.

Top Bottom