• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 11 - 17, 2010

[NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) - 1150k
[PS3] End of Eternity (Sega) - 165k
[360] End of Eternity (Sega) - 55k
[PS3] Ar tonelico III (Namco Bandai) - 50k

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nirolak said:
I imagine it's because Nintendo just decides to make a new Mario game instead as they feel they will sell more.
This might be the case, but Yoshis Island DS was developed by Artoon, so Nintendo didn't necessarily have to decide whether to make a new Mario or a new Yoshi game but could instead have made both by assinging the task of creating the Yoshi game to Artoon, again. There isn't really a huge amount of platformers on the market right now, so releasing more than one platformer wouldn't have hurt all too much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, it seems I was wrong about the Natal part, but I got the several titles part right.

RBH said:
New Xbox 360 marketing campaign in Japan:

The latest series of 360 ads in Japan features a trio of salarymen from the "Xbox Mission Department". The guy with the Xbox 360 logo for a noggin is named Sanrokumaru, or literally three-six-o.

http://i49.tinypic.com/14cte2h.jpg[IMG]
This ad features features the Xbox Mission Department getting a new department. The bandaged department chief and injured Sanrokumaru are willing to risk limbs to get big name game titles. The department chief asks if the new department member has any questions, and he asks who Sanrokumaru is. Sanrokumaru, that's who!

Sanrokumaru speaks only through the Xbox 360's "X" noise.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2ebwfgm.jpg[/MG]
In the second ad, the three salarymen go to get Monster Hunter for the Xbox 360. Monster Hunter Frontier has recently been announced for the Xbox 360.

In each of the subsequent ads, it seems as though the businessmen will be going out and wrangling big name titles for the Xbox 360. There is a teaser for the next Xbox 360 title, which has been censored as "XXXX". What could it be?

Link to videos of the ads: [url]http://kotaku.com/5457124/new-xbox-japan-ads-are-reminiscent-of-old-dreamcast-ads[/url]

[url]http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/xbox360tokumeika/[/url][/QUOTE]

Any theories on what other titles they might have been able to get?

I do also have to eat crow from several months ago though on my theory that they pretty much dropped the market. It seems they just took the same one year break they basically took with the Western market as well.

Jeels

Nirolak said:
Well, it seems I was wrong about the Natal part, but I got the several titles part right.

Any theories on what other titles they might have been able to get?

I do also have to eat crow from several months ago though on my theory that they pretty much dropped the market. It seems they just took the same one year break they basically took with the Western market as well.

I actually have to commend them now for being so adamant. After last year, it was pretty much a lost cause. (Well it always was, but nonetheless.)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) - 950k
[PS3] End of Eternity (Sega) - 140k
[360] End of Eternity (Sega) - 40k
[PS3] Ar tonelico III (Namco Bandai) - 60k

Baki

C-Jo said:
Sure, why not. It would require next to no development effort, and there's bound to be a market amongst hardcore 360 players.

Wouldn't those guys have PS3's now?

@Nirolak: Now that I think about it, quite a few of the 7 titles will probably be NATAL games.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
About next DS million sellers. These are the old titles that have a chance to become non-games.

28/12/08 031 [NDS] Cooking Navi (Nintendo) - 117.332 / 948.817
01/03/09 032 [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) - 119.816 / 945.841
28/12/08 033 [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) - 106.310 / 939.125
28/12/08 034 [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 288.282 / 902.386
01/03/09 035 [NDS] Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (Level 5) - 307.771 / 880.330
27/12/09 036 [NDS] Style Savvy (Nintendo) - 86.446 / 879.427
27/12/09 037 [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 360.778 / 842.617

Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a sure bet. It may already be there when we get top 500.
Next two Laytons aren't dead yet. We will have a good idea for Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box legs from top 500.
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass unless it got a boost from Spirit Tracks is out of the game.
Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day is almost sure that will join the club if not this year then next.
Cooking Navi is the same case with Zelda.
Style Savvy seems to have slowed down a bit and remains a question.

So it is

30 million sellers already
+Professor Layton and the Curious Village
+Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day
+Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere
+Ni no Kuni: The Another World
+New yearly million seller from Nintendo
+Mario Party DS 2 (?)
+Inazuma Eleven 3 (?)

Square Enix could have another million seller this year but so far they have really dropped the ball with DS after DQ VI.

Famicom holds the record with 42 million sellers but isn't anymore unbeatable like some years ago.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
[NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) - 875k
[PS3] End of Eternity (Sega) - 125k
[360] End of Eternity (Sega) - 40k
[PS3] Ar tonelico III (Namco Bandai) - 40k

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chris1964 said:
12/07/09 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Capcom) - 823.265 / 2.453.152
27/12/09 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 19.829 / 1.110.614
17/01/10 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom) - / 136.699

27/12/09 [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 254.009 / 3.555.555

Monster Hunter wins even without the second re-release.
Wow, it's farther apart then I imagined. At this rate MHFU is what, half-a-year away from hitting 4M? Any bets if 3P could hit before that? :)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Predictions:

[NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) - 910k
[PS3] End of Eternity (Sega) - 120k
[360] End of Eternity (Sega) - 45k
[PS3] Ar tonelico III (Namco Bandai) - 55k

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fafalada said:
Wow, it's farther apart then I imagined. At this rate MHFU is what, half-a-year away from hitting 4M? Any bets if 3P could hit before that? :)
Well, the Monster Hunter cat game still doesn't have a release date to my knowledge, so I doubt we'll see MH3P before the second half of the year at least.

Road

Famitsu Top 10 Jan 18-24:

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
2. [PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2 (Sega)
3. [PSP] Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable (Namco Bandai)
4. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)
5. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix)
6. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
7. [WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Capcom)
8. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
9. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom)
10. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1231542_1796.html?ref=rss

Spiegel

Dengeki PS sales Jan. 11 - Jan. 17, 2010:

01. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix) - 176,485 / 687,239
02. [PSP] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - 29,257 / 29,257
03. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom) - 17,697 / 92,804
04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 16,669 / 1,817,605
05. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 13,390 / 555,561
06. [PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Codemasters) - 12,644 / 12,644
07. [PSP] Kentoushi: Gladiator Begins (Acquire) - 12,644 / 12,644

08. [PS3] Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 10,053 / 199,520
09. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 9,654 / 188,776
10. [PS3] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix) - 8,428 / 8,428

http://dps.dengeki.com/2010/01/25/p10589/

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
dolemite said:
What's the bounds on Valkyria 2? 50 to 100k or so?

Yeah, that's pretty likely. I'd say New Super Mario Bros. Wii is around 100k and Tomodachi Collection is around 45k, so I'd say Valkyria Chronicles 2 is in that range.

Looks like Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil took quite a hit this week, too.

MemoirsofMimi said:
Yeah, that's pretty likely. I'd say New Super Mario Bros. Wii is around 100k and Tomodachi Collection is around 45k, so I'd say Valkyria Chronicles 2 is in that range.

Resident Evil should be around 30k, not bad for a second week.

schuelma

MemoirsofMimi said:

NSMB Wii could be as high as 140K for all we know, so I think its possible VC2 did better than a 100K.

And RE: DC might have done ok..Wii Fit Plus did around 40K last week IIRC so its possible it did 25-30K.

Ahh to have a nice Famitsu leak :(

Road

Chris,

I ran across this MC data for Wii and PS3. It's old, but it might have figures for unimportant games that may not be in your database yet.

jett

D-Member
Looks like Final Fantasy THATEEN will have a hard time reaching 2 million without a re-release? Where are those that laughed at me when I said that a couple of weeks ago? :p

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
schuelma said:
NSMB Wii could be as high as 140K for all we know, so I think its possible VC2 did better than a 100K.

And RE: DC might have done ok..Wii Fit Plus did around 40K last week IIRC so its possible it did 25-30K.

Ahh to have a nice Famitsu leak :(

I personally don't think it could've reached 140k as it's been on a slow decline every week since the holiday effect wore off. The absolute highest I can see it at this week is 130k.

schuelma

MemoirsofMimi said:
I personally don't think it could've reached 140k as it's been on a slow decline every week since the holiday effect wore off. The absolute highest I can see it at this week is 130k.

I believe it went up last week in Famitsu.

schuelma said:
Doubtful. REDSC all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes under Valkyria PS3 start.

Seems pretty good for Nanoha though. Bandai knows the PSP userbase pretty well...

9. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom)
Thinking about this...given the resurgence just with a lower price, used sales must have been eating previous re-release numbers. I doubt its pulling better numbers now just for the hell of it, it must have been doing these numbers just with a bigger share of used sales before.

cvxfreak

This week's Famitsu confirms the Top 30 posted in the blog last week.

Famitsu Hardware for 1/11 - 1/17:

PSP: 72,713
DSI: 60,098
WII: 55,472
PS3: 37,442
DSL: 4,874
360: 3,755
PSO GO: 2,769
PS2: 3,755

confuziz said:
How is NSMBwii holding up against the DS version? is it still above it?
Yeah. This only includes the numbers through the week beginning December 28, but even if the Wii version stopped dead there it would take the DS version a couple months to catch up.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
This week's Famitsu confirms the Top 30 posted in the blog last week.

Famitsu Hardware for 1/11 - 1/17:

PSP: 72,713
DSI: 60,098
WII: 55,472
PS3: 37,442
DSL: 4,874
360: 3,755
PSO GO: 2,769
PS2: 3,755

Which means the top 50 was correct as well. Awesome

Road

The new Famitsu leak for the week is up on hachimaki. 101k for Valkyria Chronicles 2.

(Not sure if I should post them here...)

duckroll

Top10

NSMBW - 115k
VC2 - 101k
Nanoha - 76k
Friend - 56k
BbS - 54k
WiiFit+ - 33k
DSC - 18k
WSR - 16k
MHP2G - 14k
Pokemon - 14k

Other titles:

PSP2 - 9.8k
Last Window - 8.6k
FFXIII - 7.5k
Batman PS3 - 2.8k

Tales of Graces out of top50, < 2.4k

Road

It's the same blog from last week.

I'm at work so I can't translate it fast. They've put up now rounded numbers this time, though.

Strong sales for NSMB Wii again, FFXIII doesn't seem to have a hope of making 2 million now, DSC is falling off quickly and is probably going to end up around half the LTD of UC and BbS looks like it's not going anywhere near a million.

mugurumakensei said:
MH3 LTD 994,100

only 5.9k left to 1 million

Heh, it's nearly done it. Wonder whether it will be trumpeted by Capcom/Nintendo or just quietly acknowledged. It's certainly taken a while to get there, and the initial overshipment and subsequent price cuts obviously helped, but I think it's worth talking about - first third party million seller on a Nintendo console in, what, 10 years? More?

FFXIII is going to struggle to haul its carcass over 1.9 million at this rate.

The FF teams really need to have a pow-wow with the DQ guys about curbing the used market, because the contrast here is just scary.

duckroll

Cosmonaut X said:
Heh, it's nearly done it. Wonder whether it will be trumpeted by Capcom/Nintendo or just quietly acknowledged. It's certainly taken a while to get there, and the initial overshipment and subsequent price cuts obviously helped, but I think it's worth talking about - first third party million seller on a Nintendo console in, what, 10 years? More?

Didn't Capcom send out a press release when it launched announcing over a million units shipped? I don't think they'll want to put out another one just because they've actually sold that after 5 months. It might be of interest to people like us, but I don't think it serves any real purpose to Capcom.

Top Bottom