• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 18 - 24, 2010

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
Consoles tend to finally be over the holiday hump come mid-February. Still a few weeks to go to see where things shake out. Remember the "new PS3 baseline" talk in mid-January last year?

Yup. I do think its fair to say PS3 is going to settle at a lower point than where it was after the Slim.

And I imagine Wii might get down to 25K in the coming months with how barren the release schedule is.

I'm going to guess this was the PSP's last week on top for awhile. With BBS and VC2 out, there's not a big seller to keep it ahead of the DS anymore.

I'm unsure what Star Ocean will do, but it certainly seems like the franchise has fallen off the face of the earth. It probably would have had a better chance if it was multiplatform from the start.

Spiegel

Adding the sales of this week PSP passes 14 million sold mark

I'm going to guess this was the PSP's last week on top for awhile. With BBS and VC2 out, there's not a big seller to keep it ahead of the DS anymore.

God Eater will be a big seller

And looks like Mario Galaxy 2 won't be released in time for Golden Week

schuelma said:
Actual news from the Nintendo release list:

* Xenoblade (Wii, Spring 2010)
* Metroid Other M (Wii, Summer 2010)
* Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010)
* The Last Story (Wii, 2010)
* Kensakusu (Wii, TBA)
* Span Smasher (Wii, TBA)
* Start With 100 Words: English Conversation (Wii, TBA)
* Hoshi no Kirby (Wii, TBA)
* Line Attack Heroes (Wii, TBA)
* The Legend of Zelda (Wii, TBA)

Sipowicz

Banned
here's a thought lads (especially those of you in japan), what if the next final fantasy is DS2/PSP2 multiplatform.

Final Fantasy 3 sold a million and it's a remake of a NES title. meanwhile the infinitely more expensive final fantasy 13 which is a new game cant even manage 2 million.

according to the leak a few months back DS2 and PSP2 will have mad graphics but still not ridiculous dev costs like the hd consoles. this should make them perfectly viable for the game and also ensure they can have cutscenes and shit

maybe they can back to the more twee like final fantasy 9 or the old ones on snes instead of shittyn nomura linearity and cutscene heavy androgyny.

i would love that.

Weird - Metroid: Other M and Xenoblade (new name for Cosmic Walker?) are dated, but SMG2 is not? I was under the impression that SMG2 was further along than Other M...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Spiegel said:
DSi LL 24,059
DSi 20,373
DS Lite 4,966

So what's the position of DSi LL here - is it taking sales from DSi, or increasing the sales of DS units overall? In other words, how many of those 24,059 would've skipped on the DSi altogether if the DSi LL wasn't on the market?

schuelma

Spiegel said:
They seriously can't expect NSMB to carry the hardware until the release of the Vitality Sensor in summer, right? RIGHT?

They have XENOBLADE!!

Whatever the hell that is..

Seriously I've about given up trying to predict Nintendo. I can't fathom them actually having a worst 1st half than they had last year, but it certainly looks like that might happen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
schuelma said:
PSP, DS, and Wii are pretty much even.

PS3 is falling pretty hard..equal to Wii 2009 right now.
PS3 fell again this week but it probably won't fall any further until after End of Eternity and SO4 come out. I think it could even get a little bump the week EoE comes out.

schuelma

jj984jj said:
PS3 fell again this week but it probably won't fall any further until after End of Eternity and SO4 come out. I think it could even get a little bump the week EoE comes out.

If the PS3 is destined to fall next week, I can't imagine EoE doing more than lessening the fall..this isn't some huge AAA title we're talking about here..it will probably do pretty well, but I doubt its ability to prop up hardware.

What happened to Monado? Or is that now Xenoblade? Or is Cosmic Walker Xenoblade and Monado is a 2011 title?

I really wanna know what The Last Story is.

schuelma

Bel Marduk said:
What happened to Monado? Or is that now Xenoblade? Or is Cosmic Walker Xenoblade and Monado is a 2011 title?

I really wanna know what The Last Story is.

I could see it being Last Story..of course Monado is still listed in the N.A list so who knows.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
schuelma said:
If the PS3 is destined to fall next week, I can't imagine EoE doing more than lessening the fall..this isn't some huge AAA title we're talking about here..it will probably do pretty well, but I doubt its ability to prop up hardware.
I'm not saying it's going to move a ton of hardware, but being the first tri-Ace effort on PS3 I think it could prevent it from dropping to whatever the base-line will be until for a week or 2 after it launches.

Also Kirby! :lol Seriously, what's up with that title? Could Kirby possibly be that Nintendo Dream title they hinted at?

Edit: Actually might Monado be Xenoblade so they can give a nod to Xenosaga/Xenogears?

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
Consoles tend to finally be over the holiday hump come mid-February. Still a few weeks to go to see where things shake out. Remember the "new PS3 baseline" talk in mid-January last year?
The funny thing is that the Wii may have already won the battle for Q1. The Wii is already up by 105k with 9 weeks left in the quarter.

Not that long ago, most of this thread seemed convinced that the PS3 (with the steady stream of solid games and the Slim momentum) would easily top the Wii (with um, RE:DC and um, well nothing) and jump out to a nice lead in Q1.

It's kind of interesting watching the Wii likely outsell the PS3 this quarter (both hardware and software) with absolutely nothing but an RE spin-off that might sell 150k. Seriously, this has to be one of the worst release schedules for a full quarter that any system has ever had in Japan.

schuelma

Dalthien said:
The funny thing is that the Wii may have already won the battle for Q1. The Wii is already up by 105k with 9 weeks left in the quarter.

Not that long ago, most of this thread seemed convinced that the PS3 (with the steady stream of solid games and the Slim momentum) would easily top the Wii (with um, RE:DC and um, well nothing) and jump out to a nice lead in Q1.

It's kind of interesting watching the Wii likely outsell the PS3 this quarter (both hardware and software) with absolutely nothing but an RE spin-off that might sell 150k. Seriously, this has to be one of the worst release schedules for a full quarter that any system has ever had in Japan.

I thought that might happen, especially when we heard about the GT5 delay from March.

What I'm wondering about is April on..at least judging from the release list the only 1st party possibility is Xenoblade, whatever the hell that is. And of course absolutely nothing is announced 3rd party. Surely Nintendo doesn't think they can get away with this for 6 months...right?

KingDizzi

Banned
What is expected of GT5 in Japan though? The franchise is in decline there and GT5:p sales are inflated due to it being bundled around holiday '08 I think it was. I think it will do very well to pass 1 million at best (without pack-in sales).

gogogow

Dalthien said:

You make it sound like the Wii is beating the PS3 in sales with no software, while in reality the Wii is selling because of NSMBWii.

I think it's more interesting that the Wii is "likely" gonna outsell the PS3 or even the discussion that it's gonna beat the PS3 in sales, while it all used to be a walk in the park for the Wii. The PS3 has come a long way.

Xeke

Banned
gogogow said:
You make it sound like the Wii is beating the PS3 in sales with no software, while in reality the Wii is selling because of NSMBWii.

I think it's more interesting that the Wii is "likely" gonna outsell the PS3 or even the discussion that it's gonna beat the PS3 in sales, while it all used to be a walk in the park for the Wii. The PS3 has come a long way.

No, the Wii has fallen a long way.

schuelma

gogogow said:

Hmm. I think perpectives and expectations in this thread have changed a lot since last September.

gogogow

Xeke said:
No, the Wii has fallen a long way.
No, last I checked the PS3 isn't selling 8k-10k a week. So the PS3 has come a long way.

schuelma said:
Hmm. I think perpectives and expectations in this thread have changed a lot since last September.
Sure, but there were also those who believed the PS3 would go back to (sub) 10k, go back to pre-slim sales, while it stayed above 30k for the rest of the year.

Dalthien

schuelma said:
I thought that might happen, especially when we heard about the GT5 delay from March.

What I'm wondering about is April on..at least judging from the release list the only 1st party possibility is Xenoblade, whatever the hell that is. And of course absolutely nothing is announced 3rd party. Surely Nintendo doesn't think they can get away with this for 6 months...right?
I actually wouldn't be surprised if that is what they are essentially trying to do. It seems to be essentially the same strategy as last year. Put your big guns out there for the back half of the year, and then ride those big guns well into the new year.

It failed miserably when the big guns were Animal Crossing and Wii Music. But it seems like they are basically going with the same strategy again, except with much bigger guns this time (NSMB, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort).

In terms of straight-up comparisons, they could actually release absolutely nothing else between now and July and they should still be up quite comfortably year-over-year for the 1st-half of the year. The Wii sold 622k the first half of 2009. They are already at 343k with another 22 weeks left to go.

I certainly wouldn't be recommending that strategy, but it seems to be what they are stuck with. The problem with digging yourself such a deep hole is that it can be very difficult to climb back out of it. They managed it successfully in the back half of last year. Can they do it again in 2010?

gogogow said:
Ha ha - that's actually my point. Most of GAF just outright ignored the possibility of NSMB continuing to sell hardware well into the new year. Like once the holidays were over, the effects of such a monstrous title would just disappear. I didn't understand it - but that was the mindset of many.

gogogow said:
If we were having this conversation 12 or 18 months ago, I'd completely agree. But the PS3 has been tracking pretty closely with the Wii for the better part of a year now. The days of "OMG, the PS3 is challenging the Wii!" have long since passed.

donny2112

gogogow said:
The PS3 has come a long way.

Yea, PS3! You've made it up to the crap levels Wii was doing last year, which just happen to be less than the quickly-approaching-crap levels Wii is doing this year! But guess what? It's all crap! Woo-hoo!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait Metroid: Other M is actually Summer?

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Edit:

Though the lack of a season on Galaxy 2 seems to imply it comes later. Perhaps August 25th like rumored? Chris will not be happy about this if true.

schuelma

Dalthien said:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if that is what they are essentially trying to do. It seems to be essentially the same strategy as last year. Put your big guns out there for the back half of the year, and then ride those big guns well into the new year.

I guess..but as things stand things look even worse this year. I mean..the 3rd party lineup is literally empty. I think the biggest release in March is a Miffy game :lol

Sipowicz said:
here's a thought lads (especially those of you in japan), what if the next final fantasy is DS2/PSP2 multiplatform.

Final Fantasy 3 sold a million and it's a remake of a NES title. meanwhile the infinitely more expensive final fantasy 13 which is a new game cant even manage 2 million.

according to the leak a few months back DS2 and PSP2 will have mad graphics but still not ridiculous dev costs like the hd consoles. this should make them perfectly viable for the game and also ensure they can have cutscenes and shit

maybe they can back to the more twee like final fantasy 9 or the old ones on snes instead of shittyn nomura linearity and cutscene heavy androgyny.

i would love that.
Heres a question how did FFIII DS do in the rest of the world. How did FFIVDS do in Japan or the US?

FFXIII is a big worldwide franchisee. I don't think SE just budgets the game based on how it will do just in Japan.

And screw you. Nomura is cool as is cutscene presentation.

gogogow

donny2112 said:
Yea, PS3! You've made it up to the crap levels Wii was doing last year, which just happen to be less than the quickly-approaching-crap levels Wii is doing this year! But guess what? It's all crap! Woo-hoo!
I was only talking about the PS3 in general, how it's doing much better compared to the erm...PS3 itself, not doing 8k anymore and all. I don't think I said anything bad about the Wii, but whatever.

schuelma

gogogow said:
I was only talking about the PS3 in general, how it's doing much better compared to the erm...PS3 itself, not doing 8k anymore and all. I don't think I said anything bad about the Wii, but whatever.

Well, its not like it was doing 8K at this same point last year- it did 18K last year during this equivalent week.

gogogow said:

The PS3 last year, roughly the same week sold 17,708. Only 7k improvement over last year, and it's probably going to fall to about that level for a bit in February, between releases. It hasn't gotten far enough away from the holidays yet to make any statement on whether or not the PS3 is really improving substantially or not, but it would have to stay at about this level to make any moderate headway.

Bebpo

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Also Kirby! :lol Seriously, what's up with that title? Could Kirby possibly be that Nintendo Dream title they hinted at?

Edit: Actually might Monado be Xenoblade so they can give a nod to Xenosaga/Xenogears?

I'm pretty sure Monado IS Xenoblade. Between it being by the Xenoteam and the main character having a BIG LIGHTSABER BLADE....:lol the connection seems there.

Stupid name, but if it's anything like Soma Bringer it should be a good game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
thestopsign said:
The PS3 last year, roughly the same week sold 17,708. Only 7k improvement over last year, and it's probably going to fall to about that level for a bit in February, between releases. It hasn't gotten far enough away from the holidays yet to make any statement on whether or not the PS3 is really improving substantially or not, but it would have to stay at about this level to make any moderate headway.
You might want to fix your avatar by the way. Scarlet is cracking down on that soon.

Ok, those numbers are just weird. Last year (up until this week) I would've thought that PS3 would stay at a high constant level this spring, while Wii would drop off to it's shitty numbers from last spring. All based on their momentum and software lineup. But it seems that NSMBW is completely changing the picture. It seems to be propelling the Wii hardware up all by itself. Let's see what the PS3 does the coming weeks with it's pretty good (especially compared to Wii) line up.

schuelma

Souldriver said:
Ok, those numbers are just weird. Last year (up until this week) I would've thought that PS3 would stay at a high constant level this spring, while Wii would drop off to it's shitty numbers from last spring. All based on their momentum and software lineup. But it seems that NSMBW is completely changing the picture. It seems to be propelling the Wii hardware up all by itself. Let's see what the PS3 does the coming weeks with it's pretty good (especially compared to Wii) line up.

NSMB Wii is going to easily outsell anything the PS3 has out for Q1. Easily. I agree that PS3 has the far better lineup, but sales wise its not all that spectacular.

Bel Marduk said:

I'm pretty sure they said it will be based on a popular franchise, so chances are high for Kirby. The wait has been very hard and long, I bet it's due :D

Edit: I also Believe Xenoblade is Monado in Japan. Wasn't there a game that was published from Namco called Xenoblade in America? So the name is still Monado due to name copyrights?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Not to discount pure install base again since it's always an advantage, but as always it's important to note who NSMB Wii is selling the Wii to (and which games they will buy, by which company) versus who Slim & lineup is selling PS3 to, and then to compare the number of old school gamers vs the FF gamers. The ratios match up I imagine, as they should, and the former audience does not need more than 1 game every 6 months.

LINK.AGE76 said:
Wasn't there a game that was published from Namco called Xenoblade in America? So the name is still Monado due to name copyrights?

Namco released Xenosaga and Starblade, but nothing called Xenoblade.

Agnates

Banned
schuelmal said:

* Kensakusu (Wii, TBA)

Sweet. What's Xenoblade and The Last Story? Though, that list needs more Cosmic Walker...

duckroll

If I had to guess I would say:
Monado -> Xenoblade
Cosmic Walker -> The Last Story

Unless Cosmic Walker is canned, since there's no way it's a 2011 title.

Dalthien said:

It failed miserably when the big guns were Animal Crossing and Wii Music. But it seems like they are basically going with the same strategy again, except with much bigger guns this time (NSMB, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort).

In terms of straight-up comparisons, they could actually release absolutely nothing else between now and July and they should still be up quite comfortably year-over-year for the 1st-half of the year. The Wii sold 622k the first half of 2009. They are already at 343k with another 22 weeks left to go.

I certainly wouldn't be recommending that strategy, but it seems to be what they are stuck with. The problem with digging yourself such a deep hole is that it can be very difficult to climb back out of it. They managed it successfully in the back half of last year. Can they do it again in 2010?

I think Nintendo plans to release SMG2 at end year, and if that is what they will do, it definetly won't do the same that NSMBWii did.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if the game Neo posted about is a regular Pokemon (which I think that's what the article was getting at), this will be the most consecutive years with a Pokemon game release in Japan. It will also be the most on the same platform to an extent, since if my memories serves me, the Game Boy Color games ran on the Game Boy.

1996: Pokemon Red/Green (GB)
1997:
1998: Pokemon Yellow (GB)
1999: Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC)
2000: Pokemon Crystal (GBC)
2001:
2002: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA)
2003:
2004: Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA)
2005: Pokemon Emerald (GBA)
2006:
2007: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (NDS)
2008: Pokemon Platinum (NDS)
2009: Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (NDS)
2010: Pokemon 2010 [Seemingly Gen 5] (NDS)

Out of curiosity, do people think this will have a positive or negative effect on sales, or none at all?

Khrno

Nirolak said:
Out of curiosity, do people think this will have a positive or negative effect on sales, or none at all?

If going by HG/SS is any indication, product saturation hasn't reach any critical levels yet, the only thing I can see people complaining about having a yearly Pokemon release (of the main games and third versions, including remakes but not spin-offs), however keeping main series entries within 3-5 years of each other (as most main Nintendo games) won't affect the sales or brand perception, spin-offs will take care of ruin it if it follows the path of FF instead of DQ.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. / 38. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Sega)
32. / 28. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai)
33. / 36. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision)
34. / 00. [NDS] Stitch! DS Rhythm and Ohana Adventure (Disney Interactive)
35. / 25. [PS3] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix)
36. / 40. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson)
37. / 30. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
38. / 31. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)
39. / 34. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)
40. / 50. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
41. / 00. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
42. / 37. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
43. / 35. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
44. / 32. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
45. / 39. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai)
46. / 43. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)
47. / 00. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Capcom)
48. / 46. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
49. / 49. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami)
50. / 41. [PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai)

00. / 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) - 961.643 / 6.347.777 (-20%)

NDS - 15
WII - 13
PSP - 12
PS3 - 9
PS2 - 1
360 - 0

HARDWARE

Code:
|  NDS  |     49.398  |     64.284  |    399.640  |  29.498.228  |
|  WII  |     45.167  |     57.349  |    343.143  |   9.784.487  |
|  PS3  |     26.966  |     35.156  |    238.081  |   4.625.080  |
|  360  |      3.344  |      4.622  |     20.304  |   1.223.098  |
|  PS2  |      2.088  |      2.580  |     11.783  |  21.617.937  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     20.373  |     27.292  |    190.304  |   4.436.789  |
| DSiLL |     24.059  |     30.418  |    170.341  |     606.605  |
|  DSL  |      4.966  |      6.574  |     38.995  |  17.869.363  |
|  PSP  |     52.909  |     71.186  |    402.688  |  14.019.505  |
| PSPgo |      1.773  |      2.027  |     10.543  |      82.395  |

duckroll

Hey, I remember a week or two ago, there was some discussion about Nintendo's retailer meetings and something about an "announcement" conference or something which got cancelled right? Did anything come out of that, like do we have a date for a future announcement or anything? Just curious considering the new stuff listed on their financials.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

* Kensakusu (Wii, TBA)

Where is Wii Relax?

duckroll said:
Hey, I remember a week or two ago, there was some discussion about Nintendo's retailer meetings and something about an "announcement" conference or something which got cancelled right? Did anything come out of that, like do we have a date for a future announcement or anything? Just curious considering the new stuff listed on their financials.
Hoshi no Kirby March 20 (believe).

Top Bottom