• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

BlueWord

Big drop for FFXIII. I expected it to drop pretty sharply, but not this sharply.

And those NSMB:Wii sales are just wow.

LINK.AGE76 said:
The 10M by end of the fiscal year that Nintendo wants might happen in January :lol

Only if they're able to ship that many. ;) Can't wait to see December NPD. I'm predicting 2 million for December.

AniHawk

LINK.AGE76 said:
The 10M by end of the fiscal year that Nintendo wants might happen in January :lol

All they would have to do is get 3.3m to each region. Dunno how it's doing in Europe, but it's selling out in the US. If it can get to 3m this month in the US (1.6m for December... or a 15% increase), then it has a pretty damn good shot.

GCX

AniHawk said:
All they would have to do is get 3.3m to each region. Dunno how it's doing in Europe, but it's selling out in the US. If it can get to 3m this month in the US (1.6m for December... or a 15% increase), then it has a pretty damn good shot.
Out of the biggest PAL markets, it's been no 1 since release in France and Germany and in UK top 3 has been Wii domination for the whole December (WSR, WF+ and NSMBW).

I'd guess it's doing alright.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BlueWord said:
Big drop for FFXIII. I expected it to drop pretty sharply, but not this sharply.
It's not unusual actually.

FFX:
de2ssg.png

FFXII:
16hjknb.png

AniHawk said:
Most likely met and exceeded.

2D Mario is the shit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Like someone pointed out in the other MC thread, the FFXIII numbers are pretty good when you take into account the PS3 installed base. Now we'll see if FF can grow the install base. Have to admit, the price cut did wonders. FFXIII should help.

Vilix said:
Like someone pointed out in the other MC thread, the FFXIII numbers are pretty good when you take into account the PS3 installed base. Now we'll see if FF can grow the install base. Have to admit, the price cut did wonders. FFXIII should help.
If FFXIII doesn't help, consider it the PS3's swan song. Same for NSMB. If neither game causes a lasting impact after the holidays then what is left for them?

Tiktaalik

Holy fuck I knew Friend Collection had legs, but suddenly it's doing like "huge day one sales" on a week to week basis.

AniHawk

Thunder Monkey said:
If FFXIII doesn't help, consider it the PS3's swan song. Same for NSMB. If neither game causes a lasting impact after the holidays then what is left for them?

Gran Turismo 5 is the last big PS3 game that will have an impact on a worldwide scale.

Or it should. GT3 was a system seller, GTP was very much not, and GT4's sales are sorta hard to gauge as far as system selling power is concerned considering the fanbase already owned a PS2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AniHawk said:
Gran Turismo 5 is the last big PS3 game that will have an impact on a worldwide scale.

Or it should. GT3 was a system seller, GTP was very much not, and GT4's sales are sorta hard to gauge as far as system selling power is concerned considering the fanbase already owned a PS2.
I kind of wonder how many Gran Turismo fans already own a PS3 since it seems to be coming out so late in the generation.

duckroll

As for FFXIII's second week, the drop off is consistent with FFX-2 (along with the first week numbers), so if it stays on track, it'll stop at just about exactly 2 million. If it starts to drop off even more, it will stop just before 2 million just like FFX-2. Either way, this is definitely a bigger success than anyone on GAF predicted. :p

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Thunder Monkey said:

Well, for the PS3, I'd say GT5. But, honestly, if FFXIII doesn't become the killer app Sony needs then I'm not sure how GT5 would. I'm not saying the PS3 is going to fail! So, everyone can just relax. :D But, the IPs that made Sony a must have console are running out. It's just too soon to tell, and we may not know until the PS4 and WiiHD are released.

On the other hand, Nintendo has a few IPs to fall back on. If they could ever get some sort of Pokemon Online RPG/MMO out that would definately help. Plus, I'm sure they're working on more software apps for the non-gamers that made the Wii so successful in the first place.

duckroll said:
As for FFXIII's second week, the drop off is consistent with FFX-2 (along with the first week numbers), so if it stays on track, it'll stop at just about exactly 2 million. If it starts to drop off even more, it will stop just before 2 million just like FFX-2. Either way, this is definitely a bigger success than anyone on GAF predicted. :p
I should have predicted.

I thought GAFers were predicting too low... but I didn't really care enough to do it.:lol

Mario I expected to do well, but I figured it would hit this point in a month, not it's second week. It's doing insanely better then I expected. So in essence I expected FFXIII to do about as well as it is, but am a little shocked by Mario. I shouldn't be though, that fat Italian bastard has given me little reason to doubt him.

Week 1 -> Week 2

FFX: - 87 %
FFXII: - 87 %
FFXIII: - 87 %

(Famitsu for FFX, Media Create for FFXII/FFXIII)

Oh, and it's a spin-off, but that's the only FF who was launched at the same time in the year. (12/18, 12/17 for FFXIII)
Dissidia: - 64 % (Media Create)

Nirolak said:
I kind of wonder how many Gran Turismo fans already own a PS3 since it seems to be coming out so late in the generation.

GT5 probably will sell a lot of PS3 in europe where the series fucking big, in japan, I don't think it will push many PS3.

Last week -> This week

Inazuma Eleven 2: + 39 %
Tomodachi Collection: + 37 %
Wii Fit Plus: + 23 %
Layton 4: + 18 %
Pokémon HG/SS: + 12 %
NSMBW: - 11 %
FFXIII: - 87 %

AniHawk said:

Gah, the home consoles are dead in Japan.

The entire home console market won't even get to 17 million units combined.

Doomed I say.

AniHawk

Thunder Monkey said:
Gah, the home consoles are dead in Japan.

The entire home console market won't even get to 17 million units combined.

You're forgetting about Natal and how it will reshape the gaming landscape forever. I mean, a camera capturing your actions and putting it into a video game? I can't believe no one thought of that before!

gimmmick

HD gaming is non existence for Japan. The new mario game for the wii is truely a beast in software sales.

It still blows my mind that a tamagotchi still relevante in Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gimmmick said:
HD gaming is non existence for Japan. The new mario game for the wii is truely a beast in software sales.

It still blows my mind that a tamagotchi still relevante in Japan.
Tomodachi, not Tamagotchi.

It's a Mii based Sims/Animal Crossing game.

duckroll

I'm still not quite sure why people are saying consoles are dead, and HD gaming is non existent for Japan. That's a very... odd conclusion given recently sales in the past few months. :lol

Osuwari

Allan Holdsworth said:
I suspected Spirit Tracks wouldn't reach Phantom Hourglass. Sold less in 5 days than PH did in 2.
What's the Media Create LTD for PH?

didn't it come out on the 24th or 25th?
that's 3-4 days at most.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
So would the next sales chart or the sales chart after that be the last major shopping week for Japan for a while?

The week after will have Birth by Sleep, and it's still close enough to the new year, so it should be a healthy week. It might slow down a bit after that, but DQVIr comes out on the 28th, so it won't even be a month before the next big release.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
The week after will have Birth by Sleep, and it's still close enough to the new year, so it should be a healthy week. It might slow down a bit after that, but DQVIr comes out on the 28th, so it won't even be a month before the next big release.
Oh yeah, there are definitely quite a few major releases coming up, but I just meant in general terms of people being out and about shopping.

Thanks for the info.

AniHawk said:
You're forgetting about Natal and how it will reshape the gaming landscape forever. I mean, a camera capturing your actions and putting it into a video game? I can't believe no one thought of that before!
I thought Sony did that a few years ago?

duckroll said:
I'm still not quite sure why people are saying consoles are dead, and HD gaming is non existent for Japan. That's a very... odd conclusion given recently sales in the past few months. :lol

It won't last, and the home console market will die...

And I will feast on the carrion.

Yes Boss!

duckroll said:

No kidding! Two console games just sold about 2 million a piece in two weeks. Seems like they are alive and thriving.

legend166

AniHawk said:

Super Mario Galaxy saw a 25% increase from November to December 07. It wouldn't surprise me at at to see NSMB Wii sell 2 million in the US in December.

I think it's a lock to reach that 10 million goal.

Teddman

duckroll said:
Because PS3 couldn't even outsell Wii this year in Japan? That's a very huge harbinger.

PS3 had a dramatic price cut and FFXIII released. Wii had its weakest software year and is pretty much saturated in the market in Japan. Situation could not have been more favorable for PS3 to at least post better sales on the year overall.

And yet...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LINK.AGE76 said:
I bet it will. Another World looks fresh and new.

Fresh and new are rarely driving factors in sales. The name behind the art and L5's ability to market effectively to the DS audience are probably bigger factors.

Teddman said:
Because PS3 couldn't even outsell Wii this year in Japan? That's a very huge harbinger.

PS3 had a dramatic price cut and FFXIII released. Wii had its weakest software year and is pretty much saturated in the market in Japan. Situation could not have been more favorable for PS3 to at least post better sales on the year overall.

And yet...

That dosn't make sense, what is Wii LTD? 8M? Wii can still grow, DS is way past the 20M mark and still growing...

And PS3 will not end too far behind Wii, (this year), I doubt many people thought this could happen, when this year began....

AniHawk said:
NO THIS IS DIFFERENT

Yeah, it looks even laggier and unresponsive...totally different!

duckroll

Teddman said:

And yet...

Huh? I see... and here I was under the assumption that "dead" meant that there was no demand in the market whatsoever for any of the products and hence developers would no longer bother releasing any more products for it. I guess the definition of dead has changed quite a bit over the years and now it also refers to "second place competitors in a market which has shown it is able to sustain several platforms at once". Oh well.

AniHawk said:
NO THIS IS DIFFERENT
I HAVE BEEN CONVINCED

WHERE DO I SIGN

duckroll said:
Huh? I see... and here I was under the assumption that "dead" meant that there was no demand in the market whatsoever for any of the products and hence developers would no longer bother releasing any more products for it. I guess the definition of dead has changed quite a bit over the years and now it also refers to "second place competitors in a market which has shown it is able to sustain several platforms at once". Oh well.
When I say dead, I mean it in like an aging mans penis kind of dead. I mean yeah, it's still there, but it doesn't do much of anything. It occasionally makes a mess on itself, but it's rarely something you want to make attention of.

Teddman said:
PS3 will definitely end far behind Wii in Japan when this gen is finally over.

Wake up and smell the kimchi.

That dosn't mean it's not a healthy system, much like with the PSP and the DS

Edit: if that goes for what I said, I mean this year LTD, not total. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Relaxed Muscle said:
That dosn't make sense, what is Wii LTD? 8M? Wii can still grow, DS is way past the 20M mark and still growing...

And PS3 will not end too far behind Wii, I doubt many people thought this could happen, when this year began....
As of last week by Media Create:

NDS: 28,885,479
PSP: 13,496,281
WII: 9,226,215
PS3: 4,276,480
360: 1,196,305
PS2: 21,602,407

Teddman

Relaxed Muscle said:
And PS3 will not end too far behind Wii, I doubt many people thought this could happen, when this year began....
A lot of people thought it would actually exceed the Wii overall. It was outselling it week after week.

Don't act like this is not a dramatic slap in the face to the FF franchise and its hardware selling power. It's a definite sign the people are not willing to pay HD console premium in Japan, even for a top ranked franchise like Final Fantasy.

All I'm sayin'!

gogogow

Teddman said:

And yet...
I'm not so sure about Wii's software lineup being weak. There's NSMBWii, MHTri, ToG, Pokepark, Samurai Warriors, WiifitPlus, WSR, Momo2010.

And I doubt anyone would have predicted that the PS3 YTD sales would be this close to the Wii figures.

Top Bottom