• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 12-18, 2009

gogogow

sinseers said:
must say I'm a little surprised Forza 3 charted in the land of the rising sun.
Not really surprising, Forza 2 sold 31.225 copies LTD. But Forza 2 (Platinum collection) sold 100.591 copies. Japanese gamers are getting more interested in the series.

gogogow

JoshuaJSlone said:
The Forza 2 Platinum release is crazy high, but I believe a big chunk of that was a dual Viva Pinata / Forza 2 release.
Was it a pack-in with the 360 or a standalone release?

Jokeropia

I think we've reached a common position on pretty much all of the issues now, I'll just answer this question.
test_account said:
But i was thinking if the first day numbers are higher, then it must sell more copies to gain the same percentage increase. For example, Killzone 2 went from 20k to 43k, which is an increase of 115%. If Killzone 2 had sold 30k the first day instead of 20k, it would have to sell 64.5k instead of 43k to have a 115% increase. That is 21.5k copies more, and it might be more difficult to sell 64.5k compared to 43k. While a game that sells 1k the first day just needs to sell 1.15k copies to achieve a 115% increase, which might be an easier accomplishment. Do you see what i mean?
Right, but what I'm going for is that big games that get a lot of sales in their first day generally have an easier time reaching a specific absolute number in the following days than games that open slowly. For example, it's generally easier for a game that opens at 800k first day to sell an additional 200k and reaching 1 million by first week, than it is for a game that opens at 50k to sell an additional 200k to reach 250k by first week. Relatively speaking it's a much bigger accomplishment for the second game since it would have to increase it's sales pace while the first game just needs to avoid dying off completely.

jesusraz

Road said:
Numbers from Sinobi:

05. [NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 45,000 / NEW
06. [360] Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft) - 30,000 / NEW
So that means yet another very good week for Inazuma Eleven 2! Fantastic news. With such strong sales it surely HAS to be a lock for a Western release now. Level-5 needs to get the anime out here in Europe, then bring the first game over asap.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
I think we've reached a common position on pretty much all of the issues now, I'll just answer this question.
Ye, i think so too :)

Jokeropia said:
Right, but what I'm going for is that big games that get a lot of sales in their first day generally have an easier time reaching a specific absolute number in the following days than games that open slowly. For example, it's generally easier for a game that opens at 800k first day to sell an additional 200k and reaching 1 million by first week, than it is for a game that opens at 50k to sell an additional 200k to reach 250k by first week. Relatively speaking it's a much bigger accomplishment for the second game since it would have to increase it's sales pace while the first game just needs to avoid dying off completely.
Ah ok, i understand, thanks for the explanation :) I first thought that you ment that first day numbers wasnt that relevant when it comes to percentage increase from first day sales to the first week sales, i am sorry for the missunderstanding :\ But ye, there is probably a bigger chance for a game that sells for example 800k the first day to increase 200k to the first week numbers compared to a game that sells 50k the first day as you say, that is true, i agree :)

I know that i have said this before, but even if i ask many questions and write long posts, it is just because i am wondering about things and i like to discuss things :) I dont mean to quarell (i think that is the english word for it at least? Like "discuss "just" to discuss" if you know what i mean?) or anything like that and i dont mean anything negative or disrespect towards anyone if i ask many questions just to underline that. When i ask several of questions and write longer posts, it is because i wonder about stuff and that i have much that i want to say :) I just wanted to mention this again because i wrote many questions and some longer posts in this discussion.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions! :) And thanks for the discussion! :)

EDIT: I added some text.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
We should get the full Famitsu leak later tonight.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
jesusraz said:
So that means yet another very good week for Inazuma Eleven 2! Fantastic news. With such strong sales it surely HAS to be a lock for a Western release now.

Really wish you're right, Holly&Benji (Captain Tsubasa) was and still is uber popular here, but man they need to move their asses otherwise by the time the second (third?) game releases in EU the DSi2 will be out :lol

7Th

Dash Kappei said:
Really wish you're right, Holly&Benji (Captain Tsubasa) was and still is uber popular here, but man they need to move their asses otherwise by the time the second (third?) game releases in EU the DSi2 will be out :lol

How Inazuma Eleven is still unreleased in Europe boggles my mind. It couldn't be a more perfect fit for the demographic!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 118.000 / 2.756.000
02. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 88.000 / 699.000
03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 52.000 / 1.466.000
04. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 49.000 / 486.000
05. [NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 41.000 / 41.000
06. [360] Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft Game Studios) - 32.000 / 32.000
07. [PS3] FIFA 10: World Class Soccer (Electronic Arts Victor) - 20.000 / 20.000
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 19.000 / 1.319.000
09. [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE) - 18.000 / 72.000
10. [PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Special (Koei) - 18.000 / 18.000
11. [PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE)
12. [PSP] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Unmei no Meikyuu Aizouban (Koei)
13. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)
14. [PSP] Undead Knights (Tecmo)
15. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
16. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami)
17. [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus Co.)
18. [PSP] Macross: Ultimate Frontier (Namco Bandai)
19. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 4 (Konami)
20. [PSP] Antiphona no Seikahime: Tenshi no Gakufu Op.A (Nippon Ichi Software)
21. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai)
22. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision)
23. [360] FIFA 10: World Class Soccer (Electronic Arts Victor)
24. [PSP] Fullmetal Alchemist: Trust the Person in the Back (Namco Bandai)
25. [PSP] Everybody's Cleaner (SCE)
26. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
27. [PS3] Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Playstation 3 the Best) (SCE)
28. [WII] Okami (Capcom)
29. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce Special (Koei)
30. [360] Steins; Gate (5pb.)

AniHawk said:
Wow, Uncharted 2 bombed worse than Wii Fit Plus.

I don't know about that, Wii Fit Plus got outsold by freaking Pokemon. (a remake too)

Edit:

PSP - 10
NDS - 7
PS3 - 6
WII - 4
360 - 3

Sony family wins!

AniHawk

vicissitudes said:
I don't know about that, Wii Fit Plus got outsold by freaking Pokemon. (a remake too)
And Uncharted 2 is being outsold by both. I guess the Uncharted fad is finally over after so many years.

AniHawk said:
Wow, Uncharted 2 bombed worse than Wii Fit Plus.

That was a surprise? The games labeled as "Wii Anything" are the console games with more feet ever. The main userbase of Wii Fit + don't prereserve the game and goes the first day, is a game that is spread with mouth to ear, ads and presentations in tv programs, that don't even know that the game is launched until they see promotions in TV, and that don't go running to the mall to buy it when they know it, and they wait until they have to go to the mall for something else.

Uncharted 2 is an occidental game in a japanese market. A kind of game bought by a small minority that is very informed and usually buys the game in the first days (and, probably, reserve it).

DangerousDave said:
That was a surprise? The games labeled as "Wii Anything" are the console games with more feet ever. The main userbase of Wii Fit + don't prereserve the game and goes the first day, is a game that is spread with mouth to ear, ads and presentations in tv programs, that don't even know that the game is launched until they see promotions in TV, and that don't go running to the mall to buy it when they know it, and they wait until they have to go to the mall for something else.

Uncharted 2 is an occidental game in a japanese market. A kind of game bought by a small minority that is very informed and usually buys the game in the first days (and, probably, reserve it).

You do know that you just responded seriously to Anihawk right?

test_account

XP-39C²
Chris1964 said:
No famitsu leak yet and no update at the drill blog. Nintendo results and DSi LL must have frozen Japan.
What is DSi LL?

EDIT: Ah, is it the new DSi with bigger screen (or maybe both screens)?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
I guess that wraps it up for any hopes of Strange Journey doing anything remotely close to what SMT3 did.

it's because the game is set in antarctica! they underestimated the weaboo import audience!

Jokeropia

test_account said:
I know that i have said this before, but even if i ask many questions and write long posts, it is just because i am wondering about things and i like to discuss things :) I dont mean to quarell (i think that is the english word for it at least? Like "discuss "just" to discuss" if you know what i mean?) or anything like that and i dont mean anything negative or disrespect towards anyone if i ask many questions just to underline that. When i ask several of questions and write longer posts, it is because i wonder about stuff and that i have much that i want to say :)
It's a respectable position. Sometimes your walls of text and tendency to question a lot of statements can seem a bit daunting, but I try to keep in mind that your intentions are all honest.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It's a respectable position. Sometimes your walls of text and tendency to question a lot of statements can seem a bit daunting, but I try to keep in mind that your intentions are all honest.
Thanks! :) Ye, i do write long posts sometimes and asks many questions indeed, so i fully understand that reading all of it can be a bit daunting as you say. The reason why my posts becomes so long sometimes is because i feel that i have much that i wanted to say, so i write everything that i can think of, so i dont have to think later on something like "i should have written that" if you know what i mean? Therefor i write basicly everything that i think of that i want to say and/or ask. I guess that i can write shorter posts though, i will try that the next time.

When i write things i might unfortunately not always write in a way so it is easy to see what tone i have, compared to if i had spoken the same things instead of writing them. So i just wanted to say that if i write long posts and/or asks many questions (or if i write short posts and/or ask few questions as well for that matter), my intentions are indeed all honest :) I never mean to quarrel and i never mean any disrespect towards anyone in what i write and in the questions that i ask just to underline that :)

Top Bottom