• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9 - 15 Oct

moku said:
Let me ask you a question, with a dash of civility;

Had there been 1million copies of the game produced, and launched on day one, and a continued supply of the game, how many copies do you think would have been sold up to this date?

The same? More?
Exactly.

The game will reach 1mil by the end of the year. SE certainly won't make the same mistakes with the next big DS Final Fantasy game; they'll release it when there are enough carts, and no Pokemon beast waiting in the wing.

Juice

FFIII was really poorly timed on SE's part. They could have ridden the Pokeman's coattails, but instead they positioned themselves to be forgotten about two weeks after launch AND undershipped.

Ideally, the game should have released with a million units in late November, but hindsight's 20/20. I agree with PD that they'll correct later, but it might leave a slightly bitter taste in SE's mouth.

j/k on that last part, i can't believe the DS is making us act like a remake for a portable selling ONLY 800,000 is somehow a bad thing. jesus, two years ago nothing on the top ten was breaking 10,000 weekly

Juice said:
j/k on that last part, i can't believe the DS is making us act like a remake for a portable selling ONLY 800,000 is somehow a bad thing. jesus, two years ago nothing on the top ten was breaking 10,000 weekly

QFT. Rereading some of the old Media Create threads, what's 'normal' now and what was 'normal' then was practically worlds apart.

Mato

Juice said:
FFIII was really poorly timed on SE's part. They could have ridden the Pokeman's coattails, but instead they positioned themselves to be forgotten about two weeks after launch AND undershipped.

Ideally, the game should have released with a million units in late November, but hindsight's 20/20. I agree with PD that they'll correct later, but it might leave a slightly bitter taste in SE's mouth.

Well it's more of a remake of an old story rather than a remake of the original game, if you know what I mean. I doubt SE will be bitter about the sales though.

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
I said it'd get close to 1 million at best. :rock
Actually, you said it wouldn't pass a million iirc, due mainly to being a 3rd party DS game... you never said close to a millio, indeed you later implied under 750k with a DQM GBC comparison. Most were guessing 1-1.5 million and you said that was too high... we'll see where it ends up though. I'm betting around 1.2-1.4m lifetime, in line with the Famicom original. I thought it'd come in a bit higher originally, but the bad timing with shortages probably stunted it's potnetial... still, the thing's going to be moving 20-40k weekly until January.

fresquito said:
It's such a bizarre world when a console is having a costant 120+ weekly sales for so long, yet people is hungry for more. Who've had thought a year and half ago...

I usually post in an italian board, on december 2005 i said "at this rate i think DS can have 12 million sellers by end of 2006"

Someone said me "only a fanboy like you can say this kind of thing"...

11 months later i will have my revenge :lol

enishi

Axord said:
Well, they could have decided to build a new factory 6 months ago and it is possible--perhaps likely-- that it still wouldn't be operational by now. Such things are expensive, complex and take time.

Expansion like that is also a huge commitment, especailly considering Japanese land prices and staff retention practices.

I think Nintendo have all their DS made in China. But still, plans on setting up new production lines can take more than half a year to be ready. If Iwata had a time machine, he could predict the trend in 2004 and set up 10 more factories...

donny2112

jett said:
Where are those that said FF3DS would reach 1.5-2 million units? :lol

If Square-Enix hadn't incredibly underestimated demand (I knew there'd be sellouts when the first week's order number was posted), I am fully confident it would be well over 1 million on its way to 2 million by now. It might help to think before making insulting statements to others. ;)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Earthstrike said:
Hardware, and man this thread its only 3 pages long... Its kinda like something is missing?

Where's the hardware numbers?

And the stupid debate over which numbers are valid, how those were come by, and who thinks what of whom is what is missing. Now its just another short weekly thread. GAF what have you done?!

P90

PantherLotus said:
And the stupid debate over which numbers are valid, how those were come by, and who thinks what of whom is what is missing.

This is a welcome change. Thanks mods. :)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Mato said:
A few years back, when Nintendo was talking about expanding that market and reaching to the masses, I personally was getting flashbacks of CocaCola, Windows, the TV, the Internet, you know really casual, mainstream power, not depended on trends and stuff.

:lol :lol you thought the DS could be as successful as the internet or tv. Too funny.

KINGMOKU

cvxfreak said:
DSL 104,487
PS2 24,727
PSP 21,603
GBASP 2,299
Xbox360 1,743
GBM 1,714
GC 653
DS 273
GBA 37
Xbox 3
Want to know how crazy DS sales have been? First thing I said when seeing the numbers is "wow what a drop-off".

Even though the DS hardware sales have been at a rate thats never been done before, and at record levels.

Only 104,000? Bah...

Parl

Nintendo have shifted a lot of focus on supplying NA and Europe, and are probably stockpiling DS units ready ofr Christmas. They're gonna want millions worldwide for this holiday season, so a stockpiling is essential. With even the UK alone expecting to have an extra one million DS Lite units sold by the end of the year - in comparison, they've sold 1.7m so far.

I think that next year, once the sales have died back down and Nintendo continue to improve their stocking of Ds units, then we shall see a return to the 150,000 per week DS Lite units, partially assisted by the Wii inspiring certain people to look for what else Nintendo has to offer and because an expected massive buzz for DS this Christmas that will inspire a lot of word-of-mouth victims to make a purchase.

DSXBoy

With the release of Custom Robo this week, Common Sense Training next week & Kirby the week after next, DS Hardware sales should remain well above 100k. I expect a huge boost in sales when common sense training is released - 26 Oct. :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Parl said:
With even the UK alone expecting to have an extra one million DS Lite units sold by the end of the year - in comparison, they've sold 1.7m so far

not sure how they plan to sell all those DS in the UK given the ****-poor software lineup NOE have planned for 2006 Q4 - 2007 Q1

Burnst

MrSardonic said:
not sure how they plan to sell all those DS in the UK given the ****-poor software lineup NOE have planned for 2006 Q4 - 2007 Q1
Don't you get it, they're trying to get the demand down.

cvxfreak said:
DSL 104,487
PS2 24,727
PSP 21,603
GBASP 2,299
Xbox360 1,743
GBM 1,714
GC 653
DS 273
GBA 37
Xbox 3

First thing I thought when I saw the DS numbers was "damn, that's low":lol

DS is a monster

cvxfreak

Square2005 said:
cvxfreak can you check Famitsu TOP30/HW?

I just checked with the hawt lady four desks over who updates the Famitsu website every afternoon, and she says they'll be up when I ask her out on a date.

So they'll never come now, sorry.

loosus

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I just checked with the hawt lady four desks over who updates the Famitsu website every afternoon, and she says they'll be up when I ask her out on a date.

So they'll never come now, sorry.
I knew homosexuality was ruining the world. :(

cvxfreak

loosus said:
I knew homosexuality was ruining the world. :(

WHAT?!

There's only ONE woman in my world.

laughing2.gif

You know that the whole world has been turned upside down when people get dissapointed by the fact that the DS only sold five times more units than the PSP. :lol

mj1108

cvxfreak said:
DSL 104,487
PS2 24,727
PSP 21,603
GBASP 2,299
Xbox360 1,743
GBM 1,714
GC 653
DS 273
GBA 37
Xbox 3

Only 104,000??? Doomed.

Scalemail Ted said:
is this like the game console version of the movie "speed"?

Yes, and Iwata is Keanu Reeves and Shiggy is Sandra Bullock.

*cues Photoshoppers*

Joe Molotov

MrSardonic said:
:lol :lol you thought the DS could be as successful as the internet or tv. Too funny.

The DS is pretty hot right now, but it's nothing compared to fire! Now that's a real invention.

cvxfreak

h-121_61946_061103hard.jpg.jpg

Man, if you think about it, the DS Pokemon stockpiling really just means shafting other weeks of shipments. Meanwhile plenty of DSLs are in stock in the US.

cvxfreak said:
h-121_61946_061103hard.jpg.jpg

Man, if you think about it, the DS Pokemon stockpiling really just means shafting other weeks of shipments. Meanwhile plenty of DSLs are in stock in the US.

except I've noticed it's difficult to find a black DSL in my area (Houston) atm. I haven't checked too hard, but none of the gamestops/best buys i've been to in the last week have had any.

Top Bottom