• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
timetokill said:
The genre works fine on handhelds. What you mean is that games that cater especially to graphics whores are not going to work on handhelds.
I also think that the genre could work fine on handhelds, but i dont know if it is mainly the graphical differences between a console and a handheld car simulator that determain the sales. Although i think that the graphics is one thing that makes the Gran Turismo games popular, i dont think that it is mainly the graphics alone that makes Gran Turismo on console popular.

I think other reasons that makes console GT games popular is that you can play them on a big screen and that you can use wheels and pedal. On a handheld system, the screen is smaller and you can't use wheels and pedals (it might be possible to connect the handheld system to a TV though. And technically it might even be possible to use wheels and pedals on a handheld system as well, but i dont think something like this excist today?). Having more detailed graphics in a car simulator is probably only a positive thing though, but i dont think that it is mainly the graphics alone that decides if a car simulator sells well or not :)

When it comes to much Gran Turismo PSP has sold so far, i am under the impression that it was the lack of a career mode that hurt the sales the most, and not neccesarily the less detailed graphics compared to Gran Turismo 5/GT5: Prologue. Maybe GT PSP would have sold more if there was a career mode in the game, but who knows. And maybe car simulators like Gran Turismo might not translate just as good over to a handheld system because you have a smaller screen and that you can't use wheels and pedals. I havnt played that much of the GT games though, and i havnt tried GT PSP yet, so unfortunately i cant say for sure though.

timetokill said:
... which makes them graphics whores. There's a reason they have that pretty photo mode right?
Sure, the developers of Gran Turismo think that it is important to make the game looks as realistic as possible indeed, but there is nothing wrong with that? :) I know that you havnt said that there isnt anything wrong with that, but doesnt "graphics whores" in this case have a bit of a negative sound/chime to it? Maybe i am reading too much into the use of "graphics whores" though, so please tell me if i am reading too much into it :)

poppabk said:
I was just joking based on the fact that the '3rd parties don't sell on Nintendo' meme is predicated on Nintendo's first party being too strong competition, which is obviously not true given the right 3rd party product.
Ah ok, i understand. It is true what you say, i agree :) I just wanted to ask to be sure that what i wrote earlier wasnt understood as that i had said something that 3rd party games doesnt sell on Nintendo systems :)

Nirolak said:
Apparently the God Eater demo got 1 million downloads:

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/05/god-eater-demo-hints-at-future-success/

While this doesn't guarantee success, it does seem the game is at least getting a lot of exposure.
Cool info, i wonder how the sales would look like compared to how many times the demo was downloaded :)

cvxfreak

Was the Famitsu Top 30 released for the week FFXIII came out?

Just wondering because I have the issue with me right now.

New Mario is sold out in Tokyo, shops gives from 4.000 to 4.500yen for used copy, and last week a new copy was sold at 4.900yen...

all poor kids with a lot of money in their pockets and their beloved (and maybe long awaited) game is not on the shelves...

also i noticed remotes are hard to find

if Nintendo doesn't provide a quick restock, used copies could fill the market and satisfy the high demand for the game.
or maybe this is just a strategy to keep the demand alive for the next months, considering the poor line-up Wii has for the incoming months (as someone said in the past days iirc)

Road

cvxfreak said:
Was the Famitsu Top 30 released for the week FFXIII came out?

Just wondering because I have the issue with me right now.
I don't think so. We have only the top 20 available on Yahoo and Oricon now; no 21-30 or non-rounded hardware numbers.

cvxfreak

1. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 1,516,532
2. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. - 570,512 / 1,972,070
3. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection - 187,920 / 2,065,023
4. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - 109,327 / 3,233,477
5. [WII] Wii Fit Plus - 103,831 / 1,164,331
6. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard - 84,597 / 816,356
7. [WII] Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Big Adventure - 72,532 / 184,842
8. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny - 53,229 / 488,298
9. [WII] Wii Sports Resort - 50,041 / 1,456,794
10. [PSP] Queen's Blade - Spiral Chaos - 49,977

11. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 - 48,365 / 131,892
12. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 48,153 / 396,118
13. [NDS] Penn 1 Grand Prix: Penguin no Mondai Special - 40,554 / NEW
14. [NDS] Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics - 37,795 / 120,457
15. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 - 29,883 / 76,021
16. [PS3] Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - 28,220 / 145,611
17. [PSP] Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus - 27,434 / 313,726
18. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel - 25,370 / 80,934
19. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 24,143 / 5,626,553
20. [PSP] Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Ancel 3 - 23,064 / 93,905
21. [WII] Mario Kart Wii - 21,739 / 2,410,416
22. [WII] Tales of Graces - 21,400 / 164,709
23. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 - 20,918 / 181,432
24. [NDS] Stitch! DS - 20,434 / 53,340
25. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics - 20,371 / 96,704
26. [NDS] Katei Kyoushi Hitman Reborn! DS Ore ga Boss! Saikyou Family Taisen - 18,177
27. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - 17,749 / 4,075,011
28. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 12 - 17,285 / 67,909
29. [NDS] Fresh Purikura! Asobi Collection - 16,685 / 65,483
30. [NDS] Dora Base 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium! - 16,398 / 57,671

PS3 - 245,406
WII - 208,035
DSI - 185,822
PSP - 78,289
DSL - 12,550
360 - 7,114
PS2 - 3,405
PSP Go - 3,235

Road

Thanks.

Actual numbers for Famitsu 12/21-12/27

NDS - 263,463
WII - 245,952
PS3 - 125,438
PSP - 112,035
360 - 7,181

did someone say earlier that dq9 sold 55k over the last 2 weeks? If so the 18k last week would mean 37k this week and give us an idea of other numbers

Road

frankie_baby said:
did someone say earlier that dq9 sold 55k over the last 2 weeks? If so the 18k last week would mean 37k this week and give us an idea of other numbers

Updated with non-rounded figures:
Chris1964 said:
We have some numbers for Famitsu (Dec. 21-27).

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 513.080 / 2.485.150
02. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 246.925 / 2.311.948
04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 181.724 / 1.698.256
05. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 149.120 / 3.382.597
06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
07. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
09. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Namco Bandai)
10. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5)

xx. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) - 25.957 / 4.100.968

Gran Turismo Portable's problem is that it wasn't a good enough product for either audience it could have been aimed at. For a lot of the console GT fans, it wasn't pretty enough and was stuck on a handheld. For the PSP fans, it wasn't a fully featured game. I've seen a lot of products that try to hit two or more diverse markets, but I've rarely seen a product so carefully created as to avoid appeasing any possible audience.

Onesimos

Road said:
Thanks.

Actual numbers for Famitsu 12/21-12/27

NDS - 263,463
WII - 245,952
PS3 - 125,438
PSP - 112,035
360 - 7,181

How do they compare with Media Create's numbers in the same time frame?

Wii 215,129
NDS 213,109 (DSi/DSi LL, DS Lite models)
PS3 110,519
PSP 109,993 (PSP, PSP-Go models)
360 6,489
PS2 3,747

By looking at the numbers, it seems that Media Create has greatly undercounted the Wii (30,823) and the NDS (50,354). I had to wonder why, as the other systems are not greatly undercounted.

Road

king zell said:
28/12 - 3/1 top 10 Famitsu

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1231011_1796.html

Mario Kart Wii is back in the top 10

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
03. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
04. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
05. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)
08. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)
09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) (Capcom)
10. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

I'm scared for the Wii hardware this week. haha

Rock_Man

cvxfreak said:
19. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 24,143 / 5,626,553

Looks like it can become the number one seller on DS after all.

linecomparegamejp.php

Onesimos

Road said:

Not only has Mario Kart Wii returned to the Top 10, but Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) as well. The latter is due to another discounted release last month.

If only Capcom does this with Monster Hunter 3 (tri), it will eventually reach one million copies in Japan.

swerve

Onesimos said:
If only Capcom does this with Monster Hunter 3 (tri), it will eventually reach one million copies in Japan.

MH3 is available all over the place for 1/3 of its launch price already, first hand. There's plenty of supply left in the stores. What that game needed this holiday was more marketing.

And online voice chat.

cvxfreak

Onesimos said:

I dunno about that...

2uskkl4.jpg

¥1980 for the standalone, ¥3980 for the bundles. :lol

Road

Rock_Man said:
Looks like it can become the number one seller on DS after all.

linecomparegamejp.php
From what we have so far for 2009:

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 254,366 / 5,626,553
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl - 84,805 / 5,709,235 (Aug. 23rd)

NSMBWii huge success will certainly help that. In 2008 NSMBDS didn't even appear in the top 30 in December.

swerve

I'd be very surprised if it's above last week considering it was much more readily available back then.

This logic is predicated on the assumption that Nintendo did not supply a huge amount of stock last week that still sold out. So basically, I have no idea ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Gran Turismo Portable's problem is that it wasn't a good enough product for either audience it could have been aimed at. For a lot of the console GT fans, it wasn't pretty enough and was stuck on a handheld. For the PSP fans, it wasn't a fully featured game. I've seen a lot of products that try to hit two or more diverse markets, but I've rarely seen a product so carefully created as to avoid appeasing any possible audience.

I think you're confusing the serendipitous, spontaneous, and magical failure of a rushed side project (which GT PSP is) with the kind of jawdropping, calculated, and explosive failure of a design level flop (say, the PS3's original retail specs, launch price, and software lineup--or the Virtual Boy).

Shiggy

cvxfreak said:
I dunno about that...

2uskkl4.jpg

Oh, now I understand. There's a MH3 shortage because the store in that picture stockpiles it.

C.T.

cvxfreak said:
I dunno about that...

I'm just curious. Is this shot from Softmap, den den town? Looks like it, especially because of the 980 Yen SF Feather.

onken

Wow, MHP2G and MKW back for more.

Onesimos said:
Not only has Mario Kart Wii returned to the Top 10, but Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) as well. The latter is due to another discounted release last month.

Please don't bold stuff unless necessary, it's really annoying.

onken

noobie said:
is FFXIII going to stay above 100k this week.?
By this week i mean 28-12-2009 - 3-1-2010

I'd say that's a fairly safe bet, 5th place hasn't been below 100k for the last 2 weeks and this week should be the biggest week.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mario Kart Wii is the most successful franchise this gen. It is highly probable it will reach the 30 millions mark, which is quite insane when you think about it.

As I previously said, Nintendo just needs to have a new Mario Kart at launch for its next console to secure its success.

d+pad

Stumpokapow said:
List of games supporting Wii Speak:
Animal Crossing
Endless Ocean 2
The Conduit
NBA 2K10
NHL 2K10

Which means we can expect Wii Relax and little else to support the Vitality Sensor, right? Sigh.

BTW, can anyone here provide me with a list of all of the Nintendo-published titles that support the Balance Board and MotionPlus? I can only think of four that support the former (Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Music and Punch Out!!) and one that supports the latter (Wii Sports Resort).

To get back on topic, though, it'll be interesting to see the numbers that go with the week of 12/28-1/3. Did Nintendo get enough NSMBW into stores? How did FF XIII hold up? And how many Wii games made it into the top 30/50.

You know Nintendo has to be pleased with the week--all three of their most recent Wii releases, along with MK Wii, of all games, are in the top 10!

d+pad said:
Which means we can expect Wii Relax and little else to support the Vitality Sensor, right? Sigh.

BTW, can anyone here provide me with a list of all of the Nintendo-published titles that support the Balance Board and MotionPlus? I can only think of four that support the former (Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Music and Punch Out!!) and one that supports the latter (Wii Sports Resort).
You are way off.

Balance board has a ton of games: Shaun White, Rabbids TV blah blah, super monkey ball, all star cheer squad, Tetris party, rock n roll climber, we ski, and a ton more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Balance_Board#Wii)

Motion plus: Tiger woods '10, grand slam tennis, and several upcoming games.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Motion_Plus)

gerg

d+pad said:

Probably.

Nintendo creates peripherals to support its software, not the other way around.

Vinci

Danish
Road said:
01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
03. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
04. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
05. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)
08. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)

I'm scared for the Wii hardware this week. haha

Wonder what 11 and 12 are. Takes a brand-new FF game and MH to keep it from being Nintendo domination entirely. Good lord.

Vinci

Danish
gerg said:
Probably.

Nintendo creates peripherals to support its software, not the other way around.

The hardware is only going to see attention from Nintendo if it comes standard in the system's box, never beyond one or two products if it comes separate. It's how they've always operated.

And yes, that means I agree with you.

Fularu

Banned
Vinci said:
The hardware is only going to see attention from Nintendo if it comes standard in the system's box, never beyond one or two products if it comes separate. It's how they've always operated.

And yes, that means I agree with you.

The N64 memory pack is the exception, same with the rumble pack

Fularu

Banned
Vinci said:
Yeah, yeah. Don't get all historical with me.

Hey, you aren't wrong.. The GB camera, the GB printer, the SuperScope, the SuperGB, the Lan and Modem adapters, the GBA-GC connectivity, the balance board, the WiiWheel, the GC-microphone, the Wii Motion+...

They all fit ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fularu said:
Hey, you aren't wrong.. The GB camera, the GB printer, the SuperScope, the SuperGB, the Lan and Modem adapters, the GBA-GC connectivity, the balance board, the WiiWheel, the GC-microphone, the Wii Motion+...

They all fit ;)

the ereader

Stumpokapow said:
he said nintendo-published games
YAY FOR READING!

Sorry d-pad.

Zelda Wii is rumored for M+, and Rock n Roll Climber is Nintendo-published, but you pretty much had the list.

Edit: Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games also uses Balance Board.(published by Nintendo in Japan, correct)

d+pad

Stumpokapow said:
he said nintendo-published games

Yes, this. And don't misunderstand me, please--I'm not trying to troll Nintendo or anything. I'm just trying to come up with a list of Nintendo-published Wii titles that support these peripherals.

I know Wii MotionPlus is supported in the upcoming Zangeki no Reginleiv and supposedly will be supported (if not required) in Zelda Wii, but other than those titles and Wii Sports Resort, I can't think of any.

I guess I'm just sad that Nintendo doesn't make better use of such things. No one thought a BB-focused Wario Ware title would be a good idea, or a full-on platformer that apes the obstacle course mini-game in Wii Fit Plus? And no one can think of other ways to use MotionPlus than to swing weapons on Reginleiv and Zelda? Such wasted opportunity, really.

Top Bottom