• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

Izzy

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
A handheld dominant Japanese market.

We'll see how this fall plays out, but the market might be taking a huge shift right now and consoles are going to come up the losers.

If Wii sales persist at this 20,000 unit region after the Holidays and PS3 sales stay as low as they are, DS and PSP leading the market I'd say it's almost certain that handhelds will become the largest Japanese market. I'd say it's likely with DS nearing the 20 million mark.

We be seeing some fun times ahead methinks.

I think you might be onto someting. Handheld only announcements like the recent Kingdom Hearts one certainly bode well for you theory. Personally, I think we'll see developers shift in a big way towards the handheld development.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Izzy said:
Wii numbers are disappointingly low considering PSP used to sell in the 30-40k bracket - and usually without games.
But next week figures should be much improved with the launch of Strikers and Katana.

Err...hasn't the PSP been selling substantially below that recently? Or did I miss your point?

Izzy

Banned
WOW (week over week) changes:

PSP 95,487 ← 15,564 (+514%)
DSL 79,974 ← 77,488   (+3%)
Wii  26,181 ← 29,088 (-10%)
PS2 13,128 ← 13,360  (-1%)
PS3 13,101 ← 13,248  (-1%)
360  1,243 ←  1,286  (-3%)

Javaman

Saitou said:
......holy shit.

This is megaton, nay, tinfoil-hat worthy.
There is no doubt in my mind Microsoft has a hand in this.

Maybe. Then again it's just a small drop in the bucket for the company (like 0.1%) of the total EA value. I was just browsing around bored and came across it when digging through EA's stock info. Still kinda strange.

AniHawk said:
Also when it doesn't have any games and has a crappy controller that has to be redone to be brought up to the previous gen's standards without any external changes made in a decade.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Saitou said:
No company just gives away twenty-fucking-two MILLION dollars in shares, no matter the reason.

Peter has been naughty..in a good way.

Saitou

Banned
Javaman said:
Maybe. Then again it's just a small drop in the bucket for the company (like 0.1%) of the total EA value. I was just browsing around bored and came across it when digging through EA's stock info. Still kinda strange.
No company just gives away twenty-fucking-two MILLION dollars in shares, no matter the reason.

jesusraz

A quick translation of 31-50:

31 DS General Knowledge Training Nintendo
32 DS English Training Nintendo
33 360 Musou OROCHI Koei
34 DS SD Gundam G Generation Cross Drive Bandai Namco
35 DS Gundam Mah-jong +Z Bandai Namco
36 DS Face Training Nintendo
37 PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd Capcom
38 DS Pokémon Diamond Pokémon Company
39 DS Itadaki Street DS Square Enix
40 DS English Inspection Training IE institute
41 DS Summon Night Banpresto
42 DS Pokémon Pearl Pokémon Company
43 DS Professor Layton and the Curious Village Level 5
44 DS Yoshi's Island DS Nintendo
45 PS2 Musou 2 (PlayStation 2 the Best) Koei
46 PS2 Power Pro Baseball 14 KONAMI
47 DS Gyakuten Saiban 2 Capcom
48 DS Diary of Mamegomaho TDK Core
49 PSP Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories Capcom
50 PS2 Final Fantasy XII International Square Enix

Wii comparisons: At 42 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 171.4 weeks (December 21, 2004), where GBA was at 36.9 weeks (December 1, 2001), where DS was at 49.8 weeks (November 11, 2005), where PS2 was at 54.6 weeks (March 14, 2001), and where PSP was at 80.5 weeks (June 21, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 45 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.1 weeks (April 2, 2000), where PSP was at 17.2 weeks (April 4, 2005), where GCN was at 20.3 weeks (January 29, 2002), and where Wii was at 6.3 weeks (January 9, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 45.6 / 54.4, bringing the total shares to 76.3 / 23.7. This reversal in PSP's favor brings the total shares back to where they were the week of June 16. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 860.7 weeks (March 16, 2024) at ~88.2 million apiece. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this rate, it would catch up in 139.7 weeks (May 21, 2010).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 33.3 / 66.7, PS3's best share since the week of March 5 during Gundabump. This brings the total shares to 24.3 / 75.7. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 184.7 weeks (April 1, 2011).

PSP vs Wii: Of course, at this week's rates Wii never catches up to PSP. Or as the calculations say, it catches up in -35.3 weeks (January 13, 2007).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 20.6 weeks (February 6, 2008) at ~21.0 million apiece.

Thanks to recent low weeks, DS 2007 has fallen behind DS 2006 through week 37.

At week 37, Nintendo reaches 8 million YTD. Last year it took until week 49.

So the thing of most interest to me right now is the Wii dip, and whether this means Wii might not pass GCN's LTD within one year as most of us had been assuming it would. It's certainly becoming more difficult, but I think is still possible. I'm going to go with Famitsu numbers here since as I've said before it seems to match better with Nintendo's shipment numbers. To pretend it's for MC's couple-hundred-thousand-higher total, though, add 20K to each week.

Wii needs another ~520K in 11 remaining Famitsu weeks, averaging ~47K a week. I'll assume this low period will continue for a while, so alternately it could be achieved by something like...

2007-09-10: 30K
2007-09-17: 30K
2007-09-24: 30K
2007-10-01: 30K
2007-10-08: 30K
2007-10-15: 30K
2007-10-22: 30K
2007-10-29: 100K
2007-11-05: 80K
2007-11-12: 60K
2007-11-19: 80K

In short, as long as Super Mario Galaxy bumps things back up and they don't heavily dip back down before SSBB, it can pretty much make up for a few slow months.

brokenwatch said:
Has the 360 ever gone under 1000?
According to MC the week of 2006-09-11 it hit 928. Famitsu has it below 1K that week and the one before.
tanod said:
So how long has it been since DS was under 100k?
One week.
tanod said:
Can I get the non-smart ass answer, plz?
Okay, okay. Before this recent dip, the last time was the week of March 26, 2007.
Izzy said:
Wii numbers are disappointingly low considering PSP used to sell in the 30-40k bracket - and usually without games.
In its first year, PSP was below 30K 24 times. More specifically, it was lower than this week's Wii sales 18 times.

Tabris

Wii and DS sales are horrible, a trend I hope continues continuely to even the market and lessen the non-game trend.

So while I thought this week was going to be ps3 ffvii remake week to place ps3 into a position where it can start getting great buzz to start selling some more consoles, I will settle with PSP selling very well and changing the direction (or as you would say, the tide) and ratios of the handheld market. This is a trend that will continue, especially with the PSP Lite.

PS3 Spring 2008 is where the buzz will be and where you will get announcements like FFVII remake. It's probabaly too early for that right now, but expect 2008 to be the year where PS3 starts breaking the 50k/weekly mark and gets on the path to pass the Wii.

Crisis Core is doing great of course and will sell 1 million copies in under 3 months.

All in all, the future is looking good for the good guys!

Tabris said:
Wii and DS sales are horrible, a trend I hope continues continuely to even the market and lessen the non-game trend.

Leaving aside the rest of your descent into full-blown delusion and insanity, I would like to question you on the logic of calling the sales of a system that sold 70K+ units in one week 'horrible'.

Tabris

Pureauthor said:
Leaving aside the rest of your descent into full-blown delusion and insanity, I would like to question you on the logic of calling the sales of a system that sold 70K+ units in one week 'horrible'.

It's all proportional. DS is expected to do 100k+ sales and it's not hitting even close to it's normal numbers anymore. It's doing horrible in relation to regular sales.

Raw64life said:
PSP 95,487
DSL 79,974
Wii 26,181
PS2 13,128
PS3 13,101
Xbox360 1,243
GBM 714
GBASP 122
GC 97
DS 15
GBA 0

Only 28.5% of Nintendo's console's are successful this week. That's like 360 hardware failure level bad

It was a good run

schuelma

Tabris said:
It's all proportional. DS is expected to do 100k+ sales and it's not hitting even close to it's normal numbers anymore. It's doing horrible in relation to regular sales.

Jesus. Aren't you banned from these threads?

ZeoVGM

Banned
llTll said:
Wii sales are going down in frighting way. is it because of the lack of new games ? or people in japan are starting to wake up again ?

I would love for you to explain that.

Keio

For a Finer World
I'd love to have a couple of Iraqi Information Minister gifs handy. They've not been needed in a while, but luckily a blip brings out all the fanboys...

This is the moment when the tide turns! Super Mario Sunshine will change everything!

We've all seen this before.

Now Wait until... Spring 2008!

Tabris said:

'In relation to itself' to means nothing. Otherwise we could claim that any system is doing well 'because it's selling within the boundaries of what we expect it to sell'.

A system's sales are good or bad on an objective basis. The DS sales are phenomenal, and that it failed to achieve a 100K+ week once does not suddenly make selling seventy thousand units a week a bad thing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tabris said:

You really are a moron.

There's no fucking way you're serious.

So while I thought this week was going to be ps3 ffvii remake week

That's because you're stupid.

It's been said TIME AND TIME AGAIN there is no FF7 remake. It's fanboy delusions. People WANT one. Doesn't mean there is one. And it's HIGHLY likely that they're not even working on one.

Jiggy

Tabris said:
Yes, Tabris. Yes.

:|

Saitou

Banned
Tabris.

Tabris, Tabris, Tabris.

Tabris.

You have no idea how I desperately, DESPERATELY want to believe you are a joke character.

Odysseus

Banned
Tabris said:

good thing i bought one this week, otherwise nintendo would be hurting.

form a line, nintendo fans, thank me one at a time.

Tabris

OK, maybe doing horrible is the wrong word for the DS (great word for the Wii) but a decline in sales by quite a bit from their previous consistently strong sales. That can all be agreed on, correct?

schuelma

Tabris said:
OK, maybe doing horrible is the wrong word for the DS (great word for the Wii) but a decline in sales by quite a bit from their previous consistently strong sales. That can all be agreed on, correct?

NEARLY 80K IS EFFING PHENOMENAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.

Eteric Rice

Tabris said:

My God, get out.

Aren't you NOT supposed to be posting here, anyway?

Christopher

omg rite said:
You really are a moron.

There's no fucking way you're serious.

That's because you're stupid.

It's been said TIME AND TIME AGAIN there is no FF7 remake. It's fanboy delusions. People WANT one. Doesn't mean there is one. And it's HIGHLY likely that they're not even working on one.

two insults in one post? :lol videogames are fucking serious business dude.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Tabris said:

Your an idiot, I think we can agree upon that. GTFO out the Media Create thread, simple.

schuelma

Odysseus said:
if you can't enjoy the irony of such a mistake, you have no soul.

In my own clumsy way I was trying to enjoy it. ;)

VOOK

Pureauthor said:
I really, really love it when people do this.

Yeah making up for something else right? Probably own a F-250 and a Jet. Having to pick on people for their grammar is hilarious and super cool right?

VOOK said:
Yeah making up for something else right? Probably own a F-250 and a Jet. Having to pick on people for their grammar is hilarious and super cool right?

No, but if you want to call someone an idiot, make sure you don't look like one yourself. I would've thought this would be fundamental.

Jiggy

Tabris logic:

PSP - Was selling badly, but will build momentum now that it has Crisis Core and a redesign
PS3 - Is selling badly, but will build momentum once it gets the mythical FFVII remake
DS - Is selling superbly albeit less superbly than before, and is in trouble in Japan despite Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX on the horizon

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's been turning into a handheld dominant gaming industry for awhile and wouldn't surprise me in the least if the consoles don't break away and become the leaders. I've got more DS games than any other console I've ever owned, a statistic I laughed madly at with my girlfriend and even she joined in the riot stating that she's only ever owned DS games.

It's not more so that I can pick up and play the DS on the public transport or in between shifts at work (something of which I haven't done either with), but it's more about being able to kick back on the futon, on the lounge, on the bed, and race around a maze running away from that monstrous FOE. That and my uneven nightly ritual of playing through Phoenix Wright before I fall asleep.

As for the PSP rise (and eventual Icarus style fall from grace next week or the week after), it's great to see Tabris try and shoot himself in the foot more than once again instead of joining in to shit out his few silly sentences and fuck off.

VOOK

Pureauthor said:
No, but if you want to call someone an idiot, make sure you don't look like one yourself. I would've thought this would be fundamental.

Stealth editing another good tact too? How about we just go back calling Tabris names, after all he deserves it.

Top Bottom